Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006
You'll do fine no matter what. That's my motto.
Has anyone tried the Broken Arrow demo on steam? Is it just me or is it insanely difficult?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Kashwashwa posted:

Has anyone tried the Broken Arrow demo on steam? Is it just me or is it insanely difficult?

There are some weird UI things relating to getting vehicles to shoot into buildings, and unlike with Eugen games, they don't turn 750m into 750 ft so RPG shots feel like they come from way downtown.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Panzeh posted:

Petroglyph's great war has been the highlight of the demos i've played, i think. It knows what it is and works for that. I can't say i'd care for it as a multiplayer game.

This game is loving awesome, next to Battlefield 1 it's sort of the WW1 game I've been dying for, love the trench placement mechanics.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Kashwashwa posted:

It definitely didn't start the player off with an easy scenario, and also when you first start playing you probably don't know to use all the tools at your disposal. Remember to use your tomahawk missiles! There's also some bugs, apparently air unit doesn't automatically pop flare so they'll all be shot down instantly unless you pop flares yourself. That makes things way more difficult as attack helicopter seems to kill everything quite effectively.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I liked the demo. It has a very rock paper scissors feel - tanks and air wreck infantry, dragons and stingers wreck tank and air, infantry wreck dragons and stingers. It makes combined arms maneuver important.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Hmmmm

https://twitter.com/krides/status/1622169015345889283?s=20&t=vGRGGK6I8eW7mcVhOa9Pcw

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

It felt more like an alpha test with balance being non existent and an extreme emphasis on micro like flares and trying to get units to target the right things. I'll keep an eye out for it as it develops but it's definitely closer to WiC than say, WARNO.

Phantom Brigade is out later this month and the demo for that is excellent.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Holy crap Creeper World 4 does not explain anything to you. Like how the gently caress am I supposed to apply anti-creep to the yellow webbing?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

There's a button on the sprayers that makes them just start dumping their ammo onto the ground beneath them

Note that they do not shoot it. It's a little like the regular creep emitters, just starts flowing out beneath them.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005
Are you struggling with shooting it or generating it?

If I remember right, you might have to change miners from generating energy, to generating blueite which the factory then converts into anti-creep.

For shooting it you can use the sprayers or bombers. Or take ninjewtsus solution with the sprayers.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

I didn't even know the creep shooters shot anti-creep, just knew they were powered by it. I was trying to deliver the resource of anti-creep to the stuff using projectors, landing blocks of it on the spot.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I've kinda cooled on Petroglyph's ww1 game- I don't think the gameplay once you breach the main line of resistance is very good at all- maybe there's something i haven't understood yet but it just ain't that interesting trying to avoid finnicky situations where your infantry gets shot at while trying to march into the next melee.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Yeah, I don't know how I'd feel if it's going to be broadly similar gameplay over and over for 30, 50 times a campaign, but it's just the demo so maybe the actual campaign will flow better. I don't know if it's a bug or not but my troops were able to use the defender's trenches to shoot at the counter attack wave and that just trivialize things completely when in reality defending counter attack was another huge problem.

pedro0930 fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Feb 10, 2023

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Panzeh posted:

Petroglyph's great war has been the highlight of the demos i've played, i think. It knows what it is and works for that. I can't say i'd care for it as a multiplayer game.

Just tried this one tonight. Its good fun so far but yeah we'll see

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Feb 9, 2023

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

The AI in great war also seems to do like, one attack and then go gently caress it and cease fire.

I suppose that makes sense, but kinda awkward when you spend time setting up defenses and then spend like half the battle on fast forward waiting for the ai to just throw in the towel..

And I wish it was a bit more clear on how much supply you get while you're in the battle. Like you have an amount when you're setting up, then you get more when you start the battle, but how much more? Seems you have to memorize the total amount before going into battle.

pedro0930 posted:

Yeah, I don't know how I'd feel if it's going to be broadly similar gameplay over and over for 30, 50 times a campaign, but it's just the demo so I maybe the actual campaign will flow better. I don't know if it's a bug or not but my troops were able to use the defender's trenches to shoot at the counter attack wave and that just trivialize things completely when in reality defending counter attack was another huge problem.

yeah i don't quite get how the firing arc works when shooting "backwards". it's just hard to even tell *where* shots are coming from in general.

I don't think I had my dudes full blasting at reinforcing troops, I think it's some percent able to fire "backwards"?

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

Phigs posted:

I didn't even know the creep shooters shot anti-creep, just knew they were powered by it. I was trying to deliver the resource of anti-creep to the stuff using projectors, landing blocks of it on the spot.

It's delivered over the wires just like energy. Unless you have one of the gimmick levels where you can't, just build more pylons.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Yeah I know how it works now. But the game doesn't really my make it explicit what the anti-creep actually does. You get access to it in the mission prior but all you do is use it on the anti-creep sprayers which basically seem like cannons that work better on the purple creep. Unless you configure them to
Always On" then they only shoot when they would hit creep so you don't see the anti-creep pool up like it does. So to me it just looked they they shot anti-creep powered bullets at the creep. And this was just the one that put me over the edge. So many times during the campaign the game would tell me to do something and I'd have to figure out what it was even saying. Also the names like ARG and whatever make me not remember anything. The whole game needs a very hefty UX pass.

It is a good game underneath that though. I binged the 20 hour campaign already.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

The real problem with creeper world is the hand designed maps dry up too fast and finding decent non-gimmicky user created content is difficult

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Yeah I'm finding that now. Playing a random map and it's not really doing it for me.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Purple War is now (or at least will very soon be because it was announced just a bit ago) free to play FYI: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1582500/Purple_War/

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

purple war

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

def recommend Beyond All Reason for any Total Annihilation fans.

https://www.beyondallreason.info/

Totally free too

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Dandywalken posted:

Totally free too

Seconded

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

BAR is insanely good. It's an extremely well-polished game and a ton of fun in co-op. Absolutely crazy that it's free.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
I went ten or so pages back in the games forum and didn't see a dedicated thread, so I figure I'll ask here.

I've gotten hooked on Distant Worlds 2 this week and am really enjoying it after bouncing off it a couple times. Now that I get the mechanics of it, it's a really fun ride. What I'm struggling with right now is fleet automation. It seems no matter what I do - outside of setting a fleet to strictly manual control - they will blast off to the farthest corners of the galaxy for no real rhyme or reason.

For example, I build small defensive fleets to guard my colonies. I automated them with the "defend" command, set their home base to the desired system, and set them to remain in their own system on the tactics screen. Yet, when I look for them later, their home base is changed, they're guarding some mining dump in the middle of someone else's territory, and, best of all, they're out of gas.

So, short of setting them to manual control, is there a better way to handle small defensive fleets?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I love Tropico and city builders and somehow have never played an Anno game.
Anno 1800 standard is $20 on the Ubi store, or the complete edition with all the DLC is $60. Should I just go for the big one or will I regret not having the extra doodads?

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

canyoneer posted:

I love Tropico and city builders and somehow have never played an Anno game.
Anno 1800 standard is $20 on the Ubi store, or the complete edition with all the DLC is $60. Should I just go for the big one or will I regret not having the extra doodads?

You should probably ask that in the city builder thread, https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3954084&pagenumber=338&perpage=40. Its still discussed there and they can answer your question and even give you some tips.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Dandywalken posted:

Totally free too

Played my first few games of BAR after not touching a TA/SupCom game in years and can confirm this is INSANELY good. Flamethrower 'bots? Check. Large fields of burning hulks and craters? Check as well. The only "complaint" I'd have is that there's too many useful QoL stuff that I either forget the hotkey or not even know it's a feature.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Gewehr 43 posted:

I went ten or so pages back in the games forum and didn't see a dedicated thread, so I figure I'll ask here.

I've gotten hooked on Distant Worlds 2 this week and am really enjoying it after bouncing off it a couple times. Now that I get the mechanics of it, it's a really fun ride. What I'm struggling with right now is fleet automation. It seems no matter what I do - outside of setting a fleet to strictly manual control - they will blast off to the farthest corners of the galaxy for no real rhyme or reason.

For example, I build small defensive fleets to guard my colonies. I automated them with the "defend" command, set their home base to the desired system, and set them to remain in their own system on the tactics screen. Yet, when I look for them later, their home base is changed, they're guarding some mining dump in the middle of someone else's territory, and, best of all, they're out of gas.

So, short of setting them to manual control, is there a better way to handle small defensive fleets?

IIRC there are two or three levels at which you can apply the “guard this place” command (fleet setup, ship type?, somewhere else?) and if you don’t set them all to the same thing then there’s a chance the wrong one will apply.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

BadOptics posted:

The only "complaint" I'd have is that there's too many useful QoL stuff that I either forget the hotkey or not even know it's a feature.

Yeah at least it’s all extra stuff that makes your life easier

The mex upgrade shortcuts are particularly good

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Finally got a chance to try AI War 2's multiplayer last night. Talked my usual Stellaris group into giving it a go and it went really well!

There were a few hurdles to getting started; it wasn't just smooth sailing. Players frequently had to quit and reconnect after launching the game lobby before we could proceed with play, but that was the only technical problem. The rest of the barrier was the spreadsheet-tier info-spam the game immediately slaps you with upon starting. Almost all of it is irrelevant until you run into something that stops you, and you need to figure out why and how to deal with it, but a new player doesn't know that.

Thankfully people seemed to pick up on the exploratory nature of the game once I explained the basic controls (moving and building stuff, as well as the limits that govern both). Despite the complexity under the hood, AI War 2 really isn't that daunting to play. So much micromanagement that you'd have to do yourself in any other strategy game is just automated here, basically invisible, and you can quickly get to talking strategy. Some members of our group still, after ~800 hours, struggle with Stellaris' mechanics to the point that they lose sight of the strategy part of the game, but in AI War 2 those same players were proactively discussing and formulating our strategic approach within a couple hours of play. Awesome stuff.

We, of course, died horribly several times during the first couple of hours. We put four human empires up against a single difficulty 5 AI; I thought it'd be chill and easy, but it wasn't. Four people taking systems drives AI Progress up real fast, and people weren't at all expecting how the AI will happily beeline for your command station if you let it. Most strategy games have very myopic AI, but AI War 2 is very active about striking weak points. Even the player quickest on the uptake and with some old release-day experience with AI War 2 still lost a command station due to over-reliance on system strength numbers.

Pleasingly, AI War 2 actually seems to go faster with more players. With the extra ships and systems, and the AI punching very hard very fast, it's almost like jumping directly into the midgame. I remember my solo games taking a dozen hours, but our current game looks poised to be over in just a few hours. Between the increased pace and the fun of coordinating tactics and strategy... I'm actually enjoying the game more in coop than I did solo. Folks are clearly learning the ropes, with our current game looking to go the distance when we resume it next session, so there's a lot to look forward to.

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Feb 22, 2023

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
That Starship Troopers game just launched its map editor with workshop support. It looks like one guy's already started to remake the ST:Terran Ascendancy campaign in it.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Mordja posted:

Time for another unsolicited modpost. This time it's about everyone's favourite hero-based, fantasy RTS that later became a popular MMO, The Lord of the Rings: The Battle for Middle-earth II: The Rise of the Witch-king. BFME2 modding may not be as widespread as its Command & Conquer cousins' and definitely not as diverse, considering every single mod is a LOTR mod. Well, there was an early attempt by the Blitzkrieg 2 team to port their WW2 game to the newer engine, but turns out it wasn't a great fit. Still, there's a decent community for the game and today I'll talk about its two biggest projects.

A relative newcomer to the scene, Age of the Ring hews closer to the base game's mechanics but features completely redone graphics, factions, and a whole slew of new maps, all with a strict eye for consistency and quality. Despite being "only" a few years old, some of its team have been modding as far back as the first BFME and it shows.

AotR similarly divides the human and elven nations, adds Dol Guldur, and Mirkwood and Harad are in the works. One of its greatest strengths is its willingness to bend and add to the LOTR canon while remaining thematically and visually loyal to the books and movies. The recently released Dol Guldur plays very differently from other factions, spreading corruption and necromancy across the land. Lower tier units take damage if not within a structure's aura but their single-use builders and defensive towers are cheap and quick to build. Many of their abilities disrupt and damage enemy bases, others convert slain foes into temporary wraiths.

The mod also has more of a focus on singleplayer content than a lot of its ilk. The original missions have been remade within AotR's framework, it's got its own campaign that currently covers the events of the first book, and adds Besiege maps, assaults on massive, AI-controlled fortresses that will be playable cooperatively in the next patch. The team has been borderline-professional with its work, scoping each version and releasing on a regular basis.

But how on earth can I play these fabulous mods?
Yeah, so here's the thing. Neither BFME game has been readily available for a very long time and with moviegame rights being what they are, it's unlikely that they'll be available on Origin or whatever anytime soon. The community has surreptitiously started hosting the games online and I'm sure if you google "BFME Revora" you can figure things out and I don't risk getting in trouble from tattletale goons. Additionally, said community has created its own multiplayer solution, a lot like CNCNet at https://t3aonline.net/ and oh look what's included on its download page.

Quoting this because 8.0, the final (?) version of the Age of the Ring mod just hit. Possibly their biggest update yet, this release's marquee features include a fully-realized Haradwaith and an overhauled War of the Ring mode, which is basically Total War lite for BFME2. Alongside the usual glut of bugfixes, balance changes, and faction overhauls, 8.0 also introduces the concept of Adventure maps, which let you play as even more factions. Some are relatively minor variants, such as the Grey Company, while others are practically full-on races with their own unique units, heroes and spellbooks, such as Arnor and Rhûn.

I really do urge everyone to give this a try. It's one of the most professionally made fan projects I've seen and it breathes new life into a largely forgotten title. The mod and its installation instructions can be found here (it needs a fanpatch) and BFME2+ROTWK are essentially abandonware and have been hosted on GameReplays for more than half a decade so I doubt you'll have EA's lawyers knocking your door down.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Mar 22, 2023

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
I’ve always wanted to get into BFME and your effort posts have done the trick!

Does it have any coop multiplayer options?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Mostly just comp stomps. Though there are also special besiege maps where you're basically attacking a giant AI fortress.

Something else to note is that this version is built on the latest 2.02 fanpatch that's supposed to make multiplayer smoother, and a 4GB RAM fix that should pretty much get rid of the crashes that old engine could run into.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
I mean, I would look into Age of the Ring but ModDB seems to be utterly hosed right now.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Testament to its success! :v:

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Klaus88 posted:

I mean, I would look into Age of the Ring but ModDB seems to be utterly hosed right now.

Yeah, moddb's been having some issues for a couple of weeks now.

I hope this isn't the beginning of the end, that site is a part of history.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Always wanted to play Battle for Middle Earth II!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I got everything installed, but can't get BfME2 in wide screen, how do I fix this?