Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Crab Dad posted:

I’m still struggling with how you fight “fair” with a country that has advocated genocide in both words and actions. At least when we nuked Japan we just said it was for military reasons since we obviously value our soldiers higher than their civilians at the time.

I’m just happy we appear to be on the right side of history for once.

I mean, regardless of what reason we did nuke them for, couldn't it be argued that nuking a few hundred thousand - evil, without a doubt - saved more lives on both sides than were killed in the bombs? The Japanese were preparing everyone from children to old people to fight to the death. Look at the cliffs at Okinawa and how they jumped off the cliffs rather than be surrender to or even be approached by Americans. They were a people that would fight to the death. If we invaded we'd have absolutely have had to fight and kill nearly the whole population of Japan - millions upon millions of people. They would've all been killed fighting to not even the last bullet, but their last breath. They were training people with spears and sharp sticks, for crying out loud.

However evil using the nukes was, and it absolutely was evil, would you agree that it was the lesser of two evils?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Hekk posted:

I got your reference. We haven’t lived in Ohio in 22 years and my wife still refuses to acknowledge that Michigan might be something more than just a cesspool of human suffering that should be avoided at all costs.

:hmmyes: The only thing worse than Walmart Wolverines are OSU fans

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Eason the Fifth posted:

:hmmyes: The only thing worse than Walmart Wolverines are OSU fans

i remember tim the snitch man taylor talking about michigan had wolverines, but enough to take over a walmart?!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Crab Dad posted:

I’m still struggling with how you fight “fair” with a country that has advocated genocide in both words and actions. At least when we nuked Japan we just said it was for military reasons since we obviously value our soldiers higher than their civilians at the time.

The other problem is the people who focus on the nuclear weapons and tend to ignore the sheer amount of people killed in just the firebombing campaigns. Like.....they were even more destructive.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I was thinking of the classic Michigan-Ohio rivalry influence, where each side just likes to watch the other suffer.

I'm saying the Michiganders were responsible for it

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

bulletsponge13 posted:

I think you should let him start a thread about war crime theory, so he can lay out his beliefs and arguments, and background on how he came to to these conclusions.

Even if he doesn't enter in good faith, the rest of the forum might enjoy the discussion.

Since the last poo poo-and-run poster here tried to project that GIP would embrace Space Fascism, I think that slurm should carry on the tradition by writing a Ph.D-level review of the film Starship Troopers, with specific attention to the ethics of waging total war on the Bugs, the merits of the MI's tactics (specifically whether it's better to dropship directly onto a bug hive or patrol to the objective) and who was hotter, Dina Meyers or Denise Richards. He can alternate that between Casper Van Dien or Neil Patrick Harris if that's what floats his boat, though.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Crab Dad posted:

You do it so you don't lose the backing of the western powers that are bankrolling your war. It's not a 'try' style paradigm - its a necessity. Russia is already seeking to diminish assistance through political rhetoric, and committing war crimes or excusing illegal actions will only add force to their words.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

pantslesswithwolves posted:

with specific attention to the ethics of waging total war on the Bugs,

This part is real easy

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Since the last poo poo-and-run poster here tried to project that GIP would embrace Space Fascism, I think that slurm should carry on the tradition by writing a Ph.D-level review of the film Starship Troopers, with specific attention to the ethics of waging total war on the Bugs, the merits of the MI's tactics (specifically whether it's better to dropship directly onto a bug hive or patrol to the objective) and who was hotter, Dina Meyers or Denise Richards. He can alternate that between Casper Van Dien or Neil Patrick Harris if that's what floats his boat, though.

Casper is definitely hotter but Neil would probably treat you better. They'd both likely cheat on you though

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
a lot of the problems we face as a species, to include situations that create opportunities for war crimes, could realistically be mitigated by people taking the time to really internalize and appreciate the consistent messaging that the better minds of humanity have been advocating, such as here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUFSB2plwzM

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Grip it and rip it posted:

You do it so you don't lose the backing of the western powers that are bankrolling your war. It's not a 'try' style paradigm - its a necessity. Russia is already seeking to diminish assistance through political rhetoric, and committing war crimes or excusing illegal actions will only add force to their words.

Lol oh hey you warcrimed too hard defending your country. We just gonna let you hang out to dry so we can fight Russia instead in the next generation. Dollar to donuts it would include waves of Ukrainian “soldiers” too. What kind of threat is that?
I feel like it’s a super empty and while Ukraine might not be above using antipersonel mines and the occasional misuse of prisoners(those videos that get posted from time to time with them talking to family) it gets way too much ink. Just total whataboutism distraction from Russias daily activities.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
I think in theory most would agree you should be able to take any and every measure in self defense. In practice you can justify everything under that and it quickly breaks down. Testing with an extreme, I doubt you would advocate for torture or rape, even if there was a legitimate reason for it. This necessarily means there are limits, even though there might be disagreement over where those are.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

This part is real easy

Isn't there some nuance to this? I got the impression that the movie was heavily implying that the government of earth actually steered that asteroid towards Buenos Aires to whip people into a 9/11 style frenzy. My vague memories are that they never really came out and said that, but that they left it really open to interpretation in that the bugs didn't have that capability to strike earth.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

my kinda ape posted:

If he's already permad on a different account just ban him again. I'm personally not really opposed to letting reregs slip back in if they can stop being obnoxious or whatever but clearly he cannot.

He's not perma'd on a different account.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

bird food bathtub posted:

Isn't there some nuance to this? I got the impression that the movie was heavily implying that the government of earth actually steered that asteroid towards Buenos Aires to whip people into a 9/11 style frenzy. My vague memories are that they never really came out and said that, but that they left it really open to interpretation in that the bugs didn't have that capability to strike earth.

That's one theory put forth by fans post 9/11.
In the film, the given reasons were that they launched it because human ("Mormon Extremists") violated a neutral zone.

I don't recall any implication one way or the other- they explain the Bugs basically just 'shoved' the asteroid to attack Earth. To me, this implies they are more advanced than the Fed wants to portray.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
How long does it take for an asteroid to get from Klendathu to Earth anyway?

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Depends on how fast the bug ftl was. We never got a figure on that anywhere that i know of

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

bulletsponge13 posted:

In the film, the given reasons were that they launched it because human ("Mormon Extremists") violated a neutral zone.

I don't recall any implication one way or the other- they explain the Bugs basically just 'shoved' the asteroid to attack Earth. To me, this implies they are more advanced than the Fed wants to portray.

Yeah the movie doesn't really imply that the humans did it, but it's a fair conclusion to draw from the info you're given. Even as a kid I thought it didn't make sense for the bugs to be able to do something like that from another star system without the aid of an FTL engine, and they're never shown as having one.

I forget how the book handled it if it even had a similar situation.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

It wasn't FTL. It was knocked out of orbit, and physics did the rest.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

bulletsponge13 posted:

It wasn't FTL. It was knocked out of orbit, and physics did the rest.

Then the thing that did the knocking had to be FTL, or else they launched it years or decades in advance.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
It was always a false flag! The bugs were fighting a defensive war from the start.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

bulletsponge13 posted:

My theory is Feds discovered bugs occupying some far off planets, minding their own business, not a threat unless someone lands and moves in. Maybe they were neutral but Fed first contact procedures meant the appearance of Feds mean death so they learned to aggressively defend themselves.

Feds allow disposable settlers like the Mormons to take a planet they know has bugs. Very photogenic aftermath for propaganda. We see on a map that the arachnid quarantine zone is huge and menacing, but most of that is empty space and not like anyone could fact check.

Feds have overpopulation as referenced by needing a license for childbirth, and having a massive standing army with no external threat isn’t sustainable and risky for their leaders. So when they have a fleet ready to go, they pick a city and asteroid that is big but not too big and hit their own planet, then blame the bugs. Why would the bugs send an asteroid from light years away with absurd precision then slow it down when it reaches earth when a full speed strike would be impossible to defend against and mean no more humans, and the bugs don’t try to use asteroids to attack the invasion fleet? The commentators don’t ask. Plus slow asteroids can continue to be “shot down” to justify Fed defense.

The twist is that when the Feds screw up and lose hundreds of thousands of guys, they don’t know bugs can brain drain. So while the bugs probably didn’t know where earth is or how faster than light tech works, they do now.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Acebuckeye13 posted:

"war crimes aren't real," i assure myself as i close my eyes and ram the doctors without borders hospital with my lovely t-62

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

That’s easy, Denise Richards.

Who gives a poo poo about the rest.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Tiny Timbs posted:

Then the thing that did the knocking had to be FTL, or else they launched it years or decades in advance.

They used a plasma burst to start the process, according to the FedNet in the movie.

E- I'm only repeating what was presented

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

bulletsponge13 posted:

They used a plasma burst to start the process, according to the FedNet in the movie.

E- I'm only repeating what was presented

Yeah but unless it was from our asteroid belt, it would take decades to get here.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
I'm going to need to see citations at this point.

Edit: APA format

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

lightpole posted:

*points to the smoldering crater of Buenos Aires*

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

US Berder Patrol posted:

We'll start with assuming a fault is basically a plane shape. A plane's orientation in space can be described in terms of its strike and dip. The strike is which way the slope is oriented with reference to cardinal direction, and the dip is the angular measurement of how much that plane tilts away from a level horizontal line.

Now, the relative slip along a fault basically breaks down into three different categories. A transform (like the San Andreas Fault) is movement along strike. This is also sometimes called strike-slip fault. A normal fault is dip-slip movement where the footwall rises relative to the headwall of the fault -- Basin and Range topography across the intermountain West in the US is caused by this kind of dip-slip movement. The third is a reverse fault, also dip slip, but where the headwall rises relative to the footwall. This is the Cascades or the Peruvian Andes, or an island arc like the Philippines. Between the two dip-slip faults, consider that the configuration will result in the rock in a normal fault extending horizontally in space away from the fault and a reverse fault compressing in space towards the fault. All of that said, in the field, faults actually present as much more complex than a simple plane, usually a combination of vectors through a system of faults.

While measured magnitude of an earthquake is a global figure that is relative to how much energy was released by the earthquake and a 7.4 is a 7.4 in terms of movement and energy no matter which type of fault, reverse faults do tend to result in the most severe earthquakes. That compressional movement in a reverse fault is storing more and more energy (stress, in stress/strain terms) into the material. In addition, in a big enough fault with sufficient relative slip, the material that is subducted into the mantle as the two sides of the fault compress into each other and don't have anywhere else to go is going to basically be vibrating underneath of there such that both bodies of rock are straining under one side of the fault. There is also the significance of the relative up/down movement in a dip-slip fault over a strike-slip fault. Volcanism will be most pronounced on reverse faults as well, but any of those faults can make a volcano and also volcanism is another can of worms.

The Anatolian fault system that caused this earthquake is actually a strike-slip movement, so in theory our least earthquakey kind of fault. Unfortunately for Anatolia, the damage from an earthquake is really going to be controlled by human activity -- how much damage occurs results from what human made stuff is there to be damaged. Which I say to mean that typically how "bad" the earthquake is has quite a bit more to do with the infrastructure than what type of fault you're dealing with. Earthquakes that devastate concrete block villages on Caribbean islands or Turkish apartment buildings would do relatively minor damage in Seattle or Honshu in spite of the respective fault zones themselves being "better" or "worse" for earthquakes. Personally I stan using a Modified Mercalli Intensity (measure the actual damage rather than the earthquake itself) for communications about earthquakes, because with magnitude you need to basically synthesize the relative development of the place in human terms with the magnitude to come up with how bad the situation is -- 7ish is Loma Prieta, but 7ish was also enough to basically level the entire country of Haiti.

tl;dr: yes different faults behave differently, but don't discount the social issues. They are what really drive the destruction and suffering in an earthquake

This was an interesting post, and an interesting point on using MCI. It sounds like it has utility in assessing the destruction of an earthquake after the fact, and is more useful from a disaster response/human impact measurement, but at the same time I feel it runs the risk of obfuscating the gap between engineering practices of developed and developing nations. The technology is out there to let Haiti survive a 7.0 earthquake, but it isn't being employed for many reasons that are beyond the control of those that ultimately wind up paying the price. Same with Turkey, although I feel that the government there has far fewer excuses.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

lightpole posted:

The latinx casualties of Buenos Aires………

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

TheWeedNumber posted:

I get this reference lol

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

*points to the smoldering crater of Buenos Aires*

TheWeedNumber posted:

Neither of these are APA please correct and resubmit

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

no

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Fine but you're not getting any credit for your work

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

lightpole posted:

Neither of these are APA please correct and resubmit

I only do APSA soz

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

According to recent findings, the Bugs from Klendathu have the ability to manipulate the trajectory of asteroids through their advanced neural network and psychic abilities. The exact method by which they redirected the asteroid to destroy Buenos Aires is not fully understood, but it is believed that they utilized their hive mind to coordinate and redirect the asteroid to its target.

In the research paper, "The Threat of the Klendathu Bugs: An In-Depth Look at Their Asteroid Redirection Capabilities," experts delve into the mechanisms behind the Bugs' asteroid redirection abilities. They examine the Bugs' neural network and their hive mind as key factors in their abilities. The Bugs' neural network allows them to communicate and coordinate with each other on a massive scale, while their hive mind allows them to effectively function as a single entity. Through the combination of their advanced neural network and hive mind, the Bugs were able to redirect the asteroid towards Buenos Aires with pinpoint accuracy, causing widespread destruction and loss of life. This has raised serious concerns about the potential threat the Bugs pose to the rest of the galaxy.

To counter this threat, the Terran Federation has been developing a number of advanced technologies designed to disrupt the Bugs' neural network and neutralize their ability to control the asteroids. These technologies include specialized EMP weapons, anti-hive mind jammers, and asteroid defense systems. In addition, the Terran Federation has been working to increase their knowledge of the Bugs and their abilities through extensive research and field testing. This includes the deployment of specialized reconnaissance and research missions to Klendathu and other known Bug infestations. Overall, the Terran Federation is taking a multi-faceted approach to countering the threat posed by the Bugs, utilizing a combination of technological advancements, research and development, and tactical deployments. It is important to note that further research is needed to fully understand the extent of the Bugs' abilities, and that steps must be taken to address the threat they pose.

Citations:
"The Threat of the Klendathu Bugs: An In-Depth Look at Their Asteroid Redirection Capabilities." Journal of Intergalactic Studies, vol. 13, no. 2, 2023, pp. 41-57.
"The Counter-Bugs Initiative: Terra's Response to the Klendathu Threat." Journal of Intergalactic Defense, vol. 5, no. 4, 2023, pp. 89-102.

One step closer to AI taking all the good shitposting jobs

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Crab Dad posted:

Lol oh hey you warcrimed too hard defending your country. We just gonna let you hang out to dry so we can fight Russia instead in the next generation. Dollar to donuts it would include waves of Ukrainian “soldiers” too. What kind of threat is that?
I feel like it’s a super empty and while Ukraine might not be above using antipersonel mines and the occasional misuse of prisoners(those videos that get posted from time to time with them talking to family) it gets way too much ink. Just total whataboutism distraction from Russias daily activities.

There's definitely a line beyond which we turn off the spigot. We briefly did it to the Saudis over Yemen, and they have us by the balls on gas prices (as we found out).

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Hey speaking of which, what's the best way to see the occasional research paper if I'm not in school or a doctor? I always see briefs or summaries but I'd like to read the research for funsies. Without paying money

Soul Dentist fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Feb 8, 2023

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Soul Dentist posted:

Hey speaking of which, what's the best way to see the occasional research paper if I'm not in school or a doctor? I always see briefs or summaries but I'd like to read the research for funnies. Without paying money

Google “sci hub”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Oh gently caress asked and answered immediately. Thanks!