Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

loquacius posted:

Thanks to this random Twitter user for embedding this article in a tweet so I could post it

https://twitter.com/sun_collins/status/1623087128249872386?t=OKv9JtEvRi9VpE-OStRDTg&s=19

lol gently caress off Kyrie

quote:

I did it because I care about my family and I have Jewish members of my family who care for me deeply.
oh my god does he mean black israelites?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unFpcaPme1I

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

I'm trying to win the World Cup
but I'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps playing Argentina onside

:punto:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

mvp material right here? have we found the perfect basketball player?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UGRsBI5EeI

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Minnesota will beat Denver in the playoffs.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

a new study bible! posted:

which year?

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

lol that kyrie left and the next guard up on the nets dropped forty

like when cristiano ronaldo didn't start that one world cup game for portugal and the next guy up scored a hat trick

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

https://twitter.com/davideastUK/status/1623238568591380481

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

lol the Lakers knew the score when they signed him and they did get another ring out of it. it's not exactly a secret that LeBron is gonna sign wherever he thinks gives him the best chance of winning a ring and lmao if anyone in LA thought they'd bought some loyalty with what they've done

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

the Westbrook deal doomed them terribly. it was all salvageable except for that

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Yossarian-22 posted:

in hindsight i was pretty dumb for predicting the wolves to be a 5-6 seed too but i feel like choosing violence today

It was a bad game but they're 13-7 since the new year and most of that is without KAT. Health is a big question but they've been slowly clawing their way out of the hole they dug early in the season.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I wouldn’t be surprised at any playoff result in the west. why couldn’t the wolves beat anyone

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

I said at the start of the year that it was going to take them the first quarter or even half the season to figure things out and I'm standing by that. It isn't their year, they still need to work out a lot of things, but they're definitely a prime candidate for either surging into a higher playoff spot late, or knocking off a high seed because they're a low seed because of their bad start to the season.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

also Becuase the west is full of bad teams (not Good Teams )

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

The amount of parity is interesting, I expected a lot more teams would outright tank for Wembanyama

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Granted that's probably gonna start after the deadline tomorrow

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

there is parity in performance yes but also just by definition the teams are not Good Teams as they lack necessary components

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

a new study bible! posted:

i agree but play-in orlando is going to beat Philly in the playoffs if they don't get a backup for Embiid

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Azathoth posted:

The amount of parity is interesting, I expected a lot more teams would outright tank for Wembanyama

i wouldn't want to try to out tank the rockets

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Dreylad posted:

i wouldn't want to try to out tank the rockets

some of these plays are pretty funny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fL4u5rtvkvI

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

euphronius posted:

I wouldn’t be surprised at any playoff result in the west. why couldn’t the wolves beat anyone

because the Nuggets are significantly better than other teams in the West

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

in the playoffs ? doubtful

we will see

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

like would it be surprising if the warriors beat the nuggets 4-0 in a matchup this spring ?

of course not

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

euphronius posted:

in the playoffs ? doubtful

we will see

the nuggets are a significantly better playoff team than regular season

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

hmmm. what is your evidence for that

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

am I misremembering or wasn't there a time Shaq wasn't sleep talking through every segment. so often anymore he sounds like they just rolled him out of the bed he naps in during commercials

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I have never been able to understand shaq

my right ear may be going deaf tho

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

euphronius posted:

hmmm. what is your evidence for that

Fair question. I'll put some effort into this.

1. Jokic in the playoffs

Year after year, Jokic performs better in the playoffs than he did in the regular season. Let's start by looking at some basic stats, such as comparing his true shooting from the regular season to the playoffs:

True Shooting
Year __ RS_____ Playoffs
2018-19 .589 -> .596
2019-20 .605 -> .614
2020-21 .647 -> .591
2021-22 .661 -> .643
2022-23 .706 -> ???

Doesn't look too great, right? What's going on? In the first two years, he's more efficient per shot in the playoffs, then the last two years it's gotten worse. Let's look at the usage per year for more context:

Usage %
Year __ RS______ Playoffs
2018-19 27.4% -> 26.5%
2019-20 26.6% -> 28.9%
2020-21 29.6% -> 34.8%
2021-22 31.9% -> 36.8%
2022-23 27.2% -> ???

So to summarize:

2019: usage goes down slightly, efficiency goes up slightly.
2020: usage goes up noticeably, efficiency goes up slightly.
2021: usage goes up past 2017 James Harden, efficiency goes down.
2022: usage goes up past 2021 Luka Doncic (who led the league in usage), efficiency goes down slightly.

This relationship between higher usage and lower efficiency is expected, especially in the playoffs; defenses are tighter, and stars are expected to take (and make) nearly impossible shots with the game on the line. What's notable, though, is even when Jokic is forced into staggeringly high usage rates, his efficiency is still great. At his efficiency nadir in 2021, with a .591 true shooting, he's slightly more efficient than Steph Curry's 2018 playoff run (.590), when the Warriors 4-0'd the Cavs.

Moving away from pure stats and into Eye Test/I've Watched The Games, what's going on is that when Jokic is serious about the team needing a bucket, he stops clowning around and demands the ball, either in the post or in Jokic-Murray two-man game. It's why the Nuggets are an elite team (including on defense) in the clutch this year. In the playoffs, Jokic takes over more possessions; fewer are spent on bullshit like Aaron Gordon or Jeff Green isos.

"Okay," you might say, "all you've proved is he uses the ball more in the playoffs, but in two of those years he got less efficient. Justify that if you're saying he's better in the playoffs."

He didn't have Jamal Murray those two years.

2. Jamal Murray in the playoffs

I probably don't need to elaborate on this one too much, but let's look at true shooting and usage comparisons again.

True Shooting
Year __ RS_____ Playoffs
2018-19 .538 -> .534
2019-20 .559 -> .626
2020-21 .592 -> injury
2021-22 .... -> ....
2022-23 .575 -> ???

Usage %
Year __ RS_____ Playoffs
2018-19 24.9 -> 26.4
2019-20 25.2 -> 27.6
2020-21 24.8 -> injury
2021-22 .... -> ....
2022-23 26.2 -> ???

So, before his injury, he was both taking more shots, and making them at a higher rate, as the years went on. What you'd hope for from a guy who's now 25. Those 2022-23 stats don't look good overall, but watching him, he was awful to start the year, and he's steadily been getting better. Usually I don't put too much credence into "last N games" kinda stuff because it can just be cherry-picking streaks of data, but it makes sense for a guy recovering from an injury and a year and a half off the court. Last 15 games (as far back as the nba.com stats table lets me search), he's at .625 true shooting on 27.6% usage. Elite. This is also, as you can see from the table above, .001 lower than his bubble efficiency at exactly the same usage. (I actually didn't know this before I started researching this post. Cool stat.)

With this info, the question becomes not, "can Jamal Murray get back to where he was in the bubble," but "now that Jamal Murray is playing as well as he was in the bubble during the regular season, where can he go from here?"

3. Starting lineup

I learned a hard lesson from the 2013 Denver Nuggets. They won 57 games, and I truly believed that a team that shared the ball rather than having a superstar, with a deep bench, could compete in the playoffs. This is, of course, total bullshit.

Teams need a superstar to make playoff runs. This isn't just for sports talk radio-esque "They Need A Guy" reasons, but for the logical reason that when the games matter most, you play your best guys as much as you can. Rotations get shortened from ten to twelve to eight or nine. Superstars go from 32-35 minutes a game to 36-44 minutes a game. So, instead of looking at teams overall, let's narrow that down to just 5-man lineups. To avoid small sample size bullshit, let's set minutes played to 300 or more this season. The best five lineups in the league by net rating:

You see two contenders (Philly and Denver), two teams that have great starting lineups and horrible benches (Golden State and, surprisingly, Atlanta) and... Denver again. Because MPJ missed enough time that they slotted Bruce Brown over him, and still played good basketball.

Okay, but playoffs aren't all about just playing exactly five guys. That's probably not even the majority of the game. Let's look at core units of three guys instead, because you're gonna move a couple good bench pieces in, right? And let's up the threshold to 500 minutes, because 3-man units will play together more than 5-man ones.

Well then.

4. Home court advantage

As euph loves to point out, Denver (and Utah) have natural advantages playing on homecourt: the altitude. While I'm a personal believer in the "ref bias" hypothesis to explain most of home court advantage, there's been enough evidence that Denver and Utah's altitude really do make a difference. The Nuggets have a +12 net rating at home this season (by far the best in the league), while their away net rating is -4.5, 23rd in the league. I'd add the caveat that this includes a couple scheduled losses on back-to-backs where the Nuggets rested four starters and lost each game by 30, but it's still pretty fuckin bad.

How has this affected them in the playoffs in the Jokic era?

2019:
Win vs Spurs in 7 with HCA
Loss vs Blazers in 7 with HCA (heartbreaking loss at home, up double digits in the 4th, CJ went nuclear)

2020:
Bubble- no playoff games in Denver

2021:
Win vs Blazers in 6 with HCA
Loss vs Suns in 4 without HCA

2022:
Loss vs Warriors in 5 without HCA

So they haven't had a loss in a series with HCA since 2019, when they were a vastly different team: only Murray and Jokic remain, both of whom are far better now than they were.

Being the one seed is a huuuuuge advantage in the playoffs for Denver. A game seven in the Finals, if the playoffs follow chalk and they play Boston, really could come down to whether Denver gets the overall best record.

5. Defense

While their offense is the best in NBA history, their defense is 14th in the NBA. Average. But let's go deeper. (Note: here I'll use nba.com's stats, because they're easier to sift through for splits and the like; the numbers don't quite match up with basketball-reference. For example, b-r has their offense/defense ratings at 118.4 and 114.0, while nba.com has 117.8 and 113.3. Doesn't affect their rankings against others, but could be confusing if compared from one site to another.)

Now, this could be bullshit, but Denver's defense has recovered from a truly disastrous start to the season. Their defense was 26th in the month of October, 19th in November, but over the last 15 games, is 9th.

A lot of this is, I'm sure, due to the above home/away splits. On the road their defense is 25th, at home it's 6th.

I think the real reason is a hybrid of two: they're better at home, but they've also genuinely improved as the season went on defensively.

But there's something else to dive into: the C L U T C H. I mentioned this briefly above, but Denver is shockingly good in the clutch. Like, really really good. Their defense is the best in the league in the clutch.

If you haven't watched them, this seems impossible. They have Jokic!! He big slow!! But if you watch these clutch possessions, a few things are clear:
  • Jokic defends differently. In the earlier parts of the game, his main objective is to disrupt PNR but foul as absolutely little as possible. With the game on the line, he contests rim attempts much more aggressively. Which is helpful, because...
  • Refs call the game differently. They're going to let Jokic get "blocks" that, yeah, those are probably fouls.
  • The Nuggets have their best defenders on the court. Those starting lineup (and 3-man unit) stats showed that they're actually pretty good defensively.
  • Everyone just cares a lot more. There's a lot of possessions where the Nuggets (even their best units) are up 15 in the first quarter and just get lazy. It's one of their worst attributes as a team.

~conclusion~

They have a star player who's better in the playoffs, a player who's becoming a star, role players who complement those stars, the best offense in history, defense that's the best in the league when it matters most, and a possibly slightly unfair advantage in that they play in Denver, relevant when they're a top seed. Which they are, and never have been before.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

this is a really good post. thanks

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

I try not to read too much into rumors but apparently the Wolves have registered interest in Fred VanVleet and I desperately want that to happen. I want a starting 5 of VanVleet, Anthony Edwards, Jaden McDaniels, KAT, and Gobert.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

quote:

While their offense is the best in NBA history, their defense is 14th in the NBA. Average.

You can slice and dice the numbers a bunch of ways, but this is their big issue. Defense is more important in the playoffs because everyone is going at 110% and the true contenders almost always field elite defensive units. It's not clear to me if a team can make it through the NBA playoffs without top-end defensive talent. You also have to play elite defense the entire game, not just in the clutch, otherwise the game could be effectively decided by halftime.

So personally I'm a bit skeptical of the postseason Nuggets since their roster doesn't read as a complete, two-way team to me.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Vox Nihili posted:

You can slice and dice the numbers a bunch of ways, but this is their big issue. Defense is more important in the playoffs because everyone is going at 110% and the true contenders almost always field elite defensive units. It's not clear to me if a team can make it through the NBA playoffs without top-end defensive talent. You also have to play elite defense the entire game, not just in the clutch, otherwise the game could be effectively decided by halftime.

So personally I'm a bit skeptical of the postseason Nuggets since their roster doesn't read as a complete, two-way team to me.
I'd argue that KCP and Aaron Gordon are top-end defensive talent. MPJ isn't the defensive liability he used to be years ago (and has actually had a number of nice defensive plays lately), Jamal is fine, and they have Bruce Brown and rookie Christian Braun off the bench. Part of the reason I think their recent defensive improvement isn't bullshit is that it partly involves replacing Bones Hyland, one of the worst defenders in the National Basketball Association, with Christian Braun.

https://videos.nba.com/nba/pbp/media/2023/02/07/0022200820/455/355e0114-222e-39bd-cac1-7c1442d7bd28_1280x720.mp4

https://videos.nba.com/nba/pbp/media/2023/02/05/0022200806/295/25b45cc6-ca4f-0a75-69d1-a51b26b5323b_1280x720.mp4

https://videos.nba.com/nba/pbp/media/2023/02/04/0022200801/121/9e4ed681-1b99-e68e-0134-84cceb59658f_1280x720.mp4

https://videos.nba.com/nba/pbp/media/2023/02/02/0022200783/488/502a94a0-a5ff-ed8d-c6fb-a0db6de84a0b_1280x720.mp4

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Some of those guys are decent defensive roleplayers, but none of them are elite defensive stoppers. The Nuggets just don't have that kind of guy on their roster.

Adding Bruce Brown probably helped a bit, but ultimately their defensive talent is a collection of average-to-good defenders. There is no one there to stop a LeBron or a Giannis or a KD. No RWIII or Draymond or Kawhi or Bam or JJJ type stopper. Aaron Gordon has the athleticism but he's never shown even a flash of being that guy.

Maybe it won't matter and they'll just score a billion points in the playoffs, but it definitely looks like a weakness to me.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Vox Nihili posted:

Some of those guys are decent defensive roleplayers, but none of them are elite defensive stoppers. The Nuggets just don't have that kind of guy on their roster.

Adding Bruce Brown probably helped a bit, but ultimately their defensive talent is a collection of average-to-good defenders. There is no one there to stop a LeBron or a Giannis or a KD. No RWIII or Draymond or Kawhi or Bam or JJJ type stopper. Aaron Gordon has the athleticism but he's never shown even a flash of being that guy.

Maybe it won't matter and they'll just score a billion points in the playoffs, but it definitely looks like a weakness to me.

you’re underrating KCP. I didn’t know how good he was before this year either. one of the best screen navigators in the league, I’ve never seen someone draw as many screening fouls.

Giannis and KD are in the east, LeBron isn’t making the playoffs. they found ways to stop Kawhi and PG with wayyyyy worse players than they have now. I’m not going to pretend AG and KCP will STOP Luka, but they can hold him and kyrie to being worse than jokic and Jamal.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

with AD back I figured the Lakers might put together a decent run but I haven't been following that closely, are they that dead?

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

indigi posted:

with AD back I figured the Lakers might put together a decent run but I haven't been following that closely, are they that dead?

apparently they’re trading for DLo lol

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

indigi posted:

Last night LeBron broke the lifetime regular-season scoring record

in a loss

to the Oklahoma City Thunder

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

kingcobweb posted:

you’re underrating KCP. I didn’t know how good he was before this year either. one of the best screen navigators in the league, I’ve never seen someone draw as many screening fouls.

Giannis and KD are in the east, LeBron isn’t making the playoffs. they found ways to stop Kawhi and PG with wayyyyy worse players than they have now. I’m not going to pretend AG and KCP will STOP Luka, but they can hold him and kyrie to being worse than jokic and Jamal.

To be clear, I am not even bothering to rate KCP at all. He does not rate. He is not a notable player.

Maybe he's quietly having a standout year or something, I haven't noticed.

Vox Nihili fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Feb 8, 2023

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

kingcobweb posted:

Fair question. I'll put some effort into this.

1. Jokic in the playoffs

Year after year, Jokic performs better in the playoffs than he did in the regular season. Let's start by looking at some basic stats, such as comparing his true shooting from the regular season to the playoffs:

True Shooting
Year __ RS_____ Playoffs
2018-19 .589 -> .596
2019-20 .605 -> .614
2020-21 .647 -> .591
2021-22 .661 -> .643
2022-23 .706 -> ???

Doesn't look too great, right? What's going on? In the first two years, he's more efficient per shot in the playoffs, then the last two years it's gotten worse. Let's look at the usage per year for more context:

Usage %
Year __ RS______ Playoffs
2018-19 27.4% -> 26.5%
2019-20 26.6% -> 28.9%
2020-21 29.6% -> 34.8%
2021-22 31.9% -> 36.8%
2022-23 27.2% -> ???

So to summarize:

2019: usage goes down slightly, efficiency goes up slightly.
2020: usage goes up noticeably, efficiency goes up slightly.
2021: usage goes up past 2017 James Harden, efficiency goes down.
2022: usage goes up past 2021 Luka Doncic (who led the league in usage), efficiency goes down slightly.

This relationship between higher usage and lower efficiency is expected, especially in the playoffs; defenses are tighter, and stars are expected to take (and make) nearly impossible shots with the game on the line. What's notable, though, is even when Jokic is forced into staggeringly high usage rates, his efficiency is still great. At his efficiency nadir in 2021, with a .591 true shooting, he's slightly more efficient than Steph Curry's 2018 playoff run (.590), when the Warriors 4-0'd the Cavs.

Moving away from pure stats and into Eye Test/I've Watched The Games, what's going on is that when Jokic is serious about the team needing a bucket, he stops clowning around and demands the ball, either in the post or in Jokic-Murray two-man game. It's why the Nuggets are an elite team (including on defense) in the clutch this year. In the playoffs, Jokic takes over more possessions; fewer are spent on bullshit like Aaron Gordon or Jeff Green isos.

"Okay," you might say, "all you've proved is he uses the ball more in the playoffs, but in two of those years he got less efficient. Justify that if you're saying he's better in the playoffs."

He didn't have Jamal Murray those two years.

2. Jamal Murray in the playoffs

I probably don't need to elaborate on this one too much, but let's look at true shooting and usage comparisons again.

True Shooting
Year __ RS_____ Playoffs
2018-19 .538 -> .534
2019-20 .559 -> .626
2020-21 .592 -> injury
2021-22 .... -> ....
2022-23 .575 -> ???

Usage %
Year __ RS_____ Playoffs
2018-19 24.9 -> 26.4
2019-20 25.2 -> 27.6
2020-21 24.8 -> injury
2021-22 .... -> ....
2022-23 26.2 -> ???

So, before his injury, he was both taking more shots, and making them at a higher rate, as the years went on. What you'd hope for from a guy who's now 25. Those 2022-23 stats don't look good overall, but watching him, he was awful to start the year, and he's steadily been getting better. Usually I don't put too much credence into "last N games" kinda stuff because it can just be cherry-picking streaks of data, but it makes sense for a guy recovering from an injury and a year and a half off the court. Last 15 games (as far back as the nba.com stats table lets me search), he's at .625 true shooting on 27.6% usage. Elite. This is also, as you can see from the table above, .001 lower than his bubble efficiency at exactly the same usage. (I actually didn't know this before I started researching this post. Cool stat.)

With this info, the question becomes not, "can Jamal Murray get back to where he was in the bubble," but "now that Jamal Murray is playing as well as he was in the bubble during the regular season, where can he go from here?"

3. Starting lineup

I learned a hard lesson from the 2013 Denver Nuggets. They won 57 games, and I truly believed that a team that shared the ball rather than having a superstar, with a deep bench, could compete in the playoffs. This is, of course, total bullshit.

Teams need a superstar to make playoff runs. This isn't just for sports talk radio-esque "They Need A Guy" reasons, but for the logical reason that when the games matter most, you play your best guys as much as you can. Rotations get shortened from ten to twelve to eight or nine. Superstars go from 32-35 minutes a game to 36-44 minutes a game. So, instead of looking at teams overall, let's narrow that down to just 5-man lineups. To avoid small sample size bullshit, let's set minutes played to 300 or more this season. The best five lineups in the league by net rating:

You see two contenders (Philly and Denver), two teams that have great starting lineups and horrible benches (Golden State and, surprisingly, Atlanta) and... Denver again. Because MPJ missed enough time that they slotted Bruce Brown over him, and still played good basketball.

Okay, but playoffs aren't all about just playing exactly five guys. That's probably not even the majority of the game. Let's look at core units of three guys instead, because you're gonna move a couple good bench pieces in, right? And let's up the threshold to 500 minutes, because 3-man units will play together more than 5-man ones.

Well then.

4. Home court advantage

As euph loves to point out, Denver (and Utah) have natural advantages playing on homecourt: the altitude. While I'm a personal believer in the "ref bias" hypothesis to explain most of home court advantage, there's been enough evidence that Denver and Utah's altitude really do make a difference. The Nuggets have a +12 net rating at home this season (by far the best in the league), while their away net rating is -4.5, 23rd in the league. I'd add the caveat that this includes a couple scheduled losses on back-to-backs where the Nuggets rested four starters and lost each game by 30, but it's still pretty fuckin bad.

How has this affected them in the playoffs in the Jokic era?

2019:
Win vs Spurs in 7 with HCA
Loss vs Blazers in 7 with HCA (heartbreaking loss at home, up double digits in the 4th, CJ went nuclear)

2020:
Bubble- no playoff games in Denver

2021:
Win vs Blazers in 6 with HCA
Loss vs Suns in 4 without HCA

2022:
Loss vs Warriors in 5 without HCA

So they haven't had a loss in a series with HCA since 2019, when they were a vastly different team: only Murray and Jokic remain, both of whom are far better now than they were.

Being the one seed is a huuuuuge advantage in the playoffs for Denver. A game seven in the Finals, if the playoffs follow chalk and they play Boston, really could come down to whether Denver gets the overall best record.

5. Defense

While their offense is the best in NBA history, their defense is 14th in the NBA. Average. But let's go deeper. (Note: here I'll use nba.com's stats, because they're easier to sift through for splits and the like; the numbers don't quite match up with basketball-reference. For example, b-r has their offense/defense ratings at 118.4 and 114.0, while nba.com has 117.8 and 113.3. Doesn't affect their rankings against others, but could be confusing if compared from one site to another.)

Now, this could be bullshit, but Denver's defense has recovered from a truly disastrous start to the season. Their defense was 26th in the month of October, 19th in November, but over the last 15 games, is 9th.

A lot of this is, I'm sure, due to the above home/away splits. On the road their defense is 25th, at home it's 6th.

I think the real reason is a hybrid of two: they're better at home, but they've also genuinely improved as the season went on defensively.

But there's something else to dive into: the C L U T C H. I mentioned this briefly above, but Denver is shockingly good in the clutch. Like, really really good. Their defense is the best in the league in the clutch.

If you haven't watched them, this seems impossible. They have Jokic!! He big slow!! But if you watch these clutch possessions, a few things are clear:
  • Jokic defends differently. In the earlier parts of the game, his main objective is to disrupt PNR but foul as absolutely little as possible. With the game on the line, he contests rim attempts much more aggressively. Which is helpful, because...
  • Refs call the game differently. They're going to let Jokic get "blocks" that, yeah, those are probably fouls.
  • The Nuggets have their best defenders on the court. Those starting lineup (and 3-man unit) stats showed that they're actually pretty good defensively.
  • Everyone just cares a lot more. There's a lot of possessions where the Nuggets (even their best units) are up 15 in the first quarter and just get lazy. It's one of their worst attributes as a team.

~conclusion~

They have a star player who's better in the playoffs, a player who's becoming a star, role players who complement those stars, the best offense in history, defense that's the best in the league when it matters most, and a possibly slightly unfair advantage in that they play in Denver, relevant when they're a top seed. Which they are, and never have been before.
2-time MVP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
he’s shooting 46% from three and plays great defense. you should be paying attention to him (if you are invested either way in the nuggets playoff chances)