Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/f...1102a1b3456343f

An $10 appetiser featuring an iconic Australian snack has divided diners, who have declared it’s 'peak Sydney'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Would and have eaten anchovies on Ritz crackers, which I assume are similar to Jatz, but the butter seems extraneous.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

I want to eat the hell out of that but I ain't paying $10 dollarydoos for it

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

AlbieQuirky posted:

Would and have eaten anchovies on Ritz crackers, which I assume are similar to Jatz, but the butter seems extraneous.

I did a quick google because I had never heard of Jatz and it appears that Australians have very strong opinions about Jatz v Ritz and I will be staying out of it.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLFFsJchIhg

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Captain Hygiene posted:

I spent decades of my life in Illinois and never saw a single giant outdoor soup cauldron :sigh:
This is how I feel about people spreading the "cannibal sandwiches are HUGE in wisconsin!!" thing. Spent the first two decades of my life there and never even heard of the things until well after I moved out of the state.

Data Graham posted:

All those midcentury food ads are "nourishing" this and "wholesome" that and it's just wild thinking about suburban moms who'd grown up trying to get enough milk out of the cow to make sure the kids didn't all get pellagra, now able to buy her kids HOSTESS CUP CAKES with CONTINUOUS ENERGY FOR 4 HOURS
I've done deep dives of vintage food ads(on a site which seems to have sadly gone down now) and it's striking just how early that and also the "holy poo poo, this requires basically no time and effort to cook!" marketing starts. Which makes sense, considering that a 1905 housewife is probably seeing that and realizing she might be able to get some precious extra free time now.

My other favorite is the constant emphasis on 'digestability', because nobody was eating enough fiber.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Haifisch posted:

This is how I feel about people spreading the "cannibal sandwiches are HUGE in wisconsin!!" thing. Spent the first two decades of my life there and never even heard of the things until well after I moved out of the state.

In high school and university no one ever offered me drugs. Not once. Were my schools miraculously drug free, or was I just such a square nobody even bothered to try? Were those posters for a 4/20 day sit in just a joke, and nobody was really smoking weed in the quad that day? :iiam:

Maybe the cannibal sandwiches were huge in Wisconsin but you never heard about them because nobody wanted to party with you. Don't invite Haifisch, they aren't the cannibal sandwich type.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I also lived for more or less three decades in wisconsin, in several regions, and never ever saw any restaurant or whatnot do cannibal sandwiches. And when I asked around when the whole mill on them started going around, and was met with just as much wonder about what that was.

It's very much not a thing outside of like, clickbait 'can you BELIEVE this' stuff.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I’ve lived in Sweden since 2016, never once seen a dish Flygande Jakob or like anyone actively ordering it.

Like I know it’s a thing but I’ve been asked about it far more than I’ve ever seen it.

Beardcrumb
Sep 24, 2018

An absolute gronk with a face like a chewed mango.

Ror posted:

I did a quick google because I had never heard of Jatz and it appears that Australians have very strong opinions about Jatz v Ritz and I will be staying out of it.

To be perfectly honest I can't tell the difference between Jatz and Ritz taste-wise, but I'd sooner cut off my balls than eat a Ritz. Pompous Ritz wankers can gently caress right off with their fancy crackers.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

teen witch posted:

I’ve lived in Sweden since 2016, never once seen a dish Flygande Jakob or like anyone actively ordering it.

Like I know it’s a thing but I’ve been asked about it far more than I’ve ever seen it.

As far as I can ascertain it's not something you'd ever order in a restaurant but purely a homecooking kind of thing.

Like you wouldn't really see Pyttipanna in a restaurant.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I’ve seen pytt in krog and husmanskost type locales many times, but never ol Jakob. Maybe it’s regional?

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

teen witch posted:

Sometimes canteen type places that only serve lunch have it as dagens rätt. Other than that it's something that you cook for a tweens birthday party if they want to have dinner and boardgames with their friends, or something a male student that can't really cook tries to impress a girl with on the third date.

Unless you associate with tweens, undergrad students, or get lunch from a personalmatsal you are unlikely to find it in the wild.

It's a dish that's deep in layers of irony at this point.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Having lived in Sweden since 1986 when I was born here I have also never seen Flygande Jakob at a restaurant or had it myself (don't like banana anyway). I can't remember ever having heard about it either, but it did occur in one episode of Swedish Masterchef. It seems like a dish that just kind of ceased to exist after the 80s.

I have had pyttipanna at restaurants though, and Biff Rydberg isn't uncommon. And that's literally just pyttipanna with more expensive ingredients.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I also lived for more or less three decades in wisconsin, in several regions, and never ever saw any restaurant or whatnot do cannibal sandwiches. And when I asked around when the whole mill on them started going around, and was met with just as much wonder about what that was.

It's very much not a thing outside of like, clickbait 'can you BELIEVE this' stuff.

Blame cannibal Georg

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

This is so dumb; communion wafers are just nasty bread until they get blessed by a priest, and then they become bits of Jesus.
Buying communion wafers to mess with them like that is pointless unless you swipe them from a church after they have been blessed.
They are literally dry, unpleasant snacks until they get blessed in a church and put into the tabernacle.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
you'd think they'd figure out a way to make Jesus taste better after all this time.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Pookah posted:

This is so dumb; communion wafers are just nasty bread until they get blessed by a priest, and then they become bits of Jesus.
Buying communion wafers to mess with them like that is pointless unless you swipe them from a church after they have been blessed.
They are literally dry, unpleasant snacks until they get blessed in a church and put into the tabernacle.

Didn't stop people from getting mad at a burger place near me for doing this:

quote:

Heavy metal burger bar Kuma’s Corner has caught heat for this month’s special, the Ghost Burger (paying homage to the blasphemous Swedish metal band) for its use of a red wine reduction and an unconsecrated communion wafer to go along with a 10oz goat and beef patty, ghost chile aioli, braised goat shoulder, and white cheddar. Some have taken issue with the ingredients mimicking the sacraments of the blood and body of Christ, whereas others just see it as a tasty burger

Kuma's is dumb and bad though

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

whatever priests are charging to bless the wafers, I'll do it for half price

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

uber_stoat posted:

you'd think they'd figure out a way to make Jesus taste better after all this time.

Is there actually a liturgical reason the wafers have to be so bland? I'm not making a joke, I really don't know why they haven't been updated in my lifetime or when/if they were revamped before that

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Manager Hoyden posted:

Is there actually a liturgical reason the wafers have to be so bland? I'm not making a joke, I really don't know why they haven't been updated in my lifetime or when/if they were revamped before that

the market is brutally unconcerned about taste and ultra conservative about everything

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Pookah posted:

how do you know they didn't get one of those quick-e-priesthood things online and bless the wafers themselves?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
https://foodicles.com/catholic-travelers-tastiest-communion/

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

At multiple churches I've gone to in Hawai'i, communion is done by having a guy carry around a loaf of sweet bread, letting people rip chunks off it, and dipping those chunks in grape juice.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

https://twitter.com/TasteAtlas/status/1621601683112329216

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

El Fideo posted:

At multiple churches I've gone to in Hawai'i, communion is done by having a guy carry around a loaf of sweet bread, letting people rip chunks off it, and dipping those chunks in grape juice.

now this i can get behind.

kind of mean to talk poo poo about food from Siberia. what else are they gonna do up there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYY7aHS_YF8

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Those top few finishers all seem to be competing in different categories tbh.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Say what you will about Skåne, skånsk spettekaka owns bones?

My only shameful New York pizza opinion is that pizza strips are actually pretty solid as long as they’re not from a supermarket.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Manager Hoyden posted:

IIRC they used to use higher quality jesus meat, back when it was feasible to raise enough of them by hand/locally. That pretty much went out the window when they started handing them out to anyone, so they started swapping in lower quality cuts and adding filler like oats. I'm not sure they contain any actual jesus meat anymore, may be mostly symbolic now.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
its important to note that many priests pan fry the shank, this is the wrong way to go about it, the shank is a low and slow cut

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

What the gently caress is this list? Stegte sild is delicious

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

American chop suey is not haute cuisine or anything, but it's a perfectly fine bachelor chow meal.

Pookah posted:

Oh I'm aware, I was raised Catholic. No sense letting a good pyf crosspost go to waste!

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

El Fideo posted:

See that's one step forward and two steps back because that 20% abv dessert wine was the best part

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

See, that's more of a Catholic thing, at least around here, drink to forget the guilt. I don't think I've ever been to a church that actually used wine in communion.

El Fideo has a new favorite as of 22:38 on Feb 8, 2023

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

teen witch posted:

Say what you will about Skåne, skånsk spettekaka owns bones?

:wrong:

You know I am willing to die on several hills of defending Swedish cooking but nope, not this one.

Spettekaka looks fancy but just tastes like potato starch and sugar. Like crunchy wall paper paste. Biggest blandest meh.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Manager Hoyden posted:

They're cheap, don't spoil, and store densely so they can spend more on the wine.

triple clutcher
Jul 3, 2012

hallo spacedog posted:

What the gently caress is this list? Stegte sild is delicious
I'm more curious how chicken riggies managed to fare worse than more divisive things ( ie: balut / salmiakki / lutefisk )

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I get how other traditional dishes in top 10 might be tough to enjoy if you're not used to them, but what's wrong with vegetable roll? It's not particularly exciting or anything, but hardly inedible by any standard. The same goes for scouse, it's just a regular stew, what's to hate there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

El Fideo posted:

See, that's more of a Catholic thing, at least around here, drink to forget the guilt. I don't think I've ever been to a church that actually used wine in communion.

Most Catholic churches don't have Communion under both kinds for lay people, and they only partake of the Bread.