Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I assume rafael behr cannot conceive that productivity gains could not translate to better quality of life, therefore it must be that everyone is spending all of the time on twitter and not doing any work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Also, "extraordinary technological advancement" == you can watch cat videos on your iPhone while hucking your pee bottles into the suicide nets.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Speaking of cats

APEX PREDATOR

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Also, bonus you-wish-you-were-this-cool taxxe

https://giant.gfycat.com/FastCalmHammerheadshark.webm
um it's called fashion sweaty, look it up

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Only Kindness posted:

um it's called fashion sweaty, look it up

the fash & sweaty is a pub up north somewhere

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
that's a fake, right?

........right?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
mailsubs sounds like pre-internet grindr imo

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Google Jeb Bush posted:

It has turned into productivity gains, though? I imagine that in this of all threads I don't need to opine where the fruits of that productivity have gone
The point is that through every possible interpretation of his question, he has not understood what's going on.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Google Jeb Bush posted:

I imagine that in this of all threads I don't need to opine where the fruits of that productivity have gone
Ah yes, of course.

Julio Cruz posted:

that's a fake, right?

........right?
It's a rare copy of the Mail from 203CE, decrying Paul's Epistle to the Galatians as 'woke nonsense' for saying "There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus."

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Julio Cruz posted:

that's a fake, right?

........right?

My mother-in-law’s next door neighbour mentioned it earlier today so I don’t think it is unfortunately

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

It’s tomorrows Mail

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
If we can see tomorrow's headlines today, would it also be possible to send a copy of that back to Spinoza?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
FFS

https://twitter.com/Nadine_Writes/status/1622875081486528514

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
who at the bbc doesnt know who beyonce is? bit weird

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
There are a lot of deeply, impressively stupid people who work at the BBC.

Also, a ton of racists

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I couldn’t pick Beyoncé out of a line up (or most any celebrity outside of my niche little area of interest) but I could definitely google her and make sure I had the right picture for my article

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
i guess its probably something pretty low key tedious that doesnt really need an apology.

like someone made a little grammys montage video and put in the assets folder or however it works with a beyonce thumbnail but labelled it badly and someone else halfarsed it by whacking it in their beyonce grammys story cos honestly who gives a gently caress but then twitter or whatever.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

History Comes Inside! posted:

I couldn’t pick Beyoncé out of a line up (or most any celebrity outside of my niche little area of interest) but I could definitely google her and make sure I had the right picture for my article

I have no idea how anyone could not have seen Beyonce, that is amazing. Sincerely impressive. There's probably a bigger star in the world today but I can't think who. Di Caprio maybe

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean I also don't really know what she looks like but my job is not reporting on celebrities.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Did anyone mention over the last 4 or so pages that the sole reason for Shitcoin is to control what you can and cannot spend on? That's literally it's sole purpose so they can have even more control over you and your money whilst eroding even more of your freedoms to do with that money what you will. It's also going to be hilarious when your money is suddenly inaccessible for the rest of your life for some minor discretion like calling Rishi a loving midget oval office. There's a reason that banks are shoring up all the physical, tangible gold they can right now.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Diet Crack posted:

Did anyone mention over the last 4 or so pages that the sole reason for Shitcoin is to control what you can and cannot spend on? That's literally it's sole purpose so they can have even more control over you and your money whilst eroding even more of your freedoms to do with that money what you will. It's also going to be hilarious when your money is suddenly inaccessible for the rest of your life for some minor discretion like calling Rishi a loving midget oval office. There's a reason that banks are shoring up all the physical, tangible gold they can right now.

I have the same :tinfoil: about the push to not use cash. Given the banks can just close an account without giving any reason as has happened to rather a lot of people but doesn't get much press, all your dosh is just gone, wiped out.

And all the Ruskies or other 'bad actors' would have to do is crash the interwebs to destroy the country - everything from making it impossible to buy stuff because the banking systems have failed, there's no ATMs anymore, the 'just in time' supermarket ordering systems cease to function... ok I'm off to buy more beans tomorrow I just scared myself.

(NB I have some experience of not being able to buy anything because of no money in any ATMs within a 30km radius and no internet not that many shops took cards back then - during the revolution in 2011).

They'll be taking lessons from the Chinese on the 'social credit' system.
Or printing a barcode on your forehead before you're allowed to buy stuff - See Sprouts of Wrath by Robert Rankin (or whichever one of the 10+ book Brentford Triangle trilogy it was)

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

forkboy84 posted:

I have no idea how anyone could not have seen Beyonce, that is amazing. Sincerely impressive. There's probably a bigger star in the world today but I can't think who. Di Caprio maybe

Oh I’m sure I’ve seen her, just absolutely nowhere near often enough or in any kind of context interesting enough to me to make her exact likeness stick in my memory.

FWIW it’s not one of those weird goon brags on how much more interesting the things I do know about must be for me to have next to no knowledge of a pop culture juggernaut, it just seems like people forget that for like 10-15 years now we’ve had access to enough services and volumes of information that you can go your whole life without ever having to interact with things from outside your little areas of interest if you don’t want to.

It’s pretty tough to penetrate the bubble in 2023.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I have the same :tinfoil: about the push to not use cash.

I'm not sure if it's tinfoil thinking anymore - lots of actors and the IMF have basically masked off saying they want to regulate ALL cash flow so they don't lose out on their investments due to inflation again. How do you stop inflation? Stop people buying poo poo and make them jobless. They can only do the latter thus far.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I feel like at that point you are likely to cause more problems because if you can't reliably spend a currency then it isn't usable as one.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Maybe the Home Office would rent all the rooms in Fawlty Towers and fill it with boat people?

I never like that show, that kind of 'humour' is not remotely funny IMHO.

I had a huge crush on Polly as a youth, the show was good if only for her

e: I may still have a crush here, but Connie Booth is in her eighties now so I remain confused

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Oh I’m sure I’ve seen her, just absolutely nowhere near often enough or in any kind of context interesting enough to me to make her exact likeness stick in my memory.

Guess you're just not Bootylicious.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Yeah I don't know how this even happens unless BBC writers have to source their images from a big filling cabinet where they're both under "Artists, N"

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Dabir posted:

Yeah I don't know how this even happens unless BBC writers have to source their images from a big filling cabinet where they're both under "Artists, N"

My guess would be that the original draft of the article had a picture of Viola Davis and reference that she was up to win an EGOT this year, then some editor decides the picture for the story should be Beyoncé cause she’s more famous, the caption is updated for the picture to reference Beyoncé, expecting the picture to be replaced with a photo of her, and then that never happens cause everyone after that point sees a reference to Beyoncé and a picture of a black woman and doesn’t engage their brain for two seconds to realise the picture and caption don’t match.

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

Is Cleese still having to pay his divorce off? It's the only reason I can think of that he hasn't just faded into 83 yr old rely on Boomers loving Fawlty Towers bullshit. I mean either die or gently caress off, you haven't been relevant for the best part of 50 years you horrible racist scrub.
I also hate Fawlty Towers & Clockwise was a turning point for me back in the day, that not every film my parents rented on VHS was something worth seeing.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Mourning Due posted:

My mom's first job was at a Broken Biscuit counter, and I wish they still existed. Someone please prove me wrong.

They do indeed, a number of places sell them still.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

NotJustANumber99 posted:

i guess its probably something pretty low key tedious that doesnt really need an apology.

like someone made a little grammys montage video and put in the assets folder or however it works with a beyonce thumbnail but labelled it badly and someone else halfarsed it by whacking it in their beyonce grammys story cos honestly who gives a gently caress but then twitter or whatever.

That's almost certainly the cause, but the problem is it's extremely bad optics when the government and media apparatus are trying to run a culture war.

A polite apology and making sure your media copy editor knows what the most popular entertainers in the world look like are probably good ideas.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

forkboy84 posted:

Not only have I never seen Beyoncé (to my knowledge, anyway), I couldn't name a single one of her songs or albums. And I like my music, too. I think you're suffering from self-selection bias here, especially with musicians where people often recognise them by sound but not by sight.

On the other hand, I still wouldn't have made the BBC's cockup because I would have recognised Viola Davis.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Jedit posted:

Not only have I never seen Beyoncé (to my knowledge, anyway), I couldn't name a single one of her songs or albums. And I like my music, too. I think you're suffering from self-selection bias here, especially with musicians where people often recognise them by sound but not by sight.

On the other hand, I still wouldn't have made the BBC's cockup because I would have recognised Viola Davis.

That's on you then, Beyonce has been the queen of pop music for like 20 years. She played the superbowl. She wins multiple awards basically every year and her songs are played in most mainstream radio stations and bars/parties.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Buncha old rear end men in this thread

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Individuals might not recognise her but the BBC is a news organisation and reporting on a major entertainment event I'd expect them to use a reporter with a clue and check it carefully especially given the 'mix ups' that have happened in the last couple of years.
The BBC itself did an article on mixups esp with people of colour.

https://www.bbc.com/worklife/article/20210519-why-people-of-colour-are-misidentified-so-often

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'd expect no less than homosexual erasure and racism from britains premier paedophile ring.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Miftan posted:

That's on you then, Beyonce has been the queen of pop music for like 20 years. She played the superbowl. She wins multiple awards basically every year and her songs are played in most mainstream radio stations and bars/parties.

While that's all true, and I do recognise her, I still couldn't name a single song or album of hers.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/BBCPolitics/status/1623230147246555136?s=19

Shiny trinkets for ARR most Corrupt BOYS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Given how every year British media (and inevitably the BBC) will label Irish actors/sports stars/musicians as "British", I wouldn't give the BBC the benefit of any doubt.

It all comes from the same level of ignorance.