Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The technology just hasn't advanced enough yet. Maybe after a few more years of R&D.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
The fact that airtags don’t have family sharing is a baffling oversight (or intentional mistake). My sister can locate my mom’s phone, watch, and AirPods, but not a remote control or her keys?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Also for the random times where it decides to notify me about my wife's AirTag following me, I sure would like an option to be like "yes I recognize this AirTag, stop notifying me about it"

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

mawarannahr posted:

Do they work everywhere?

Well, they claim to do a similar thing to Apple as long as someone has the tile app on their phone, but I guess now that everyone turns "let app find devices via bluetooth" off it probably doesn't work anymore.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Duckman2008 posted:

Having used both:

Tile is not good enough because not enough people use a tile where it’ll ping it if you lose it. So it really only works if you lose whatever it is in your house or car.

AirTags are TOO good , which is great in that you’re likely to find your stuff, but not great in that it apparently is a really good tool for stalking people.

I’m not saying don’t use AirTags, I use them myself. I’ll be the first to admit that when they came out and there were concerns on tracking I was like “eh, other devices like tile have been internet and there haven’t been issues,” but yeah I think the reports show that it def is something that is unfortunately abused. And I legit don’t have an answer on fixing it tbh.

I don’t understand how AirTags work for stalking with the privacy controls in place. I’ve been on a single bike ride with someone who had one on their bike, and my iPhone showed a message saying the tag was following me and did I want to disable it?

Does that not work? I’m sure non iPhonenisers won’t see that, but there are a lot of us.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Yeah, all the stories about “stalker using AirTags to track someone” boil down to “I found out my ex was stalking me when I got an alert I was being tracked” and that’s working exactly as designed then?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

wooger posted:

I don’t understand how AirTags work for stalking with the privacy controls in place. I’ve been on a single bike ride with someone who had one on their bike, and my iPhone showed a message saying the tag was following me and did I want to disable it?

Does that not work? I’m sure non iPhonenisers won’t see that, but there are a lot of us.

Again, I am not saying Apple is evil for making them, or should outright ban them or whatever. But it’s a really good debate for the product and has serious ramifications.

Long story short, it’s one of those things where no matter what you do, some people will just be lovely and use it to abuse and harm others.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2022/12/apple-airtags-are-now-the-weapon-of-choice-for-stalkers-lawsuit-says/

“But the AirTags are also so small that they can easily go undetected, especially when stalkers alter the devices to make them harder to find. For one woman suing, Lauren Hughes, her ex-boyfriend allegedly used a Sharpie to color the AirTag and hide it inside the wheel well of her car. The other woman suing, who remains anonymous out of fear for her physical safety, found an AirTag that her “estranged husband” had allegedly planted in her child’s backpack. When she removed the device from the backpack, it was soon replaced by another.”

“Another solution that Apple has implemented is playing sound notifications when an AirTag is detected, chiming an alert at 60 decibels (“as loud as a normal conversation between two people,” the complaint says). This is not an effective solution, the complaint says, for hearing-impaired people or anyone located in a loud environment when the warning sounds. It also doesn’t help when stalkers cleverly place the device out of hearing range. In Hughes’ case, with an AirTag hidden in the wheel well of her car, she’d likely never hear the warning chime, and when she attempted to engage the AirTag feature to chime when she was searching for the hidden device, the chime only rang once.”

“For now, victims like the women suing expect they will remain in danger of being unknowingly tracked as long as AirTags are sold as currently marketed.

“The risks involved with a product like this being abused still seem like they far outweigh the convenience of finding a misplaced set of keys,” the complaint says.”

I’ve worked in phones 13+ years, I don’t deal in any way directly with issues, but I can tell you I’ve seen / heard people do extremely lovely things when it comes to tracking and stalking.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I got a iPhone 11 pro max from my partner for free and it's an upgrade from my SE2. It's awesome, I love it, and I have it in the best case, the saddle brown leather case, which new on eBay is only $11.99. Blessed. Love big phone.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Never had a MagSafe phone before; how well does it work with cases of average thickness (like Apple leather)? Should I go caseless if I plan to use something like a ProClip magsafe car mount? 99% sure I’ll go for a 15 when it comes out so wondering what to expect.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Minidust posted:

Never had a MagSafe phone before; how well does it work with cases of average thickness (like Apple leather)? Should I go caseless if I plan to use something like a ProClip magsafe car mount? 99% sure I’ll go for a 15 when it comes out so wondering what to expect.

I use a "Gripmunk" MagSafe case, relatively inexpensive and average in every way. I have a MagSafe PopSocket that attached to the back, and it takes maybe as much force as you'd open a fridge with to remove it. It doesn't fall or slide off unless I mean to.

I would assume MagSafe car mounts hold them secure enough. BTW I wasn't expecting to like the popsocket as much as I do but I really like it for watching video and resting on a wet countertop without soaking the case.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Minidust posted:

MagSafe only works if you are caseless or you get a case with MagSafe comparability. Aka it’s built into the case.

If you are going to use a MagSafe car mount get a MagSafe case. 100%.

I don’t use the car mount, but After a few years this year I did get a MagSafe compatible case, and have been using both a few chargers and also the wallet and the otter box battery MagSafe. I will say, super useful , not loc for death, but I like it for the battery charger alone.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

LionArcher posted:

I got a iPhone 11 pro max from my partner for free and it's an upgrade from my SE2. It's awesome, I love it, and I have it in the best case, the saddle brown leather case, which new on eBay is only $11.99. Blessed. Love big phone.

Went from an SE to an 11 Pro. Saddle brown case too. :gerty:

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Macichne Leainig posted:

Also for the random times where it decides to notify me about my wife's AirTag following me, I sure would like an option to be like "yes I recognize this AirTag, stop notifying me about it"

FCKGW posted:

Yeah, all the stories about “stalker using AirTags to track someone” boil down to “I found out my ex was stalking me when I got an alert I was being tracked” and that’s working exactly as designed then?

I got some AirTags for Christmas and put one in my car. My wife has driven the car (without me) SEVERAL times since then. Never got the "an AirTag is following you" notice. I just figured that since she and I are on the same family plan, that it was smart enough to not notify her.

Nope, she just got the notification yesterday. So she's been driving around for a month and a half with this AirTag in the car and no notification for some reason.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
I have an AirTag in my wallet that I bought to replace a Tile wallet card. The AirTag sucks and it’s constantly telling me I’ve left the wallet behind when my wallet is in my pocket

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Yeah the AirTag notification is really hot or miss and you're currently sol if you're being tracked with an AirTag and have an android.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I've been using AirTags since they launched and have only had one erroneous notification from one of them.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
I was on a business trip for a multi day meeting and so got to have my first “you might be being stalked” notification because of a colleague’s AirPods. Which is pretty neat and also illustrates the problem that stalkers can use any device with an anti loss location feature to track you. AirTags just get the attention because they are new and their only job is tracking things.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I have never gotten a notification that I'm being followed by my wife, and I only get notifications that things were left behind when they were left behind.

My AirPods give me a left behind notification once in awhile, however.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

mawarannahr posted:

I use a "Gripmunk" MagSafe case, relatively inexpensive and average in every way. I have a MagSafe PopSocket that attached to the back, and it takes maybe as much force as you'd open a fridge with to remove it. It doesn't fall or slide off unless I mean to.

I would assume MagSafe car mounts hold them secure enough. BTW I wasn't expecting to like the popsocket as much as I do but I really like it for watching video and resting on a wet countertop without soaking the case.

Duckman2008 posted:

MagSafe only works if you are caseless or you get a case with MagSafe comparability. Aka it’s built into the case.

If you are going to use a MagSafe car mount get a MagSafe case. 100%.

I don’t use the car mount, but After a few years this year I did get a MagSafe compatible case, and have been using both a few chargers and also the wallet and the otter box battery MagSafe. I will say, super useful , not loc for death, but I like it for the battery charger alone.
aha makes sense, thanks!!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Minidust posted:

I use the Apple one and it’s just as thin as my old Spigen case was. My only complaint is that it’s more grippy and constantly turns my pocket inside-out when I pull it out.

I just put a MagSafe Proclip in my car and it owns.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I got the belkin 3-in-1 charging stand with MagSafe and converted to MagSafe life.

I really hope it takes off too with Qi2.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

I have never gotten a notification that I'm being followed by my wife

Sorry that your wife is extremely good at stalking, rip you.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

A friend of mine borrowed my car while hers was being worked on, and her iPhone kept sending her notifications that I was tracking her because my AirTag was in her purse all day.

They definitely need to roll out family tags.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Spatial audio is so disappointing. Up there for most disappointing Apple features ever. Total garbage move to promote it as some new era genuine DSP improvement like the M1 chips were for CPUs, in reality it sounds chintzy, like bad quality speakers, and isn't that cool. They should have spent that capital on something else. And left it as some back page settings feature if anything.

Yeah I'm mad tonight.

Corb3t posted:

They definitely need to roll out family tags.

Would be cool I think. Although I wonder if there is a related thing they will build and charge $ for.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

There was never any possibility it was anything other than marketing. There's not a lot of unbroken ground when it comes to playing an album. I had some albums mixed in 5.1 by the artist like 20 years ago and it was neat but not neat enough to worth the hassle, which seems to be the exact conclusion everyone else came to since it was only a thing for a few years.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

TOOT BOOT posted:

There was never any possibility it was anything other than marketing. There's not a lot of unbroken ground when it comes to playing an album. I had some albums mixed in 5.1 by the artist like 20 years ago and it was neat but not neat enough to worth the hassle, which seems to be the exact conclusion everyone else came to since it was only a thing for a few years.

Hahaha I forgot all about the 2 channnel to 5.1 algorithm craze in that era 20 years ago also, thanks for the nostalgia. I feel almost exactly the same way about those as I do about spatial audio.

That was when I was getting into electronics and all the big name AV receivers, and still do, have 15+ of those bad boys for Cinema, Hall, Forest Pasture, etc.

e: I have a 2.1 setup for my home theater and for the amount of stuff I don't watch on phones or LCD screen that works fine too, haven't wanted 5.1 in a while. Maybe someday again soon.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i dunno how you could read this patrick bateman rear end poo poo as anything other than pure adspeak

Only registered members can see post attachments!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's absolutely a marketing gimmick, if you can do neat sounding new feature with nothing but code, why not? It's free marketing.. the first time you can turn your head around and the audio moves with you is pretty cool. But you desensitize to it really quickly.

It has some weaknesses too, I rendered out a mono only mp3 from one of my synths and put it in itunes for preview and the spatial audio decided it needed to create a stereo field for me and it ended up sounding like a mono track in a hollow room. Good try computer but I wish you hadn't.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Sorry your ears don't work, or maybe it's just a gimmick when used for music, but Spatial Audio is INSANE for watching TV. I remember the first time I used it watching TV with my AirPods Pro in my ears, my wife was asleep in the next room and once the Universal logo came on I scrambled for the remote because I was SURE that the sound was booming through my apartment.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

OldSenileGuy posted:

Sorry your ears don't work, or maybe it's just a gimmick when used for music, but Spatial Audio is INSANE for watching TV. I remember the first time I used it watching TV with my AirPods Pro in my ears, my wife was asleep in the next room and once the Universal logo came on I scrambled for the remote because I was SURE that the sound was booming through my apartment.

Using air pods pro at the laundromat and i swear the sound is coming out of my iPad at the same time; the directionality is spooky as hell.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

xzzy posted:

It's absolutely a marketing gimmick, if you can do neat sounding new feature with nothing but code, why not? It's free marketing.. the first time you can turn your head around and the audio moves with you is pretty cool. But you desensitize to it really quickly.

It has some weaknesses too, I rendered out a mono only mp3 from one of my synths and put it in itunes for preview and the spatial audio decided it needed to create a stereo field for me and it ended up sounding like a mono track in a hollow room. Good try computer but I wish you hadn't.

Spatial audio doesn't do anything worthwhile with audio that doesn't have spatial cues built in, yes.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Kalman posted:

Spatial audio doesn't do anything worthwhile with audio that doesn't have spatial cues built in, yes.

It doesn't do anything worthwhile with audio that does have "spatial cues built in" either :smugdon:

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

How do I know if my video or audio has spatial poo poo? I got airpods pro but I don’t know how to find content that uses the feature.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Vegetable posted:

How do I know if my video or audio has spatial poo poo? I got airpods pro but I don’t know how to find content that uses the feature.

Anything that's surround mixed will work pretty well, Dolby Atmos stuff that's properly mixed will work even better.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Vegetable posted:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT2...ereo%20content.

The wording in Control Center will differ based on if content supports it, and Apple Music has specific sections for it, but other than that no way to filter AFAIK.

Absolute Zeroes
Apr 1, 2011
Seen this conversation on spatial come up here a few times but spatial audio and an actual discrete 5.1+ sound system is incredible via Atmos. Screw RTF on headphones tho unless it’s a ps5 game. That poo poo seems to work good!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Spatial audio is dumb and I wish there was an option to disable it (is there?).

I’ll be trying to watch a tv show while folding laundry or some poo poo. When I’m looking down at the clothes, it’ll be centered, but when I look up to see what’s happening, I’ll just get audio in my right ear or whatever.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Latest rumors about the next iPhone release is that Apple is loving about with the presumed USB-C port by doing MFi kinda things with some auth chip. I mean, the thing is still far off into fall, but it kinda sounds typically Apple.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Inner Light posted:

Spatial audio is so disappointing. Up there for most disappointing Apple features ever. Total garbage move to promote it as some new era genuine DSP improvement like the M1 chips were for CPUs, in reality it sounds chintzy, like bad quality speakers, and isn't that cool. They should have spent that capital on something else. And left it as some back page settings feature if anything.

Yeah I'm mad tonight.

Would be cool I think. Although I wonder if there is a related thing they will build and charge $ for.

Whether people like it or not, expect spatial audio to be a marketing thing all the audio company’s throw at us.

Sonos is rolling out a whole replacement of their base to medium speakers and the rumors say it’ll be focused around spatial audio and whatever. I’m a super big Sonos fan, have a speaker on every room and tv , but lol I’m not upgrading any of them just for something like that (I’ve debated the sound bar but keep going eh).

I don’t know if I’ve used any spatial audio yet (I don’t think I have) but I’m not that big of an audio file. Im just happy with solid speakers , and a sound bar + subwoofer for the tv specifically (I have a basic surround sound setup but even that isn’t make or break IMO).

Btw, as I type this, I would assume spatial is a bigger deal for headphones than speakers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Spatial audio is dumb and I wish there was an option to disable it (is there?).

There is.