Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Goddamnit, it's going to be hard to resist getting a Seraphon army, those new models are banger after banger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

S.J. posted:

Has anyone here picked up the Soulbound RPG? Was thinking about grabbing it just for setting info.

It's a super nice rpg, and the system is surprisingly clever, with some interesting game mechanic interactions.

Also, Mors, what did you think of Era of the Beasts? Any plan to write a review for F&F?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I plan to, yes! Short form, I think that they did a decent job summarizing the metaplot event but I’ve personally summarized that event so many times that I found a lot of the book superfluous. The plot hooks for each faction were great, tho, and I love the new archetypes.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

The elves with monster bits were very cool character options both in terms of flavor and mechanics. I particularly liked the way you can use a damage multiplier on your harpy javelins to play a skirmisher unlike other versions of that role, and the way the lamia can do a souped up grapple for light battlefield control without sacrificing damage. At first I was disappointed by the way player-usable Scath Touch was implemented, but then I realized that it made you even more of a Jack Garland. It rules!

The playable dragons were also cool, of course.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Astrolith icon has a bit of genestealer vibe.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

GreenMarine posted:

Astrolith icon has a bit of genestealer vibe.

Both are representing some manner of Star God(s).

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

avoraciopoctules posted:

I just bought it based on your post, it opens VERY strong. I went in with no expectations, and I am really interested in how they are giving this setting more thought and nuance than I expected. I can post some quotes and further impressions if you like.

I finished reading Godeater's Son. The first quarter or third was very strong, but I felt there were a lot of the classic warhammer writing decisions I dislike later on. You have a lot of forced melodrama, a lot of people shouting platitudes at each other instead of having real conversations, a lot of cases where things could have gotten really interesting if people talked things out and tried to compromise instead of degenerating into another fight. I felt like the story wasted a fair amount of potential when it aimed to hit tragedy notes, even if I was still reasonably happy with the book when I got to the end.

That said, they did a great job humanizing lots of different Chaos-aligned characters. There is a very likeable blood warrior in this. This book was a lot more interested in politics and logistics than I usually expect from Warhammer stuff, and I only wish it had been more willing to embrace nuance. They did a pretty good job capturing the spectacle and sense of wonder in this high fantasy setting, too. I would be really interested if this author tried to do another AoS story that wasn't focused on the story of some special boy chosen one rising to greatness.

EDIT: As somebody who generally likes reading about fantasy religions, but doesn't enjoy much writing about Warhammer religion, I found a lot to like in how several views of the dark gods were presented. We get something resembling a doctrinal debate between several khornates I quite enjoyed.

avoraciopoctules fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Feb 7, 2023

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

I dig this dudes https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/02/07/the-askurgan-trueblades-are-vampire-ascetics-who-dispatch-foes-with-precision-blows/. Probably need to find someone for khorne half of the box

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Cooked Auto posted:

Pardon the double posting.

Another Seraphon reveal, in this case the new Saurus Astrolith Bearer.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/02/06/let-cosmic-power-flow-through-your-seraphon-with-the-saurus-astrolith-bearers/

This dude looks cool as hell. Fingers crossed new Seraphon Start Collecting box with all the cool new dudes for cheap

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Looking at past releases there's definitely going to be a big box release with all the new units and the army book. Just look at the SotD release at the end of last year for instance.

The Vanguard box won't be out until either the stand alone releases, or a couple of weeks after that.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Man all the Seraphon stuff is so good.

Now I just hope my Skaven boys get some love next - the new stuff like the Nethermaze warband is so fuckin' good but the other 75% of their range looks like boiled dogshit.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Now I just hope my Skaven boys get some love next - the new stuff like the Nethermaze warband is so fuckin' good but the other 75% of their range looks like boiled dogshit.

Clan Eshin and Moulder are in dire need of some new models. The rat ogres are just shameful to see. The old monkey skaven look with Eshin is hard to see alongside the newer sculpts.

Plenty of great third party options mind you, but still.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Crazy Ferret posted:

Clan Eshin and Moulder are in dire need of some new models. The rat ogres are just shameful to see. The old monkey skaven look with Eshin is hard to see alongside the newer sculpts.

Plenty of great third party options mind you, but still.

These rat ogres look totally fine, but GW only sells the ugly ones right now for some reason

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

As soon as new Clan Eshin and Skryre units are released, that would be the start of my new army.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Chainclaw posted:

These rat ogres look totally fine, but GW only sells the ugly ones right now for some reason

Yeah the Isle of Blood sculpts are great but I think they lost the molds.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Not that I don't believe that would happen, but in a practical sense, how the gently caress do you lose an injection mold when the entirety of your production is done in-house? They're hundreds of pounds of steel the size of a manhole cover for even the tiny ones.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I thought the reason they didn't put them out was they mixed the sprues in a way they didn't want to resell them?

Some combination of having a sprue with mixed High Elf and Skaven parts, and/or having the Rat Ogre parts spread over multiple sprues so they wouldn't be able to cleanly sell them without including a bunch of parts to half build other models.

edit: Found images of the sprues, and yeah it's a mess

https://bigorbitgames.co.uk/warhammer-island-of-blood-review/ has all the sprues

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
I don't think they lost the mould. From memory they did an IoB reprint during AoS times (I could be wrong about this). The issue is that GW weren't as good with the design of their sprues back then. All the high elves and skaven are mixed together on the frames so they can't split them out and sell them separately.

e:fb

Big Willy Style fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Feb 7, 2023

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
yeah, splitting those boxes was real awkward

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
I love my Isle of Blood Rat Ogres to death. They are great. I'm also very partial to the clan rat standard that is just some metal plates but I just love standards in general for my rats.

It is genuine shame that you cannot buy those sprues again. Hell, I'd pay the extra tax of having high elves left over that I'd do nothing with.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Obligatory cross-post.

The local AoS pickup night got shitcanned, apparently. I'd kinda like to play this game I dropped all this cash on at some point, y'know?

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Why was it shitcanned? No participants?

In my lgs aos seems to be picking up - like 2 toxic dudes are left playing 40k and rest jumped the ship to try our sigmar

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/02/08/free-age-of-sigmar-warscrolls-for-the-hunters-of-huanchi-and-the-jade-obelisk/

Warscrolls for the Jade Obelisk and Hunters of Huanchi are now available.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Picked up the Skaven battleforce box because holy hell 83 miniatures

At this point I need to downsize a bit, might move along my Nighthaunt force...

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

…new ones? Because they’ve been in the app for a while now, Huanchi are basically Chameleons but better.

E: yeah these have been around for a month or so, I’m very confused why they’re getting a post now.

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Feb 8, 2023

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Probably because they are putting up for sale separate from the big box they decided to rehash it

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Either way, it’s nice to get a new Tzeentch battleline that lives somewhere between Horrors and everything else in terms of stickiness.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
Will I get knocked for leaving out the big guy on the Chaos chariot?

he's just too big for it

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Some folks get weird about WYSIWYG but imo they’re being dumb.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Mors Rattus posted:

Some folks get weird about WYSIWYG but imo they’re being dumb.

I hear tournaments being fastidious about it but honestly, how many tournaments do you go to?

Most everywhere else I've been to don't give a poo poo. Point at your cardboard standees and say they're a specific plastic mini you didn't actually buy. As long as you are consistent and not be like "well actually that plastic mini has this stuff equipped, I know I said otherwise before but" no one will care.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

In my experience nobody cares even a little bit about WYSIWYG in AOS, even in tournaments. It is way less of an issue than in 40k because there are way fewer weapon options to choose from and they always apply to the entire unit.

"Hey these guys have spears"
"yeah ok"

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

My local group was like that until some people started changing rules during games and getting offended when caught. No one cares much in casual games, but in tournaments a copy of your list is required for your opponent to check during the game.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Also you should at least have a way to mark out your command models and the special weapons in your squads just for the sake of avoiding confusion.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Courtesy list and a pack of colorful tiny stickers to give your dudes impromptu hats should be all the what-you-see coverage ever required in any minis tournament. My squad leader is wearing the Great Job Star of Valor, page two, third from the top.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

for these kind of games I just print off their character sheet or whatever and if someone asks I just point to the sheet

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

GreenBuckanneer posted:

for these kind of games I just print off their character sheet or whatever and if someone asks I just point to the sheet

GW doesn't put that info on all warscrolls.

You can optionally equip one of these guys with a drum, this one does show the drum, so you could do that there.

But for this one, there are two optional alternate models: Champion and Standard Bearer. Also the app is broken and it lists one twice.

A printout wouldn't make it clear which one is the Champion, and which one is the Standard Bearer in the unit. Standard Bearer is usually obvious, with a big flag. Champion is less obvious, so I think it's fair to require models like that to be very clearly marked.

I've definitely hosed up and accidentally swapped who my Champion for a unit was mid-game in Age of Sigmar in casual games.

I just looked again, adding a Champion is actually optional, too, weird.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

So in my crusade to clear out some of my older entries in the backlog I've come to one that I've put aside repeatedly in the past.
Namely an mostly assembled dark elf assassin/shadowblade, that someone must've botched the assembly because parts of the foot connecting to the base was missing and it was just held in place by a glob of superglue.
(Last time I ever got assembled models on second hand.)

Still not sure what to do with this one. Might see if I can't find a pillar he can jump out from behind (or make out for that part), or just try to hide the damaged foot as best as possible.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Cooked Auto posted:

So in my crusade to clear out some of my older entries in the backlog I've come to one that I've put aside repeatedly in the past.
Namely an mostly assembled dark elf assassin/shadowblade, that someone must've botched the assembly because parts of the foot connecting to the base was missing and it was just held in place by a glob of superglue.
(Last time I ever got assembled models on second hand.)

Still not sure what to do with this one. Might see if I can't find a pillar he can jump out from behind (or make out for that part), or just try to hide the damaged foot as best as possible.

Maybe stick a bit of sprue in the hollow of the foot where it sticks out somewhat (if I'm seeing this right) and do so with plastic cement, after that fully cures, trim the angle of the sprue to fit well with the spike thing it's standing on, think of the sprue like the internal leg bone of the mini. Attach via plastic cement. Then do some milliput/greenstuff work to sculpt a foot.

edit: now I think I was looking at the wrong foot, either way I'd try something like the above if it were me

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah, that's a suggestion I've gotten elsewhere as well. Don't really trust my sculpting abilities to pull it off, but probably use sprue to give it the proper height and then hide the rest.
Might just pin it, should be able to get at least some depth with a 1mm drill. Otherwise I feel the whole thing is going to tip over because the contact surface is tiny.

Funny enough I was considering chopping it off at the waist to put it on a Dark Rider horse, but if that didn't work I'd be left with a model in two halves I can't use.

Might just buy some XPS foam and build a fancy pillar he can leap out from, unless I'm lucky and can source something suitable from elsewhere.
And maybe find a poor chaos warrior he can attack as well.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Feb 8, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

I'd pin it with a chunk of paperclip or just plastic cement the thing back together. If it's cured properly, it's fused, not just glued, so you'd have to seriously put some torque on it to break it.