Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
"Don't enjoy objectively cool poo poo! Wait why did you give me this avatar??"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Whats wrong with little lights and sounds raising your dopamine levels? People pay therapists a lot more money than VS costs to do that and no one shits on therapists.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Professor Beetus posted:

It was fun to play for a while and unlock new things and make number go up, but I think I need a little more than a dopamine rush from a game for it to be GOTY.

Anyway gently caress Zuma, the people at popcap were absolute sadists, what the gently caress. Why is this casual rear end puzzle game so hard?

Is Zuma on game pass or EA play? I friggin loved that game way back when.

Also the iphone version with the eyeballs, it was grody.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

teagone posted:

Actually, turbo losers are the sort that don't understand what makes Vampire Survivors appealing!

I only paid three dollars to find vampire survivors unappealing.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I played like 8 rounds of VS last night and I get how it’s addicting, but it’s just the lowest form of a game. Animation? Blocking? Nah use sprites from 40 years ago and just clip thru everything!

The best thing about it is you just need one thumb to play. The rest of my fingers are doing stuff with your mom don’t ask.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Nuts and Gum posted:

I played like 8 rounds of VS last night and I get how it’s addicting, but it’s just the lowest form of a game.

i didnt know Ubisoft made Vampire Survivors

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

priznat posted:

It should be on the console version of EA Play.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

priznat posted:

Also the iphone version with the eyeballs, it was grody.

It's on EA play. I'm mostly just playing it while I catch up on podcasts and thought it might be fun to try and 200/200 a bunch of old Xbox live arcade games. I think, at least in the first game, they didn't bother to adjust the balance of difficulty going from m/kb controls to controller. Or popcap are sadists and the game is just that hard.

e: it's weird that it's not on EA play on PC though

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Iirc isn't the Zuma sequel supposed to be way better? I think all of them are on Gamepass along with the other pop cap stuff like peggle.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

veni veni veni posted:

Iirc isn't the Zuma sequel supposed to be way better? I think all of them are on Gamepass along with the other pop cap stuff like peggle.

It is but I only have like 3 achievements left so my honor demands I finish it.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

veni veni veni posted:

I don't even dislike it! It's actually sort of fun. I bought it on steam when it was released and played it for like 6 hours in a week. It's not bad at what it does, but I can't wrap my head around the amount of time people put into it, or what makes it stand out as different from the millions of little F2P mobile games that are basically the same thing. Other than the fact that it's not actively trying to fleece you of irl money. Is that really all it takes? You can just make a phone game and remove the MTX stuff and it's GOTY?

I hadn't and still haven't encountered many games like this, especially on mobile. Most of the ones I see people talk about in the VS thread are on Steam for tens of dollars. I also stopped playing it after a while but it was a great ride while it lasted.

If you know of millions of F2P games that are basically the same thing as VS please tell me their names lol. I tried Magic Survival but the runs all get real samey because it eventually offers you every weapon + passive every run. Also all of the enemies and characters are the same black or sometimes red blobs.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I played Vampire Survivors for almost 18 hours in the first 3 weeks after release and that's more than enough for me. Cool and fun game, but will probably never play it again.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Oh dang on EA Play PC they only have the peggle games and plants vs zombies for popcap games.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

the vampire survivor slanderers should be crushed under the weight of one PS5

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Sometimes I want to just sit and get high and play a video game that doesn't require me to think much. VS does this. And it's nice I can just let it sit and go out to smoke a cigarette and come back and I'm either dead or still killing dudes because I've picked the right combination of toys to use.

Needs more content though. Modifiers only do so much drat it!

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I for one hate when a video game min-maxes engagement. Unless it's a GOTY AAAA game, obviously

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Wanting the enemies in VS to have more complicated collision detection is stupid. There are like one billion of them on screen at a time.

It's like those devs who claimed Elden Ring was outdated because Horizon Zero Dawn had more modern quest design or whatever. If you treat games as basically identical piles of features then you're not actually engaging with the game. VS is simple but not brainless at all, and there's a lot more interesting stuff going on in its rewards and unlockables than "slot machine sounds and pretty colors yay"

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The real reason vampire survivors pwns was all the secrets and unlockables and how they progressed so naturally. And how the really arcane and out there poo poo doesn't count towards your unlock progress so he can still have brutally hard secrets without ruining the fun of it.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
why does this hot wheels games install FIFTY-THREE items

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
So the Fable game is in a playable state.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
+1 for Vampire Survivors. It's obviously of higher quality than your run of the mill phone game that throws ads at you what feels like every 10 seconds and it's great to get some quick achievements for the weekly rewards quest that pops up in the rewards app.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

This has certainly been covered in the thread, but I just gave my brother my One X (he's always been the PS guy growing up).

Is there a way that we can both be playing games under the same account at the same time? Obviously we cannot both boot up the same game simultaneously, but just now I could not launch anything that wasn't F2P.

He's a single-player guy to begin with. Would it involve making the One X my Home Console? He just wants to check out Halo MCC, BC2, some of the older 360 and XB1 games.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Vampire Survivors is genuinely fantastic. Calling it a ‘phone game’ is like when people call Hollow Knight a flash game. They’re just good games folks

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

Soul Glo posted:

why does this hot wheels games install FIFTY-THREE items

ya, it's good if you enjoy notification ASMR :laugh:

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

my eyes boggled when i opened the queue

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

univbee posted:

When a game uses Smart Delivery, you just get auto-upgraded to the Series version where applicable, however with a lot of other titles, especially sports titles, they aren't Smart Delivery and buying the cheaper "Xbox One" version doesn't give you the Series version as well, and sometimes the XB1 version gets discounted in a way the Series version doesn't (usually the XB1 version has a $60 MSRP and the Series version has a $70 MSRP). The Xbox One version will be fully playable on Series, but won't have boosted graphics/load times. In the case of the sports titles, usually the bigger fancy bundles (that have a normal SRP of like $90 or $100+) include both the XB1 and Series versions, and these do occasionally get discounted as well, which is nice if you still have an Xbox One so you can play the game in question there too. But if you just have a Series, you can just buy the Series version and you're good.

Hahaha this seems really dumb in execution.

I started playing a new season in NHL22 on my Xbox One. All was well, until I went to continue it on my Series X. Whoops! NHL22 for Xbox One and NHL22 Series X are considered different games, so I can't resume my progress on Series X after starting on XB1. Well, I CAN, but I am now downloading the Xbox One version of the game to my Series X to do so. You'd think maybe the Series X version would be backwards compatible with the XB1, but you'd be wrong!

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

OldSenileGuy posted:

Hahaha this seems really dumb in execution.

I started playing a new season in NHL22 on my Xbox One. All was well, until I went to continue it on my Series X. Whoops! NHL22 for Xbox One and NHL22 Series X are considered different games, so I can't resume my progress on Series X after starting on XB1. Well, I CAN, but I am now downloading the Xbox One version of the game to my Series X to do so. You'd think maybe the Series X version would be backwards compatible with the XB1, but you'd be wrong!

Yeah some devs are annoying about that. It doesn't help that cross save wasn't available on PS5 for a while so they pretty much had an excuse not to bother

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Yeah some devs are annoying about that. It doesn't help that cross save wasn't available on PS5 for a while so they pretty much had an excuse not to bother

Annoying is an understatement. It requires actual effort to do that, as by default any game on Xbox can just have an Xbox Series version simply just by uploading the package to it. They had to go out of their way to make a whole new title just to make them sperate.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I don't know if this is different for NHL23 but I doubt it!

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Back in the 360 days I would drive to the store to buy the new NHL on release day every year, but I haven't played it in years. What's up with the franchise now, is 23 any good?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Rocket Pan posted:

Annoying is an understatement. It requires actual effort to do that, as by default any game on Xbox can just have an Xbox Series version simply just by uploading the package to it. They had to go out of their way to make a whole new title just to make them sperate.

Does that method include any ssd optimisation stuff or are load times an entirely seperate issue?

Pretty sure the ease of porting is why Persona 5 Royal skipped doing a native PS5 version

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

This is the only thing I want from Microsoft at this point since Starfield, and Forza Motorsport are almost for 100% sure going to let me down.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Beastie posted:

This has certainly been covered in the thread, but I just gave my brother my One X (he's always been the PS guy growing up).

Is there a way that we can both be playing games under the same account at the same time? Obviously we cannot both boot up the same game simultaneously, but just now I could not launch anything that wasn't F2P.

He's a single-player guy to begin with. Would it involve making the One X my Home Console? He just wants to check out Halo MCC, BC2, some of the older 360 and XB1 games.

The games will always be tied to your account, but other accounts can play installed games in your home console. I don't think you can play online together with someone else logged into your account, but if he logs into his own account on the home console, it might work.

Sywert of Thieves fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Feb 8, 2023

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Beastie posted:

You can both play your account's full library + possible Game Pass library (even the same game simultaneously) if you're willing to set his console as your Home Xbox and live with the fact that you can only play on your own console when it's online. Your brother can and should then use his own Microsoft account to play.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Does that method include any ssd optimisation stuff or are load times an entirely seperate issue?
Guessing it's a separate issue. Xbox One BC has no performance caps on the series, though you won't have access to Direct Storage if that's what you mean, which yes will require a native build. You just plop the native build into the same title and the "smart delivery" just picks that build.

Pretty sure the ease of porting is why Persona 5 Royal skipped doing a native PS5 version

It's why we did Powerslave for the Series; it took me a day to compile, test it at 120hz and upload it from the same codebase.

Rocket Pan fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Feb 8, 2023

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Rocket Pan posted:

It's why we did Powerslave for the Series; it took me a day to compile, test it at 120hz and upload it from the same codebase.

Great port, loved it

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

OldSenileGuy posted:

I don't know if this is different for NHL23 but I doubt it!

If it's any consolation, it's usually not an issue with non-sports games. Those games and possibly a very small number of others have a weird concept of licensing with the game, where both console generations must be treated separately for some dumb reason internal to the game publisher (e.g. I know some official sports organizations like FIFA have an insane set of rules for how "FIFA" games need to work and be treated on each console, along with the NFL, NHL, NBA etc.) All "Smart Delivery" games (I believe they are labeled as such on the Xbox digital store, and all retail games are definitely labeled with this) are required to use the same save data for both generations and otherwise "just work" as you'd expect on whichever Xbox you're playing on (including cross-save in both directions and cross-play across both generations for multiplayer as well, so for online there's just one big pool of "Xbox" players). The only issue there is that, for retail games, because the discs only hold 50 gigs of data they tend to only technically include the data for the Xbox One version of the game so when you load them into a Series X you have to redownload the entire game (and you're not allowed to say "I just want to play the Xbox One version", if it's Smart Delivery and a Series version exists you are forced to replace the One version install with the Series version install).

univbee fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Feb 8, 2023

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

"Scarlett" games (the games that have a special Series version), the ones that are required to be installed on internal storage, do have some additional load time benefits that you don't get from "Durango" games (any XB1-compatible build of a game which can run from external storage). "Durango" games can still have some Series boosts like 120 fps and VRR support (and may have that X|S logo on their game icon even though they'll be playable from an external drive), and higher graphics settings overall, they just don't typically have the bigger benefits from load times you get from the Scarlett builds of games, even if you do opt to install them to internal storage.

Many Xbox One games have a ton of redundant data, a trick employed to reduce seek times so certain data that gets accessed a lot can exist in multiple locations and the software, knowing where each copy of the data is located, can jump to whichever location on the drive is fastest to get to. This used to happen a lot with especially early PS3 games; since the discs held 25 gigs while the Xbox equivalent only held 6.8 gigs, it was trivial to just put the entire multiplatform game on a PS3 disc like 3-4 times with a strategic data layout. Now with SSDs, this isn't a concept anymore; all sectors are equally fast to get to (near instantly), and there's no difference in speed between accessing sectors that are technically adjacent to each other and ones that are on opposite ends of the sector list of the drive. So "defragmenting" an SSD isn't a thing (and you absolutely should NOT force your computer to do this because it puts a ton of strain on the drive and shortens its usable life), and there's no benefit at all in having multiple copies of the same data anymore. That being said, I think something about the way Xbox games are built (possibly tied to Smart Delivery somehow, or the need to have both "Series X" and "Series S" versions) means these sorts of space benefits are often absent or severely reduced, and while the Series version may be smaller than the Xbox One build, if a PS5 version of the same game exists it's often considerably smaller than the equivalent Xbox Series version. If it's mainly an XB1 cruft problem, maybe we'll see improvements to this when they stop making XB1-compatible games outright.

Persona 5 Royal does have a PS5 native version now, actually, although I think its benefits over the PS4 version are pretty minimal.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

News about everyone's favourite subject :

https://twitter.com/charlieINTEL/status/1623295451117109249?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I'm actually legit curious, in the hypothetical scenario of there being an entity that was just Call of Duty and an entity that was everything of Activition Blizzard except Call of Duty, which of those two Microsoft would rather end up with, and how much they'd willingly spend, since I don't think either is worth $nice billion on their own. I also don't think both together is worth that, but I guess that's why I post here.