Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: GhostofJohnMuir)

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

selec posted:

the gyro is way better than it has any right to be, and also lmao of course you haven’t

I don't think they are Kosher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

Fritz the Horse posted:

probably not great to import the same posting from the containment thread that helped get it closed. dadchat thread doesn't need peoples' screeds about the nature of d&d and kvetching about specific posters

Reopen the thread or unban me from here. Absolute nonsense to exile us to CCCC, take that away, and then probe me for posting here while complaining about the type of chatting you exiled us for originally.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

BRJurgis posted:

Yo, I got somethin to say
gently caress the mods, coming straight from USPOL
A shitposter from cool chat central
They took our pastel colors, and our comic sans
Cuz they lack the authority to mod in b-y-o-b
gently caress that poo poo, 'cause we ain't the ones
For a mod motherfucker with a star and buttons
To be probing on and thrown in cat jail
We can go post-for-post in an angry email
Jealous of us cuz of our cool weed thread
Getting mad about what mellow seas said
Closing our thread for a lack of decorum
Makin us post in other sub-forums
You'd rather see me D&D postin
Than me and Lorenzo whining bout discendo
Beat a post timer easily
And when I'm finished, check the colony
To find out the cause of the probation
Rule subsection, violation
I don't know if they cops or what
Getting mad cuz sometimes we go nuts
And on the other hand, when they post they ain't no fun
But don't let it be a c-spam and D&D one
'Cause they'll probe ya, and say you're dumb
Commie mods showing out for the dem one
Jurgis will swarm
On any motherfucker overseeing a forum
Just 'cause I'm from the CCCC
Punk moderators are afraid of me, huh
A bad poster feeling like a grump
And when I'm finished, it's gonna be a helldump
Of mods sweating in D&D
Yo, ... where's projecthalaxy?

:colbert:

Lib and let die posted:

reopen the thread

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Fritz the Horse posted:

probably not great to import the same posting from the containment thread that helped get it closed. dadchat thread doesn't need peoples' screeds about the nature of d&d and kvetching about specific posters

You can't argue here this is the debate forum

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Poor bishyaler. Thought kindly of guns and was forum banned

Cygnids
Dec 14, 2021

Elephant Ambush posted:

Shut up

He's right

*they, but thanks <3

Fritz the Horse posted:

I emphasize with why you'd bring this intensity to the topic based on the creepy/hostile action that was inflicted on you in that thread, but I think calling my post a screed is a bit much. Either a IK'd/moderated resurrection of the CCCC thread or a living D&D feedback thread would be more appropriate place for this to go, but the former goes awry of the rules of CCCC from what I understand (moderating it, I mean) and the intermittent nature of the feedback thread ensures that you only get the most critical feedback from people obsessed enough to hold onto their arguments for months, so I understand the purpose of the status quo and why you want to shut down the conversation without providing an alternative.

Like I implied I feed bad that this disruptively has to go here in this thread, but go ahead and ding me for this conversation; you can assume that my next post will be about the particular chain of arguments/events led to the thread closure if that helps make it more palatable. :)

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Discussion of how trans people should or shouldn’t be thrown under a bus by ostensible liberals has me like

https://twitter.com/quendergeer/status/1623385046596853772?s=46&t=G-lFsaybNbxwMx8H_PsiLA

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Cygnids posted:

*they, but thanks <3

I emphasize with why you'd bring this intensity to the topic based on the creepy/hostile action that was inflicted on you in that thread, but I think calling my post a screed is a bit much. Either a IK'd/moderated resurrection of the CCCC thread or a living D&D feedback thread would be more appropriate place for this to go, but the former goes awry of the rules of CCCC from what I understand (moderating it, I mean) and the intermittent nature of the feedback thread ensures that you only get the most critical feedback from people obsessed enough to hold onto their arguments for months, so I understand the purpose of the status quo and why you want to shut down the conversation without providing an alternative.

Like I implied I feed bad that this disruptively has to go here in this thread, but go ahead and ding me for this conversation; you can assume that my next post will be about the particular chain of arguments/events led to the thread closure if that helps make it more palatable. :)

I wasn't really directing the "screed" bit at your post in particular, more the general tenor of the cccc thread. I would suggest saving your writeup for the feedback thread which is due any time now (I will remind Koos, maybe this weekend). It's not going to accomplish much itt

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Fritz the Horse posted:

I wasn't really directing the "screed" bit at your post in particular, more the general tenor of the cccc thread. I would suggest saving your writeup for the feedback thread which is due any time now (I will remind Koos, maybe this weekend). It's not going to accomplish much itt

Superbowl weekend is this weekend. Probably not a great weekend for a feedback thread - assuming, of course, in good faith that the mods actually want feedback :)

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about believing in magical rainbow gold

It is simply impossible for people to not purchase the game that gives money to the biggest shitlib transphobe in earth, where they get to play as a child soldier fighting a literal race war against the (((bankers))).

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Lib and let die posted:

Superbowl weekend is this weekend. Probably not a great weekend for a feedback thread - assuming, of course, in good faith that the mods actually want feedback :)

oh right. and yes, we do.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

selec posted:

Discussion of how trans people should or shouldn’t be thrown under a bus by ostensible liberals has me like

https://twitter.com/quendergeer/status/1623385046596853772?s=46&t=G-lFsaybNbxwMx8H_PsiLA
hmm… does rule II.B apply in this thread?

I suppose you didn’t specify any particular person except “some liberal, somewhere” so I suppose it technically can’t be a strawman.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
This thread will not be an appropriate replacement because there are already people pearl clutching over the most basic posting.

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

This thread will not be an appropriate replacement because there are already people pearl clutching over the most basic posting.

Or they could just deal with it. As long as people aren't dragging out their goons-list-of-posting-crimes to pick on people about being assaulted or mock their dead loved ones, we'll probably be fine. The echoiest of chambers needs some new sound

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Sinnlos posted:

It is simply impossible for people to not purchase the game that gives money to the biggest shitlib transphobe in earth, where they get to play as a child soldier fighting a literal race war against the (((bankers))).

Didn't she license the Harry Potter name and not actually own the publishing studio? If so, then she already got paid.

I kind of thought Harry Potter peaked like 10 years ago and wasn't as popular anymore + they made a bunch of Harry Potter video games already. Is there a reason this one is getting a lot of attention that the movies and previous games did not? Or is it a Twitter thing?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

This thread is has been a ghost town ever since all of its enemies were destroyed. no one wanted to admit that zoux and volkerball provided the fuel that kept it running

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Didn't she license the Harry Potter name and not actually own the publishing studio? If so, then she already got paid.

I kind of thought Harry Potter peaked like 10 years ago and wasn't as popular anymore + they made a bunch of Harry Potter video games already. Is there a reason this one is getting a lot of attention that the movies and previous games did not? Or is it a Twitter thing?

p sure it was announced to the world right around the time all the stupid 10th anniversary poo poo was being plastered all over garbage tv channels like tnt/tbs/trutv

like the televised harry potter quizbowl

and the televised "10 years after" interview with the main cast

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

this one is not getting anywhere near the attention the movies were getting, but it's getting quite a bit of attention for a video game as the first-ever harry potter game that shows solid game development craftsmanship, and the first "movie-like" game for the franchise in 12 years

Bishyaler posted:

The echoiest of chambers needs some new sound

you might want to redo the value comparison between serene solitude and desolate screeching

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

It's not a replacement, it's an alternative where if you can't fit the vibe or just want to keeping running taints you'll need to find another which were also helpfully listed. Re-opening USPOL is still on the table if a pitch and/or IK steps up, if you miss USPOL focus on that and PM Koos. We all know the vibe of it was trashed and something needed to happen. Mind all the mummies arising from these coffins now that explorers are banging around with torches, of course.

Sinnlos posted:

It's not even a good game lol, a lot of people react very poorly to having treats withheld and doubly so when they feel like they're being forced to do so. It's led to some entertaining meltdowns across the web 2.0 and it's not even technically released yet!

I kinda wonder how it's gonna work on Switch if it isn't paying $70 to stream it from the Cloud ala Control. Maybe whoever did the Doom 2016 and Eternal ports did their magic (har har) again.

Really hoping for a Switch Pro or whatever today but obviously it's not gonna happen until like 2027 and it'll be some mangled new design that abandons the subtle perfection that is the Switch

Lib and let die posted:

anyway, continuing the chatter re: the slow and choreographed collapse of the democrats' fundraising database via gutting by private equity firms from the inside, we had an interesting all-hands Q1 call last week where the companies Deloitte, Wal-Mart, and Frito-Lay were highlighted by ELT as "doers of good". Since it was an open Q&A session, and because I'm a stupid, ballsy motherfucker I publicly pushed back against elevating those companies by pointing out that both Wal-Mart and Deloitte's political PACs routinely max out contributions to Republican congresscritters that would be perfectly happy to see our LGBTQ+ colleagues murdered in the streets and it lead to a very...poignant discussion between myself and the head of our internal comms department that followed up from me asking if the company planned to include Socioeconomic status as a DEI data point for our internal DEI goals.

There was a bit of a back-and-forth for a while and I think I made some good in-roads to open the discussion on "why and how we choose to highlight the customers we do"

One of the interesting bits that came down during the discussion was this bit from the internal comms director:

and I think I did a pretty good job of summing up "the problem" with Corporate Social Responsibility thusly:

As far as distributing the work goes after 10% of NGPVAN staff got laid off...we were told in a meeting this week that our workloads would be increasing with no shadow of a doubt. My own responsibilities have expanded from onboarding/converting net new customers to covering the work of the laid off folks like migrating from older versions of NGPVAN into the current version and we're expected to be completing two migrations from old platforms in any given day.

It's going to be interesting to see how the increased workload plays out while my team engages in rigid work-to-rule guidelines post-layoffs.

Did you get a "thank you for your feedback" however worded or did this all stir up some uncomfortable contradictions in their mind?

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Epic High Five posted:

It's not a replacement, it's an alternative where if you can't fit the vibe or just want to keeping running taints you'll need to find another which were also helpfully listed. Re-opening USPOL is still on the table if a pitch and/or IK steps up, if you miss USPOL focus on that and PM Koos. We all know the vibe of it was trashed and something needed to happen. Mind all the mummies arising from these coffins now that explorers are banging around with torches, of course.

I will once again point out that the timing between "pointing out where d&d's favorite poster has some incredibly disturbing blind spots around transphobia" and the closing of the CCCC thread is incredibly suspect.

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

cinci zoo sniper posted:

you might want to redo the value comparison between serene solitude and desolate screeching

Seems strange that people in the debate forum would set the bar for success at "no more posts because all the debates were settled"

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I'd also like to use this thread to register a formal complaint about the lack of hairstyles in Dark Souls 2 and how even something as easy as re-making Petrus in it was a lesson in settling

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Unpopular Opinion: Except for the dumb idea of not making Estus Flasks a standard thing and using the consumable healing orbs for a large chunk of the early game, Dark Souls 2 is very good and better than 1 in many ways.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Lib and let die posted:

I will once again point out that the timing between "pointing out where d&d's favorite poster has some incredibly disturbing blind spots around transphobia" and the closing of the CCCC thread is incredibly suspect.

those events are unrelated and if you insist on dragging weird grudgeposting into this thread you can just not post in here in the future

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Fritz the Horse posted:

those events are unrelated and if you insist on dragging weird grudgeposting into this thread you can just not post in here in the future

Ok, I'll IK the CCCC thread, then.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Lib and let die posted:

There's also Jeffery genuinely being concerned that us getting mad at each other all the time is bad for the forums and the part where a bunch of posting pals caught bans in a massacre for the ages.

poo poo's getting feisty.

It's good to close threads for a while maybe. But maybe it should reopen with more guidelines if they are needed.

Like we shouldn't talk about the people whoa ren't there quite as much, even though they are terrible, and take more breaks from yelling at each other.

I dunno people are complex!

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Harold Fjord posted:

There's also Jeffery genuinely being concerned that us getting mad at each other all the time is bad for the forums and the part where a bunch of posting pals caught bans in a massacre for the ages.

It's good to close threads for a while maybe. But maybe it should reopen with more guidelines if they are needed.

Like we shouldn't talk about the people whoa ren't there quite as much, even though they are terrible, and take more breaks from yelling at each other.

What's hosed up is that we were using the particular string of posts in question to dissect how internally-well-meaning liberals can advantage the transphobic agenda by urging calm, measured political action and advocacy which is incredibly harmful to those basic human rights, which isn't a conversation likely to actually be tolerated in USCE because it's still gonna fall under "posting about posters"

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Harold Fjord posted:

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Lib and let die posted:

Ok, I'll IK the CCCC thread, then.

Yeah for real. There was nothing wrong with the majority of posting and posters in the CCCC thread. Closing it because moderation is so piss poor seems like punishment toward the posters when the moderation was the issue.

I'll be a loving IK and push the buttons on the bad posts if it allows what was a decent community to continue to exist.

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

Harold Fjord posted:

The intense arguments were the most fun, but YMMV.

People didn't get talked about in a vacuum, there was some really gross opinions about marginalized groups being dropped. Seems like the transphobia should be addressed, not the people upset that transphobia is happening.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Then don't post USCE. Don't read it. I think my absolutely seething hatred of social media is slipping even into SA because I love getting in rows over a table at a pub or when tabling, but when I see it here it's just like, get a life Jesus. Play GOATY wrestling game and broke jobber simulator by world-renowned developer MDickie instead. Nobody has a right to post anywhere and you lose nothing by just not doing so. LALDs NGPVAN thing and the updates are way more important than this DSA forums poo poo and we're talking about them instead, what a waste. Harold Fjord has become the voice of reason, Harold! Bish is inviting a ban and to do what, look at a list of guidelines only to get mad that things are more complicated than that?

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Yeah for real. There was nothing wrong with the majority of posting and posters in the CCCC thread. Closing it because moderation is so piss poor seems like punishment toward the posters when the moderation was the issue.

I'll be a loving IK and push the buttons on the bad posts if it allows what was a decent community to continue to exist.

It had no moderation, that was the whole point, it was up to the posters there to keep it from becoming what every unmoderated online space becomes and we failed.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

By which metrics?

e: what I mean is, some posters are always going to be upset at the very existence of A Thread. There was a poster who, by the mods own retelling, spent their days maxing out their own limit on using the report button trying to get USPol closed.

Most recently a poster who has by their own admission spent countless hours PMing mods about their own personal grievances with their "abusers" trying to get multiple threads shut down (and successfully lobbied to have "remembering a thing I posted then edited out much later" turned into a bannable doxx by the mods) came up because of the transphobia-enabling blind spots that exist in their worldview and there's absolutely no way any mod can tell me with a straight face that the poster wasn't in modmail over it.

We know CCCC has been the target of outside efforts to have it shut down - what made this time different?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Lib and let die fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Feb 8, 2023

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I'll be stepping down or possibly back at the end of the month to organize some IRL political stuff that is finally getting spun back up after COVID cut the throat of so much that was good in this nation and its people, maybe I'm just becoming less and less invested in this stuff every day and I'm the crazy one. Maybe my depression is finally coming for all the final bits of myself I've kept insulated from it.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

https://twitter.com/justinbaragona/status/1623359127396179968

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Lib and let die posted:

By which metrics?

The one where if you try to post in there, you get a message saying you can't now. You wanna IK it right, so you tell me why it got closed.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

I also volunteer to IK the USPol thread. I check it frequently (as if my post count didn't give that away) unless I'm on vacation or something, and even then.

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

Epic High Five posted:

Then don't post USCE. Don't read it. I think my absolutely seething hatred of social media is slipping even into SA because I love getting in rows over a table at a pub or when tabling, but when I see it here it's just like, get a life Jesus. Play GOATY wrestling game and broke jobber simulator by world-renowned developer MDickie instead. Nobody has a right to post anywhere and you lose nothing by just not doing so. LALDs NGPVAN thing and the updates are way more important than this DSA forums poo poo and we're talking about them instead, what a waste. Harold Fjord has become the voice of reason, Harold! Bish is inviting a ban and to do what, look at a list of guidelines only to get mad that things are more complicated than that?

It had no moderation, that was the whole point, it was up to the posters there to keep it from becoming what every unmoderated online space becomes and we failed.

I'm inviting a ban because I think the rules have become more about protecting and reinforcing a certain ideology than about minimizing harassment? Like, we were just discussing how we can't have a stylesheet because nobody would vote for it, but who voted for the wizard's scroll of debate rules

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
I'm using the bathroom at work so I don't have time, but "purp an yellow purple an yellow" is right there.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Epic High Five posted:

Honestly it was a lack of moderation on other spaces that led to the majority of issues. Posters that were not regular would jump in and cause issues but it was handled.

Some people want to have a contentious conversation space where they can say something uncouth without provoking a six to twenty four hour forced break. And no cspam is not an equivalent.

We already knew that unmoderated spaces fail, but we never asked to be unmoderated, just moderated with a light hand and not the stifling way the d&d has become.

USpol was always a contentious hilarious place and the current culture has completely destroyed it.

Heck Yes! Loam! fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Feb 8, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
uspol always sucked and i don't want its fail ghost haunting this thread