Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Paper Tiger posted:

Now, store-bought Christ is fine, but if you want to be authentic you'll really want to transubstantiate it at home

Downside is it takes 3 days for the dough to rise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Nancy posted:

Should you throw bread at your kids? Or does that mess up their eating habits?

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
If you're using yeast in your communion wafers then you're christing wrong.

I grew up in the United Church and they used grape juice and cubed white bread.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Life would be easier if young children ate like ducks.

https://youtu.be/L_4bsOaK1Vg

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

All this talk of communion makes me think of The 1969 Easter Mass Incident

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Feb 8, 2023

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

teen witch posted:

So there are tons of recipes for communion bread style wafers but not the wafers themselves

E: wow what a thread to accidentally confess to an impending sacrilege. Truly mysterious ways
There are no published official recipes for wafers because the religions that take communion-as-transsubstantiation are afraid of people attempting to consecrate apparently valid matter that is not consecratable*, thus causing people to believe they're taking communion when they aren't. This is also why you can't buy them pre-blessed; churches are (rightly) even more afraid of people desecrating consecrated wafers.

One of the ways cloistered (not allowed to leave the convent/monastery without grave reason) nuns used to raise money was by selling nun-made wafers to churches. I read an ex-nun's comment that they (the wafers, not the nuns) were pressed between two hot plates that were specially made to imprint crosses on. Like a waffle iron, but for God. Use a pizzelle iron and claim that the patterns make them extra-holy.

If you just want to have wafers and don't insist on making them, google "church supply wafers"; the couple of places I looked at didn't require you to show proof that you were a church.

* For instance, it's been ruled by the Roman Catholic church that completely gluten-free wafers can't be consecrated, because they have to have some gluten in them to count as bread. Sucks to be you, celiacs.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for not wanting to explain to a friend why the word she used is a slur?

quote:

I’m (20F) at Uni in the UK. I have a classmate / friend Izzy who is on the same course as me. She was raised up North in a village where everyone is white (although she admits that she went to school and college in the nearby cities so it’s not like she’s never encountered someone from an ethnic minority before.)

I’m from a South Asian background and I’m a practicing Muslim so I wear hijab. We were talking about the politics of the Partition and Izzy asked why I seemed so passionate about the topic so I said “well because that’s where my family is from!”

And then she said “Oh I didn’t realise you were a P*ki I thought you were Arabic!”

There are so many things wrong with that sentence. But well. I have had that same P word weaponised against me and members of my family suffered violence specifically because of our heritage by people using that word.

I couldn’t believe she would use it and I told her “Don’t ever use that slur again!”

She started saying”How is that offensive? That’s not a slur don’t overreact!”

I left the study group and I haven’t directly spoken to her since. She text me to say I’m being ridiculous and how is it even a slur so I told her that if she’s studying Politics she should know how or at least figure out how to look it up.

When I mentioned it to my parents they said that i should have sat and explained the history to her and that I have a responsibility to make sure she doesn’t use it to anyone else

Does not wanting to do that make me the AH?

(EDIT: it is recognised in the UK by the relevant govt authorities as being a slur equally as offensive as the n word and has been for years)

OP had to add in the edit because of the large number of comments saying "I'm American and I didn't know it was a slur therefore she mustn't have known either"

atomicdream
Oct 4, 2017

shaking my money maker to fund my crippling glamour addiction.

toplitzin posted:

All this talk of communion makes me think of The 1969 Easter Mass Incident

I love this all so much.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Mx. posted:

OP had to add in the edit because of the large number of comments saying "I'm American and I didn't know it was a slur therefore she mustn't have known either"

whoa whoa whoa, calm down fellas, i didn't know it was a slur --my last words before getting hospitalized

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Foo Diddley posted:

whoa whoa whoa, calm down fellas, i didn't know it was a slur --my last words before getting hospitalized

"Uh, no, person the slur applies to, that's not a slur, you're just sensitive!"

I bet they get mad if they're called a cracker tho.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

* For instance, it's been ruled by the Roman Catholic church that completely gluten-free wafers can't be consecrated, because they have to have some gluten in them to count as bread. Sucks to be you, celiacs.

conservatism in a nutshell right here lmao

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022

Mx. posted:

It's a slur in the US and Canada too. No excuse for that one.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I bet they get mad if they're called a cracker tho.

In the UK the correct term is gammon.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Mx. posted:

Ooh this is always fun. My favourite responses to asking to not be called slurs include "well you deserve to be called that" and "I read on the internet that you people actually like being called that".

Actias
Oct 9, 2012

In Quebec they sell uncut sheets of communion wafers for people to have as normal, everyday snacks: https://montrealgazette.com/news/local-news/host-cuttings-quebecers-have-a-religious-devotion-to-the-nostalgic-snack

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

AITA for only showering once a week?
https://rareddit.com/r/AmItheAsshole/comments/10wag7k/aita_for_only_showering_once_a_week/

quote:

I (24M) know that a lot of people will just look at the title and just say I'm in the wrong because of the stigma, but hear me out. It is winter where I live so I'm consistently cold and not really sweating or anything. I usually shower when I feel gross and it usually takes me 5-6 days before I actually start to feel gross. I'm not crazy, in the summer when it's hot and sticky I shower every 2-3 days like normal but it just doesn't feel necessary in the winter!

Anyway, the inciting incident here was on Sunday. I was ordering more shampoo and commented on how the price had almost doubled since last time. My girlfriend (29F) asked when I last ordered it and it was some time in mid-2020. She was shocked "how did it take you almost 3 years to go through a bottle of shampoo?" I told her that I don't use a lot and eventually we got into how frequently I showered and she acted like I was crazy. She didn't even know that I was averaging one shower a week because I keep good hygiene. I groom myself regularly and wear deodorant so I don't think anyone can really tell the difference. Then my girlfriend, we'll call her Granet, starts going on about "oh that explains the smell" and stuff like that. I totally think she was just making it up at this point. I've been dating her for 2 years and she's never commented about smell or anything. There's no way she just happened to decide that I smell bad now that she knows my shower schedule. She's just trying to shame me. We argued for a while about it and then she went home.

Today, I saw my mom (56F) for lunch and I told her about it. She agreed with me that it's fine and that she's never thought that I looked greasy or unclean. My mom also said that I should consider showering at least a couple times a week if Granet has a problem with it, but if she can't actually tell the difference why bother? I'm considering trying to say that I'm showering every other day but keeping my normal routine. If she can actually tell the difference she will know but if not then it's just a little white lie. Is this wrong for me to do?

Am I a supervillain just because I'm not following the societal norm? I remember reading that overshowering can cause head lice but no one even talks about that. Reddit, has anyone else been in a similar scenario?

EDIT: Hey everyone, appreciate the comments from people who were kind and tactful in their replies. I've done some research after seeing the overwhelming amount of responses and I am going to start showering more to prevent the buildup of harmful bacteria. Also some people pointed out that I accidentally said Granet for the fake name. I'm dyslexic and meant to put Garnet lol! Thanks for coming out everybody hope you all have a good night!

Posting this because I've been reading The Clean Body by Peter Ward and oh m god. This dumb motherfucker has hot water on demand, is able to have private, lengthy showers, and still chooses not to bathe. I would suggest acid pit, but I fear the acid would be overtaken by the bo. Also what the gently caress, lice does not appear from overshowering. How did his caretakers gently caress him up so badly?

ps

:nms: :nms: :nms:

quote:

At the 1399 coronation of Henry IV of England, when the archbishop anointed the king’s head with holy oil, lice rushed out of his hair, evidently angry about all the oil. And in 2008, Italian researchers examined the mummified remains of a fifteenth-century king of Naples, Ferdinando II of Aragon, and found lice in his head hair and pubic hair.
:nms: :nms: :nms:
The Royal Art of Poison- Filthy Palaces, Fatal Cosmetics, Deadly Medicine, and Murder Most Foul by Eleanor Herman

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
you don't understand lice were desirable to have at the time it kept away dragons

Huggybear
Jun 17, 2005

I got the jimjams

Nerdlord Actual posted:

Anxious millennial dating content

I (f25) met him (m 30) twice and we talked for hours. Is it ok if I send him a message on social media to initiate a conversation?

Hmm this is interesting. Not for generational content as I am Gen X and single and this would stress me out. I have know people who think it is creepy to "slide into DMs" and I've known several couples who have met my doing so. I've had people (men) do this creepily and sexually, and women as well - not on dating apps, on Instagram. I've had men flirt and thought it was cute on Instagram. So I guess it's the way people do it. Personally were I to DM someone I thought was cute I would start by saying, "I'd like to initiate conversation, would you be okay with that?" But I am extremely tactful by nature and wonder if that isn't even too forward.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Leaving the word "paki" aside, and swapping it for a different ethnicity. What the friend said was "I didn't know your were a Wog, I thought you were a Dago."

Which means the semantics of her racism, and her "C'mon, that word's not that bad a way to describe "you people"" defense, are not important.

What is important is her casual use of slurs, defense of said slurs, and complete inability to understand that de-humanizing an entire race of people to a reductive stereotype is offensive and upsetting to those it's being directed at.

With the side issue of, someone asks you politely not to call them "X". Then the decent thing to do is not call them "X". Even if you don't think it is rude/mean/offensive. Because they asked, and it'd be the nice thing to do. Not double down on defending racism.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
"I'd like to initiate a conversation" is negative forwardness

you already have? already a mess

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Foo Diddley posted:

"It means stingy, I swear!"

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Imagine my embarrassment when I realized I had been using the wrong word for Polish people when I spoke English because in Spanish, my mother tongue, it is "Polaco".

Huggybear
Jun 17, 2005

I got the jimjams

Private Cumshoe posted:

"I'd like to initiate a conversation" is negative forwardness

you already have? already a mess

I don't understand what negative forwardness means, I have never heard that term before and it doesn't come up in google.

No, I haven't, I am asking if they wish to converse. If the answer is no thanks, that would not be the definition of a conversation. That's a two sentence exchange.

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

Batterypowered7 posted:

Imagine my embarrassment when I realized I had been using the wrong word for Polish people when I spoke English because in Spanish, my mother tongue, it is "Polaco".
Spoiling for an anti-Mexican slur. On a similar note there is a chain of hair salons in Alberta called Beaners Fun Cuts for Kids. Learning the racist meaning after seeing the haircut place around forever was one hell of a trip.

They meant the funny hat with the propeller :(

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

run on sentience posted:

It's a slur in the US and Canada too. No excuse for that one.

Sure, it’s still a slur in the US in the sense that it would be understood that way if we said it, but we don’t. Mind you, that’s because we just think they’re also Arabs.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Solenna posted:

They meant the funny hat with the propeller :(

if they meant beanies they probably should have said beanies instead of beaners.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

kdrudy posted:

"It means stingy, I swear!"

*getting bodily removed from the smash bros tournament* but it means a bundle of sticks!!

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022

Pirate Radar posted:

Sure, it’s still a slur in the US in the sense that it would be understood that way if we said it, but we don’t. Mind you, that’s because we just think they’re also Arabs.

You may not have heard it personally, but it's definitely used in the US. In Minnesota at the very least I have heard it.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

run on sentience posted:

You may not have heard it personally, but it's definitely used in the US. In Minnesota at the very least I have heard it.

I can always be wrong. Is it a Midwest thing then? I’ve never heard it on either coast.

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

Achmed Jones posted:

if they meant beanies they probably should have said beanies instead of beaners.

Yeah they should have. I'm actually surprised the name has never been changed.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Foo Diddley posted:

are you gonna have a wine + cheese party with communion wafers for crackers? 'cuz you should

Don't forget the Jeez Whiz. It's sacrilicious.

Chick Counterfly
Jan 9, 2023

by Hand Knit
Prevalence of slurs can vary pretty widely by region but that specific one is pretty fuckin far from being a preferred term in any place that I've ever heard of. Seems like it'd be a lot easier to just apologize.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

if she's from the north of the UK she 100% knows it's a slur and there not a single excuse there at all. if you want to refer to someone from Pakistan you call them Pakistani, shortening that had always been a slur as far back as the 70s

source: someone from the north of england

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Solenna posted:

Yeah they should have. I'm actually surprised the name has never been changed.

It's Alberta. The average person here doesn't care, even if they should.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

AceClown posted:

if she's from the north of the UK she 100% knows it's a slur and there not a single excuse there at all. if you want to refer to someone from Pakistan you call them Pakistani, shortening that had always been a slur as far back as the 70s

Even if you didn't know it was a slur the correct response is "I'm so sorry, I had no idea it was a slur, I'll make sure to not use it again." Not to double down and insist that it's fine, actually.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Dating for 2 years and you only now noticed her BF showered once a week?

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

CitizenKain posted:

Dating for 2 years and you only now noticed her BF showered once a week?

maybe she only ever saw him on shower day

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

Spalec posted:

Even if you didn't know it was a slur the correct response is "I'm so sorry, I had no idea it was a slur, I'll make sure to not use it again." Not to double down and insist that it's fine, actually.

our dog's name is Bean and people will slap on the 'er sometimes when referring to her (very innocently because people baby talk her as she's a Scottie and ridiculous) and I always have to point it out to people that it's an ethnic slur. Bonus points if said interaction happens in front of my wife, who is from Mexico

Serene Dragon
Mar 31, 2011

AceClown posted:

This. I'm from the south of Scotland, and can backup that it's a very, very commonly used slur all over the UK. Don't believe for a second that she didn't know what it meant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

olylifter posted:

our dog's name is Bean and people will slap on the 'er sometimes when referring to her (very innocently because people baby talk her as she's a Scottie and ridiculous) and I always have to point it out to people that it's an ethnic slur. Bonus points if said interaction happens in front of my wife, who is from Mexico

Reminds me of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uMs-TUW_nE

At least this was A) Unintentional and B) Apologizes without even pausing for breath.