Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

SpartanIvy posted:

When it's done making my parity drive tomorrow I'll try some of these suggestions.

Also, for other ML30 owners, if you are bothered by the unusable phantom ~540 MB drive that shows up in Unraid called HP_iLO_LUN_00_Media_0, there is apparently a way to turn it off in the BIOS. I haven't been able to do it yet because of the Parity thing, but it's also on the list.

Is there by some chance a microSD slot on the motherboard? My DL380 G9 has one and came with a 16GB card in it, I use it as an extra local backup copy of scripts and configs I don't want to rewrite from hand, like my docker-compose file.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

IOwnCalculus posted:

Is there by some chance a microSD slot on the motherboard? My DL380 G9 has one and came with a 16GB card in it, I use it as an extra local backup copy of scripts and configs I don't want to rewrite from hand, like my docker-compose file.

there is

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

IOwnCalculus posted:

There is and that's what I thought it was at first, but there's no card in mine. There is also some soldered on storage on the mobo directly above the MicroSD card slot, and that appears to be what it is.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
1270v5 and 32gb ram waiting for me when I got home this evening. Got it installed in about 5 minutes. Am I a superuser now?

edit:

Unraid Dashboard says "maximum size 64GB, Useable size 31.3"

Do I need to enable something else somewhere or is this normal for Unraid.

Edit2: LOL I guess I forgot I bought 32GB instead of 64gb....I am NOT a superuser….

Captain Apollo fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Feb 6, 2023

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
Asking for a friend, what's a solid home NAS these days?

He's trying to decide between a 2 bay Synology like this one: https://www.amazon.ca/Synology-Disk...ps%2C906&sr=8-2

Or an nvidia shield pro. Any differences in quality?

Use case is just sharing media, backing up a couple of laptops/PCs, and running Plex.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

NZAmoeba posted:

Asking for a friend, what's a solid home NAS these days?

He's trying to decide between a 2 bay Synology like this one: https://www.amazon.ca/Synology-Disk...ps%2C906&sr=8-2

Or an nvidia shield pro. Any differences in quality?

Uuuuuhhh well yes there are some major differences in quality. Like for example all of qualities that can be used to judge their relative merits?

If you want a NAS for storing and serving files on a network, I would buy a NAS. I would not buy a shield pro, which is definitely not a NAS. On the other hand I would not buy a NAS if I wanted to play videos on a TV, because they have no video output.

And if you want a pumpkin pie I would not buy either one, because they aren't tasty and are incompatible with whipped cream topping.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

That would be really cool if there was a plex-like emulator that could use network storage to beam it anywhere tho

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
Yeah I'm going to reconfirm what my friend meant, I just assumed nvidia had some home nas thing for some reason.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
Ok apparantly you can actually attach storage to the Shield to make it kind of a NAS?

Either way, he's thinking a proper NAS is what he wants, Synology is alright?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

NZAmoeba posted:

Ok apparantly you can actually attach storage to the Shield to make it kind of a NAS?

synology is fine based on this https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/shield/support/shield-tv/connecting-storage-to-your-shield/

i think we were thinking it would be for gaming, but it looks like it's for movies and music

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

NZAmoeba posted:

That's true, but I don't think it can run other software in the background like a real NAS can, and I see a lot of people complaining about issues with it's performance over on the Nvidia Shield subreddit.

The Synology would be better.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

NZAmoeba posted:

Googling for "use nvidia shield as nas" it looks like other people have had this idea, so I guess he's not totally crazy. But it seems like a real bad idea to me, it's technically "networked storage" but it doesn't have any real NAS management or integrity features.

NZAmoeba posted:

Since your friend has plex as a main use, he should look at higher-end 220+ instead of the 220j.

The 220+ has an Intel CPU that can do hardware video transcoding in the plex server, which is what you need if you for example have H265 videos on the server and are streaming to something that only decodes H264. (And also you pay for Plex Pass.)

The 220j has a less-powerful ARM CPU that can't do hardware transcoding, and isn't as snappy as a server. So as a plex server it does work but isn't the best experience. The j models are better suited for people who just need plain storage.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Get him in the ml30 gang.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

This is the NAS thread so we all go overboard here, but really if *all* your friend wants to do is stream media via Plex I think a Shield Pro w/ an external USB drive hooked up is a great idea. If they want to do more NAS type stuff, then you need to look to other options.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I run an Unraid NAS put together from the cheapest case money could buy, a pair of 8tb HDDs I bought and shucked and like 2-3 other old 2-4tb storage drives and a 512gb SSD. I put all that together with an old 400w PSU and a 2012 i3 CPU from my old gaming rig and the 16gb of RAM it had.

That runs the NAS and a bunch of dockers for torrents, usenet stuff, Radarr/Sonarr etc. Then I bought one of the cheap HP SP01 boxes for like $150 and have plex media server running on that alone on Ubuntu server and it just mounts the NAS as media storage.

This let me build a very cheap NAS and a very cheap / low powered but more modern Intel CPU for the plex server that can handle a lot of transcodes without redoing my entire NAS.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Yea as someone who has built computers before, but never tinkered with unraid or Linux, I would gladly do this project over again instead of Synology.

However, for those needing kid gloves, that’s the way to go. But didn’t synology stop including a video card in their top end modes? So strange !

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
The Synology experience is incredibly far from a kid gloves experience, and you have to go third party for any support or information anyway. And you WILL need it, much of configuration is extremely counterintuitive. I think the form factor is about the only reason to consider Synology. It's certainly the only reason I haven't got rid of mine.

Flyndre
Sep 6, 2009
I'm really quite happy with my Synology. I wouldn't say they're hard to set up, but it seems like there are some pitfalls with weird non default settings that you probably want to change. And some can't be changed after you've set it up which sucks. I followed one of spacerex's video guides on Youtube when I set up mine which made the whole thing painless

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
I've just put together the following:

Ryzen 3700X with stock cooler (Wraith Prism)
ASRock X570 Taichi
2x Kingston KSM32ES8/16HC - ECC unbuffered, 16GB, 3200MHz, single rank.
Sapphire Radeon RX 460 (lowest idle power of any GPU I have, anything would work)
Silicon Power 1TB NVMe SSD

Once I get finished with a 4x memtest pass, I think I'm going to try putting TrueNAS Core on this. I still need to figure out if I want to get hard drives soon or wait but it will eventually replace my current NAS, an LGA1156 Supermicro board + Xeon L3426 running a 6x10TB RAIDZ2 on Rocky Linux. It still works great but I'd like to improve the performance and I/O so that I can try using this system to virtualize more of what I'm doing on others.

After installing Rocky on the new system just to check things out, I was surprised to learn that it's actually just fine without any kind of GPU. You of course need to already have the OS and networking set up, but as far as I can tell bootup and SSH access work normally if you pull the GPU afterward. It's been a while since I tried this and my main desktop's X470 Taichi can probably do it too, but my recollection from several years ago was that consumer motherboards usually refuse to boot without a graphics adapter and I'm wondering when that changed.

Anyway, I'm hoping this will hit a sweet spot between my previous budget solution and paying the $thousands that I'd need for an OEM box with the same capabilities. Even though Alder and Raptor Lake consumer chips now support ECC, W680 boards still have a $200+ premium and I can only imagine what ECC UDIMMs cost for DDR5.

e: After some further reading, TrueNAS Scale is probably better than Core for a Ryzen system - especially if I want to use VMs.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Feb 8, 2023

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Weird, I could have sworn there were just several pages ITT about replacing proprietary fan modules and wrong ram and sourcing particular firmware for raid cards that HP won't hand out without a support contract? Must have been my imagination.

Like, don't get me wrong: I've absolutely soldered a replacement fan on a GPU myself rather than deal with bad customer support and month-long RMAs. But I also don't mistake myself for a normal person and think that would be a good experience for most people. DIY is great for those who can, but someone asking for help picking between a NAS and a shield pro probably isn't that.

Captain Apollo posted:

But didn’t synology stop including a video card in their top end modes? So strange !

Yes, some of their models are built around a ryzen-based CPU with no GPU.

The GPU on the intel models is only because that's how they come from intel -- synology themselves don't really care about it. Nothing else besides plex will use the GPU, and plex isn't really a core feature for them. (Also plex doesn't need a GPU to work, just to transcode. You only need transcoding if you have devices that don't support whatever formats your filez are in.)

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Klyith posted:

Weird, I could have sworn there were just several pages ITT about replacing proprietary fan modules and wrong ram and sourcing particular firmware for raid cards that HP won't hand out without a support contract? Must have been my imagination.

Like, don't get me wrong: I've absolutely soldered a replacement fan on a GPU myself rather than deal with bad customer support and month-long RMAs. But I also don't mistake myself for a normal person and think that would be a good experience for most people. DIY is great for those who can, but someone asking for help picking between a NAS and a shield pro probably isn't that.

Yes, some of their models are built around a ryzen-based CPU with no GPU.

The GPU on the intel models is only because that's how they come from intel -- synology themselves don't really care about it. Nothing else besides plex will use the GPU, and plex isn't really a core feature for them. (Also plex doesn't need a GPU to work, just to transcode. You only need transcoding if you have devices that don't support whatever formats your filez are in.)

Don't mistake flexibility with difficulty.

Everything we're doing is optional. My ML30 just worked out of the box. If you don't upgrade the processor then you don't need to install a video card so you don't have to upgrade the RAM, and no additional cooling is needed.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
We should start our own business reselling ml30s as prebuilt NAS’s!

With strippers! And blackjack!

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
a N5105 mini PC with a 4 or 5 bay JBOD would be better than an ML30 in most cases when you can’t get an ML30 for $115

IPMI is real nice on the microservers though, but that can be added to most computers after the fact, just not as cleanly

e:
https://www.amazon.com/Beelink-Processor-N5105-Graphics-Computer/dp/B0B73QB6HK
+
https://www.amazon.com/ORICO-Enclosure-Installtion-Protection-Enterprise/dp/B08D9BWFW3

e.pilot fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Feb 8, 2023

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
They sell straight n5105 and n6005 mobos with 6 sata ports and 2 pcie 3 1x “nvme” ports, as well as 4 2.5 gig Ethernet ports

The nvme slots are limited to 900 mbps because of lack of PCIe lanes.

Edit: link to kingnovy version, topton has it as well, have sourced systems from both successfully before and are larger resellers

US $195.76 35% Off | Pentium N6005 Mini ITX NAS Industrial Motherboard Firewall Routing 4x Intel i226-V LAN 2*M.2 NVMe 6*SATA3.0 2*DDR4 DP1.4 HDMI2.0
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mPlXUOA

freeasinbeer fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Feb 8, 2023

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

K8.0 posted:

The Synology experience is incredibly far from a kid gloves experience, and you have to go third party for any support or information anyway. And you WILL need it, much of configuration is extremely counterintuitive. I think the form factor is about the only reason to consider Synology. It's certainly the only reason I haven't got rid of mine.

I would agree that coming from a Desktop only experience base it took awhile, but it's definitely a shade easier than Unraid or Truenas.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

im a software engineer and i bought a synology because the last goddamn thing i need in my life is a doodad to janitor

granted i dont really janitor anything at work outside of bugs of my own making and like, random maven poo poo, but still!

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

im a software engineer and i bought a synology because the last goddamn thing i need in my life is a doodad to janitor

granted i dont really janitor anything at work outside of bugs of my own making and like, random maven poo poo, but still!

LOL I had an IT friend I was talking to when I was waiting for the ml30 to ship. I asked him what his home NAS setup was like

“Are you loving kidding me I want to own a little data as possible and never manage it, ever.”

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

freeasinbeer posted:

They sell straight n5105 and n6005 mobos with 6 sata ports and 2 pcie 3 1x “nvme” ports, as well as 4 2.5 gig Ethernet ports

The nvme slots are limited to 900 mbps because of lack of PCIe lanes.

Edit: link to kingnovy version, topton has it as well, have sourced systems from both successfully before and are larger resellers

US $195.76 35% Off | Pentium N6005 Mini ITX NAS Industrial Motherboard Firewall Routing 4x Intel i226-V LAN 2*M.2 NVMe 6*SATA3.0 2*DDR4 DP1.4 HDMI2.0
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mPlXUOA

:hmmyes:

Cantide
Jun 13, 2001
Pillbug

Captain Apollo posted:

LOL I had an IT friend I was talking to when I was waiting for the ml30 to ship. I asked him what his home NAS setup was like

“Are you loving kidding me I want to own a little data as possible and never manage it, ever.”

Tbf I don't own most of the data on my NAS

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I'm pretty happy with the balance of "just works" and being able to do what I want on my Synology without too much janitoring.

Cantide posted:

Tbf I don't own most of the data on my NAS

As they say possession is 9/10th of ownership

wibble
May 20, 2001
Meep meep
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/storaxa/fully-customizable-home-cloud-storage-with-remote-access-nas?ref=discovery_recommendations

What do we think of this kickstarter? Seems good for the price and they are already over a million. But maybe its best to wait till its in production and just get one on aliexpress...

The intrest in their project seems to show that there is demand in a proper NAS that can just run normal OS or linux.

nerox
May 20, 2001

wibble posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/storaxa/fully-customizable-home-cloud-storage-with-remote-access-nas?ref=discovery_recommendations

What do we think of this kickstarter? Seems good for the price and they are already over a million. But maybe its best to wait till its in production and just get one on aliexpress...

The intrest in their project seems to show that there is demand in a proper NAS that can just run normal OS or linux.

I don't back kickstarters cause I have been burned many times.

On paper, this is an impressive piece of kit they are selling for $239. They are using an Intel n6005 as the CPU on this thing, which the spec sheet says has a total of 8 pci-e lanes. I don't see how it can support all of the I/O it claims to have.

I also see that processor selling refurbished at $110. I just don't see how this thing is going to get made.

There is an upgrade to swap it to and AMD system they are going to offer as well, wouldn't that mean you have to redesign the whole system. :psyduck:

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Based on the "new models" thing, on the base model they're using a single gen 3 x1 link to run 4 M.2 slots, which seems... not very performant. At a guess, I'd bet that's 1 to the onboard m.2, 2 to one or two of the SATA/USB/networking, and the remaining 4 to whatever kind of a chipset that thing has which control everything left. It'll work but those four SSD slots are practically just a lie given the effective bandwidth is going to be like 200MB/s per drive at best if they're all in use at once. And I definitely don't believe either the 10Gb/s USB or the 4x2.5Gb/s ethernet claims.

Not much of a surprise there's demand for a system that appears to offer these capabilities at this price point given that building that for real would probably require double the cost at least.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

wibble posted:

just looks like an aliexpress X86 SBC with a fancy-ish case, you could easily do the same yourself for more or less the same price and not deal with kickstarter nonsense

there are countless ITX NAS boards out there, as well as cases, take your pic

nerox
May 20, 2001

power crystals posted:

It'll work but those four SSD slots are practically just a lie given the effective bandwidth is going to be like 200MB/s per drive at best if they're all in use at once.

The "suggested" configuration is that the 4 SSD slots are running together in Raid 0 with one of the hard drive slots being used to back them up. So good news, they are all going to run at the same time in Raid 0!

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Four NVMe disks competing over a shared 985Mbps (although it's closer to 900MBps, thanks to the 128/130b encoding) is definitely not going to cause any problems, not at all.

And that's not even the biggest red flag; that, as other people have pointed out, is that they're scapping the motherboard and associated block diagram design for a completely new platform very late in the product phase.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

nerox posted:

There is an upgrade to swap it to and AMD system they are going to offer as well, wouldn't that mean you have to redesign the whole system. :psyduck:

They aren't designing jack and/or poo poo at a system level, that is literally using the same AliExpress motherboard linked further up the page.

I don't disagree with your sentiment on the Kickstarter being sketchy as gently caress, though, since at the prices they're offering you're buying the motherboard and getting everything else for free.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

nerox posted:

The "suggested" configuration is that the 4 SSD slots are running together in Raid 0 with one of the hard drive slots being used to back them up. So good news, they are all going to run at the same time in Raid 0!

Oh my god I hadn't even noticed that. Wouldn't that just cap the effective SSD speed to that of the harddrive (at least once the caches fill)? I guess that's one way to make the single gen 3 link not be the bottleneck...

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

They aren't designing jack and/or poo poo at a system level, that is literally using the same AliExpress motherboard linked further up the page.

I don't disagree with your sentiment on the Kickstarter being sketchy as gently caress, though, since at the prices they're offering you're buying the motherboard and getting everything else for free.
Arguably that's even more of a red flag, given how much those AliExpress boards are deliberately built down to a price.

It's fairly common to find capacitors of such poor quality that the expected lifetime of the product is exactly that of the lowest warranty period and not a day longer.

power crystals posted:

Oh my god I hadn't even noticed that. Wouldn't that just cap the effective SSD speed to that of the harddrive (at least once the caches fill)? I guess that's one way to make the single gen 3 link not be the bottleneck...
As I mentioned in a prior post, you've got four devices sharing the same amount of bandwidth, because the data is being striped across them at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

power crystals posted:

Yeah - it's one thing to RAID a bunch of SSDs and say "we'll back them up to HDD", that's totally normal. Running SSDs and HDDs in an array together so that they're trying to share reads and writes with dramatically different capabilities seems like an obvious mistake, and I assume the idea is only there because it makes the unit seem impressive in a sheer numerical capacity sense.

power crystals posted:

...the remaining 4 to whatever kind of a chipset that thing has which control everything left. It'll work but those four SSD slots are practically just a lie given the effective bandwidth is going to be like 200MB/s per drive at best if they're all in use at once. And I definitely don't believe either the 10Gb/s USB or the 4x2.5Gb/s ethernet claims.

The board diagram and following details of the upgrade boards seem to indicate that the 4xM.2 use an ASM2812 switch chip connected over a U.2 port with a single PCIe 3.0 lane, so yeah that would mean all four of those extra M.2 SSDs are throttled to ~8Gb/s combined.

I'm not sure how much that matters in practice though if you're running it all over 2.5GbE. I probably wouldn't bother with an SSD NAS before having 10GbE end to end personally unless I had some really specific reason to.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Feb 8, 2023