Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The best I can say about The Alchemist is that it's short. It's a poor story that can be summarized with the phrase "Follow ur dreams" and nothing more, save your time and read a synopsis so you can get your co worker off your back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Gertrude Perkins posted:

I have encountered a cow orker who to date has recommended I read Paolo Coelho about forty times. I have osmosed mostly bad-to-bland things about his work from people whose tastes align with mine - should I just bite the bullet and read the Alchemist or something?

It’s about as well written as an MBA fable style book but with less useful lessons.

shelley
Nov 8, 2010
I had to read The Alchemist in high school and it sucked the whole time. Do not read it, it’s a waste of time

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

SniperWoreConverse posted:

I mean, it is kinda hosed up that I can't keep the ebook. But the more I think about it the more I'm starting to suspect some of the way things are set up are kinda bs

it's no different from not being able to keep a book from a regular library(i.e. you can do it but it's against the library's rules of borrowing books)

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I could swear there was a line in The Illuminatus! Trilogy like "They say John Dillinger didn't break out of prison, when the time was right, he simply walked through the wall," but I can't find it or my copy of the book. Does anyone know what I'm talking about or have the exact quote and context?

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth

GWBBQ posted:

I could swear there was a line in The Illuminatus! Trilogy like "They say John Dillinger didn't break out of prison, when the time was right, he simply walked through the wall," but I can't find it or my copy of the book. Does anyone know what I'm talking about or have the exact quote and context?

Page 129.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
I don't know where to post thoughts on the book I'm currently reading if it doesn't fit into any of the big threads. Posting in "What did you just finish?" seems dishonest.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

FPyat posted:

I don't know where to post thoughts on the book I'm currently reading if it doesn't fit into any of the big threads. Posting in "What did you just finish?" seems dishonest.

Right here is fine IMO

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
Could someone post a Discord invite? The most recent one in the thread has expired.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Surprise T Rex posted:

Could someone post a Discord invite? The most recent one in the thread has expired.

https://discord.gg/pPAmyQGw

cosmin
Aug 29, 2008
Is there a “Shameful! Books you’ve never read!” Thread similar to the one in Cinema Discusso? I thought there was but I can’t find it.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
That's just https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3643994

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

i've read a good amount of books, but i think i'm only ashamed at not having read don quixote and in the name of the rose yet

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

a possible 2023 resolution

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth

ulvir posted:

i've read a good amount of books, but i think i'm only ashamed at not having read don quixote and in the name of the rose yet

Having read both of those this year, I can confirm that they're both pretty great times!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
We did Rose as Botm a few years ago: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3766791&pagenumber=1&perpage=40&userid=0#post457021305

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

ulvir posted:

Don Quixote was required reading in my final Spanish class in high school, which is as much as a book can possibly have stacked against it, and I still loved it. It's a really good book

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Gertrude Perkins posted:

Having read both of those this year, I can confirm that they're both pretty great times!

WarpDogs posted:

Don Quixote was required reading in my final Spanish class in high school, which is as much as a book can possibly have stacked against it, and I still loved it. It's a really good book

the best part is that I have them both in my shelf, too. no excuse, really

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
I loved don quixote at 15, loved it at 25, loved it at 35, i'm lovin' it

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

ulvir posted:

the best part is that I have them both in my shelf, too. no excuse, really

Umberto Eco would commend this

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

hell yeah

cosmin
Aug 29, 2008
Yea that was the thread! And already added Name of the rose to my shameful list as I loved the movie and Umberto Eco in general

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

My shameful admission: well too numerous to count really. But I will go with: of the Divine Comedy, I have only read Inferno despite having all three

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Bilirubin posted:

My shameful admission: well too numerous to count really. But I will go with: of the Divine Comedy, I have only read Inferno despite having all three

no one has read the other two, not even dante

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

based eco

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
I wish I'd gotten further into David Copperfield.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Book's still there, give it another shot

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

My main problem with Dickens is that most of the editions of his works I have are old (I guess some of them over 100 years old, seeing as how it's the 20s again) and bulky. I finished Great Expectations just fine because it was a Penguin Popular Classic.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
DQ is basically completely modern and would be a better tv show than 90% of the trash that came out

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The Satsuma Complex is really putting me in a mood for a slice of Battenberg.

The main character of the first part keeps eating Battenberg.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Is there a book of classic Aesop fables for adults? Where they don't make things too cutesy and tell you the history and other versions and stuff?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Is there a book of classic Aesop fables for adults? Where they don't make things too cutesy and tell you the history and other versions and stuff?

This looks like it has some of that (look inside has a bunch of pages):
https://global.oup.com/academic/product/aesops-fables-9780199540754
https://www.amazon.com/Aesops-Fables-Oxford-Worlds-Classics/dp/0199540756

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Thinking of finding a place to sell my books other than ebay - is it possible to make sales on Amazon if you're not one of the established resellers?

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
After the previous discussion of Don Quixote I decided to grab the Edith Grossman translation from the library which I hadn't read before

I am thrilled to report that this book still rules. I'm 50 pages in and have genuinely laughed out loud multiple times.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Trying to decide which translation of War and Peace to try is actually more interesting and frustrating that I expected! Do I want the french translated, or in footnotes? Do I care about public domain, or no?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

So, last year I took on the challenge of reading the unabridged Count of Monte Cristo. It was great, I really enjoyed it, and it took six months and could have used some abridgment. It's not the only 19th-century French book I have interest in -- I kinda want to read Les Miserables, too. The thing is, I've heard that Victor Hugo has even more of a tendency to go off on tangents than Dumas, and while apparently Hugo's asides about history and architecture are somewhat more high-concept than Dumas having his protagonist spend an entire chapter convincing a tertiary character to do hashish with him, I'm not really sure I have it in me to do that again.

I can get an unabridged ebook free off Project Gutenberg; the only abridged ebook I've been able to find is on Kindle and so will require me to give up $2.50 to Jeff Beez. My question is, how much would I be giving up by going abridged, and what would I be signing myself up for by going unabridged?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Never read abridged works

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

loquacius posted:

So, last year I took on the challenge of reading the unabridged Count of Monte Cristo. It was great, I really enjoyed it, and it took six months and could have used some abridgment. It's not the only 19th-century French book I have interest in -- I kinda want to read Les Miserables, too. The thing is, I've heard that Victor Hugo has even more of a tendency to go off on tangents than Dumas, and while apparently Hugo's asides about history and architecture are somewhat more high-concept than Dumas having his protagonist spend an entire chapter convincing a tertiary character to do hashish with him, I'm not really sure I have it in me to do that again.

I can get an unabridged ebook free off Project Gutenberg; the only abridged ebook I've been able to find is on Kindle and so will require me to give up $2.50 to Jeff Beez. My question is, how much would I be giving up by going abridged, and what would I be signing myself up for by going unabridged?

There's a big Waterloo essay which is not really all that interesting if you're not interested in battles (most people skip it) with some plot relevant stuff at the very end. That's it in Les Miserable everything else is very readable even the digressions on the culture of nuns or Paris sewers. Don't go abridged.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

Trying to decide which translation of War and Peace to try is actually more interesting and frustrating that I expected! Do I want the french translated, or in footnotes? Do I care about public domain, or no?

A very fraught question. I don't read Russian, so I can only give my perspective as a fan in English. I read Constance Garnett first and loved it. Then pevear and volkhonsky and it was fine. Then Maude. They're all good, but I guess I'd recommend Briggs next? I prefer my French translated, but that is your call. This is a good article on the differences/issues: https://www.lrb.co.uk/the-paper/v30/n10/michael-wood/crabby-prickly-bitter-harsh

There's a pay wall, but I think you get a certain number free. Let me know if you can't access and I can DM you a printout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

PatMarshall posted:

A very fraught question. I don't read Russian, so I can only give my perspective as a fan in English. I read Constance Garnett first and loved it. Then pevear and volkhonsky and it was fine. Then Maude. They're all good, but I guess I'd recommend Briggs next? I prefer my French translated, but that is your call. This is a good article on the differences/issues: https://www.lrb.co.uk/the-paper/v30/n10/michael-wood/crabby-prickly-bitter-harsh

There's a pay wall, but I think you get a certain number free. Let me know if you can't access and I can DM you a printout.

I can access it, thank you!

I ultimately purchased the Briggs translation after comparing first pages and reading about the different ones, and figure I can return to purchase another (or get from gutenberg) later.

There's something truly interesting about reading about translations, speaking of. I only know English but the art of it has drawn me for ages, and I can feel the difference in certain novels - I read a book translated from German once, and it had a different-yet-similar uncanny valley effect while reading, and it was completely different from a Japanese mystery novel I read (damned if I can remember the title or whodunnit, but I remember it was donnit with some kind of speakers or audio trick), and then Dostoyevsky (Crime and Punishment still resonates) and 2666 and onwards.