Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

What is your goal with “pairing a single coil and a humbucker?” Sorry it isnt clear to me.

1 coil < 2 coils
so...

3 coils > 2 coils

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

There’s all kinds of wind/magnet combos for single coils and humbuckers that sound pretty different from one another. Unless you want to try everything, which is cool too, you probably want to have a vague notion of a sound in your head that you hope to achieve and then see what fits that situation.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

What is your goal with “pairing a single coil and a humbucker?” Sorry it isnt clear to me.

Tele bridge good, PAF neck good. Try something that scratches both itches because life is short and you can't take your money with you.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
when i plug my taylor acoustic electric into my keely compressor...which is more correct scientifically - single coil or humbucker setting?

dont wanna break this thing

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

luchadornado posted:

Tele bridge good, PAF neck good. Try something that scratches both itches because life is short and you can't take your money with you.

My dude sounds like you got it figured out. That is an awesome combination. I either like that or a filtertron neck because I am a land of contrasts.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

some technique gore from a picture of me:

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Second guitar lesson today and getting feedback on technique and ergonomics and economy of motion stuff that I didnt have feedback on from internet learning is so lit. I already feel so much more comfortable and in control of dynamics and stuff

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Looks fuckin cool

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat

landgrabber posted:

some technique gore from a picture of me:

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

gently caress this guitar gently caress this guitar gently caress this guitar i hate my life i'm gonna cry

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

landgrabber posted:

gently caress this guitar gently caress this guitar gently caress this guitar i hate my life i'm gonna cry

:yikes:

posts like this make me feel grateful i get to just play guitar instead of dealing with hosed up problems for weeks on end.

feel better soon! maybe play the tele instead of the turbo hosed strat?

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Helianthus Annuus posted:

:yikes:

posts like this make me feel grateful i get to just play guitar instead of dealing with hosed up problems for weeks on end.

feel better soon! maybe play the tele instead of the turbo hosed strat?

it also needs to be set up, which apparently i can't do for poo poo, so...

it also has strings that are loving gross and i have like -$30 to my name.

drhankmccoyphd
Jul 22, 2022
So I've been in the process of building out a new effects loop/pedal setup. Right now I have my Orange Rocker 15 combo -> Compressor -> Reverb -> Chorus. So far I really like the tone I'm getting, however, when I turn on the compressor the tone sounds a little hollow if that makes sense? When I turn it off I can hear the bite of the Orange distortion much better. Not sure if this is just me not getting the levels right. I'm very pleased with the chorus though as it gives me that 90s STP/Smashing Pumpkins sound in clean or dirty channel. Another thing that I've sort of noticed is that I like my Tele sound much better out of this setup compared to my Charvel DK24 pro mod. This setup is great for that gritty 70s/90s rhythm tone but for screaming 80s metal solo town this just ain't it. Which is fine I have a solid state smart amp for that kind of thing. Someone recommended this MXR compressor https://reverb.com/item/361623-mxr-...heWIHjFM1u6s1uI so I may track one of those down and return the JOYO.

Compressor: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RJXMRNC?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
Reverb: https://reverb.com/item/33276073-st...p33cioYxfFhIix8
Chorus: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B085QK6RVR?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

A Small Beetle
Apr 15, 2006

maybe play the tele instead of the turbo hosed strat?

I find a week back on my inexpensive tele often reinvigorates my enthusiasm for practicing. A change is as good as a rest and all that.

Tangentially related, my notionally much nicer Epiphone LP has been acting up lately. When playing chords with an open G string, the G is ringing out much louder and longer than the other notes. It's not out of tune and switching to the tele suggests it's not my (admittedly lovely) technique. I'll probably take it in to my local store for a setup next weekend, but I'm curious if folks here can suggest likely culprits. Possibly relevant factors: 1) I switched from 10s to 9s a while ago, 2) winter in Chicago.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

drhankmccoyphd posted:

So I've been in the process of building out a new effects loop/pedal setup. Right now I have my Orange Rocker 15 combo -> Compressor -> Reverb -> Chorus. So far I really like the tone I'm getting, however, when I turn on the compressor the tone sounds a little hollow if that makes sense?

If you're running the comp in the loop it's probably going to be a bit overwhelmed. Nothing wrong with compression post amp, but usually it's studio grade units with enough adjustment that you can compensate for higher levels - pedal comps have limited parameters for adjustment so are set for typical guitar levels and will clamp pretty heavily on preamp level signals. Are you wanting to use it for more sustain or as a limiter?

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

landgrabber posted:

hogwash -- it's gotta be easier to set up the tele than it is to set up the strat. if you can't replace the strings on it, you could try to clean them with rubbing alcohol (just dont get any on the fretboard or it will dry out the wood). probably wise to wait until you are less pissed off though -- being super pissed off makes you more likely to have bad luck in all things.

Buschmaki posted:

Second guitar lesson today and getting feedback on technique and ergonomics and economy of motion stuff that I didnt have feedback on from internet learning is so lit. I already feel so much more comfortable and in control of dynamics and stuff

nice, this is how you get your money's worth on lessons!

A Small Beetle posted:

I find a week back on my inexpensive tele often reinvigorates my enthusiasm for practicing. A change is as good as a rest and all that.

Tangentially related, my notionally much nicer Epiphone LP has been acting up lately. When playing chords with an open G string, the G is ringing out much louder and longer than the other notes. It's not out of tune and switching to the tele suggests it's not my (admittedly lovely) technique. I'll probably take it in to my local store for a setup next weekend, but I'm curious if folks here can suggest likely culprits. Possibly relevant factors: 1) I switched from 10s to 9s a while ago, 2) winter in Chicago.

maybe it wants you to back off your pickups' pole pieces under the G string?

drhankmccoyphd
Jul 22, 2022

darkwasthenight posted:

If you're running the comp in the loop it's probably going to be a bit overwhelmed. Nothing wrong with compression post amp, but usually it's studio grade units with enough adjustment that you can compensate for higher levels - pedal comps have limited parameters for adjustment so are set for typical guitar levels and will clamp pretty heavily on preamp level signals. Are you wanting to use it for more sustain or as a limiter?

Definitely more sustain. What prompted the whole thing is that like I said the Rocker is great for a gritty rhythm tone but not for lead tone. Maybe that's a flawed premise and I can't have everything I want with one setup. But to your point: I didn't even think of this. So are you saying to put the compressor before the amp's input from the guitar?

drhankmccoyphd fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Feb 7, 2023

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

nice, this is how you get your money's worth on lessons!

Heh, I was able to take them as a class so I'm not even paying for them my college is. Although they do get graded...

A Small Beetle
Apr 15, 2006

maybe it wants you to back off your pickups' pole pieces under the G string?

This is pretty simple, right? Just adjust with a screwdriver?

Any tips on how much adjustment to make at a time (half-turn, quarter-turn)?

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

A Small Beetle posted:

This is pretty simple, right? Just adjust with a screwdriver?

Any tips on how much adjustment to make at a time (half-turn, quarter-turn)?

"half turn, quarter turn" sounds like truss rod talk. the truss rod is under tension from the neck, which is why we are told to be careful with it. the pickup pole piece is just changing the shape of the magnetic field, which (unlike the truss rod) won't break if you move it too fast :q:

avoid overtravel or stripping the screw head, and you should be fine -- anything else you do is reversible. there may be a need to raise or lower the whole pickup if you max out the travel of that pole piece. other than that, just adjust, listen, and repeat until you are happy with the results.

also, consider raising the pole pieces for the other strings, if you don't get the desired results just lowering the G string pole piece.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

drhankmccoyphd posted:

Definitely more sustain. What prompted the whole thing is that like I said the Rocker is great for a gritty rhythm tone but not for lead tone. Maybe that's a flawed premise and I can't have everything I want with one setup. But to your point: I didn't even think of this. So are you saying to put the compressor before the amp's input from the guitar?

Without a way to adjust gain levels into the compressor it's a bit of a crapshoot so I'd try it in front, yes. Sustain to taste while trying to avoid obvious 'pumpin', slow attack, Level to match or boost your dry signal.

There should be zero reason the Rocker can't do a good lead tone but I'll admit I find Orange a bit finicky (also they are probably our main rival brand at moment so boo hiss).

landgrabber posted:

Playing crappy strings because I couldn't afford/was too stupid to change them put me off guitar for so long. I will chip in to buy you strings if you have some way to make that happen.

darkwasthenight fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Feb 7, 2023

A Small Beetle
Apr 15, 2006

"half turn, quarter turn" sounds like truss rod talk. the truss rod is under tension from the neck, which is why we are told to be careful with it. the pickup pole piece is just changing the shape of the magnetic field, which (unlike the truss rod) won't break if you move it too fast :q:

avoid overtravel or stripping the screw head, and you should be fine -- anything else you do is reversible. there may be a need to raise or lower the whole pickup if you max out the travel of that pole piece. other than that, just adjust, listen, and repeat until you are happy with the results.

also, consider raising the pole pieces for the other strings, if you don't get the desired results just lowering the G string pole piece.

Thanks, I'm naturally cautious about these things on account of being a klutz!

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

A Small Beetle posted:

If it only happens when the string is played open, and it started after going to lighter gauge strings, my best guess is that the nut slot for the G string is just barely too wide. The nut slot being too wide will allow the string to additionally vibrate slightly in the slot itself, instead of the vibrations stopping at the take off point at the front of the nut. If it happens reliably just picking the string open, you might be able to lightly rest a finger on the G string above the nut and see if it goes away.

I had this happen on a guitar when I tried to switch to a lighter set of strings, but it happened on the B string in my case.

There is usually not an easy fix for that problem. Short of taking it to an experienced luthier (not a guitar store guy that doesn't do nut replacements), my only recommendation would be to go back to 10-46s and see if it goes away.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

If you're not afraid of having a go at it, I've fixed low but slots with the ol' baking soda and superglue trick a bunch of times at this point:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slCMkvEfK_U

just that and a set of cheap files like so: https://www.amazon.com/Guitar-Bridge-Saddle-Nut-Files/dp/B01LQO3GGS/

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

darkwasthenight posted:

Playing crappy strings because I couldn't afford/was too stupid to change them put me off guitar for so long. I will chip in to buy you strings if you have some way to make that happen.

I second this - this a good thread, LG is a good poster and if chipping in a few pounds for strings helps then, I'm happy to do that.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Disco Pope posted:

LG is a good poster

not true lmfao

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

landgrabber posted:

not true lmfao

Okay, you're not, but goddamn it, you're OUR bad poster.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I think LG has the exact model of stratocaster I do and also hates its technical foibles that I, as no great intellect, can fully understand so theyre cool imo

A Small Beetle
Apr 15, 2006

Major Operation posted:

If it only happens when the string is played open, and it started after going to lighter gauge strings, my best guess is that the nut slot for the G string is just barely too wide. The nut slot being too wide will allow the string to additionally vibrate slightly in the slot itself, instead of the vibrations stopping at the take off point at the front of the nut. If it happens reliably just picking the string open, you might be able to lightly rest a finger on the G string above the nut and see if it goes away.

I had this happen on a guitar when I tried to switch to a lighter set of strings, but it happened on the B string in my case.

There is usually not an easy fix for that problem. Short of taking it to an experienced luthier (not a guitar store guy that doesn't do nut replacements), my only recommendation would be to go back to 10-46s and see if it goes away.

Trying switching back to 10s and Helianthus Annuus' tip about the adjusting the pole pieces seem like simple ways to at least get a better idea of what's causing the problem. I'll give em a go when I get home from work.

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

If you're not afraid of having a go at it, I've fixed low but slots with the ol' baking soda and superglue trick a bunch of times at this point:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slCMkvEfK_U

just that and a set of cheap files like so: https://www.amazon.com/Guitar-Bridge-Saddle-Nut-Files/dp/B01LQO3GGS/

Thanks for sharing this although it might be a bit out of my comfort zone!

I appreciate the advice everyone.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Are we starting an LG string fund or what?

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Dang, are we all so broke we need to crowdfund a pack of strings?

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
I've been doing some more reading on guitars and browsing various shops online and I'm 99% decided I want to park my Washburn for the time being and get something with a hard tail and maybe a slightly smaller scale than the MG74. I'm a bit paralysed by how many guitars are out there that look cool and review well, but my budget is around £400 and I have 2 top options at the moment, a PRS 245 Standard or a Harley Benton SC Custom Plus. They're the same price, although the PRS comes with a quality gig bag too. Scales are 24.5 vs 24.75, so pretty similar. The PRS has a slightly thicker neck but only by a couple of mm. There's no chance to try either in person, but both can be returned within 30 days. It's hard to look past the PRS on the headstock, but the HB is (more) beautiful imo.

vs

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Feb 7, 2023

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

The Harley Benton has a set of EMGs in it that go for $200 themselves so... it's hard to beat that for value. Especially since it seems to be cheaper than the PRS as well.

I don't know that there's a brand to beat Harley Benton for value on the market right now just because they're selling drat near for cost to build up their reputation. I don't doubt in another 5 years the same guitar could cost twice as much.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
I have 3 Harley Benton instruments, one of their 335 clones (the plus model with the coil split), a Bass VI, and a nice acoustic. They’re all great for the price I paid, but the acoustic, which I think is normally about $400 so a similar price bracket, and it is really nice. It’s pretty much cosmetically perfect, intonation set just right, sounds great, plays pretty well as far as I can tell (still getting used the higher action and larger string gauge, which makes it a bit hard to be certain). The 335 clone (a bit under $200) & the Bass VI (a bit under $300) are pretty good although they have a bunch of cosmetic flaws like tooling marks on the fretboard, finish overspray, etc but nothing that’s even immediately noticeable. The only functional flaw is the bass’s open G string rattles a bit. I think it might need a new nut, but even with a new nut it’ll still come out a couple hundred bucks cheaper than the equivalent Squier model.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
All this strat talk has me thinking about a weird drag strat project and funny how it intersects with HB talk, because that's also where I'm looking. The only maple board lefty I'm seeing is a replacingsub-$100 sparkly red one. I'd probably be filling in the trem route and putting a top-mount bridge on instead because gently caress trems, replacing the pickups, electronics, tuners and nut so I'm reallyjust buying this for a body and a fretted neck. Is this a really bad idea?

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

lg plays so much that it shames me for playing only like once a week. If her poo poo is broke down for need of strings or someone to pay Dr F to lock down her trem and fix that saddle then point us at the Patreon or whatever. She’d owe us a medley of her favorite Weezer riffs, of course.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Pondex posted:

Dang, are we all so broke we need to crowdfund a pack of strings?

😢 yes

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
see if you qualify for monthly payments

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

See, if they were bass strings you wouldn’t ever change them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Buschmaki posted:

I think LG has the exact model of stratocaster I do and also hates its technical foibles that I, as no great intellect, can fully understand so theyre cool imo

2021 player strat? i got the one from chicago music exchange that's pacific peach. and, i have to imagine, a really bad one of the lot.

duodenum posted:

lg plays so much that it shames me for playing only like once a week. If her poo poo is broke down for need of strings or someone to pay Dr F to lock down her trem and fix that saddle then point us at the Patreon or whatever. She’d owe us a medley of her favorite Weezer riffs, of course.

the saddle has a stripped screw you'd use to adjust the height. but all of that is kind of getting around the fact that it just needs fretwork... which i'm definitely too broke to afford at the moment.

i probably couldn't stop myself from going "yeah sure send money for strings, i'll run down to GC real fast" but my bank account has -$36 in it at the moment.

i was offered a job today so stuff should be looking up soon, fortunately enough... just going to be a rough few weeks until i can get paid.