Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Russad
Feb 19, 2011
My FOMO on that DK skin outweighed my better judgement and I threw down 1K gold for the dumb brawl. Immediately went 0-2 with a control priest deck and figured I was just going to forget the new hero portrait, then managed to outgas a rogue by the skin of my HP. The next opponent conceded after the mulligan, so I figured I at least had a shot. Managed to plaguespreader something important in my next opponent's hand, because he spent all game trying to stop it from dying (freeze mage) and then conceded once I got it killed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.
It's probably not going to win any meta awards but I've been having great fun with this.

### Mur-lock
# Class: Warlock
# Format: Wild
#
# 2x (1) Grim Rally
# 2x (1) Rock Bottom
# 1x (1) Sir Finley, Sea Guide
# 2x (1) Wicked Whispers
# 2x (2) Azsharan Scavenger
# 2x (2) Bluegill Warrior
# 2x (2) Chum Bucket
# 2x (2) Crabrider
# 2x (2) Lushwater Scout
# 2x (3) Bloodscent Vilefin
# 2x (3) Murloc Warleader
# 2x (3) Twin-fin Fin Twin
# 1x (4) Old Murk-Eye
# 2x (4) Seadevil Stinger
# 2x (5) Gorloc Ravager
# 1x (7) Mutanus the Devourer
# 1x (8) Gigafin
#
AAEBAa35AwTgBabvA+WwBPXHBA3jBfO9AtyGA9DhA5HkA5ToA9WyBL60BIC1BOO9BJzHBO7TBP7YBAA=
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

Kind of tempted to renethal it up for some more cheap drops, there's not really much on 1 right now, but every other card is just so good so I don't want to cut.

Olpainless fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Feb 6, 2023

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Russad posted:

My FOMO on that DK skin outweighed my better judgement and I threw down 1K gold for the dumb brawl. Immediately went 0-2 with a control priest deck and figured I was just going to forget the new hero portrait, then managed to outgas a rogue by the skin of my HP. The next opponent conceded after the mulligan, so I figured I at least had a shot. Managed to plaguespreader something important in my next opponent's hand, because he spent all game trying to stop it from dying (freeze mage) and then conceded once I got it killed.

lol nice

I couldn't even contemplate playing the brawl because I will struggle to get to the 2k gold for the mini set by next week.. the downside of being a bad arena player is your are always kind of on a gold budget lol

I do imagine my experience would have been kind of like yours except that after I lost the second game to go 0-2 blood would have started pouring out of my eyes and ears and my head would have melted like in Indiana Jones

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
I do wish they'd let you trade a certain amount of arena tokens for brawliseum. I've got about 20 built up now because I just don't play arena.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Welp, they're actually doing it. They're sun-setting mercenaries. What a failed experiment.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
So will the mercenaries tutorial finally leave my quest log?

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
That only came out in 2021 right? The pandemic years are a bit of a blur. Either way, jeez, the numbers must have been truly diabolically bad.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Lister posted:

Welp, they're actually doing it. They're sun-setting mercenaries. What a failed experiment.

yeah Mercenaries was released on October 12th, 2021 which means that it's only been 15 full months from the time it debuted to getting mothballed lol.. sad to see that they couldn't figure out a way to make something out of it.

I will be expecting a similar announcement for duels sometime soon

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
Duels still has a lot of streamer attention, it'll be fine for now.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

The real question is if it and Tavern Brawl switch places on the main menu

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?

Lister posted:

Yay I can finally open the 134 packs I’ve hoarded and not feel bad.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Lister posted:

I know it's for the best and the content model for adding more units to Mercenaries doesn't work when you stop adding new bosses, but there's something really melancholy about the update that finally makes the faction system visible in-game, the update that adds something that could be an interesting challenge long-term and makes it feel like an actual game, is the final real update it's going to get. It just makes me think about how incomplete the mode felt for so much of its existence.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

I've played a stupid amount of Mercenaries because I was always interested in the idea of a single player Hearthstone mode and the basics of doing bounties and gathering treasures and everything always appealed to me. The PvP mode, in my opinion, ruined the chance for Mercenaries to be anything since it was 100% bad from the very first day of release up until the current date; any energy they spent doing anything with Mercs PvP should have been spent on the actually functional game mode.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
Blizzard isn’t doing so well, I think, the quarterly report that just came out shows Dragonflight underperformed and they didn’t even mention Hearthstone at all…

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Olpainless posted:

I do wish they'd let you trade a certain amount of arena tokens for brawliseum. I've got about 20 built up now because I just don't play arena.
You can just click through a draft real fast and then retire it right away for a pack and a bit of dust/gold instead of sitting on tickets you're not using

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Blizzard isn’t doing so well, I think, the quarterly report that just came out shows Dragonflight underperformed and they didn’t even mention Hearthstone at all…
Overwatch 3 will fix this.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
That's a shame, people seem to be enjoying Dragonflight but it's probably paying for the sins of the last 2 expansions and also the idea of paying £12 a month to play a game these days is tough.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

thebardyspoon posted:

That's a shame, people seem to be enjoying Dragonflight but it's probably paying for the sins of the last 2 expansions and also the idea of paying £12 a month to play a game these days is tough.

And overwatch 2 was just literally overwatch 1 with all the monetization turned up to 11. Tryna sell skins like it’s Fortnite except you never get to see your player character lol

Russad
Feb 19, 2011
Mercenaries wasn’t great, but I liked it for what it was. A little bummed, honestly, but not overly surprised. They had talked about a new difficulty above heroic for bounties (legendary, I think) “coming after launch”. And, uh, yeah. It’s been over a year.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Russad posted:

Mercenaries wasn’t great, but I liked it for what it was. A little bummed, honestly, but not overly surprised. They had talked about a new difficulty above heroic for bounties (legendary, I think) “coming after launch”. And, uh, yeah. It’s been over a year.
That (along with 6 more Mercenaries) is going to be the final patch we're getting.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Olpainless posted:

Duels still has a lot of streamer attention, it'll be fine for now.

It’ll be out of beta any day now!

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Huh, well maybe this will break my habit of doing my daily bounties. Can’t see a reason to interact with the boss rush mode once I’ve farmed enough renown to fully level everything. Using the mode to farm renown to buy bonuses just for the mode is distinctly unappealing when the payoff is just getting more renown from the mode. With single digit games of PVP played, a sitting here with a couple dozen mercs a single equipment upgrade off from maxed (and 2 legendaries craftable but untouched in case of free merc packs) maybe I do just finish the collection off and declare that I completed the mode without buying a single pack. Only 6 more after all…

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Blasmeister posted:

Huh, well maybe this will break my habit of doing my daily bounties. Can’t see a reason to interact with the boss rush mode once I’ve farmed enough renown to fully level everything. Using the mode to farm renown to buy bonuses just for the mode is distinctly unappealing when the payoff is just getting more renown from the mode. With single digit games of PVP played, a sitting here with a couple dozen mercs a single equipment upgrade off from maxed (and 2 legendaries craftable but untouched in case of free merc packs) maybe I do just finish the collection off and declare that I completed the mode without buying a single pack. Only 6 more after all…

I mean, in theory you do it because you enjoy the Mercenaries gameplay and want to play more of it without also being a pointless grind. But so much of Hearthstone is already built around encouraging those external rewards (battle passes, weekly quests in multiple different modes, the ranked ladder, etc) that playing in modes that don't fulfill those feels like a waste of time.

(Of course, every time I've stopped playing Hearthstone it's because I realize I'm only playing to finish those game-adjacent goals and not because the game is fun, so I'm a bit biased.)

Russad
Feb 19, 2011

NorgLyle posted:

That (along with 6 more Mercenaries) is going to be the final patch we're getting.

Yeah, I saw the mythic mode. And maybe that's what the legendary difficulty has eventually been morphed into, but it stands out to me as a distinct new way of playing, rather than a more difficult version of bounties. It sounds more interesting than "heroic bounties but more difficult", but my point was mostly just that they had said they would be dropping a new difficulty and then just went radio silent. Overall, not particularly surprised that they're dropping it into maintenance mode.

Oh well, still should be fine for knocking out "deal X type of damage" quests.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/overwatch-2-helps-activision-blizzard-rake-in-record-bookings

They had a record breaking 4th quarter?

fanny packrat
Mar 24, 2018
I'm having a lot of fun with shadow priest. Played other stuff to D5, now I'm bored of it and climbing with this list. The weapon is so good in this meta, and incorporeal corporal into whispers is minefield with a 1 mana 5/5. Great for clearing up early boards, but even silencing your DR minions can be the right play. I haven't pulled off a good attenfan-astalor turn yet, mostly because games are over around turn 7 at the latest.

So far it's felt strong into big spell mage, UUU DK, Warlock, blood DK, frost mage, and paladin. I've had problems against thief rogue just because they can generate so much healing and taunt, but if they whiff on recon it's not hard to get under them.

Mull for weapon and spells, don't keep corporal or whispers alone, and you have a good chance to draw one of your 3 drops in time. Careful playing attendant early, especially against DH. I love when priest gets to play aggro.

### shadow whisper
# Class: Priest
# Format: Standard
# Year of the Hydra
#
# 2x (0) Undying Allies
# 2x (1) Animate Dead
# 2x (1) Shadowcloth Needle
# 2x (1) Voidtouched Attendant
# 1x (1) Whispers of the Deep
# 1x (2) Astalor Bloodsworn
# 2x (2) Incorporeal Corporal
# 2x (3) Brittleskin Zombie
# 2x (3) Cathedral of Atonement
# 2x (3) Haunting Nightmare
# 2x (3) Shadowed Spirit
# 2x (4) Bonecaller
# 2x (4) Grave Digging
# 1x (4) High Cultist Basaleph
# 2x (4) Void Shard
# 1x (5) Darkbishop Benedictus
# 2x (5) Shadow Word: Undeath
#
AAECAd3cBQS79wOjtgT5lgXipAUNoegD9PEDiPcDrfcDk/EE1PEEhoMFpJEFpZEF7pEFhpMFiZMF6pQFAA==
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Yeah and to hear them say it Netease was no big deal things will be fine this year.

Oh poo poo watch out fourth quarter in-game net bookings were the highest ever for overwatch activision is on a roll.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

fanny packrat posted:

I'm having a lot of fun with shadow priest. Played other stuff to D5, now I'm bored of it and climbing with this list. The weapon is so good in this meta, and incorporeal corporal into whispers is minefield with a 1 mana 5/5. Great for clearing up early boards, but even silencing your DR minions can be the right play. I haven't pulled off a good attenfan-astalor turn yet, mostly because games are over around turn 7 at the latest.

So far it's felt strong into big spell mage, UUU DK, Warlock, blood DK, frost mage, and paladin. I've had problems against thief rogue just because they can generate so much healing and taunt, but if they whiff on recon it's not hard to get under them.

Mull for weapon and spells, don't keep corporal or whispers alone, and you have a good chance to draw one of your 3 drops in time. Careful playing attendant early, especially against DH. I love when priest gets to play aggro.

### shadow whisper
# Class: Priest
# Format: Standard
# Year of the Hydra
#
# 2x (0) Undying Allies
# 2x (1) Animate Dead
# 2x (1) Shadowcloth Needle
# 2x (1) Voidtouched Attendant
# 1x (1) Whispers of the Deep
# 1x (2) Astalor Bloodsworn
# 2x (2) Incorporeal Corporal
# 2x (3) Brittleskin Zombie
# 2x (3) Cathedral of Atonement
# 2x (3) Haunting Nightmare
# 2x (3) Shadowed Spirit
# 2x (4) Bonecaller
# 2x (4) Grave Digging
# 1x (4) High Cultist Basaleph
# 2x (4) Void Shard
# 1x (5) Darkbishop Benedictus
# 2x (5) Shadow Word: Undeath
#
AAECAd3cBQS79wOjtgT5lgXipAUNoegD9PEDiPcDrfcDk/EE1PEEhoMFpJEFpZEF7pEFhpMFiZMF6pQFAA==
#

Using this (swapped Basaleph for Mankrik as I don’t have him) to clown on fat, lazy fuckin’ Druids all playing the exact same flowchart has brought me joy today, and pushed me back to D5, so thank you.

Highlight was the one who sat there emoting after gaining 24 armour on T10, then ate Voidtouched/Voidtouched/Astalor. No, gently caress you mate.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Russad posted:

Yeah, I saw the mythic mode. And maybe that's what the legendary difficulty has eventually been morphed into, but it stands out to me as a distinct new way of playing, rather than a more difficult version of bounties. It sounds more interesting than "heroic bounties but more difficult", but my point was mostly just that they had said they would be dropping a new difficulty and then just went radio silent. Overall, not particularly surprised that they're dropping it into maintenance mode.

Oh well, still should be fine for knocking out "deal X type of damage" quests.

The biggest feedback I ever saw from the mode was "We don't have anything to use extra coins on", "The task system is too much of a pain in the rear end", and "The fights before the boss are boring, but the last boss is interesting." They did address (albeit not perfectly solve) the first two issues and a mode where you just fight bosses seems to help with the last. It's too little, too late at this point, but even if the mode launched with all of this, I can't imagine the mode would have held most people's attention for long anyway.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Was playing Blood DK and beat a Curse Warlock by stealing their Lady Darkvein. Then I got this baffling message:

?????

EDIT: Ohhhh they're saying they want ME to get cancer. I was thinking of "cancer" as the term for a deck they hate. Ok cool, makes sense.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
People stopped sending me angry messages shortly after they enabled in game reporting. :(

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Next time you help me with a Friend quest I can get creative with my language if you want

e: cowards!!

Scholtz fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Feb 9, 2023

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
drat, I stopped playing for a little while (but not THAT long! probably around when the Maw mini-set came out?) and redownloaded yesterday to check out the new BG season and the game is throwing a ton of free "please come back" poo poo at me. Got a chain of 5 super easy quests that gave me 750 gold in total along with a free deck of my choice, all of which look surprisingly good. I do have most of the cards in most of them but the Hunter one looks like it'll get me a lot of value I'm missing.

To be fair though I think all the offers combined probably aren't as valuable as the dust I could have gotten from logging in and disenchanting poo poo every time something was nerfed the past few months, lol.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

https://hearthstone.blizzard.com/en-us/news/23913670/the-lich-king-calls-on-you-to-return-to-naxxramas

some of the new mini set cards are released, including a Death Knight Colossal minion (that looks pretty weak tbh) and a location (that also looks pretty weak)

https://twitter.com/ZeddyHS/status/1623743848760610816

I guess with DK already being very strong they don't need a huge game winning colossal too.. first multi rune card?

**kind of a cool part of the announcement is if you have a poo poo ton of gold lying around unused you can buy the mini set golden for 10,000 gold instead of the regular 2,000..

So typically gold cards are worth 4x what a normal card is in dust, the "value" is definitely better going for the normal version, but nice for the whales to have the option I suppose

Starsfan fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Feb 9, 2023

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
that colossal is pretty weak, it’s a control card that means you can’t run BBB which is the control deck

and FF* decks don’t really want to spend their limited frost spells on removal rather than going face

the location though…. I could see it working with aggro token UUU

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
None of those new DK cards will see play in Wild unless you use another class to generate random Colossals.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Julio Cruz posted:

that colossal is pretty weak, it’s a control card that means you can’t run BBB which is the control deck

I like it in the sense that it encourages you to try a different set of runes when designing a control deck, but it might be a few expansions until that deck actually works. In the current meta it does expose how thin on the ground Freeze effects are in Death Knight, though. As is, a BBF control deck would only have access to Icy Touch (1 mana, 2 damage and freeze a target), Howling Blast (the swipe-equivalent) and that new Naga for other effects that can trigger Sindragosa's effect. Generating a Frostwyrm's Fury does become a board wipe if it can stay on board, though.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

https://twitter.com/ZeddyHS/status/1623759166358831105

so what's the earliest that a deck is going to be able to pull off this insta win combo in wild lol

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Starsfan posted:

https://twitter.com/ZeddyHS/status/1623759166358831105

so what's the earliest that a deck is going to be able to pull off this insta win combo in wild lol

Can't wait for yet another inevitable win condition that makes everyone bring all the disruptive cards back into the meta, making everyone suffer.

Which classes don't have a silence? Too lazy to check.

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Feb 9, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

mcbexx posted:

Can't wait for yet another inevitable win condition that makes everyone bring all the disruptive cards back into the meta, making everyone suffer.

Which classes don't have a silence? Too lazy to check.

I mean, the ultimate disruption is just... killing them before they have time to draw, play and kill four different six-mana 6/6s. In fact, you can say that's been the dominant form of control disruption this expansion.

(This is pretty spicy in Deathrattle Priest, though.)