Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Cao Ni Ma posted:

A picture of the "He fights for freedom" WW2 style propaganda posters but its an ukranian ultra nationalist emblazoned with a bunch of nazi imagery.

Majorian probing anyone that says hes a nazi.

Yeah man I do that all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Ardennes posted:

Yeah, but in the end, even Modi could figure out that going all the way with the US just wasn’t in India’s best interests and preferred to keep the more traditional balance of power in place.

Not only does China not want Russia to be too weak against the US but India and Vietnam don’t want Russia to be too attached to China.

Modi doesn't figure anything out lol. The guy is dumb as poo poo and is letting his bureaucrats run everything; which means that institutional knowledge that was shaped by nehru is running indian foreign policy. Modi did wreck things like indo-iranian relations in his first term.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Cerebral Bore posted:

no it isn't?

sorry, i was thinking of estonia for some reason. the origin of the word "finnic" is unknown

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

slava muttoni

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Tankbuster posted:

Modi doesn't figure anything out lol. The guy is dumb as poo poo and is letting his bureaucrats run everything; which means that institutional knowledge that was shaped by nehru is running indian foreign policy. Modi did wreck things like indo-iranian relations in his first term.

But at least his promise that a India will be a $5 trillion economy by 2025 will come true, right?

*Padme meme*

…right?

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
No we are now mad about soros because they are making fun of our big butifel sindhi capitalist adani.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Cerebral Bore posted:

i was open to alternative explanations, but given this i'm convinced that everything that hersh wrote in 100% true

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

OctaMurk posted:

The hersh story seems 100% believable. But why does russia say the uk did it?

If you remember our discussion at the time, or maybe around the Crimea bridge, it's because the UK was the other major participant in the mine clearing exercise that was cover for this, demonstrating new remotely piloted surface and subsurface vehicles with shaped charges. The surface vehicles washed up in Crimea several times, were used to attack ships at anchor in Sevastopol, and according to leaks, were intended to be used against the Crimea Bridge.

My guess would be that the UK was rehearsing their operations at the same time, during the same exercise. Two prongs of the same strategy.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

mlmp08 posted:

Hersh’s argument that Russia and the US are both lying to cover for the US is an interesting approach. Maybe Russia is colluding with the US to blame the UK. Two countries coming together against the royals.

Probably safe to just blame the UK regardless. Germany is (was? no pipeline now) an economic rival.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Hatebag posted:

If the nukeshitter is going even half light speed it would have to poo poo a nuke with instantaneous velocity of 150,000,000 m/s to get a nuke in its path of travel to a safe distance. Rail guns only do 2500 m/s. Maybe they could have rockets with nukes on em to poo poo out for braking

no! that's not how inertia works. if you're flying around in a plane and take a poo poo you don't have to accelerate your poo poo up to cruising speed first. hopefully. apparently the "realistic" scenarios were like 0.1c doing that. and also the bombs used were on the order of 0.1 kT blowing up far enough away and some shock absorbing system that it wouldn't actually bang the ship up. also they'd just use a solar sail or something.

i think the actual testing they did was with the shock absorber thing and real scaled down non-nuclear explosions.

anyway solar sails and more boring stuff is the smarter money. nuclear pulse stuff is huge dummy bait but still funny

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I seem to remember UK deployed their new submarine configured for underwater sabotage, with the hanger for the SDV (little submersible for sabotage divers) on that exercise as its maiden voyage, first major operational test, or something like that, which I think was remarked on at the time.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Frosted Flake posted:

I seem to remember UK deployed their new submarine configured for underwater sabotage, with the hanger for the SDV (little submersible for sabotage divers) on that exercise as its maiden voyage, first major operational test, or something like that, which I think was remarked on at the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vj6plOoDl_s

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Cuttlefush posted:

no! that's not how inertia works. if you're flying around in a plane and take a poo poo you don't have to accelerate your poo poo up to cruising speed first. hopefully. apparently the "realistic" scenarios were like 0.1c doing that. and also the bombs used were on the order of 0.1 kT blowing up far enough away and some shock absorbing system that it wouldn't actually bang the ship up. also they'd just use a solar sail or something.

i think the actual testing they did was with the shock absorber thing and real scaled down non-nuclear explosions.

anyway solar sails and more boring stuff is the smarter money. nuclear pulse stuff is huge dummy bait but still funny

it's literally gigantic hydraulic springs and a big metal plate. the metal plate just ablates a calculated amount with each bomb, and the springs transfer the inertia into a safe g-force acceleration. bumpy ride

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Cuttlefush posted:

Yeah, i hosed up there. The nuke rectum wouldn't need any more velocity pointed in the path of travel than it would for initial thrust. I guess i just got excited about assholes. If the thing's only going .1c though it would take 44 years to get to alpha centauri which i guess would mean it would need to be a generational ship or unmanned.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
it definitely seems like it shouldnt work. or not fail catastrophically in some way

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Hatebag posted:

Yeah, i hosed up there. The nuke rectum wouldn't need any more velocity pointed in the path of travel than it would for initial thrust. I guess i just got excited about assholes. If the thing's only going .1c though it would take 44 years to get to alpha centauri which i guess would mean it would need to be a generational ship or unmanned.

44 years to reach a new world is nothing, compared to the journeys our ancestors made

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Cuttlefush posted:

it definitely seems like it shouldnt work. or not fail catastrophically in some way

it is kinda ridiculous, but....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8Sv5y6iHUM

it is the brute force approach, and that's why it might actually work

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

44 years to alpha centauri is a long time but a couple of weeks to get to Jupiter would be pretty handy

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I notice people are discussing both interstellar travel and the country India

On this topic, my best friend growing up was this Indian guy. We once got into a big argument because he was convinced that you could travel faster than light by simply continuing to accelerate for a really long time, due to the lack of friction in space. I said no!

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Ytlaya posted:

On this topic, my best friend growing up was this Indian guy. We once got into a big argument because he was convinced that you could travel faster than light by simply continuing to accelerate for a really long time, due to the lack of friction in space. I said no!

chad frictionless ftl indian friend vs virgin causality obeyer ytlaya

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Slavvy posted:

44 years to alpha centauri is a long time but a couple of weeks to get to Jupiter would be pretty handy

That's true. I guess we've only shot 3 probes out of the heliopause so far. No reason not to shoot a concrete disc full of nukes at stuff in the solar system

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Slavvy posted:

i hope they remake alpha centauri in less than 44 years

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
they wouldnt even get close to alpha centauri cause gary buseys son would blow up the entire payload at launch

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Tankbuster posted:

He also pulled India out of the Su-57 which in all honesty was the quickest way for India to get a fifth-generation fighter (with eventually domestic production). I don't think the switch to the Rafale was worth it even it was better than nothing, but India's own project is really far behind.

Maybe they will give a go at the Checkmate.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 21:59 on Feb 8, 2023

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

You can't remake Alpha Centauri, that game was a product of its time and nobody is going to bother making something like that today.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/BloombergUK/status/1623380660072095746?s=20

https://twitter.com/RoyalFamily/status/1623335580074377219?s=20

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Lostconfused posted:

You can't remake Alpha Centauri, that game was a product of its time and nobody is going to bother making something like that today.

they did

and they called it Civilisation Beyond Earth

:vomarine:

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Beyond Earth was more like a sci fi mod for civ 5.

Резидент posted:

Refugees will not be issued summonses. Ukrainian consulates abroad do not have the right to issue summonses to Ukrainian citizens. This was reported by the special representative of the Ukrainian ombudsman in Britain, Yuriy Lysenko.

According to the lawyer, he requested official information on this matter from Ukrainian diplomatic institutions abroad. And he received the following answers:

1️⃣ Consulate is obliged to keep military records of men.

2️⃣ But the diplomatic structures will not issue summonses to those who are registered.

3️⃣ However, they must inform citizens of conscription age when the next conscription for military service begins.

4️⃣ Consulates must also facilitate the return of conscripts to Ukraine during mobilization and martial law.

But there is no legal definition of such "assistance" yet.
(from t.me/rezident_ua/16309, via tgsa)

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
I enjoyed civ beyond earth. It wasnt a remake of alpha centauri, it was its own thing and it was ok

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Any operation to get ukranian refugees into the front line wont be officially directed by ukranian consulates. They will be done with cooperation from the governments by having peoples refugee status be invalidated. Once that happens they'll facilitate the transfer to ukraine to serve out their conscription.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

fanfic insert posted:

they wouldnt even get close to alpha centauri cause gary buseys son would blow up the entire payload at launch

His name is Jake

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

smug jeebus posted:

His name is Jake

The proper way to refer to him is the Buseyspawn actually.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

fanfic insert posted:

lol

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Ytlaya posted:

deva with vajra is superior to puny laws of relativity

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

paul_soccer12 posted:

you suck shut up

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

I could exceed the speed of light. I would simply go faster than it.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

The speed of light is really all about mindset.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

OctaMurk posted:

I could exceed the speed of light. I would simply go faster than it.

Yeah has anyone ever tried that before?

No?

Embarrassing!

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Hatebag posted:

If the nukeshitter is going even half light speed it would have to poo poo a nuke with instantaneous velocity of 150,000,000 m/s to get a nuke in its path of travel to a safe distance. Rail guns only do 2500 m/s. Maybe they could have rockets with nukes on em to poo poo out for braking

This is not the way relative velocity works

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

you are traveling faster than the speed of light from some perspectives