Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Dr. Cool Aids posted:

i don't think they've ever featured your posts actually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Silver Falcon posted:

I admit I never thought of doing this either. I suppose you could... I don't find the skirmishes to be that helpful as a source of exp. They scale to your highest level character, so they're not good for keeping low level units caught up. They're more useful for giving you money, for the ones that drop gold, because the game is curiously stingy with money!

Skirmishes are probably the most effective in the middle of the game when you're hot potato'ing a bunch of recently promoted and pre-promoted units to figure out which ones are worth keeping long-term

The one time I did it, I feel like the one to two levels that several of my weaker units gaine definitely made the next chapter easier. A little bit of extra gold and resources/ bond fragments was quite nice as well

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
4 hours until advance wars surprise release, and metroid prime 4 is also done! What a direct!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

KingSlime posted:

Skirmishes are probably the most effective in the middle of the game when you're hot potato'ing a bunch of recently promoted and pre-promoted units to figure out which ones are worth keeping long-term

The one time I did it, I feel like the one to two levels that several of my weaker units gaine definitely made the next chapter easier. A little bit of extra gold and resources/ bond fragments was quite nice as well

Makes sense. I think the comparison to Expert Mode in Xenoblade is apt. The skirmishes are there as an option to tweak difficulty in your favor. If you want the game to be harder, don't do them.

I think your friend who bragged about how easy the game is doesn't get that... or he's playing on Normal.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Wildtortilla posted:

Can anyone speak to the merits of Children of Morta? It looks like something I’d like (I like Diablo, Hades, Isaac, Gungeon, etc). I ask because it’s on sale for an all time low at the moment.

I bothered to look up some of my posts from the previous thread since I talked about Morta a lot.

TLDR: It's good. And I clearly think it's more of Gauntlet Legends game instead of Diablo, since I seem to say that in every post. Here are two:

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I also started Children of Morta and it's great! I love the Bastion-like narration, I love the multiple permanent upgrades you can focus on (character levels/family armor). I love the pixel art, which is super detailed. It reminds me of some of my favorite indie games just like I was hoping it would (Hyper Light Drifter and the upgrade system of the better rogue-lights for example). And it's got local multiplayer! I don't really have anyone to play with, but on the off-chance I get someone to come by, it seems like it'd be pretty easy to let someone jump in. I've been using the archer girl and the game is giving me great Gauntlet Legend vibes. We rented that game so many times, and never managed to beat it mainly because we couldn't figure out where to go at times.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Morta has a story, and that's what I meant by a play-through (it has New Game+). You have 3 dungeons that you access progressively with 3-4 stages per dungeon. Each stage is randomized. You don't know what bonuses you'll pick up or what the level will look like, but you keep any money and experience you get to level up the Bergsons. Between each run you go back to their house, and there's nice little cutscenes that brings a lot of personality to your characters. The combat is a bit mindless, you'll hold down auto-attack and occasionally use a skill with cool-down when necessary, but like I said everyone does things different enough to give you variety. If you play on hard, it may be a bit tough as you may have to play the first stage a few times to level up enough, but your characters leveling up unlocks global perks so you're encouraged to level up everyone, and that ends up with you getting rather strong, if not too strong. I've beaten the game with just about every character. Stages are short between 15-20 minutes and you usually get enough XP and Gold for one upgrade. It's a neat game, and one I would end up listening to podcasts to or talk on the phone, but I'll admit there isn't that much depth to it, though I've sunk a lot of time into it. Unlike the other games you mentioned it definitely intends on you finishing a stage/the game at large. Which is to say it's easy and the randomization of perks are never there to punish you but rather to change up the experience.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Who gives a hoot about Advance Wars? You can get a rom of it running on a toaster or even an Easy Bake Oven

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
I think people are talking about the remake op, no one here is unfamiliar with "GBA roms"

Jigsaw
Aug 14, 2008
40 minutes explaining how Nintendo channeled the ghost of Iwata to negotiate an end to the war in Ukraine so they could finally release Advance Wars (holiday season 2024)

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

Also w/r/t Advance Wars. Flood the level with infantry and light tanks and you win.

I loved them when they came out but the gameplay loop is about as deep as a fart.

(I will buy it, I just don't care if it's on this direct or not.)

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

sponges posted:

Who gives a hoot about Advance Wars? You can get a rom of it running on a toaster or even an Easy Bake Oven

Theyve been working hard to implement supports in the remake and wow, its finally canon that lash and sonja get married!

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
Dear Mario, please announce Kid Icarus Uprising Remastered for the Switch, thanks

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

BigDumper posted:

The price of eggs have tripled in my city this year, companies raising the prices of luxury goods so that they can give cost of living raises to their employees is fine. It sucks for consumers that work for lovely companies that aren’t give them cost of living pay raises, but that’s not Nintendo’s fault.

Nintendo could obviously pay their employees more anyway, they aren't at risk of bankruptcy, the company takes the value the workers generate every year and do whatever they want with it after they underpay the people whose money it is just like any company. Seems like needlessly positive to frame it as us paying 10 extra bucks so the workers who should be paid more and afaik don't get royalties or any recurring payments for continued success of the thing they made and Nintendo gets the money for. The notion that the ten extra bucks will go to paying the workers a little more is not a pill I'm going to swallow.

They're raising the price of games because if they sell games for more money then they will have made more money than selling the same amount for a lower price. Just tacky to insinuate the price hiked is for da workers when they could literally just pay their workers better and deal with "growing" slightly less.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I sincerely hope for some sort of neat NSO announcement.

Put NES Remix on there, or for the love of loving god put Super Mario 35 back. :negative:

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

as someone who's never played advance wars, why isn't it titled advanced wars?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

abelwingnut posted:

as someone who's never played advance wars, why isn't it titled advanced wars?

Game Boy Advance

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

ohhh, i totally forgot that existed. thanks.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
it was because it was on game boy advance. Its been famicom wars etc in Japan before. name stayed the same even after moving to DS though

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Dr. Cool Aids posted:

it was because it was on game boy advance. Its been famicom wars etc in Japan before. name stayed the same even after moving to DS though

Oh yeah, I forgot it was in a series that already existed in Japan. Kinda like Fire Emblem!

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Pikmin 4 pls

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

BigDumper posted:

And then watch their talent leave to work somewhere else lmao

Lol this is such an optimistic view, it'd be really nice if the world worked this way.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Game Boy Advance

it should be called Switch Wars, otherwise what's even the point anymore.

Everything should be prefaced with Switch, the same way everything was Super <name> in the days of the SNES.

For example, Switch 1-2 Switch.

Edit: wiat gently caress

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Super Switch Melee Advance DS Starring Dante from Devil May Cry

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Khanstant posted:

Nintendo could obviously pay their employees more anyway, they aren't at risk of bankruptcy, the company takes the value the workers generate every year and do whatever they want with it after they underpay the people whose money it is just like any company. Seems like needlessly positive to frame it as us paying 10 extra bucks so the workers who should be paid more and afaik don't get royalties or any recurring payments for continued success of the thing they made and Nintendo gets the money for. The notion that the ten extra bucks will go to paying the workers a little more is not a pill I'm going to swallow.

They're raising the price of games because if they sell games for more money then they will have made more money than selling the same amount for a lower price. Just tacky to insinuate the price hiked is for da workers when they could literally just pay their workers better and deal with "growing" slightly less.

It’s not needlessly positive to be happy that workers are getting paid more. Of course a profitable company could just pay more and make less on their bottom line, but they’re also a publicly trade company and the world doesn’t work that way.

It’s obviously not the only reason for the price hike, it’s a 17% price increase and the pay raises are only 10%. They’re clearly also doing this to increase their profits, the article mentions that they are increasing pay at a time when their operating income is down. They’re trying to improve employee happiness and their profit at the same time. Nintendo is a corporation and corporations are not your friends, but it’s not “tacky” to find something positive in a lame situation.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

you are incredibly naive if you think the price hike is related to paying their employees more

e: Like, sure see it as a silver lining. I just think a lot of other people are put off because it feels like the two are not, and should not be related.

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
Step aside Theatrhythm, Samba de Amigo is back.

https://twitter.com/_snoopytech_/status/1623379988379476002?s=20&t=Acp0SMgzjOWhSaPqrITLHQ

https://twitter.com/_snoopytech_/status/1623379994448654336?s=20&t=Acp0SMgzjOWhSaPqrITLHQ

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Oxyclean posted:

you are incredibly naive if you think the price hike is related to paying their employees moree

The nintendo logo is Red. Coincidence?

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

it's good that nintendo is raising prices because they deserve more of your money

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

hey guys I need to get groceries at 4, not sure I'll be back before 5, can you ask Mr Nintendo to delay the direct until I'm back. I really need, like, some cereal and stuff.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
There been any discussion about Labyrinth of Galleria? Love these types of dungeon crawlers and had a lot of fun with the previous game when it came out on Vita.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Morpheus posted:

Lol this is such an optimistic view, it'd be really nice if the world worked this way.

It does work this way though? I’ve increased my salary by switching companies multiple times in my career, it’s very common practice. I’ve been at my current company for a long stretch because they give competitive raises to retain people, not because I think they have my best interests at heart.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I bothered to look up some of my posts from the previous thread since I talked about Morta a lot.

TLDR: It's good. And I clearly think it's more of Gauntlet Legends game instead of Diablo, since I seem to say that in every post. Here are two:

Thanks for digging up those write ups. As usual your takes are very helpful. I’ll think about this.

roomtwofifteen
Jul 18, 2007

Morpheus posted:

hey guys I need to get groceries at 4, not sure I'll be back before 5, can you ask Mr Nintendo to delay the direct until I'm back. I really need, like, some cereal and stuff.

do what that kid at cal state fullerton did but to your grocery store, problem solved

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

If there's a videogame tied to the upcoming movie, Chris Pratt better not be the VA for the game.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Nintendo Direct leaked early.

https://twitter.com/mega64/status/1623413818092314625?s=46&t=ThGhB51LG91bCpiv-NgVRw

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Uniracers owns

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
give me scrunt

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

hatty posted:

Uniracers owns

Would legit be hyped for Uniracers. Never going to happen in a million years, but I would love it.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Can't believe they put Scrunt but not Scrunt 2 on the service, like wtf.

48 Hour Boner
May 26, 2005

I think something's wrong with this thing
Kinda surprised Lester the Unlikely isn't already there tbh.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
About drat time they added Scrunt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1623417781919305728