Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Dameius posted:

It's judicial activism with a cosplay theme.

messianic jurisprudence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

jeeves posted:

Originalism counted a large population of this country was only 3/5ths human so maybe being super racist is a core part of their entire thing?

Originalism is more the original meaning of the amendments so the Reconstruction amendments supersede the old poo poo and then they interpret those amendments (often wrongly) by their "original meaning". Though I'm sure there are cases where originalists ignored the Reconstruction amendments in some ruling or another for the reason you said. HootThe Owl beat me to saying it's them trying to put a supposedly objective veneer over their personal beliefs - Heller being a prime example.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Groovelord Neato posted:

Originalism is more the original meaning of the amendments so the Reconstruction amendments supersede the old poo poo and then they interpret those amendments (often wrongly) by their "original meaning". Though I'm sure there are cases where originalists ignored the Reconstruction amendments in some ruling or another for the reason you said. HootThe Owl beat me to saying it's them trying to put a supposedly objective veneer over their personal beliefs - Heller being a prime example.

I am pretty sure Originalism now means "the Bible" to at least a third of the current lifetime appointments to the court.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

jeeves posted:

I am pretty sure Originalism now means "the Bible" to at least a third of the current lifetime appointments to the court.

Quick someone sue against charging interest for loans being unconstitutional according to Originalist readings to forgive all student loan debt.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Oracle posted:

Quick someone sue against charging interest for loans being unconstitutional according to Originalist readings to forgive all student loan debt.

"the Bible" in America will always mean "what I imagine the Bible says" not what it actually says.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

See also: the Constitution

killer_robot
Aug 26, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Welp, our favorite judge representing the great state of Texas, and therefore the entire country, has been handed a lawsuit trying to override FDA approval of mifepristone.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2023/02/abortion-pill-outlawed-single-judge-real-possibility.html

--
The plaintiffs are anti-abortion medical associations joined by anti-abortion doctors. Their claim is that some future patient might take mifepristone, suffer a rare side effect, then come to their practice for help, and that would qualify them for relief in federal court. But this claim rests on multiple layers of speculation and contingencies, exactly the kind of hazy conjectures that do not establish standing.
--

The plaintiffs’ substantive arguments are ridiculous. They accuse the FDA of fast-tracking mifepristone (in 2000) and ignoring potential adverse reactions. What they are doing here is effectively disputing the conclusions of the agency’s scientists. Yet the FDA compiled a voluminous record over the more than two decades since approval justifying every single decision it has made about the drug, and fulfilling all of its legal obligations.

--

This issue of authority and expertise leads to the suit’s third flaw: Never before has a federal judge imposed a ban on a particular drug by wholly revoking FDA approval. That is what the plaintiffs demand, yet it is an unprecedented step that would radically disrupt the entire existing health care system. The plaintiffs want Kacsmaryk to outlaw mifepristone in every state, abruptly halting doctors’ ability to prescribe the drug.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Does anyone know what the big decisions likely to be coming down the pipe this summer will be?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

pencilhands posted:

Does anyone know what the big decisions likely to be coming down the pipe this summer will be?

A continued march towards theocratic fascism.

e: love to see the right continue to shop their lawsuits in a way everyone knows ensures they get the rulings they want and that nobody ever challenges the illegitimacy of the judiciary.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Feb 7, 2023

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

pencilhands posted:

The one that will get the most press is the student debt relief decision. Assuming the justices find a spurious reason to sidestep the standing issue (they will), expect them to kill the plan based on "political question" doctrine.

There is also the same loving Colorado baker who is always getting up to Courts of Appeal that has an interesting but probably not very wide-ranging decision coming down about private businesses and protected classes.

Otherwise, unless I missed a breakdown somewhere, nothing else that's set to upend society.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Umm what happened to that one “state legislatures can pick what happens in elections regardless of voter results” thing? My brain doesn’t want to think about it so I’ve completely forgotten the case name for my own mental health.

I’m pretty sure that is a huge one on the horizon.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

pencilhands posted:

the Section 230 thing i posted earlier matters a lot for tech policy if anything changes, or even to a lesser degree if it doesn't, since it hasn't been brought up at SCOTUS ever before and there's no precedent around it

it's even a mystery how the votes will fall since it's not really an ideological issue that will obviously cleave to the common left/right split

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

jeeves posted:

Umm what happened to that one “state legislatures can pick what happens in elections regardless of voter results” thing? My brain doesn’t want to think about it so I’ve completely forgotten the case name for my own mental health.

The primary impact of that case will basically just be to say that state legislatures have a constitutional right to gerrymander and cannot be stopped by any state-level means. Not great, but not catastrophic either.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

jeeves posted:

They already can. Not after an election and they still can't with this case, but the state can already cancel an election and just pick electors.

This is mostly about gerrymandering and it could backfire badly on the gop since it's mostly blue states being restricted by state laws. California and New York could start redrawing immediately for 2024.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The Court is going to be killing Affirmative Action this year, after it was narrowly avoided a few years ago when Scalia died

Moritastic
Oct 25, 2005

I don't wanna explode!

killer_robot posted:

This issue of authority and expertise leads to the suit’s third flaw: Never before has a federal judge imposed a ban on a particular drug by wholly revoking FDA approval. That is what the plaintiffs demand, yet it is an unprecedented step that would radically disrupt the entire existing health care system. The plaintiffs want Kacsmaryk to outlaw mifepristone in every state, abruptly halting doctors’ ability to prescribe the drug.

Why would this judge's decision apply national and not just in the 5th circuit?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Moritastic posted:

Why would this judge's decision apply national and not just in the 5th circuit?

The issue is that there is no regional or circuit-based FDA approval process. It is a nationwide thing managed by a federal agency. The FDA says "this drug is approved," and then here comes a circuit judge saying "I revoke your approval." It's absolutely insane, unprecedented, and either creates a situation where the FDA has no jurisdiction in certain court circuits because the courts become the arbiter of drug approvals. It's not "we ban abortion pills in TX" but "we overrule the approval," which is a whole different can of worms. Am I approved? How can I be approved nationally but not in the 5th circuit? What does this do to my supply chain? Does the FDA approval process even mean anything if we've decided that an unrelated branch of government can overrule its approvals?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Sundae posted:

The issue is that there is no regional or circuit-based FDA approval process. It is a nationwide thing managed by a federal agency. The FDA says "this drug is approved," and then here comes a circuit judge saying "I revoke your approval." It's absolutely insane, unprecedented, and either creates a situation where the FDA has no jurisdiction in certain court circuits because the courts become the arbiter of drug approvals. It's not "we ban abortion pills in TX" but "we overrule the approval," which is a whole different can of worms. Am I approved? How can I be approved nationally but not in the 5th circuit? What does this do to my supply chain? Does the FDA approval process even mean anything if we've decided that an unrelated branch of government can overrule its approvals?

Double-post, but let's take this to the rest of the way it can go: What happens when an anti-vaxxer group gets a sympathetic anti-vax judge to revoke approval of the measles vaccine because of debunked autism horseshit? What happens when some "god will prove healing" turd in Oregon sues to revoke approval of antibiotics? How does any drug maker at any scale produce and distribute drugs when any loving idiot anywhere can find a sympathetic court to undo the regulatory process?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Main Paineframe posted:

The primary impact of that case will basically just be to say that state legislatures have a constitutional right to gerrymander and cannot be stopped by any state-level means. Not great, but not catastrophic either.

This pretty catastrophic considering the number of states they control and that they could gerrymander states like Virginia to give themselves permanent control over state legislatures that they'll also transfer the governor's power to like they did in Wisconsin to ensure if a Dem wins statewide it won't matter.

Sundae posted:

Double-post, but let's take this to the rest of the way it can go: What happens when an anti-vaxxer group gets a sympathetic anti-vax judge to revoke approval of the measles vaccine because of debunked autism horseshit? What happens when some "god will prove healing" turd in Oregon sues to revoke approval of antibiotics? How does any drug maker at any scale produce and distribute drugs when any loving idiot anywhere can find a sympathetic court to undo the regulatory process?

Hello and welcome to the GOP death cult's long term goals of Government Bad. If (when) this shopped-for judge issues a ruling that the drug is now banned or w/e, the proper response would be for the FDA and Biden to say "nah, gently caress your judicial activism I'm going to pardon anyone who continues to make and sell the drug" and force a long overdue reckoning but Biden, like Obama, is perfectly content to kick the can down the road and off the cliff instead so he'll probably make some worthless statements about it and then do nothing of substance.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Feb 7, 2023

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Sundae posted:

From a legal perspective it seems to me that it would honestly be more sane to say "the FDA is unconstitutional and is hereby abolished" than to give every circuit court judge in America line-item veto power over a regulatory agency.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

eSports Chaebol posted:

From a legal perspective it seems to me that it would honestly be more sane to say "the FDA is unconstitutional and is hereby abolished" than to give every circuit court judge in America line-item veto power over a regulatory agency.

This is also 100% acceptable to Republicans. And applies to every agency.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

This is also 100% acceptable to Republicans. And applies to every agency.

It’s not a result that the court can grant though. The constitution gives the executive branch the power to see that the nations laws are upheld.

The FDA is a natural extension of that authority.

The courts can not countermand another branch of government’s constitutional authority because those are both equal levels of authority, that’s separation of powers.

The court would have to say congress doesn’t have the power to pass the laws that say that food and drugs are regulated. This would be the equivalent of saying that congress can not regulate interstate trade which is a power expressly granted to it in the constitution.

I don’t think any of this is plausible.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Murgos posted:

It’s not a result that the court can grant though. The constitution gives the executive branch the power to see that the nations laws are upheld.

The courts can not countermand another branch of government’s constitutional authority because those are both equal levels of authority, that’s separation of powers.

The court would have to say congress doesn’t have the power to pass the laws that say that food and drugs are regulated. This would be the equivalent of saying that congress can not regulate interstate trade which is a power expressly granted to it in the constitution.

Well here's the scary part: Judges reach implausible conclusions using implausible logic all the time. And if they can't abolish [agency] summarily, they will do it in effect in piecemeal fashion.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Murgos posted:

Literally they just ruled that a constitutional right of privacy doesn't exist because of 16th century dudes existing, and that undercuts like half the bill of rights.

The mask is off plausible doesn't really matter.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Murgos posted:

That's why this is so insane to me. Congress explicitly established the FDA. It created the Code of Federal Regulations to govern the approval process. The process was followed and went through the FDA's advisory and review board per process. The FDA approved the drug. Twenty years later, along comes Judge Chucklefuck who says "yeah no, I'm revoking your approval somehow, even though there is a system in place established by another branch of government that describes how this process is performed."

This is actually a crazier lawsuit, on its face, than the poo poo saying the EPA isn't allowed to make its own rules, or that any rules an alphabet-agency forces people to follow have to be passed by congress as laws. This is technically saying "I interject myself into that process and undo the result of it as a superior arbiter to the FDA's approval process." It leaves the process in place but fucks with the outcomes in a way that allows anyone anywhere to gently caress with them. I could theoretically go find a sympathetic judge somewhere and repeal the approvals on Sildenafil Citrate, using this case as precedent if it ended like this. This case, if ruled on by the judge to revoke approval of mifepristone, will 100% go to SCOTUS. There's no way around that, because it breaks the entire medical approval system otherwise.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Murgos posted:

Perhaps you should actually look at the court's major decisions over the past several decades.

Also "Congress doesn't have the power to create an agency that regulated food and drugs and has to do it themselves" is absolutely a belief among the right. They aren't exactly quiet about the desire to destroy the administrative state even though it would cripple the US almost immediately. The problem is then compounded by the fact that the legislative and executive branches, when faced with judicial overreach, just go "oh ok I guess that's that" instead of telling the judge(s) in question to gently caress off or, even more unlikely, remove their asses from the bench.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Sundae posted:

That's why this is so insane to me. Congress explicitly established the FDA.

Also the Voting Rights Act and welp.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Murgos posted:

The court would have to say congress doesn’t have the power to pass the laws that say that food and drugs are regulated.

Aren’t you describing Chevron deference, though, which many believe could be struck down in the near future? They could easily declare that drug approvals are laws that have to be voted on by both houses of Congress rather than just the FDA board or however it works today

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

If they abolished the FDA wouldn't that allow mifepristone since the agency that tells companies that they can or can't sell certain drugs would no longer be able to restrict anything?

Like before the FDA you could just sell heroin and antifreeze to people as cough syrup

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

haveblue posted:

Aren’t you describing Chevron deference, though, which many believe could be struck down in the near future? They could easily declare that drug approvals are laws that have to be voted on by both houses of Congress rather than just the FDA board or however it works today

quote:

If they abolished the FDA wouldn't that allow mifepristone since the agency that tells companies that they can or can't sell certain drugs would no longer be able to restrict anything?

Like before the FDA you could just sell heroin and antifreeze to people as cough syrup

That would at least be legally consistent though stupid. This case appears to be saying that the existing law is law, but that the judge can (with statute of limitations) decide later that the FDA's approval is revoked, making themselves uncertain arbiters of drugworthiness and undermining a process that is still in place. This ruling would still require that I apply for FDA approval before I could sell a drug, but it would make it unclear whether their approval actually means anything. Their rejection would still count, but a court could intervene and undo the approval in any sympathetic jurisdiction, because my drug is likely to be sold in any jurisdiction and therefore you'll always find some form of fake standing.

This ruling would say "you still need an approval to sell the drug, but the approval you got is no good because I said so, even though the decision isn't in the judicial branch."

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

VitalSigns posted:

That ends with them stepping in at the state level to stop abortions and provide a fresh crop of desperate child wage slave miners

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

haveblue posted:

Chevron’s different. Chevron is “if Congress’s law granting an agency power is ambiguous, we defer to agency interpretation of that ambiguity unless its a totally crazy interpretation”. While I think that’s a *good* approach, it’s not insane or implausible to say that the courts only owe the agency the deference that their logic deserves.

The argument you’re referring to is a strengthening of the non-delegation doctrine, which allows courts to say Congress can’t delegate its powers to another branch of government (the executive) unless they give them adequate guidance as to how to execute those powers. While this isn’t crazy in and of itself - Congress abdicating its role entirely isn’t good! - it’s easy to see how you could extend that logic to invalidate any agency action you didn’t like just by saying it was an impermissible delegation.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

This is the FDA lawsuit: https://adflegal.org/sites/default/files/2022-11/Alliance-for-Hippocratic-Medicine-v-FDA-2022-11-18-Complaint.pdf

It’s… something.

quote:

First, the FDA never had the authority to approve these drugs for sale. In 2000, the FDA approved chemical abortion drugs under 21 C.F.R. § 314, Subpart H (Subpart H). This regulation authorizes the FDA to grant “accelerated approval” of “certain new drug products that have been studied for their safety and effectiveness in treating serious or life-threatening illnesses and that provide meaningful therapeutic benefit to patients over existing treatments.” 21 C.F.R.
§ 314.500 (emphasis added).
But chemical abortion drugs do not treat serious or life-threatening illnesses. Indeed, pregnancy is a normal physiological state that many females experience one or more times during their childbearing years. Pregnancy rarely leads to complications that threaten the life of the mother or the child. Following delivery, almost all women return to a normal routine without disability.9
Likewise, chemical abortion drugs do not provide a “meaningful therapeutic benefit” to women and girls over existing treatments.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Harold Fjord posted:

That ends with them stepping in at the state level to stop abortions and provide a fresh crop of desperate child wage slave miners

Funny that you mention that.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

The GOP solution to insulin prices: declare that type 2 diabetes legally does not exist

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

BTW, the two drugs they’re suing over are mifepristone and misoprostol.

mifepristone is also approved as:

quote:

--------------------INDICATIONS AND USAGE-------------------
Korlym (mifepristone) is a cortisol receptor blocker indicated to control hyperglycemia secondary to hypercortisolism in adult patients with endogenous Cushing's syndrome who have type 2 diabetes mellitus or glucose intolerance and have failed surgery or are not candidates for surgery.

Same dose.

And for misoprostol:

quote:

INDICATIONS AND USAGE
Cytotec (misoprostol) is indicated for reducing the risk of NSAID (nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, including aspirin)-induced gastric ulcers in patients at high risk of complications from gastric ulcer, eg, the elderly and patients with concomitant debilitating disease, as well as patients at high risk of developing gastric ulceration, such as patients with a history of ulcer. Cytotec has not been shown to reduce the risk of duodenal ulcers in patients taking NSAIDs. Cytotec should be taken for the duration of NSAID therapy. Cytotec has been shown to reduce the risk of gastric ulcers in controlled studies of 3 months’ duration. It had no effect, compared to placebo, on gastrointestinal pain or discomfort associated with NSAID use.

They mention these approved indications once as an indication of how unsafe the drugs are in pregnancy but this seems to kind of make the entire matter moot, no? Well, I guess they’re suing to remove an indication for the drugs?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

BTW, the two drugs they’re suing over are mifepristone and misoprostol.

mifepristone is also approved as:

Same dose.

And for misoprostol:

They mention these approved indications once as an indication of how unsafe the drugs are in pregnancy but this seems to kind of make the entire matter moot, no? Well, I guess they’re suing to remove an indication for the drugs?

Sounds like it's time to sue in a sympathetic jurisdiction to return sildenafil citrate to only being used for pulmonary hypertension. Not that boner pills and abortion should be treated as equivalent, but :regd08:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
I'm confused by this thread commentary; courts have been able to rule on agency administrative actions forever. While the particular suit is ludicrous, the basic grounds and idea of suing over a particular finding (including the approval of individual drugs) isn't new.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Discendo Vox posted:

I'm confused by this thread commentary; courts have been able to rule on agency administrative actions forever. While the particular suit is ludicrous, the basic grounds and idea of suing over a particular finding (including the approval of individual drugs) isn't new.

We are expecting them to dramatically overreach, given the composition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Harold Fjord posted:

We are expecting them to dramatically overreach, given the composition.

To continue* to dramatically overreach.