Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

edogawa rando posted:

Would've made a better Horseman than loving Paul Roma, though.
No.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

edogawa rando posted:

I think he was an "affiliate," but not actually a member.

Mongo hating JJ is what finally got Mongo over with me. He was right.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

edogawa rando posted:

I think he was an "affiliate," but not actually a member.

On his podcast Double J claimed that not only was he a Horsemen, but he was the only Horsemen since everyone else was on the shelf with injuries.

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

"C'mon! Let's tune our weapons!"
I have stupidly restarted my Thunder (and 2000 WCW Pay-Per-Views) review thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3990246

I'm a sucker for self-inflicted punishment.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

zetamind2000 posted:

They did according to wikipedia

Whoa Traylor beat Bret in his last WCW match, good for him

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

The lWo was the best nWo offshoot, that house party segment they did was hilarious

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Me googling "Captain Redneck": :kstare:

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
A nice trip down memory lane and slapnuts boulevard

https://twitter.com/iandrewthegiant/status/1619313695393464321

The WCW toy biz line had a blue glasses variant for JJ, I've been tempted to pick it up

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I love Jeff Jarrett now

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Ain't he great?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Ain't he great?

Yes. Yes he is.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Tato posted:

The WCW toy biz line had a blue glasses variant for JJ, I've been tempted to pick it up

Bigger than the glasses are JJs obsession with button down shirts with no sleeves

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
He did his very best to ruin as many things as possible for as many people as possible

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Look at this slapnut

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Davros1 posted:

Yes. Yes he is.

I’m amused Jarrett thought he needed to be on the roids to get ahead.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Tato posted:

I like Jarrett’s Kermit the Frog face here.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I like Jarrett’s Kermit the Frog face here.

:jiggled: Hi-Ho, slapnuts!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
What happened to Tully Blanchard? Why was he fired/let go? Why hasn't anyone else adopted the slingshot suplex?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

He quit to focus on his religious outreach stuff or something

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mr Hootington posted:

What happened to Tully Blanchard? Why was he fired/let go? Why hasn't anyone else adopted the slingshot suplex?

Arn and Tully left the NWA over pay stuff. They went to the WWF as the Brainbusters and had a decent run for a while and the NWA was getting ready to take them back but Tully tested positive for cocaine which meant the WWF booted him early and the NWA wasn't interested either. Tully mostly bounced around doing various shots here and there while working on his prison ministry.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Dawgstar posted:

Arn and Tully left the NWA over pay stuff. They went to the WWF as the Brainbusters and had a decent run for a while and the NWA was getting ready to take them back but Tully tested positive for cocaine which meant the WWF booted him early and the NWA wasn't interested either. Tully mostly bounced around doing various shots here and there while working on his prison ministry.

Ah that sucks. He was a great heel.

Does anyone besides his racist daughter use the slingshot suplex?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mr Hootington posted:

Ah that sucks. He was a great heel.

Does anyone besides his racist daughter use the slingshot suplex?

Van Hammer, who you'll get to, used it when he came in to... mixed results but I don't know anybody mainstream who uses it.

As consolation here's Tully using the move on Ray Traylor:

https://twitter.com/allan_cheapshot/status/1529017868398039041?lang=en

(The story is Dusty saw this and knew Traylor was going to be something special so he got taken off TV as a jobber and turned into Big Bubba Rogers so Dusty could have a monster to fight.)

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Dawgstar posted:

Van Hammer, who you'll get to, used it when he came in to... mixed results but I don't know anybody mainstream who uses it.

As consolation here's Tully using the move on Ray Traylor:

https://twitter.com/allan_cheapshot/status/1529017868398039041?lang=en

(The story is Dusty saw this and knew Traylor was going to be something special so he got taken off TV as a jobber and turned into Big Bubba Rogers so Dusty could have a monster to fight.)

The slingshot is a cool move. Love watching it.

Slingshot Suplex, Russian Sickle, The Hand of Stone, and Gourdbuster are some of my favorite finishers.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mr Hootington posted:

Slingshot Suplex, Russian Sickle, The Hand of Stone, and Gourdbuster are some of my favorite finishers.

I am also genuinely a fan of moves that are basically 'regular move but really hard.'

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Dawgstar posted:

I am also genuinely a fan of moves that are basically 'regular move but really hard.'

Yeah when the wrestler adds the extra overselling of it the move stands out and are great. Landel's elbow drop was so good too. Before getting fat he would get above the top rope.

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

One or both of the FTRs used it a couple times while Tully was managing them.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

I'm pretty sure there's a bit more to it in that Dusty put Traylor in the ring with Tully as a rib on him thinking that he could never do the Slingshot Suplex on Traylor. However, he ended up hitting it well and Dusty then realised that Traylor had something and decided to make him into BBR.

Also, Shawn Spears used a Slingshot Jackhammer for a bit as well which was fairly cool. Dax's Slingshot Powerbomb is awesome though.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Hoss Corncave posted:

I'm pretty sure there's a bit more to it in that Dusty put Traylor in the ring with Tully as a rib on him thinking that he could never do the Slingshot Suplex on Traylor. However, he ended up hitting it well and Dusty then realised that Traylor had something and decided to make him into BBR.

Well part of the story as well is Ray was very enthusiastic about the notion he could take the slingshot suplex from Tully, a man half his size. Tully's all "yeah, I guess" but sure enough. I've never heard of it being a Dusty rib but I'm sure at least by that point Tully felt like it was.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Somebody get that Conrad huckster to interview Tully.

One of the things I've noticed while watching 1986 is that Dusty still puts on a show outside the ring, but in the ring he is checked out. His matches are snoozefests.

Edit: how is the arn show? Is that Conrad too?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

You can tell if it’s a Conrad podcast by how frequently you’re being told to get a new mortgage

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

History Comes Inside! posted:

You can tell if it’s a Conrad podcast by how frequently you’re being told to get a new mortgage

Oh they do blue chew lol

Whatever. Usually the best stories they have are in clips that have the ads removed

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mr Hootington posted:

Edit: how is the arn show? Is that Conrad too?

Yup. Ol' Hey Hey even married one of Flair's daughters thus firmly securing the podcast rights to most old NWA wrestlers.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
some guy at a local toy store sold a huge wrestling collection that is just 100% Kevin Nash. WWF, WCW, and TNA stuff, but ALL of it only focused on Big Sexy. I've been impressed looking at all the junk, from nWo shirts in plastic mugs to Kevin Nash walkie talkies.

https://www.crowemagtoys.com/next/?s=kevin+nash&post_type=product
https://www.crowemagtoys.com/next/?s=nwo&post_type=product

But this is the piece that convinced me I have to go over and buy something

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

Tato posted:

some guy at a local toy store sold a huge wrestling collection that is just 100% Kevin Nash. WWF, WCW, and TNA stuff, but ALL of it only focused on Big Sexy. I've been impressed looking at all the junk, from nWo shirts in plastic mugs to Kevin Nash walkie talkies.

https://www.crowemagtoys.com/next/?s=kevin+nash&post_type=product
https://www.crowemagtoys.com/next/?s=nwo&post_type=product

But this is the piece that convinced me I have to go over and buy something

I would be unbelievably happy if Kevin Nash himself had this on his car.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
New thread title?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Rusty Shackelford posted:

New thread title?

Oh no!

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

https://www.crowemagtoys.com/next/product/wcw-nwo-championship-foam-belt/

what

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

algebra testes posted:

If only the Hulk Hogan Raft could have kept WCW afloat..

Actually this post is 10 years old :staredog:

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

I like that both WCW and WWE never sold the current title as a foam belt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

did they respray the world title every night or was it just really good spray paint?