Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Panzeh posted:

Hope you're ready for the level of horny the mod has on display. I've kinda tuned it out, but if you're not prepared, it's a lot.
I personally wouldn't even mind the horniness in general, if it were just consistently the Heavy Metal comic book kinda stuff, because that at least fits the theme of weird pulpy future wasteland pirate adventures. It's having the creepy manga loli poo poo in the mix that gets stuck in my craw and I have to actively try and "tune out", as you put it.

And speaking of inconsistency:
I noticed there was a "Music pack" sub-mod on the moddb page and gave it a whirl.
It's atrocious. Like it's almost inspired in how badly the new tracks fit.
Most of the combat tracks seem to be awful butt rock guitar covers of various other tunes, or something so super ~=*wHiMsiCaL*=~ that it would make Danny Elfman go "Whoah, settle down there". One of the new Geoscape tracks is the loving Theme from Twin Peaks. :psyduck:
If you thought the "vanilla" (if you can call it that) soundtrack has some jarring bits, try this pack. Jesus christ.

EDIT: Wow, great way to start a new page huh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Nordick posted:

I personally wouldn't even mind the horniness in general, if it were just consistently the Heavy Metal comic book kinda stuff, because that at least fits the theme of weird pulpy future wasteland pirate adventures. It's having the creepy manga loli poo poo in the mix that gets stuck in my craw and I have to actively try and "tune out", as you put it.

Yeah, if Dioxine had any kind of notion of selection for the art, it might be fine, but he picked a lot of really stupid anime loli stuff as well as just generally bad quality titty art.

quote:

And speaking of inconsistency:
I noticed there was a "Music pack" sub-mod on the moddb page and gave it a whirl.
It's atrocious. Like it's almost inspired in how badly the new tracks fit.
Most of the combat tracks seem to be awful butt rock guitar covers of various other tunes, or something so super ~=*wHiMsiCaL*=~ that it would make Danny Elfman go "Whoah, settle down there". One of the new Geoscape tracks is the loving Theme from Twin Peaks. :psyduck:
If you thought the "vanilla" (if you can call it that) soundtrack has some jarring bits, try this pack. Jesus christ.

EDIT: Wow, great way to start a new page huh.

So, I prefer that music pack because i generally prefer the butt rock to the original music but yeah it's definitely not.. perfect. Also, you have to actually go in and change a few music references that crash when you install that mod.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Man I don't even know why the Warbird exists. I don't know why this game has a bunch of interceptors that can't catch anything and can't fight anything that fights back much. 75 Durability, no armor, 550 speed, and no dodge bonus? it doesn't really matter what guns it has at that point. Not to mention by the time you get it you almost certainly have some less poo poo interceptors.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Night10194 posted:

Man I don't even know why the Warbird exists. I don't know why this game has a bunch of interceptors that can't catch anything and can't fight anything that fights back much. 75 Durability, no armor, 550 speed, and no dodge bonus? it doesn't really matter what guns it has at that point. Not to mention by the time you get it you almost certainly have some less poo poo interceptors.

The necroplane line is really weird and feels like just "this is for if you start in iron tribe". Honestly, getting rid of the preamble and making the start in that area just give you a plane to start with and the option to buy more would probably be a bonus at the right level. You do probably want to have some capability if you're playing on Jack Sparrow to take down weak bandit planes for points but it's not usually worthwhile to get into air combat that way(if you're trying to hit early ninja bases in JS you should probably use a convoy with ground weapons to ward off the intercepting jetbikes and get in with a huge crew).

The only real downside of Peasant Revolution does involve increased bandit activity which can spot for bandit base assaults, so there is a benefit to having some countermeasure for that.

Panzeh fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Feb 5, 2023

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Yeah, but by the time you get the Warbird (I mean the new 'advanced helicopter') you almost certainly have anything else.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Night10194 posted:

Yeah, but by the time you get the Warbird (I mean the new 'advanced helicopter') you almost certainly have anything else.

Oh, right, the helicopter- there's so much crap early in the tech tree that just has no real use in the game.

Well, it's not even that early because so long as you can get a pilot and roll shadowmasters decently quickly you will be into cloaked interceptors/codex ships by the time you get the warbird.

I looked it up, HAHAHA it's a random UAC vaults reward as a prereq to get it.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Actually it comes from a new special under-your-main-base mission that only allows Lokk'Narrs and Gnomes.

Also I don't really get why the game seems to think Gnomes are like...special and good units. They're slow, weak, and a Lokk'Narr does better driving stuff anyway.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Night10194 posted:

Actually it comes from a new special under-your-main-base mission that only allows Lokk'Narrs and Gnomes.

Also I don't really get why the game seems to think Gnomes are like...special and good units. They're slow, weak, and a Lokk'Narr does better driving stuff anyway.

Gnomes are a bit better in loader suits which makes training them up to drive hovertanks a bit easier- they're also a bit better at voodoo, but yeah, you can get lokk'narrs in armored cars to start training a lot sooner.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Panzeh posted:

Hope you're ready for the level of horny the mod has on display. I've kinda tuned it out, but if you're not prepared, it's a lot.

update: I wasn't prepared

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
when you kill a pod with your grenadier

this post made by xcom 2 gang

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.

Night10194 posted:

The main advantage of gnomes is their bravery cap of 200, which is used for the accuracy calculation of most vehicle weapons. So a max bravery gnome will have perfect accuracy with almost any vehicle weapon at any range. Similarly they can do a lot of damage with weapons that deal extra damage based on bravery.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Coming into this thread after not being in it for a while and I can't tell if you're shitposting or not.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Dire Lemming posted:

The main advantage of gnomes is their bravery cap of 200, which is used for the accuracy calculation of most vehicle weapons. So a max bravery gnome will have perfect accuracy with almost any vehicle weapon at any range. Similarly they can do a lot of damage with weapons that deal extra damage based on bravery.

Yeah, the unfortunate thing for training them is they lack the strength until the loader suit to use the linux SMG, which is the best bravery scaling weapon in the game. So, there's nothing like the silenced pistol with catgirls to do absurd early game damage.

Honestly the thing i want to do is have the Human Hero start with a special leather jacket that gives him an absurd unarmed attack because you can't just give me a unit where the picture is from Fist of the North Star and have the best thing for him to be doing is driving a tank.

Panzeh fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Feb 6, 2023

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

dogstile posted:

Coming into this thread after not being in it for a while and I can't tell if you're shitposting or not.

Piratez is a wild mod.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
loving ninjas killed my tamed werewolf :saddumb:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Well, the Guild tried to build a base in the arctic. I raided 2 larges, a medium, and the very large they were building it with, nabbed a Guildmaster, and then blew up the base, all within about a week. That was satisfying as hell.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
In not-lewd OXC mod news, I admit that I find it very refreshing that UNEXCOM doesn't make you buy ammunition for your craft weapons. They just kind of assume when you're buying Sidewinders, you're buying a good enough supply to use them.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

That does sound like a good change. I loving hate keeping craft ammo around in pretty much every X-COM.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I dunno, I kinda appreciate the strategic consideration of "Do I want to spend missiles shooting this thing down? Those things are loving expensive."

Anyways, while I'm on a Piratez roll: I encountered the new mission type/enemy "faction" from the latest update, and... it was actually pretty fun? It was really just a straightforward Smuggler base takeover, but with different enemies. And those enemies were actually pretty cool and a varied bunch, so they played well together with my tendency of having really diversely armed squads. And they didn't seem to possess any tedious, unfair horseshit abilities, just put up a good fair fight.

Then, just to remind me what game I'm playing here, I got a night-time mutant pogrom vs. Mercenaries almost immediately afterwards. They had three hovertanks and at least six rocket launchers. :shepicide:

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Nordick posted:

I dunno, I kinda appreciate the strategic consideration of "Do I want to spend missiles shooting this thing down? Those things are loving expensive."

Anyways, while I'm on a Piratez roll: I encountered the new mission type/enemy "faction" from the latest update, and... it was actually pretty fun? It was really just a straightforward Smuggler base takeover, but with different enemies. And those enemies were actually pretty cool and a varied bunch, so they played well together with my tendency of having really diversely armed squads. And they didn't seem to possess any tedious, unfair horseshit abilities, just put up a good fair fight.

Then, just to remind me what game I'm playing here, I got a night-time mutant pogrom vs. Mercenaries almost immediately afterwards. They had three hovertanks and at least six rocket launchers. :shepicide:

I don't mind it for stuff where you're spending significant resources on the missiles, but almost every game has you buy missiles for your starting launchers. May be a late game feature I throw in the feature list for X-piratez-XD, part of the whole privatizing world peace line where you eventually can buy an expensive launcher that gives you an unlimited contract for stingray missiles or something.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
the more skin and costumes mods i add in the more i come to appreciate the original's look consistency even if they have ugly cargo pants and the anarchy stuff is kinda dumb

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Those are Tactical cargo shorts for operators

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Honest Thief posted:

the more skin and costumes mods i add in the more i come to appreciate the original's look consistency even if they have ugly cargo pants and the anarchy stuff is kinda dumb

If all your guys aren't out there in a pink tiger print speedo, you're playing XCOM wrong

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
boy am I thick, I never realised before clearing the legacy hub missions gave you unlocks for the main campaign nor that I had to select the xcom ufo defense soundtrack from the menu i have nearly 200hrs with this game

Iron Crowned posted:

If all your guys aren't out there in a pink tiger print speedo, you're playing XCOM wrong

a third of my dudes are now rayman people with invisible limbs or torsos holding that default beige guns

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Jake Solomon is leaving Firaxis.

https://twitter.com/SolomonJake/status/1626582096440598533

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Wow. It does seem like a fine time to pass the torch if they want to do another XCOM in storied Firaxis style. I wonder what he’ll do next.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Anno posted:

Wow. It does seem like a fine time to pass the torch if they want to do another XCOM in storied Firaxis style. I wonder what he’ll do next.

MOCX

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
drat he really does not wanna do Terror from the Deep.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

The studio head left (and they officially confirmed development of a new Civ), which makes me assume this is some sort of reorg rather than Jake necessarily deciding to leave on his own.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Pirate Jet posted:

Good riddance then, I want to see next-gen Lobstermen.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Pirate Jet posted:

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

whatever the guy decides to do next I'll be 100% all in on it, I have more hours logged on XCOM 2 than almost any other game

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Anno posted:

The studio head left (and they officially confirmed development of a new Civ), which makes me assume this is some sort of reorg rather than Jake necessarily deciding to leave on his own.

I worry that the Midnight Suns fiasco may have done serious damage to the studio.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Fiasco? I thought it was well recieved?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FoolyCharged posted:

It was well reviewed and almost everyone who has played it praised it but it sold badly.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

FoolyCharged posted:

Technicals weren't good, and what I have heard about the sales was pretty bad. Given that thrashing dev cycle, it's probably been a while to break even at best.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

FoolyCharged posted:

Yeah it was critically well received, just wasn't a commercial success.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

wouldnt be the first studio to significantly over-commit to a marvel license

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

FoolyCharged posted:

I doesn't really even matter how good or bad it was. People were expecting a new XCOM but got a licensed Marvel game instead. There was no way Firaxis could win.

Peak player count for XCOM 2 was 133 000, for Midnight Suns it's 15 500 so far. Even Chimera Squad more than doubled that, and a lot of people hated that game for straying too far from core XCOM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

And from what Disney is saying, there's signs that Marvel crap is hitting market saturation; it just hit at a very bad time to boot - another result of that mess of a dev cycle.