Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Azuth0667 posted:

Three or so would be good. We have an ancient HPLC that doesn't recognize keyboard input anymore so our work around is a mouse that we can map ctrl and alt + click to.

Is the computer part of this a standard windows OS PC, or some sort of weird dedicated device?

If it's regular winodws, you can use other software to rebind mouse back/forward buttons to alt or whatever key. Autohotkey does this super-easily, "XButton1::LAlt" remaps the back button to left alt. Then you can use whatever generic office mouse with side buttons.

If it's a weird dedicated device, I would not be positive that mice with onboard hardware re-bind will work. The way those do their thing is by presenting themselves to the OS as both a mouse and a keyboard. Worth a shot, but I'd be pretty 50/50 on expectations.

(Also if it's so old that you're using a USB-PS2 adapter for the mouse, it definitely won't work.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I've had the Razer Naga V2 Pro for about an hour and man, I kinda like the mouse, but I will never complain about Logitech's software again. Holy poo poo is Synapse infuriating to use. I guess making a profile and then setting games to it is a valid way to do it, but I don't like it.

As for the feel, I've been using a G602 for like a decade, so it's gonna take a bit of getting used to. I'm a fingertip mouser, so this thing being kinda high in the middle isn't really ideal. The width isn't ideal, either, since it forces me to use my pinky to brace against side button presses. Also the side buttons on the swappable panels are really squishy, which I am not a huge fan of. I'll give it a day or two, but I dunno.

I also can't get it to ignore my RGB controller, which fucks up SignalRGB. I mean, my own fault for getting a Razer controller to try to control my case lights, but jeez, just let me say "don't control this device."

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jan 24, 2023

astral
Apr 26, 2004

With Razer, only buy mice/keyboards/whatever with onboard storage and then uninstall the software once you have it set up the way you like it. That's understandably a bit harder with stuff like a Naga.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

astral posted:

With Razer, only buy mice/keyboards/whatever with onboard storage and then uninstall the software once you have it set up the way you like it. That's understandably a bit harder with stuff like a Naga.

It's just a real pain in the rear end that nobody makes MOBA mice anymore except one side panel of the Naga and the G604. My 602 is still fine and I have some extra replacement switches, I just thought getting something with a fancy new sensor would be nice.

Can just set the side buttons to just be F13-F24 on the various side panels, set it in the games I want to play, and just call it a day? Just seems really dumb to have a 170 dollar mouse that can't just auto-switch profiles like the one I've had for like a decade.

Edit: Screw it, I'm not paying that much money to deal with Synapse. I'll just keep using my 602, maybe I'll shop around another time. I still have to run LGS for my G710+ anyway.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jan 24, 2023

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Echophonic posted:

Can just set the side buttons to just be F13-F24 on the various side panels, set it in the games I want to play, and just call it a day?

At one point I had my capslock key remapped (using windows keyboard mapping) to F13. It wasn't all that useful.

Number one, in quite a few games F13 wasn't recognized as a key by the game settings. Number two, the mouse software may not take F13-24 as valid inputs. LGS didn't anyways.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Klyith posted:

At one point I had my capslock key remapped (using windows keyboard mapping) to F13. It wasn't all that useful.

Number one, in quite a few games F13 wasn't recognized as a key by the game settings. Number two, the mouse software may not take F13-24 as valid inputs. LGS didn't anyways.

Well, good to know, at least. I figured a lot of games would be weird about the second F-row.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Klyith posted:

Number two, the mouse software may not take F13-24 as valid inputs. LGS didn't anyways.
:confused:

I've been using F13 and F14 for a long time since most software (including LGS) doesn't understand the concept of mouse buttons beyond 4/5. Makes for a good PTT button that almost zero games have already mapped to something else.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
I never thought of using F13 and F14...I would love for Windows to provide some kind of application hotkey registry. It's far too easy to remap something in one app and end up breaking another app.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

wolrah posted:

I've been using F13 and F14 for a long time since most software (including LGS) doesn't understand the concept of mouse buttons beyond 4/5. Makes for a good PTT button that almost zero games have already mapped to something else.

It's not really the mouse manufacturers' fault, Microsoft never added more mouse buttons to the standard so they can't map buttons to something that don't exist.

Mapping to F13/14 is pretty good though, were you able to pick them from a drop down or did you have some other way of selecting them? Most keyboards don't go past 12.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

isndl posted:

It's not really the mouse manufacturers' fault, Microsoft never added more mouse buttons to the standard so they can't map buttons to something that don't exist.
I have mouse buttons 6-8 available to map on my QMK-powered keyboard and Apple used to allow assigning "Mission Control" shortcuts to mouse buttons up to 16.

Microsoft may not have default actions mapped on Windows but USB mice can go beyond the limits set by the Intellimouse Explorer.

quote:

Mapping to F13/14 is pretty good though, were you able to pick them from a drop down or did you have some other way of selecting them? Most keyboards don't go past 12.
I thought I did it with a dropdown but that doesn't seem to be the case, looks like I threw F13-F24 on another layer on my keyboard to initially add them.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

astral posted:

The software for these types of multi side button mice is hosed regardless of the company. Its pretty much pick your poison, do you want blue with logi or green with razer

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

wolrah posted:

:confused:

Huh, well I'll be damned! I definitely tried that ages ago, maybe the version of LGS at the time didn't recognize them. Or maybe it didn't like my F13 key made via registry remapping vs your hardware keyboard.

Still have the problem with some software not picking it up as hotkeys, but that's more 50/50.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
The XM2we is very good. The Kailh GO opticals are the only ones other than the V2 Razers that I didn't immediately hate.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Keycrhon just released a wireless mouse, it seems fine for $50 I guess: https://www.keychron.com/products/keychron-m3-wireless-mouse

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

Time to update the thread title:

Should I buy a $279 mouse?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ygm4i41AeBc

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

CBD Corndog posted:

I call that mouse the pube-catcher.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
I can't buy the $280 mouse because my hand is too wide for a viper mini.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I call that mouse the pube-catcher.
My gpro x superlight had left click and the scroll wheel start to fail recently. Around a year after I bought it.

When I opened it up to solder in new switches & a new encoder last night, there was a ton of hair and dead skin in there. Unlike any other mouse I've ever owned. And it doesn't even have holes, just abnormally large gaps between certain parts like the side button & chassis.

I clean my mouse and mousepad once every week or two. I can not imagine how disgusting a mouse with holes in it gets. Especially holes your hand actively rests/moves against.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Feb 3, 2023

mewse
May 2, 2006

I don't buy razer products but found it interesting that the upper housing and buttons are magnesium. A repairable mouse with hotswap sockets for switches and a metal body would be super cool

e: looks like many ROG mice are already shipping with hotswap sockets, neat

mewse fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Feb 3, 2023

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

finalmouse did the magnesium alloy thing a while ago, though the availability of their stuff is terrible so a major manufacturer picking it up is a nice step forwards

now the price just needs to come down to not-stupid levels

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
my Logitech MX ANywhere finally poo poo the bed. it looks like the newer versions have changed the shape of the chassis/buttons pretty significantly so I'm not sure if it's worth replacing.

any other worthwhile small-format bluetooth mice I should check out?

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

CBD Corndog posted:

I would buy a mouse with a similar open case design.

After a year or two with the same mouse, the paint on any mouse will wear off and just look pretty bad especially if it sees daily use.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

most decent mice aren't painted or coated now, they're just a solid colour all the way through the plastic

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Only complaint about my Rival 5 is I wish it had the sorta rubberish feel of my old Sensei Raw. I used that one for 5 years and the finish never did wear off.

I still have my big ol Rival 500 on my desk for use with my secondary PC and I must say when I grab it, I kinda miss its bulkiness compared to the smaller 5.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Is there something akin to a smaller version of a G502? Meaning right handed and extra buttons (preferably 8+). Something on the lighter side would be nice, I don't really care about wired vs wireless.

I've had a G402 Hyperion for years and while it still works great, I'm getting arthritis issues in some fingers on my right hand.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Amazon UK and their EU stores have the Logitech MX Vertical for the lowest price I've ever seen it (£75/€83), also seems to be a similar price in USD.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Anyone well versed in scroll encoders? I currently use kailh metallic/red encoders as replacements and I like them. They're fairly locked in for single scrolls and scroll freely enough while trying to scroll a lot. I'm wondering if there's anything less tactile and faster that doesn't give up durability.

I know Kailh black exists, but it's rated significantly lower durability. Although how that translates to general use I don't know.

Harry Privates
Oct 10, 2007
I currently have had a Logitech 305 Lightspeed for about 4 years now. I am starting to notice to look at an upgraded wireless mouse. Is the Logitech G Pro a worthy upgrade?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Upgrade how? The G305 Lightspeed punches way above its weight, it's easily the value king of wireless mice. Are there better mice? Yes. Are they worth buying if you aren't looking for specific features, form factor, or very slightly lower latency? Probably not.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

The G305 rules, I only upgraded because the middle click and side buttons kept dying even after cleaning them out (I went through 2 in 2 years)

Harry Privates
Oct 10, 2007
I am finding now that it's just a bit too small to be comfortable for long term use when I work from home and then also game with it after. Seems like the Pro is a bit bigger. I play a lot of FPS games so was thinking the lighter weight would help too.

Otherwise open to suggestions on a great wireless option that would be a big upgrade.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Harry Privates posted:

I am finding now that it's just a bit too small to be comfortable for long term use when I work from home and then also game with it after. Seems like the Pro is a bit bigger. I play a lot of FPS games so was thinking the lighter weight would help too.

Otherwise open to suggestions on a great wireless option that would be a big upgrade.

I picked up the Corsair Sabre RGB Pro wireless for $40 on Amazon, it bounces between $40 and $70 so you can get it up for a song if you're vigilant

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
A normal G Pro would get you a size/shape change but not a real performance change. If you want a performance upgrade and are willing to pay for, personally I would prefer the shape, the optical button reliability, and the lower latency and faster poll rate on the Viper V2 Pro over the GPX Superlight, but if you like the G Pro shape maybe you prefer the GPX SL. Also worth noting that Razer's software is marginally shittier than Logitech's. It's like the difference between two incurable degenerative diseases - you're going to be miserable either way, but one is definitely noticeably worse.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Is there a thread suggestion for vertical mice? Something that works with a wrist brace

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Vertical-Wireless-Mouse-Rechargeable/dp/B07FNJB8TT

I see this but it's $86, quite a bit more than I wanted to spend

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Wireless-Vertical-Ergonomic-Optical/dp/B00BIFNTMC

This is more my price point

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

I prefer the MX Vertical, but the Anker is a fine place to start. My biggest gripe was the texture on the Anker. Some kind of rubber coating that just did not sit right with me. I’m not sure how either work while wearing a wrist brace, but it’s got to be an improvement over more traditional mice.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I have the wired Anker and find it hard to click, especially the middle button, without moving it at the same time. Not sure if that's just because it's so light or if that's just more of the inherent nature of a vertical mouse.

The MX Vertical does seem to be the best rated of the mainstream vertical options, and is next on my list to pick up whenever it's on a good sale again.

edit: Well it seems like the price it's at is not far off from the all time low, so I might be ordering one today.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Feb 20, 2023

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I have been using the MX Vertical for about a day now and can already feel the tension on the top side of my wrist starting to fade away. I've been swapping between using a mouse with my left hand as well but that didn't make as much of a difference as the vertical mouse.

A complaint I see about the MX Vertical is the physical size of it, but my hands are massive so it's perfect. I can only really comfortably use large mice which has limited me to the expensive end of the market with the Performance MX and then MX Master because 90% of mice seem to be designed to be small and thrown into laptop bags now. I did regret the cost when I first started using it and didn't get instant results but so far it seems like a good spend.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

nitsuga posted:

I prefer the MX Vertical, but the Anker is a fine place to start. My biggest gripe was the texture on the Anker. Some kind of rubber coating that just did not sit right with me. I’m not sure how either work while wearing a wrist brace, but it’s got to be an improvement over more traditional mice.

I have the Anker and didn't have any real issues. I intend to replace it with a MX Vertical once it breaks but it stubbornly refuses to break. Only thing to keep in mind with vertical mice is calibration. Typically, you want to set it to be less sensitive so you are moving the mouse from the shoulder rather than the wrist with larger movements. Changing settings to be less sensitive may also reduce or solve some of the movement-while-clicking issues that wolrah points out.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

The Kickstarter for the Swiftpoint Z2 mouse is live as of today.

Great if you're down to your last Z like me and don't want to settle for the Tracer. Kickstarter price is pretty good and not much more than the cheapest I was able to ever find a Z at ($125).

They say they've fixed the middle mouse roll which is what I lost my first Z to.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

My G402's scroll wheel got busted today after 3 years and some change, and even after cleaning the inside it is stuck scrolling up and down on its own. It had done that once before about half a year ago and it got fixed with some light toothpick cleaning then, but no such luck now. I figure before ordering a G502 to replace it I should ask if there's another mouse in the same class that's straight up better or less costly for a similar feature suite, or if I'm stupid and missed something that might've worked to fix the 402.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
since Vertical mice are brought up, I've been trying to find if there's any other ones that have three buttons. I've been using the CADmouse for years but I think my arms are finally getting to the point I can't handle that anymore. The only real downside to this situation is there's basically no ambidextrous options besides that awful Posturite Penguin (which broke before I even got it, and is apparently a common issue.) so I'll have to just deal with not being able to swap hands anymore.

what are some other recommendations besides MX and Anker? I've tried Anker and it wasn't great. I often felt like I had to grip it way too hard to keep it in my hand. the TRIXES Ergonomic Optical Mouse looks almost perfect, but I can't find it for sale anywhere at all.
While I'm thinking about it, how do I hold one of these without rubbing the bottom of my hand across the desk constantly? I had that issue each time and could never figure out how to solve it.