Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Billy Gnosis posted:

Isnt the link suppression a myth?

Yes, but also he doesn't have many engaged followers on twitter anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

Mx. posted:

Yes, but also he doesn't have many engaged followers on twitter anyway

Yeah i can see Mookie looking at the engagement and just not acknowledging reality. Him believing its wrong because the he gets constant praise on twitter (nevermind its from the same 2-3 accounts over and over again)

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I don't know what SEO magic he expects to happen. Webcomics get popular through word of mouth sharing, from fans and other webcomic creators. Not the Twitter algorithm.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I'm very confused by the idea of hi def Deegan strips.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I don't know what SEO magic he expects to happen. Webcomics get popular through word of mouth sharing, from fans and other webcomic creators. Not the Twitter algorithm.

Seeing this happen irl with my stuff completely outside of social media has been one of the coolest things that I thought was literally impossible.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Mors Rattus posted:

I'm very confused by the idea of hi def Deegan strips.

perfect for the connoisseurs of that "drawn during trigonometry class" style

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015
New page is uploaded.

I cannot wait to find out what Jacob and Arudak's beef is.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

can't believe Jacob isnt besties with the orc nazi that ink witch also didnt like for five seconds before they all for some reason are friends now

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:
Snout status: still naked

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3
Did inkwich blast her hat off with a note card inside of it and pass it to Snout? Did Snout write that offpanel to himself? Either explanation is weird.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Many artists on social media these days expect the algorithm to magically bring them an audience without any promotional effort on their part and they throw fits when the people running their platforms make it less effective for them.

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015

Invisible Clergy posted:

Did inkwich blast her hat off with a note card inside of it and pass it to Snout? Did Snout write that offpanel to himself? Either explanation is weird.

It's clearly Ink Witch's, but yeah, her hat blew off and into Snout's hands, and it just happened to have a note in it with an aside to Snout written on it.

The last time she was in the Wild Edge she spent time communicating with Snout via magic notes, so, seeing as we're back in the Wild Edge, we're doing that again.

It's extra weird because it's totally unnecessary. We can see Arudak and Jacob glaring at each other. It's visually communicated that there's a bad history and mutual dislike between them.

Emrikol fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Feb 8, 2023

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Emrikol posted:

It's clearly Ink Witch's, but yeah, her hat blew off and into Snout's hands, and it just happened to have a note in it with an aside to Snout written on it.

The last time she was in the Wild Edge she spent time communicating with Snout via magic notes, so, seeing as we're back in the Wild Edge, we're doing that again.

It's extra weird because it's totally unnecessary. We can see Arudak and Jacob glaring at each other. It's visually communicated that there's a bad history and mutual dislike between them.

It's not unnecessary. Because Mookie wrote a note about it, it stops being the author running out of ideas and instead becomes a recurring theme!

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

SatansOnion posted:

perfect for the connoisseurs of that "drawn during trigonometry class" style

We've joked about that since the old thread but, honestly, I'd loving love that. I feel like a comic that leaned into it and went whole hog for the 'this is something a bored kid in the 90s or early aughts drew during middle/high school math class" could be really drat interesting and fun if done right.

Just, you know, another example of how you can do all sorts of interesting and fun things when you know the basic rules of your medium and choose to break them in interesting ways, rather than being an idiot who never learned them in the first place.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I thought one of the reasons he started this comic was because he was WANTING to make stuff more explicit?

Well, in any case, thank goodness he decided to stop doing it

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

Mookie posted:

Gumroad is pretty chill about what you make, so long as it’s yours.

YOURS?!

You're selling books with traced fuckin' art in them, you hack.

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012

MiracleFlare posted:

But what about art done by people who don't have the benefit of being well-known? For example, in that traced image of the park, how many people are going to know first that it was traced at all, and then know that the original photo was taken by Jake Tobin Garrett, a guest writer who took photos for a city design project? Which also makes it doubly lovely that Mookie hasn't even acknowledged he's using photos that were taken for a specific organization and specific reason. Instead he just talks about how much pride he has in having drawn that page.

I had to go back to the post where I found out the source he traced a park backgrounds from, and half the pictures aren't on that page anymore. I don't know if it's because of normal data loss, from me not remembering which photo was traced (I think I might have been referring to the one in this post), or if the photographer deliberately removed it for any reason. Either way, gently caress off Mookie stop trying to sell uncredited traces for money.

Also how do Arudak and Jacob even have beef? I thought the "Zombie Alive" was supposed to be a mysterious historical figure and that it was hard for just Kikero to be able to contct him. Then again that's probably my fault for making assumptions of the plot and not just knowing that Arudak coincidentally knows the guy who knew Kaianda's original body. Also gently caress off Ink Witch, you caused half the drama with Arudak.

MiracleFlare fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Feb 8, 2023

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Mx. posted:

can't believe Jacob isnt besties with the orc nazi that ink witch also didnt like for five seconds before they all for some reason are friends now
It's just so magnificently...nothing. Like are we still at the kiddie pool? Who knows! It's just characters floating in a white void. Main Ink Witch is happy to see Kaianda and Jacob and Arudak aren't happy to see each other, but only in the most schematic, semasiographic possible way—there's "no dialogue" so there's absolutely no character inflection to any of this, it's just floating characters making emoticon faces at each other.

Like this feels like a scene in a JRPG where all that's happening is the stock character portraits are popping up in the dialogue interface with like a big sweat drop or angry sign or whatever while the text box just displays "..." again and again.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Mookie just get Daz3D and start tracing models and backgrounds.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Given that...well, I was going to say that Mookie doesn't give a gently caress about craftsmanship but actually the artistic temperature of Legacy is holding at about a billion fucks below absolute zero. But yeah, given that he absolutely doesn't give a poo poo about craftsmanship for its own sake or whatever, it would make sense for him to throw a bunch of his old strips into DreamBooth or whatever to get an aesthetic embed and then get SD or whatever to cough out the art for the strips, either as a reference to trace over or, let's be real, just to use by themselves.

But he's worried about AI stealing his non-existent ideas so w/e.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
This is so grange for me to say but I don't understand how you make like a significant amount of money and put out 10 black and white panels a week. In the last 2 days I did 17 colored and shaded panels. Fun Hater does a poo poo ton of beautifully rendered panels in the same amount of time, so do many other content creators. How do you pick the easiest fastest medium and still phone it in.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

He's not just a hack, but a loving hack

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

Boba Pearl posted:

This is so grange for me to say but I don't understand how you make like a significant amount of money and put out 10 black and white panels a week. In the last 2 days I did 17 colored and shaded panels. Fun Hater does a poo poo ton of beautifully rendered panels in the same amount of time, so do many other content creators. How do you pick the easiest fastest medium and still phone it in.

And it's full time. This is his job.
I work a day job and do 15 pages a week lol.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I was thinking of you exactly! Yes! I mean what the gently caress. The more I do this the more I love it. I just can't imagine getting to a point where I just loving give up like that. Just not give a gently caress.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

Not to get too webdog but I just don't understand what he spends his day doing

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I imagine taking care of his kid is part of it, he's posted about being a stay-at-home dad. Which is fine? That's fine. Good for him.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Oh fair I know absolutely nothing about his personal life.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Boba Pearl posted:

Oh you just know he knocks out those pages in as few hours as possible. If he had any pride in hard work he wouldn't have done that full page of text.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
It’s harder to make a comic when you have no idea what you the Hell you even want to do

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Rotten Red Rod posted:

The only hook to Legacy is that it's the sequel to Dominic Deegan so maybe Mookie should have put some thought into what his original readers would have liked to see in a sequel instead of making some weird dialogless experimental piece featuring Snout's dick.

Oh well too late now.

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015
He didn't care what the audience wanted to see then. Why would he care now?

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
I know when I have beef with someone, I walk up to them the moment I see them, even if they're surrounded by their friends who clearly love them. Then I stand about a foot away and start scowling right in their face, so everyone knows I'm really mad at them.

Snout's snout is back at least.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

That Sweet Spot of Board Games

quote:

I am not a huge board game player, but I’ve come to greatly enjoy a very particular kind of board game.

My friends are avid board gamers. They play board games that have rulebooks the size of novels, require bluffing and/or strategy at the level of a military commander, or require you to physically destroy the game and its pieces over the course of playing it. I have tried those games with them and am always the buzzkill at the table, because I get frustrated at my own inability to keep up with the level of intellect, planning, or deception required to enjoy them. They have stopped inviting me to board game nights when those games are being played, and they are right to do so.

Board games have a social aspect to them that is undeniably attractive to me. When everyone is having fun at the board game table, with jokes and playful teasing going back and forth, it is an unforgettable experience. But for me, it has to be a specific type of board game, and it must fit within these parameters:

It has to have a time limit. Board games that are played within a set number of turns or until a stack of cards runs out is an important factor for me. Not only does it mean that one game will not dominate your social gathering, it gives someone who is perhaps not enjoying the game a finish line to look forward to. Some people rather enjoy lengthy board games that have the potential to go on for hours or even days, but not me. Give me a countdown and a definite ending and I’m happy.

The rules have to be just complicated enough to allow for creative play but not so much that they make my eyes cross, and simple enough to be quickly learned but not so much that they are boring. These are the trickiest parameters to find, because every board game is different in its execution and the implementation of its rules. The only way to discover the game that fits into that sweet spot is trial and error. Mostly I rely on my more intensive board gaming friends to expose me to several games, and sometimes one will stick. It’s happened a few times so far.

My son can learn it. Your mileage will vary depending on whether your kid (if you have one) enjoys board games or has trouble focusing on rules. With my eight-year-old, it’s mostly trial and error. We know the type of games for kids he’ll like, so games aimed at children are easier to qualify, but it’s the ones for adults that become tricky. When he wants to focus, my son can play a few quick-to-learn adult games with me. Whether he wants to focus on them is another matter entirely.

Those are the most important factors that go into my enjoyment of board games. Whether a game is cooperative or competitive doesn’t mean much to me (though my son enjoys cooperative games more). What matters is the fun you have playing it with people who enjoy the experience.

On the other hand, it can be heartbreaking. Playing a game you’re excited to introduce to people and none of them like it is akin to recommending a restaurant or a movie that you love, and no one enjoys the food or the story. I am that guy when playing a game outside of my very specific parameters. Like I said, there’s a reason my closest friends have stopped inviting me to play many of the more complicated board games they enjoy.

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015
First: What games are you talking about, Mookie? You didn't name a single one. What are the games?

Second: This is another story about how you're stupid and annoying and people have stopped inviting you places.

Third: I don't believe you.

I'm honestly surprised at how much Mookie's blog posts make me angry. They're so fake, and empty, and unintentionally self-damning. I've always tried to be generous, but the more Mookie talks the more I find myself moving from confusion and exasperation into actual hate. He's stupid, creepy, and self-absorbed.

Emrikol fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Feb 9, 2023

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Snout is the fantasy of how mookie wishes everyone would treat him when he acts stupid and annoying.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Now this is the kind of stuff where knowing your limits and having come to terms with them is a good thing, since it is a social thing that involves other peoples' comfort. But the man doesn't know how to drive engagement at all. Is he worried that if he namedrops board games it will be some kind of product placement? He could be giving examples of the games he likes and the ones he doesn't so that his readers and patrons could share their own experiences with them or give recommendations about them - or even bring up the webcomic author they follow to their friends that are into board games and possibly expand his reach.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Mx. posted:

And it's full time. This is his job.
I work a day job and do 15 pages a week lol.

What comic do you write?

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Mx. posted:

That Sweet Spot of Board Games

I worryingly agree with parts of this blogpost. There is this tendency in boardgames to make them incredibly complicated, and I don't like that. We recently had this new game and started by watching a twenty minute Youtube tutorial before digging through the manual and then we still forgot tons of things as we played. Was kind of fun because we were all on board with it and all at the same level, but one of our friends is hyper competitive and kept getting frustrated. If we'd been on different skill levels, this would have been less enjoyable for sure.

Of course then we get to "I refuse to play games my elementary school kid can't play", which... says a lot about the type of games Mookie considers "require bluffing and/or strategy at the level of a military commander".

"You placed one of your figures close to my goal and waited until I got close to kick me out? What kind of military commander are you? This game is no fun!"

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
His blog posts are written at the level of a 4th grader's essay in that class where you first learn composition.

They're the blog posts that Patrick Bateman would write. They say and reveal nothing, and that becomes revealing of the void that lies underneath.

It's the kind of thing where I'm trying to imagine who would disagree with it.

Like yeah, there are certain games I will never play again because I don't have a good time with them. For example, games that are very heavy on wheeling and dealing, like Sidereal Confluence, are just no fun for me. I'm slow to speak up, I don't know how to profit in a game like that, and so I either try to be too vicious and get nothing or I'm too nice and get steamrolled over.

The whole point of these posts is to drive engagement. It reminds me of a bad conversation on a dating app. You know, you get these nothing replies that don't really move the conversation forward.

How are you supposed to engage with this. Ideally, his fans could recommend board games or maybe help him identify how he could enjoy certain games more. Or you know, actually talk. What I learned is that Mookie likes some games and doesn't like others.

I can't wait to learn about his music taste. I bet you he likes some genres and dislikes others, but that's a few songs he likes that are in genres he doesn't typically enjoy. I don't know if the world can handle that hot take.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

controversially, i think blog posts should be off limits for the thread before it crosses the webddog threshold, as people are already declaring their hatred for the man for having the wrong opinions on search algorithms and board games