Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Velma is one of those cases where the show is so offensively bad it actually alienated all the folks who would otherwise have been it's defenders too, like that High Guardian Spice show on Crunchyroll did. Those are exceptionally rare those days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

So is Kaling just the voice of Velma with no other stake in the show?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So if Kaling’s not in charge who is primarily responsible for this trash fire then?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

TV Zombie posted:

So is Kaling just the voice of Velma with no other stake in the show?

She's listed as an executive producer, but being an "executive producer" on stuff these days means jack poo poo, or at the very least "I paid an amount of my own money to help make this, I want my name in the credits."

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Larryb posted:

So if Kaling’s not in charge who is primarily responsible for this trash fire then?

Charlie Grandy, a longtime collaborator of Kaling's going all the way back to The Office, from the look of it.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

nine-gear crow posted:

Velma is one of those cases where the show is so offensively bad it actually alienated all the folks who would otherwise have been it's defenders too, like that High Guardian Spice show on Crunchyroll did. Those are exceptionally rare those days.

I watched the first episode. I thought it was kind of silly and not in a good was but I didn't hate it. I just don't have much desire to see any more of it.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Larryb posted:

Did Velma ever improve or is it still just as bad as it started?

There are a handful of goons who don't mind the show, myself included. Most of the posts were in the Adult Animation thread.

I think the show's improved. I didn't have the negative reaction that a lot of other people had from the start, I don't think there's anything fundamentally wrong with applying a transgressive teen sex comedy lens to Scooby Doo -- though I've seen it done better, elsewhere*. My main concern was that it wasn't super funny early on, and leant on a lot of weak Disch-ist moments.

The show's (mostly) dropped the latter as it's gone along, though they cropped up again in one of this week's episodes, sadly. However, I think it's definitely become funnier, and has manufactured some decent (and original) conceits.

FWIW it's not interested in being a show with respectable characters. The cast are oafish, venal, manipulative, stupid... it'a often deployed with some cleverness though, e.g. Velma isn't actually that smart in this, she's bullish, obsessive and prone to conspiratorial thinking (there's a flat earth gag), but everyone treats her as smart because they're all just stupider than her and care less.

Or Fred goes from being a brainless playboy to that dude who Read One Book and is now enlightened -- he loves women for their minds now, and not their stereotypical good looks, which ends with him clumsily two-timing some literal brains in jars.

If that's not the kind of thing you're into, then the show'a not for you, but it mostly works for me.

*I'm not talking Mystery Incorporated either. There's a super obscure Doctor Who story that applies contemporary mores to older American kids cartoons and plays it for a sort of existential dread / parody / Bildungsroman. I remember it being quite good.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Open Source Idiom posted:

FWIW it's not interested in being a show with respectable characters. The cast are oafish, venal, manipulative, stupid... it'a often deployed with some cleverness though, e.g. Velma isn't actually that smart in this, she's bullish, obsessive and prone to conspiratorial thinking (there's a flat earth gag), but everyone treats her as smart because they're all just stupider than her and care less.

That just sounds like an insufferably mean-spirited show.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Are we sure the South Park guys didn't write this

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Neeksy posted:

That just sounds like an insufferably mean-spirited show.

If you don't like it, that's cool, but I find it very true to life. Classic big fish small pond syndrome. And just a more extreme version of some of the gags in Mystery Incorporated, which often made jokes about the gang's callousness or stupidity. e.g. the way they all treat Marcie, or the running gag about how bad they are at solving crimea in the insurance scam episode.

The Velma cast are shown to be trying to do good, they're just also massive dorky gently caress ups who lack guidance and protection. They're sloppy messy teens trying to navigate logic and morality in a post truth world, where adults would rather employ magical thinking (it's a ghost!) than logic (it's a serial killer!) so that they can end lockdown early and all go and have a mass gathering. It's part of the show's general deconstruction about what it would mean to be teens in this kind of setting -- though this is employed inconsistently.

But yeah, if it's not for you it's not for you. It sometimes doesn't work for me either, but there's still stuff I appreciate

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

nine-gear crow posted:

I kind of have Velma and Forspoken in the same category, although Velma is much more like Ghostbusters 2016 in that its marketing from day 1 of that initial trailer has been "we're very provocative!!" (except that no one actually wants to carve out a battlefield in the culture war over it)

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

The 7th Guest posted:

(except that no one actually wants to carve out a battlefield in the culture war over it)

You're just not on the right (read: wrong) corners of the internet then because there are people who are very much making it their hill to die on

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The 7th Guest posted:

I kind of have Velma and Forspoken in the same category, although Velma is much more like Ghostbusters 2016 in that its marketing from day 1 of that initial trailer has been "we're very provocative!!" (except that no one actually wants to carve out a battlefield in the culture war over it)

I'm mildly out of the loop on Forespoken. Yes, the stuff I've seen on it is fairly quippy and twee, but it seems like it's all from the first few hours at least, so I'm not sure if it gets better as it goes along and everyone's just focusing on the intentionally or what. Because I just read up on the game and apparently Amy Henning helped write it, so now I'm doubly confused.

TwoPair posted:

You're just not on the right (read: wrong) corners of the internet then because there are people who are very much making it their hill to die on

Oh yeah, The Usual Suspects of "crusty nerds in their 40s and 50s with YouTube channels" are still very mad about black Velma being the worst thing in all existence, as mad as they are at literally any cartoon these days.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I heard a conspiracy theory that they were coming out hard against prospective internet haters as part of a buzz marketing thing for the show, which I can't really say if that's the case, but I will say that the very first thing I heard about the show even existing was them making a big point to lash out against backlash.

Which it's not that I don't believe that there's sleazebags on the internet who would be mad about that kind of thing, I'm sure they exist even though I don't see them and I'm not really in a position to see them, but also from a progressive standpoint, it doesn't really seem like there's anything particularly significant about this show either in the grand scheme of things.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SlothfulCobra posted:

I heard a conspiracy theory that they were coming out hard against prospective internet haters as part of a buzz marketing thing for the show, which I can't really say if that's the case, but I will say that the very first thing I heard about the show even existing was them making a big point to lash out against backlash.

Which it's not that I don't believe that there's sleazebags on the internet who would be mad about that kind of thing, I'm sure they exist even though I don't see them and I'm not really in a position to see them, but also from a progressive standpoint, it doesn't really seem like there's anything particularly significant about this show either in the grand scheme of things.

God I hate it when shows/movies preemptively strike against backlash. It's never funny and it only reads as (imo) intentionally trying to drum up controversy and get additional viewers by making it one side of a lovely culture war.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

TwoPair posted:

God I hate it when shows/movies preemptively strike against backlash. It's never funny and it only reads as (imo) intentionally trying to drum up controversy and get additional viewers by making it one side of a lovely culture war.

I mean the only times I've seen this sort of "pre-emptive clap back at lovely fans" has been for like Obi-Wan Kenobi and Rings of Power where it was just "Please don't be racist to the actors we cast in our show(s)" and the response was "gently caress YOU, WE'RE GONNA BE RACIST EVEN HARDER THEN [endless string of n-words until I'm banned from Twitter]".

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
The Obi-Wan thing was actually a surprise because Disney had previously completely ignored and hung out to dry their actresses who received racist abuse, so getting the big popular actors like Ewan to make a public "you're not a real star wars fan if you call black characters the n-word" pushback about it was actually heartening and actually helped shift the discourse from "yeah we got a rabidly racist fandom" to "sure these racist assholes say they're fans but we should call them fake fans"

Of course it was just PR but having big stars stick up for the little ones helps.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

F.D. Signifier posted:

The Obi-Wan thing was actually a surprise because Disney had previously completely ignored and hung out to dry their actresses who received racist abuse, so getting the big popular actors like Ewan to make a public "you're not a real star wars fan if you call black characters the n-word" pushback about it was actually heartening and actually helped shift the discourse from "yeah we got a rabidly racist fandom" to "sure these racist assholes say they're fans but we should call them fake fans"

Of course it was just PR but having big stars stick up for the little ones helps.

It also helped those racist rear end in a top hat fake fans rip their masks off and show themselves for what they are just to make sure that EVERYONE got it

https://twitter.com/RubbMonke/status/1621645441606492164

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

TwoPair posted:

I kind of loved She-Hulk just pissing all over the incel asshats they already knew were going to hate them.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Just started watching Earthspark and I did not know I needed Scottish Megatron until I got it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Junpei posted:

Just started watching Earthspark and I did not know I needed Scottish Megatron until I got it.

He’s only Scottish sometimes!

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

https://twitter.com/JennyENicholson/status/1621607773837602816

From all I've heard, not much of value was lost, but it's a very weird situation.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SlothfulCobra posted:

https://twitter.com/JennyENicholson/status/1621607773837602816

From all I've heard, not much of value was lost, but it's a very weird situation.

I wasn’t even aware there WAS a new Fairly Oddparents

mystes
May 31, 2006

Fairly Oddparents 2: Fairly Odd Parent Companies

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Larryb posted:

I wasn’t even aware there WAS a new Fairly Oddparents

Don't worry, with the way AI technology is heading we will be able to get new everything forever and ever without any need for human input. FOP, SpongeBob, Simpsons, they'll all live forever and we'll never have to worry about running out of content to consume. Even if it does become lost media, the AI will just probably recreate it again later down the line and we'll be none the wiser because we'll all be dealing with that big of a glut of content.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Macrame_God posted:

Don't worry, with the way AI technology is heading we will be able to get new everything forever and ever without any need for human input. FOP, SpongeBob, Simpsons, they'll all live forever and we'll never have to worry about running out of content to consume. Even if it does become lost media, the AI will just probably recreate it again later down the line and we'll be none the wiser because we'll all be dealing with that big of a glut of content.

Can't wait for all the cartoons I may or may not remember from when I was a child to suddenly swerve into shocking racism, sexism, and anti-LGBT+ bigotry because because the AI making them was trained on the entirety of the internet. Because the internet does nothing but turns AIs bigoted apparently, the latest victim of which seems to be Nothing Forever.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

nine-gear crow posted:

Can't wait for all the cartoons I may or may not remember from when I was a child to suddenly swerve into shocking racism, sexism, and anti-LGBT+ bigotry because because the AI making them was trained on the entirety of the internet. Because the internet does nothing but turns AIs bigoted apparently, the latest victim of which seems to be Nothing Forever.

The IP holders are already on that, like half the people who make cartoons now will get hired for less than what they're currently making to edit the output and supervise the AI!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

The first episode of the new Moon Girl & Devil Dinosaur series has been put up by Disney on Youtube. Behold!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vq3geyQP2-4

I think it's a very strong start, imo.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yvonmukluk posted:

The first episode of the new Moon Girl & Devil Dinosaur series has been put up by Disney on Youtube. Behold!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vq3geyQP2-4

I think it's a very strong start, imo.

How are the comics this is apparently based on out of curiosity?

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I didn't read them, but I always heard good things; folks said that Ms. Marvel and Moon Girl & Devil Dinosaur were the main good things to come out of that "poo poo, we don't own the film rights for mutants, we gotta make some Definitely Not Mutants" era.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Larryb posted:

They're.... decent. Moon Girl's kind of a little poo poo but then again what kid that's too smart for their own good isn't? I think her more recent ones are trying to make her more sociable, probably to fit in with this show (I haven't watched it yet because I'm not at home but judging by the previews alone she seems like a more well-rounded character)

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Larryb posted:

I would say bad

Moon Girl's defining trait is her "genius level intellect"; at one point Reed Richards or someone gives her a supposedly unsolvable puzzle box, which she solves, which supposedly ranks her as the smartest person in the marvel universe

despite being like 12 years old 9 years old. what does a 9yo know about anything

and afterwards she NEVER shuts up about it

and she complains constantly about having to go to a public school with normies that she's too good for because she's oh so very smart

The rest of the stories, when she's not complaining about being too smart, are about her meeting every hero in the marvel universe and learning the power of teamwork, badly

Sivart13 fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Feb 11, 2023

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Sivart13 posted:

I would say bad

Moon Girl's defining trait is her "genius level intellect"; at one point Reed Richards or someone gives her a supposedly unsolvable puzzle box, which she solves, which supposedly ranks her as the smartest person in the marvel universe

despite being like 12 years old. what does a 12yo know about anything

and she complains constantly about having to go to a public school with normies that she's too good for because she's oh so very smart

The rest of the stories, when she's not complaining about being too smart, are about her meeting every hero in the marvel universe and learning the power of teamwork, badly

That sounds pretty bad, I haven’t watched the series yet but is she portrayed any better there?

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Larryb posted:

That sounds pretty bad, I haven’t watched the series yet but is she portrayed any better there?
I haven't watched the episode yet but everything so far seems to indicate all they kept of the comic character is "black girl in the city with gadgets and a dinosaur friend"

at the very least I doubt the show will spend any time with her teaming up with Spider-Man or Doctor Strange like in the comics

also wikipedia says she's 13yo in the show which is a much more appropriate age to go on superhero adventures than 9yo from the comics

edit: thrilled to see that Disney is still doing its bullshit where something airs on the Disney Channel and only comes to Disney+ later (in this case 5 days). what in the corporate nonsense is the point of this??

Sivart13 fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Feb 11, 2023

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Sivart13 posted:

I would say bad

despite being like 12 years old 9 years old. what does a 9yo know about anything

Eh, it's not like any of the dozens of other super-geniuses in superhero universes get much of an origin story other than 'is really smart' and prodigies are a thing. Heck, Valeria Richards is a genius in her own right and she was about the same age when Moon Girl's book started publication. Personally I liked it (including the period when, since Reed & Sue were outside the 616 rebuilding the multiverse with their kids after Secret Wars, she and DD became the new (well, new-est) Fantastic Four with Ben & Johnny).

Also as much as she gripes about being in public school they do show she cares about her friends there. Which they've carried over into the series as well as a greater focus on the neighbourhood and community.

Speakinf of the cartoon they've also put up episode two now!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cq9jpTwua2Y

Edit: I was not expecting a Symbiote as the sophomore villain.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Feb 11, 2023

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Larryb posted:

I think they were okay, but also they were entirely different from how this show looks to be. In the comics where she first showed up, Moongirl was a lot less sympathetic since she jumped in on the scene as kind of a little goblin. And I guess all prominent characters end up assholes in crossover events. The comics were also way less stylized. I feel like this cartoon draws more from Into the Spiderverse than anything else.

In the grand scheme of the Marvel comics, Devil Dinosaur comes from back in the 70s as an obscure characters who had primordial adventures with a proto-human ape, "Moon Boy". They bumped around here and there for decades as obscure marvel characters do. When Moon Girl finally came along, she kinda capped off this weird thing that Marvel comics had been doing for a while where they were going on about the rankings list of the top ten smartest people in the Marvel universe (which was mostly dumb). Moon Girl's big thing was that on some test or whatever dumb intelligence measurement system they were using, she outranked everybody on the list, and bounced around for a while shoving it in the faces of Marvel's other smart guys.

I Am Fowl posted:

I didn't read them, but I always heard good things; folks said that Ms. Marvel and Moon Girl & Devil Dinosaur were the main good things to come out of that "poo poo, we don't own the film rights for mutants, we gotta make some Definitely Not Mutants" era.

The way that Marvel tried pushing Inhumans over Mutants was...weird. It was nice that they were trying to create new characters for things, since a large part of what makes cape comics feel so stale and stagnant is that all the characters have to be from the 70s, but the Inhumans in general just kinda sucked. They gave the sort of "no pressure superhero origin" as mutants did, but without the social metaphor or drama of the mutants. Marvel wasn't in the mood to do "heroes that are hated/feared by the world around them" anymore. They got movies to sell, no room for major existential angst, which kinda takes the bite out of things. There was no real reason to connect the characters together, and the core group of inhumans were the least relatable group of characters you can imagine and just not very interesting.

And also it didn't help that Marvel worked out a whole plot about the rise of the inhumans literally causing the genocide of mutants so all these new prospectively popular inhuman characters had to fight on team genocide for that.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

SlothfulCobra posted:

The way that Marvel tried pushing Inhumans over Mutants was...weird. It was nice that they were trying to create new characters for things, since a large part of what makes cape comics feel so stale and stagnant is that all the characters have to be from the 70s, but the Inhumans in general just kinda sucked. They gave the sort of "no pressure superhero origin" as mutants did, but without the social metaphor or drama of the mutants. Marvel wasn't in the mood to do "heroes that are hated/feared by the world around them" anymore. They got movies to sell, no room for major existential angst, which kinda takes the bite out of things. There was no real reason to connect the characters together, and the core group of inhumans were the least relatable group of characters you can imagine and just not very interesting.

And also it didn't help that Marvel worked out a whole plot about the rise of the inhumans literally causing the genocide of mutants so all these new prospectively popular inhuman characters had to fight on team genocide for that.

It's also very hard to overlook that the Inhumans' whole thing is 'genetic superiority' - like explicitly the cooler your power is, the higher up in society you'll be - and they have a literal slave race.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

I Am Fowl posted:

There were a few more good things about the era where Marvel tried to push Inhumans but I don't want to go on a tear when this is the kids show discussion thread, not the comic discussion one.

Anyway got around to watching the episodes, thought they were very good. Here are the similarities/differences from the comics for anyone curious/interested:

Similarities:
  • Lunella is super smart
  • Her whole subbasement lair is the same
  • She does hit people with boxing gloves (albeit not shooting them off)
  • Everyone becomes remarkably okay with a loving dinosaur just roaming around the streets pretty quick
  • Her identity is a secret
  • Her classmate Eduardo is indeed a little shitheel
Differences:
  • Basically everything else? I mean like...
    • Lunella's parents are in the comics but we never see what they do so I mean I guess they could run a roller rink but I highly doubt it, her grandparents aren't around
    • Lunella doesn't really have any friends, at least not close ones (Casey is invented for the show entirely) but to give credit to the comics, she has a recent series where she's actually trying to make some? Shocking.
    • Instead of a jetpack drone flight pack, Moon Girl has silly springs on her shoes that she walks/skates around on like Inspector Gadget (her creator said a lot of inspiration for her came from "What if Inspector Gadget knew what he was doing?")
    • Her whole thing with her praise/obsession over this "Moon Girl" from the past isn't there at all. Her name, aside from the reference to the old Moon Boy comic that SlothfulCobra mentioned, basically stems from the fact that she wore a lame shirt that just had a picture of the moon and said MOON on it and got mocked for it because kids are mean. Then she basically incorporated the shirt into her really dorky homemade costume and leaned into the name.
    • Devil Dinosaur comes through a portal generated by an alien artifact, not an invention.
    • Lunella has the incredibly un-useful superpower of switching brains with DD when she's incredibly angry. This... doesn't come up much. Though I'm sure the mind switch will be in an episode because that's just classic kid show stuff

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

But does he have champagne and a smoking jacket.

(Devil Dinosaur in Marvel's Nextwave, which totally didn't happen except maybe it kinda did)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Feb 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

TwoPair posted:

There were a few more good things about the era where Marvel tried to push Inhumans but I don't want to go on a tear when this is the kids show discussion thread, not the comic discussion one.

Anyway got around to watching the episodes, thought they were very good. Here are the similarities/differences from the comics for anyone curious/interested:

Similarities:
  • Lunella is super smart
  • Her whole subbasement lair is the same
  • She does hit people with boxing gloves (albeit not shooting them off)
  • Everyone becomes remarkably okay with a loving dinosaur just roaming around the streets pretty quick
  • Her identity is a secret
  • Her classmate Eduardo is indeed a little shitheel
Differences:
  • Basically everything else? I mean like...
    • Lunella's parents are in the comics but we never see what they do so I mean I guess they could run a roller rink but I highly doubt it, her grandparents aren't around
    • Lunella doesn't really have any friends, at least not close ones (Casey is invented for the show entirely) but to give credit to the comics, she has a recent series where she's actually trying to make some? Shocking.
    • Instead of a jetpack drone flight pack, Moon Girl has silly springs on her shoes that she walks/skates around on like Inspector Gadget (her creator said a lot of inspiration for her came from "What if Inspector Gadget knew what he was doing?")
    • Her whole thing with her praise/obsession over this "Moon Girl" from the past isn't there at all. Her name, aside from the reference to the old Moon Boy comic that SlothfulCobra mentioned, basically stems from the fact that she wore a lame shirt that just had a picture of the moon and said MOON on it and got mocked for it because kids are mean. Then she basically incorporated the shirt into her really dorky homemade costume and leaned into the name.
    • Devil Dinosaur comes through a portal generated by an alien artifact, not an invention.
    • Lunella has the incredibly un-useful superpower of switching brains with DD when she's incredibly angry. This... doesn't come up much. Though I'm sure the mind switch will be in an episode because that's just classic kid show stuff

Actually when it’s comes to Lunella’s superpower IIRC they reveal later in the series the mind swapping happens on the Full Moon. Hence Moon Girl. Also she winds up building a dino mech for DD to operate when they swap bodies :iia: