Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: GhostofJohnMuir)

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Tesseraction posted:

update: checked out the cccc thread and not sure why it was closed but I also didn't read too much of it so welcome to those from byob/cccc who have been made forums homeless

We were allowed to get unchill. Which is nice, but sometimes it got too unchill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Harold Fjord posted:

We were allowed to get unchill. Which is nice, but sometimes it got too unchill.

even if that's a fine balance to weigh, losing a posting place always sucks

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
:hai:

Fritz the Horse posted:

when fizzy/catpetter caught 30 days there were a few folks who don't normally post there that followed the leper's colony entry to the cccc thread and one of them had discord screens from years ago they tried to own me with. im pretty sure my mentioning being assaulted wasn't part of them trying to own me but it was pretty o_O to see pulled out like that

Terrible. Another side effect of allowing unchillness to fester.

It's tricky business, this speech

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

selec posted:

I’m thinking chili might be the best kind of soup there is, and I say this as a man who can and does make canh from scratch pretty often

They're right, God drat it

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
We posted in comic sans and bathed in pastel
We weren't always chill, but it was pretty swell
Games or weed or food or leftist posts
Always a good place to detail a roast

But you know the sun's settin' fast
And just like they say, nothing good ever lasts
Well, go on now and kiss it goodbye
But now I've got no one
To tell that I'm high
Go on now and say goodbye to our thread, to our thread
Can't you see the koos coming down on our thread, on our thread
Goodnight

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Epic High Five posted:

Just getting inspiration from recipes and winging it 99% of the time is the way to go, at least if you or anybody you're feeding aren't picky eaters. If you do have picky eaters maybe someone else can help because I've got no solution. It's hard to really gently caress up a lot of food.

This is basically how Ive been doing it the last few years with mixed results. Turns out I can make a pretty good Japanese curry but cannot make a samosa to save my life. Im pretty proud of my beef stroganoff too, though apparently its blasphemy to serve it on rice instead of noodles.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
it's happening, it's finally happening, we're going back to the old ways baby

someone pull the barrel out of storage!

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about believing in magical rainbow gold

We got like 32 meals of HelloFresh for free then canceled. It helped us expand the total number of dishes we now have in the quick dinner rotation.

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

You better believe though that on weekends I'm still translating Catalan cookbooks to make an overly complex elevated stew.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

RBA Starblade posted:

They're right, God drat it

it's borscht actually. specifically all the sour cream

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

it's happening, it's finally happening, we're going back to the old ways baby

someone pull the barrel out of storage!

i'm rejoining the steam group so that randler can resume sending me the freshest of german bling rap

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

it's borscht actually. specifically all the sour cream

all those posts in eepol and you still spell it with a t

:negative:

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

cinci zoo sniper posted:

all those posts in eepol and you still spell it with a t

:negative:

i mean i am an american, spending years learning about places and not actually learning anything about the people or their culture is just how we roll

i still can't keep track of all your various mayo and herring/ mayo and vegetable salads

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I apparently spell it correctly but I promise it is entirely by accident

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

cinci zoo sniper posted:

i'm rejoining the steam group so that randler can resume sending me the freshest of german bling rap

Another guy from Leipzig rapping unconvincingly about doing drugs.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i mean i am an american, spending years learning about places and not actually learning anything about the people or their culture is just how we roll

i still can't keep track of all your various mayo and herring/ mayo and vegetable salads

tbh the latter is not a problem with you, it's a problem with us. that said, there are some useful tricks to know, e.g., that every salad is made with mayo, and that all but like half a dozen salads will not have a name, and will be instead called "salad with <ingredient>" or "salad with <ingredient1> or <ingredient2>". same goes for soups, minus the mayo part (usually)

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sinnlos posted:

Another guy from Leipzig rapping unconvincingly about doing drugs.

man, german rappers were up to some funny poo poo back in the day lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3UBOOZw-FE

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Harold Fjord posted:

MS did you ever ask to have the threadban lifted again? He probably just forgot
I haven’t gotten around to it but I think I will.

Bishyaler posted:

Mellow Seas was doing his damnedest to invite a dogpile and boy howdy he got a few
Hey man, I only invited like 25% of those dogpiles.

Koos Group posted:

Perhaps I should have tried to get an IK first. I'm considering that now, and remaking the thread with rules about not talking about D&D or posters who aren't there. But I'm not sure if the crew would still be interested under those conditions.
Yeah I dunno… I think that there is entertainment value and possibly a chance for community-building in meta-discussion about D&D (in general, not sure how valuable talking about non-participating individuals is. I did participate in that a bit but it felt pretty gross.) And of course there are places on the forums to do that, but, uhhh, you know. Glad you are considering other/better ways to implement the idea, anyway.

BRJurgis posted:

We posted in comic sans and bathed in pastel
We weren't always chill, but it was pretty swell
Games or weed or food or leftist posts
Always a good place to detail a roast

But you know the sun's settin' fast
And just like they say, nothing good ever lasts
Well, go on now and kiss it goodbye
But now I've got no one
To tell that I'm high
Go on now and say goodbye to our thread, to our thread
Can't you see the koos coming down on our thread, on our thread
Goodnight

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

cinci zoo sniper posted:

man, german rappers were up to some funny poo poo back in the day lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3UBOOZw-FE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bY6059rr7BU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbtGDZf9Ts8

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

lol that all our favourite thread memories involve nn :unsmith:

cinci zoo sniper posted:

in general, what sites people use to grab recipes from?
i thought you got recipes by drawing a pentagram in goats' blood and asking whatever shows up

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

a strange fowl posted:

i thought you got recipes by drawing a pentagram in goats' blood and asking whatever shows up

that would be wasting a future blood sausage

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ahwc-ouFeTQ

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

a strange fowl posted:

It's a smart thing to ask when you've got a whole goat laying around

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

youtube reccos tomorrow are going to be a complete trainwreck lol

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

cinci zoo sniper posted:

youtube reccos tomorrow are going to be a complete trainwreck lol

Watch one of those AI Dagoth Ur videos and see which flood of insane recommendeds wins

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

no thanks, i need yt recommendations to function at least somewhat to discover more bespoke russian dnb

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

cinci zoo sniper posted:

no thanks, i need yt recommendations to function at least somewhat to discover more bespoke russian dnb

Wrong

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iR-K2rUP86M

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Elephant Ambush posted:

This is exactly why these entire forums are getting to be pure loving garbage because poo poo like that isn't funny at all. I'm extremely happy about all the abusive assholes getting banned last night and I hope the trend continues until we can finally have a forum full of people who are 40 something but don't act like they're 12

There are far too many people here who think that the only funny jokes are deeply personal insults to complete strangers who don't deserve it and they never get anything more than a 6er or 1 day probe when they should just straight up be banned

It was immensely funny when it happened

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I miss the old thread, it was doing wonders for my mental health just reading the chill. I'm not sure why it needed to be closed.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

cinci zoo sniper posted:

:rip: oh well, gonna enjoy the superpower of growing up with unseasoned food and thus being able to appreciate literally anything seasoned
What up unseasoned childhood buddy?

I find the Kenjis of the world great for the "how/why does this work?" side of things, and once I have that down for a particular method or spice or combination, I'll straight up google for related recipes containing my desired ingredients and if it looks plausible, make it twice. Once as is (or close), and once with what I think will be improvements. Gotten pretty good at knowing when it's going to be worth continuing to iterate vs cutting bait.

That said, I do like one recipe a week that way because most of what I eat comes out of a few mealprepped protein bases and I'm, at most, making sauces.

chicken breast, salsa veggies, herbs, and spices in a pressure cooker, shred the chicken after in a food processor and whisk lowfat cream cheese and something cheddarish into the veggies and juices until creamy, then readd the shredded chicken

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

what the gently caress did you people do

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

you people?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

GoutPatrol posted:

you people?

P racist imo

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Fritz the Horse posted:

it was just kinda wild to me that somebody maintains an actual goons.xls file

I'm sorry you got blindsided with lovely stuff like that :( That said, given the various drama explosions over the past few years, I'm fairly sure there's several people with goons.xlsx files, SA is weird

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

RBA Starblade posted:

P racist imo

How does "you people" rate up against "your people"? Like if you had to assign a number

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

a strange fowl posted:

if you're wondering what we were doing in 2016, we were shaming a beautiful black man during blm for buying his mum a fitbit

we need to go back

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

Elephant Ambush posted:

This is exactly why these entire forums are getting to be pure loving garbage because poo poo like that isn't funny at all. I'm extremely happy about all the abusive assholes getting banned last night and I hope the trend continues until we can finally have a forum full of people who are 40 something but don't act like they're 12

There are far too many people here who think that the only funny jokes are deeply personal insults to complete strangers who don't deserve it and they never get anything more than a 6er or 1 day probe when they should just straight up be banned

wrong bitch

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

exmarx posted:

we need to go back

Watching Hillary lose was pretty great. Okay I'm in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
this thread's culture is being mentally ill in a mean but funny way, while the cccc thread's appears to be being mentally ill in a fragile and faux-nice way. not going to work.