Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Grittybeard posted:

There are obviously many examples of stuff like this that are top down, and like, industrial level worse of course. This one just made me laugh a little thinking from whoever is cleaning it up's perspective 'my boss isn't paying me enough to deal with this and doesn't care how the floor gets cleaned. This is the easiest way around it.'

But yeah, individuals aren't going to save the world like we've been told and scolded about forever. That's going to take some doing.

I'm not supposed to get my fireplace repaired because chimney smoke is bad. Meanwhile, a million acres of california forest go up in smoke every summer and we all get to breathe it in for several days as it blankets the entire bay area in orange death. Like smog used to be a huge problem in CA and aggressive regulation at every level literally solved it, a huge triumph really, but it all feels so futile and stupid as individual macro events obliterate the billion micro efforts made by twenty million people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Hey what up chat thread. Guess who has covid for the second time.

Hint: It's me. I have covid.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Still haven't gotten it but I'm home from work with a throat so sore that I have to take VapoCool to drink water and it's miserable

Everyone without a sore throat today take a moment and appreciate the ability to swallow

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Condolences to sick goons.

In other news.

https://twitter.com/emperoreaganite/status/1623042493343272980?t=e_AzD3ydGz0t3MxvzdCh3Q&s=19

I really hope Trump sticks with this tactic.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Its great. All the Desantis stans are doing the same thing, calling Trump a pedo with all the poo poo everyone already knows about, but they suddenly care.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I will enjoy Trump and Desantis tearing each other down. Hope they both drag each other into the sewer.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Skwirl posted:

In other news.

https://twitter.com/emperoreaganite/status/1623042493343272980?t=e_AzD3ydGz0t3MxvzdCh3Q&s=19

Lol at this pearl clutching weenie that Trump did what Trump has consistently done for ages

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

kiimo posted:

Still haven't gotten it but I'm home from work with a throat so sore that I have to take VapoCool to drink water and it's miserable

Everyone without a sore throat today take a moment and appreciate the ability to swallow

Yeah for real, sometimes its important to just be thankful for not having a sore throat or canker sore or whatever.

Random aside, anyone else got a treadmill in their home? I've had one for 7 years now and recently it started generating a ton of static when using it. Like, every 3 steps I get a noticeable charge that pops if my arm grazes a metal side rail. 30 seconds and its enough to sting. I did a full teardown and vacuum but no luck.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Skwirl posted:

In other news.

https://twitter.com/emperoreaganite/status/1623061583206182917?s=46&t=B90B5XdtNI-lp8nLi1S97w

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
What the hell is a druve?

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Rectal Placenta posted:

What the hell is a druve?

Not much what's druve with you?

E: Get better Braks.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Imagine after all these years still believing in trickle down just wow

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Bird in a Blender posted:

I will enjoy Trump and Desantis tearing each other down. Hope they both drag each other into the sewer.

https://twitter.com/steinkobbe/status/1623094970604302338?t=2m2EeFo4zTpOxPo7Kedqbw&s=19

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Elon Musk is sweating profusely trying to figure out which side to take on this one.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

"Intellectual" doing a lot of work here.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I think that’s the joke.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

kiimo posted:

Same man, woke up and throat was killing. Wife took the 2 year old for the day which I super appreciate cause she’s work from home.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Skwirl posted:

In other news.

This is going to be some great let them fight material

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Braksgirl posted:

Hey what up chat thread. Guess who has covid for the second time.

Hint: It's me. I have covid.

I’m sorry friend :(

How hard is it this time?

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

I woke up this morning feeling a bit like I'm coming down with a cold. I didn't feel bad enough to stay home from work or anything, but I just feel mildly cruddy. Decided to test this evening after work just to be safe, and it took like 5 min for the test to pop positive. I feel pretty ok, just like I'm starting to get a cold. We'll see how I feel in the next day or two. I have to stay home from work the rest of the week and burn up the only three sick days I've accrued so that kind of sucks.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Anyone on twitter let alone arguing on it struggling bigly.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Good luck Bracks (and family). Hopefully it passes quickly.

On sore throats the scariest times I've ever been sick from something that was just random were sore throats. Twice I've been somewhat scared that I was going to end up in a situation when I could no longer breathe from a super bad sore throat. And sat there very painfully sipping water when I could force myself to.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

this aged well

https://twitter.com/KrangTNelson/status/1570845653017960449

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Braksgirl posted:

I woke up this morning feeling a bit like I'm coming down with a cold. I didn't feel bad enough to stay home from work or anything, but I just feel mildly cruddy. Decided to test this evening after work just to be safe, and it took like 5 min for the test to pop positive. I feel pretty ok, just like I'm starting to get a cold. We'll see how I feel in the next day or two. I have to stay home from work the rest of the week and burn up the only three sick days I've accrued so that kind of sucks.

Sorry to hear! That’s how my Covid started last week and then a few days feeling legit sick - fever and body aches.

I’m finally on the mend tho - taste coming back and first negative antigen test today.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Yeah for real, sometimes its important to just be thankful for not having a sore throat or canker sore or whatever.

Random aside, anyone else got a treadmill in their home? I've had one for 7 years now and recently it started generating a ton of static when using it. Like, every 3 steps I get a noticeable charge that pops if my arm grazes a metal side rail. 30 seconds and its enough to sting. I did a full teardown and vacuum but no luck.

I can't answer your science question but I do want to know the best way to buy a treadmill without spending ten grand. There has to be some re-seller of gym equipment somewhere. Like Play it Again Sports only the treadmills are functional? I'm nervous to buy one on craigslist.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

kiimo posted:

I can't answer your science question but I do want to know the best way to buy a treadmill without spending ten grand. There has to be some re-seller of gym equipment somewhere. Like Play it Again Sports only the treadmills are functional? I'm nervous to buy one on craigslist.

Costco

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t

Leperflesh posted:

Wasn't there something a while back about how copper is antibiotic and if we just made our hospitals clad in copper instead of stainless steel everywhere, there'd be a lot fewer infections and a lot less need to try to sterilize everything?

Also this reminds me of how when I was growing up (in California), due to the droughts, my mom would put a brick in the toilet cistern and put two gallon jugs of water int he bathtub so a bath would use less water and do all these things to cut our water usage by a few gallons a month. And then I read about how much of our freshwater is wasted on loving alfalfa, pistachios, and almonds. Like a gallon of water per individual almond, most of which get exported as cash crops.

Like all of that effort my mom went through was totally futile. Completely pointless. I still try to be frugal with water, I let my "lawn" die every year throughout the summer, but I don't worry about taking a longer shower or washing my car sometimes. Our society is penny-wise, pound-foolish in countless ways.

My sister used to not buy paper towels because she read that was wasteful, she'd have dish cloths and rags for everything which is OK but sometimes you need a paper towel, you know? Then at costco when a five gallon pail of soy sauce spills on the floor they just grab eight rolls of paper towel, rip off the plastic, and throw the entire rolls on the floor. Like there's six months of my sister's careful frugality straight in the bin because it's a tiny bit more convenient than finding a mop and bucket.

This is why even though as individuals we can and should be conscious of our impact, like carbon footprint, making responsible choices, all that poo poo... nothing can really get fixed without government. We live in a system of perverse incentives. It takes massive action at the level of regulation of corporations and huge government programs that force systemic change to actually make an impact. Use rechargeable batteries anyway, it'll save you a bit of money, but there's no need to beat yourself up about using a plastic bag when it could have maybe been a cloth bag or the fact you use disposable diapers for your baby.

All the alfalfa and nut growing is just a way to indirectly sell the water internationally. Now Saudi Arabia does not need to waste their limited fresh water on alfalfa and it is pure profit for the farmers selling due to the stupid water rights. I am in a similar place when it comes to penny wise, pound foolish when it comes to waste. A few years back during the large drought I cut back water to the point where a productive apricot tree died, and for what? My 5000 sqft yard is completely meaningless when it comes to water waste or anything else, I could run the sprinklers 24 hours a day and it would be a rounding error compared to agricultural or industrial use, or just people with massive estates in Atherton or whatever. Even knowing it is meaningless, I still try to conserve water as much as possible and generate as little waste as possible, just because it is all I can do. Kind of like voting, I have no illusion my vote will lead to anything important happening or decide the outcome of any election, but it is the best I can do so I might as well do it.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

kiimo posted:

You absolutely do not have to spend $10k on a treadmill. I've heard about shopping used, especially cast-offs from gyms, but did not have much luck keying in on anything trustworthy after poking around. We went with this model which was pretty affordable and still working great (static build-up notwithstanding) after 7 years. It's not fancy but we dont use any extra functionality; just set a speed and go.

https://www.lifespanfitness.com/products/tr4000i-folding-treadmill?shpxid=5af6ceea-d8e0-4eb2-ba12-4cf4bfcc3d41

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Too late I bought 3

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I want to try one of those small treadmills that go under a work desk.

Walking while working seems hard but I’d like to try.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Ornery and Hornery posted:

My wife just mentioned getting one of those too, so I think we’re going to try it. We’ve been told by a friend to not get the super cheap ones since they break really easily. I think we found one for $150, which is still relatively cheap when it comes to exercise equipment.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

whenever you're buying workout equipment, go ahead and get the more expensive version that breaks down better because it makers it easier to sell them.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Ornery and Hornery posted:

My wife has one of these and gets a lot of use out of it. The one she has doesn't completely fit under the desk when it folds up so you have to be careful walking by, which may not be an issue depending on where your desk is located.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

FizFashizzle posted:

whenever you're buying workout equipment, go ahead and get the more expensive version that breaks down better because it makers it easier to sell them.

Thinking about when my mom bought a huge heavy rear end elliptical and then decided to sell it and we both nearly had a heart attack trying to get the loving beast up from the basement because we couldn’t break it down

My dad stuck a nice hole in the ceiling with one of the handles lol

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

FizFashizzle posted:

lol that is hilarious and great advice

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I run like I’m at war with the earth in that my footsteps are so loud people change treadmills to be away from me at the gym. So I need something that can stand up to that kind of abuse.

BOOM BOOM BOOM

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

kiimo posted:

I run like I’m at war with the earth in that my footsteps are so loud people change treadmills to be away from me at the gym. So I need something that can stand up to that kind of abuse.

BOOM BOOM BOOM

This is how I've described my typing when explaining to people at a new workplace why I bring my own keyboard. It's extra quiet for the sake of everyone around me because I type like my keyboard has personally wronged me in some way

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Hey computer toucher people - I need a new laptop. Mine has finally given up the ghost. The fan is dead so it overheats, the screen is busted so I have to use an external monitor and the battery sucks so much I basically have to have it plugged in all the time.

I want a laptop that can do all the basic poo poo like email and shitposting, but also maybe something that’s strong enough to run video if I’m streaming or whatever without any lag. I don’t want to go super expensive but I also don’t want a hunk of poo poo either. Looking to spend around $1k.

There’s all kinds of stuff on Best Buy and those places but I’m functionally illiterate when it comes to that kind of stuff and was hoping someone knew of something worthwhile that also might be a good deal.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Joey Freshwater posted:

Hey computer toucher people - I need a new laptop. Mine has finally given up the ghost. The fan is dead so it overheats, the screen is busted so I have to use an external monitor and the battery sucks so much I basically have to have it plugged in all the time.

I want a laptop that can do all the basic poo poo like email and shitposting, but also maybe something that’s strong enough to run video if I’m streaming or whatever without any lag. I don’t want to go super expensive but I also don’t want a hunk of poo poo either. Looking to spend around $1k.

There’s all kinds of stuff on Best Buy and those places but I’m functionally illiterate when it comes to that kind of stuff and was hoping someone knew of something worthwhile that also might be a good deal.

There's an entire forum for this question.

Start with this thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3552651

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

There's an entire forum for this question.

Start with this thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3552651

Lol as if there’s other forums besides this one

thanks!