Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Fors Yard posted:

I kept up with this thread years ago but lost track: I bought a Retroid Pocket 2 back when they were preorder and rarely used it due to input lag. I'm seeing the 3 and 3+ ads. Is this still inherent in the Android setup or is it better? I like the d-pad location on top instead of bottom that was a complaint about he 2 it had awkward grip when using it. The same style stick on both sides seems like a big improvement. Opposite corners and one raised felt weird. I really like the design and would love a portable handheld and I want to like the 2.

Anyone have experience with input lag with 3 or 3+? It made some simple platforming take trial and error when to press instead of what feels natural from playing on console. Castlevania IV has those green platforms that spin and drop you after you jump on them and the section with three of those over a pit took a while to know when to press to just get past that part.

These ones? I actually played Super Castlevania IV not long ago on RP3 and didn't have any issues with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I am loving this rg353m. It's solid, fast, has plenty of community support, and the materials feel high quality. But dang that battery life is awful AND putting it to sleep instead of turning it off burns through battery almost as quick as leaving it on. I hope it's just ArkOS not playing nice with the hardware or that I can get a third party battery to swap in

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?

Pablo Nergigante posted:

These ones? I actually played Super Castlevania IV not long ago on RP3 and didn't have any issues with it.

Thanks. Yep, never had any issue on console but that took multiple tries to figure out how early I needed to jump to make it across. NES Mega Man games were a much bigger challenge when they are usually the games I beat as enjoyment. Taking a chance on the 3+ and really hoping it feels better. I really wanted to like the RP2

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Fors Yard posted:

I kept up with this thread years ago but lost track: I bought a Retroid Pocket 2 back when they were preorder and rarely used it due to input lag. I'm seeing the 3 and 3+ ads. Is this still inherent in the Android setup or is it better? I like the d-pad location on top instead of bottom that was a complaint about he 2 it had awkward grip when using it. The same style stick on both sides seems like a big improvement. Opposite corners and one raised felt weird. I really like the design and would love a portable handheld and I want to like the 2.

Anyone have experience with input lag with 3 or 3+? It made some simple platforming take trial and error when to press instead of what feels natural from playing on console. Castlevania IV has those green platforms that spin and drop you after you jump on them and the section with three of those over a pit took a while to know when to press to just get past that part.

I was in your situation. Upgrading from RP2 to RP3+ was pretty huge.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:
How long are RP3+ orders taking to ship? I ordered from their site a couple weeks ago and haven't heard since.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Theotus posted:

Looking forward to the Miyoo Mini+, hopefully it isn't impossible to get.

I own a Mini; my son dropped it and broke the screen and it looks like I’m not going to be able to fix it.

I missed out on buying another Mini despite being online and getting the instock notification the second it happened.

After reading that RG35XX review I bought one of those instead.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

Manager Hoyden posted:

I am loving this rg353m…

From my experience sleep just does not work on the Linux side of these at all. I just got in the habit of enabling auto save and load for save states and just shutting it off when I was done. How terrible is the battery life for you and what are you playing? I’d estimate mine was around 5-6 hours for SNES level games.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

How long are RP3+ orders taking to ship? I ordered from their site a couple weeks ago and haven't heard since.

Mine shipped the next day; placed the order on Jan 11, shipped on Jan 12 (sent it to a friend in Finland)

/ninjaedit: Mine's black, clurple and a couple other colours were in backorder when I placed my order, maybe it's that?

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:
Ah, I bet it was the color. It wouldn’t surprise me if clear purple was backordered but I was expecting a note from them. Thanks!

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Manager Hoyden posted:

I am loving this rg353m. It's solid, fast, has plenty of community support, and the materials feel high quality. But dang that battery life is awful AND putting it to sleep instead of turning it off burns through battery almost as quick as leaving it on. I hope it's just ArkOS not playing nice with the hardware or that I can get a third party battery to swap in

the sleep mode on my 353m actually retains battery better than I expected but I guess my expectations are pretty low from stuff like the 3DS and "if you don't remember to turn the wifi off it's going to last for like a day max"

also turning off wifi/bluetooth was one of the first things I did out of habit, I'm way too previously trained that anything that's remotely "smart" with a wifi chip in it is going to burn through more battery than I want it to searching for nearby wifi networks

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Poking around, it seems like a fairly recently available adapter can be crammed inside the housing with just a screwdriver and some kapton tape but I don't have one to verify, so

I did this to my Go sometime last year; I even bought from that same seller. He's located in Ukraine and I had ordered it right before the whole invasion/war thing. Thought I had essentially just made a donation to a Ukrainian family, but it ended up showing up only a few weeks later.

aarstar
Mar 7, 2004
I use that adapter also. My previous one attached with capacitive tape or something and it barely worked, but this one from Etsy is well made and has worked with no problems so far.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I know I just said I haven't encountered any input lag on RP3+ but last night I tried playing Gitaroo Man Lives! and had enough input lag that made it quite difficult to play. From what I've found PPSSPP seems to have more input lag than other emulators on Android, is there any way to improve that or should I just not bother playing PSP rhythm games on this thing

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

CFox posted:

From my experience sleep just does not work on the Linux side of these at all. I just got in the habit of enabling auto save and load for save states and just shutting it off when I was done. How terrible is the battery life for you and what are you playing? I’d estimate mine was around 5-6 hours for SNES level games.

I would say about four hours of active play time with snes/genesis games so not too off. But yeah the crappy part is that leaving it in standby for any length of time (a night, a workday) means it will absolutely be dead when I pick it up

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I know I just said I haven't encountered any input lag on RP3+ but last night I tried playing Gitaroo Man Lives! and had enough input lag that made it quite difficult to play. From what I've found PPSSPP seems to have more input lag than other emulators on Android, is there any way to improve that or should I just not bother playing PSP rhythm games on this thing

You could try the core in RA, but it'll probably have worse performance. You could also try the PS2 version!

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

kirbysuperstar posted:

You could try the core in RA, but it'll probably have worse performance. You could also try the PS2 version!

I feel like the PS2 version on RP3+ is gonna be even worse!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I feel like the PS2 version on RP3+ is gonna be even worse!

Entirely possible but you never know until you try

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

unless the core has been updated in the last month or so, the PS2 retroarch core is still trash/underdeveloped.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Is there a thread for small scale arcade games, like New wave arcade games or 1up? Or is this the best one? I did a quick look back (and search for the term 1up) and really haven't found much.

New Wave has a limited release on their Dragons Lair 1/6 "arcade" game, which looks cool as hell, but drat, $170US + $60 shipping to :canada: makes it pretty steep for a toy.

I think it's one of those games that might be better in memory than in practice.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

slidebite posted:

Is there a thread for small scale arcade games, like New wave arcade games or 1up?

Yes

coconono posted:

unless the core has been updated in the last month or so, the PS2 retroarch core is still trash/underdeveloped.

This is like a window to the future, where I know I could be reading this now or in 2030 and it will still hold true.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

coconono posted:

Yeah I meant aether (rip) not fuckin.. play or whatever it is libra are convinced is secretly the future

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Thanks man

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Is it possible to use a retroid pocket as a controller for a PC through bluetooth?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

icantfindaname posted:

Is it possible to use a retroid pocket as a controller for a PC through bluetooth?
1. Run Steam Link but leave your monitor on, only works for games you launch through steam

2. Use an android app that makes your phone a touchscreen gamepad and then use Retroid's screen mapper on top of that

https://grill2010.github.io/droidJoy.html#download

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4PHCalvjMM

3. Use Retroarch's Remote Retropad, but this works only for Retroarch itself (someone on Reddit said it worked with their RG353P, not sure about Retroid Pocket)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzom8OZ-HAk

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

i just noticed the "anbernic rg353m" today, would you all say its a good handheld for someone whos never had a 3rd party retro handheld before? :) i checked out a few reviews and they seemed p positive on the whole about it

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Booky posted:

i just noticed the "anbernic rg353m" today, would you all say its a good handheld for someone whos never had a 3rd party retro handheld before? :) i checked out a few reviews and they seemed p positive on the whole about it

I love my 353M, but I definitely think there are better handhelds for the same price. The Retroid Pocket 3+ is a stronger handheld with a larger screen and better ergonomics on the triggers, but if you want something very pocketable that can handle all the way through PS1 and N64 with zero issues, the 353M can do that. I'd say that it really depends on what all you want to play on it and how comfortable you feel handling stuff like custom firmwares and retroarch configs.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Doctor Hospital posted:

I love my 353M, but I definitely think there are better handhelds for the same price. The Retroid Pocket 3+ is a stronger handheld with a larger screen and better ergonomics on the triggers, but if you want something very pocketable that can handle all the way through PS1 and N64 with zero issues, the 353M can do that. I'd say that it really depends on what all you want to play on it and how comfortable you feel handling stuff like custom firmwares and retroarch configs.

i'd be ok with like 4 rpg psp games along with the nes/snes/ps1/gba games and such :) i think im ok with custom firmware (hacked my 3ds which i guess counts?) and RA config stuff with some tutorials, also those hall eff sticks seem v cool on the 353M

my hands are kind of small but it seems like both the RP 3+ and 353M have pretty similar sizes? :v: gonna look at more reviews too, idk how similar they are playable games-wise

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Thanks thread I had no idea I wanted one of these but now I really want a 353M. I think I like the size of the 353M over the RP3+, I use my phone for local moonlight streaming with a razer kishi so I'm still not sure if I really need one of these but I like the idea of having a handheld android device that isn't my phone to dump games on and have around the house for myself or my gf to pick up and easily play a variety of stuff. Gonna be over here contemplatively stroking my beard if anyone needs me.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

The 353M is almost identical in size to a GBA classic, meanwhile the RP3+ is about the halfway point between that and a Switch Lite. If pocketability is a concern, Anbernic is usually a better option. The 353M is definitely kinda pricey for its specific niche (even the 353V is considerably cheaper), but I've been halfway considering it. The more mileage I'm able to wring out of my 280V though, the less it seems necessary.

On that note, since the most recent release of the Adam image is almost a year old, and running a version of OD that's almost two years old, I got a little sassy and compiled a more recent version from GitHub commits dated this year. It actually seems a fair bit more stable now, and the RetroArch configs and overrides actually work properly! Worth it.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Size Comparisons!

Switch Lite, Retroid Pocket 3/3+, 353M

Steam Deck, Switch, Retroid Pocket 3/3+, 3DS XL, Retroid Pocket 2/2+, GBA SP

All of the latest Anbernics

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
There is a part of me just still wants an RG353p just because it is so cute and funky looking.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

and now i learned about the anbernic rg505..... aaaaaaaaaa i can't decide!!!

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

remigious posted:

There is a part of me just still wants an RG353p just because it is so cute and funky looking.
It's not bad but I think the Pocket Go S30 looked a bit better, something about the proportions are a bit off on the 353p, it's too bad about the Pocket Go's rapid button press problem and outdated chipset and screen.

Booky posted:

and now i learned about the anbernic rg505..... aaaaaaaaaa i can't decide!!!
The 505 is the same chipset as the Retroid Pocket 3+, is also android only, has similar controls (but no stacked shoulder buttons), and the big difference is that it has the PS Vita's 540p OLED screen instead of the RP3+'s iPhone SE 768p screen, the 768p screen being sharper and better for nearest neighbor uspcaling, but the 540p screen being OLED and perfect for playing PSP games at 4x upscaling:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5owHHqCUUek

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

F.D. Signifier posted:

The 505 is the same chipset as the Retroid Pocket 3+, is also android only, has similar controls (but no stacked shoulder buttons), and the big difference is that it has the PS Vita's 540p OLED screen instead of the RP3+'s iPhone SE 768p screen, the 768p screen being sharper and better for nearest neighbor uspcaling, but the 540p screen being OLED and perfect for playing PSP games at 4x upscaling:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5owHHqCUUek

i decided finally, on the rg353m, since i don't think i'll be playing too many psp games on it and also it only seems like on that screen i'd just get some letterboxing?

if i like it i might check out a retroid one later on tho

Bourricot
Aug 7, 2016

https://retrosizer.com/ is a very useful website for comparing the size of various handhelds

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Does any handheld at this level handle PS2 consistently, or does that require a jump to the higher level Steam/micro PC handhelds?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Mokotow posted:

Does any handheld at this level handle PS2 consistently, or does that require a jump to the higher level Steam/micro PC handhelds?

If you're willing to wait for them to ship, the Odin Lite is extremely capable for PS2 stuff for $200. But that's about the price you're still looking at for a PS2 handheld.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

It sounds like the RP3+ is a good buy then? I was eyeing one up but I wasn't quite sure about pulling the trigger yet.

Is it easy to set up? Comparatively, at least

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Harrow posted:

It sounds like the RP3+ is a good buy then? I was eyeing one up but I wasn't quite sure about pulling the trigger yet.

Is it easy to set up? Comparatively, at least

It's Android, so if you've used an Android phone in the last few years you already know the setup. And there's plenty of good setup videos on Youtube if not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Any word on the Miyoo Mini+ yet?