Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: GhostofJohnMuir)

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Weed.

MS did you ever ask to have the threadban lifted again? He probably just forgot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

It's not the same without the stylesheet.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
This is loving stupid

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
Mods: lets make a pressure release thread in CCCC so that active posters can shut up another thread instead of USPol.

Also mods: no not like that

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I'm very curious about this alleged near helldumping.

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm
I love that one of the listed alternatives is a place where I'm forum banned for arguing unpopular opinions.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

I get the feeling some hammers are coming down all over the forums, and USPol was the first one. It was first because it would cause the least friction.

Harold Fjord posted:

People who had never posted in the thread came in just to go after someone who did post regularly.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

I love that they gave no warning or feedback or did any moderation whatsoever.

Nuclear first strikes are immoral Koos

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

And one of the mods who frequently posted in it just a few months ago said "this thread isn't on the mods' radar," so what the gently caress happened?

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

Judgy Fucker posted:

People who had never posted in the thread came in just to go after someone who did post regularly.

Mellow Seas was doing his damnedest to invite a dogpile and boy howdy he got a few

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Judgy Fucker posted:

I get the feeling some hammers are coming down all over the forums, and USPol was the first one. It was first because it would cause the least friction.

Then ban those people , not nuke the thread where a community of people regularly interact without issue.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Then ban those people , not nuke the thread where a community of people regularly interact without issue.

I don't know that I'd go so far as to say "without issue" But we were all pretty clear on what we were doing and mostly didn't cross any major lines I think.

Anyway, hi dad chatters. I'm back!

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
weed

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Judgy Fucker posted:

You are right. I have been informed that Jeff is moving ahead with some plans to eliminate "containment threads" in general across the forum and stopping the practice of sending "bad" threads to CCCC to be unmoderated.

Not sure what the Helldumping thing is referencing specifically. I think maybe referring to the Mellow Seas pile up and someone mentioning his dead family member?

Weed chat, memes, youtube, and all that jazz are fine here.

I've also been told to stress that people should not be organizing crossforum posting or brigading. But, pretty much all discussions are fine and most of the general D&D rules don't apply. They might re-open a new thread with an IK and some rules about cross-forum posting and harassment.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Feb 7, 2023

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Bishyaler posted:

Mellow Seas was doing his damnedest to invite a dogpile and boy howdy he got a few

I don't disagree, but I'm sure that's where the "helldumping" claim came from.

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

:agreed:

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Weed, after my meeting in fifteen minutes is done, but until then, audibly Juuling as I mentor on data cleanup in Salesforce

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Someone with buttons needs to find a thread that Koos actually enjoys and close it so he knows what he did to us.

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Someone with buttons needs to find a thread that Koos actually enjoys and close it so he knows what he did to us.

Careful, asking for buttons is what ruined the tech forum

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

wild times on the forums

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Perhaps I should have tried to get an IK first. I'm considering that now, and remaking the thread with rules about not talking about D&D or posters who aren't there. But I'm not sure if the crew would still be interested under those conditions.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
containment threads never work, except as honeypots

that said, I'm not looking forward to seeing more posts from anyone who genuinely thought a dedicated USPol chat thread would be a fun place to hang out

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
seriously though, i miss the stylesheet

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

kals was the spiritual anchor of this place all along, now he's peacefully resigned we're drifting unto chaos unknown

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Judgy Fucker posted:

It's not the same without the stylesheet.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Koos Group posted:

Perhaps I should have tried to get an IK first. I'm considering that now, and remaking the thread with rules about not talking about D&D or posters who aren't there. But I'm not sure if the crew would still be interested under those conditions.

Let's compromise and add a stylesheet to D&D, and we will stay here. Nobody should become thread cop that wants to because of the obvious moral quandaries.

I don't think a rule against discussion of other threads makes sense when people want a place to discuss those in a casual context without a mall cop staring at them

Heck Yes! Loam! fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Feb 7, 2023

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Main Paineframe posted:

that said, I'm not looking forward to seeing more posts from anyone who genuinely thought a dedicated USPol chat thread would be a fun place to hang out
we mostly chatted about weed, games, the weekend, and dinner

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Let's compromise and add a stylesheet to D&D, and we will stay here.

Everyone always votes against that in the feedback threads, lol.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I still think DnD should have a trashy tabloid spreadsheet to match C-SPAM's NYT one

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Main Paineframe posted:

containment threads never work, except as honeypots

You heard it Koos, reopen USPol so us undesirables won't sully this thread with whatever evil machinations we were up to in CCCC

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Koos Group posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWdfRRtAs3o

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

World Famous W posted:

Plus the liberal vs leftist arguments. It was nice being able to argue without being shushed for not adhering to library rules.

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

Koos Group posted:

We all know voting doesn't work. Stylesheet it is.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

World Famous W posted:

yeah, but why would anyone want to chat about those things with people who post like this:

Bishyaler posted:

Plus the liberal vs leftist arguments. It was nice being able to argue without being shushed for not adhering to library rules.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Main Paineframe posted:

yeah, but why would anyone want to chat about those things with people who post like this:

Because it's fun op

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
just heading down to the local politics dork club to have wild parties with incredibly fun people

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Main Paineframe posted:

Because other people and their opinions are valid you doofus

Why wouldn't you want people that disagree with you in your discussion forum unless your actual desire was an echo chamber?

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Main Paineframe posted:

just heading down to the local politics dork club to have wild parties with incredibly fun people

Weren't you a mod of the Official Politics Dork Club? lmao

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

Main Paineframe posted:

I know it might feel strange to argue without a CVS receipt of rules tacked to the wall, but its a liberating experience you might enjoy

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Harold Fjord posted:

dunno if it's what's being referenced but it was real fuckin' weird to have someone parachute in to try to own me with Discord screenshots from 2+ years ago (before I was a mod) where I mentioned I'd been sexually assaulted. that was cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Main Paineframe posted:

Posting about posters user is probated for 6 hours. Additional rule violations will result in a ramping probation time.