Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

🌐 :shibe:
https://twitter.com/statedept/status/1623435330375524352

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

lobster shirt posted:

i started reading wrong turn: america's deadly embrace of counterinsurgency a couple days ago. not super far into yet. has anyone else read this tome? thoughts? ff do u know col. gian gentile?

I don't know anyone named that personally, but calling it a wrong turn seems to be about right. There have been some interesting books about counterinsurgency recently, including some that suggest Petraeus mostly used it as a self-promotion mechanism for himself within the Army and as a PR device for the Army with the public and media. That's the only quibble I would have with "embrace", but of course you have to differentiate what institutions claim to indoctrinate members to believe and implement, and the actual attitude of the institution towards the idea, in theory or practice.

What is the book about?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

general betrayus

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

lobster shirt posted:

i started reading wrong turn: america's deadly embrace of counterinsurgency a couple days ago. not super far into yet. has anyone else read this tome? thoughts? ff do u know col. gian gentile?

In "Wrong Turn: America's Deadly Embrace of Counterinsurgency," Gian Gentile argues that the root causes of the insurgencies in Iraq and Algeria were not addressed by COIN "hearts and minds" strategies.

In Iraq, Gentile argues that the root causes of the insurgency included widespread poverty, a lack of political and economic opportunity, and deep-seated sectarian divisions. He argues that the US military's COIN strategy, which was focused on "winning hearts and minds" through various population-centric tactics, did not address these underlying issues and only served to prolong the conflict.

In Algeria, Gentile argues that the root causes of the insurgency were similarly complex and included a combination of political, economic, and social factors. He argues that the French military's COIN strategy, which was also focused on "winning hearts and minds," failed to address these underlying issues and only served to further militarize civilian life and fuel the insurgency.

Overall, Gentile argues that COIN strategies are not effective in addressing the root causes of insurgency and that a more comprehensive approach, that addresses the political, economic, and social factors that contribute to insurgency, is needed in order to achieve lasting peace and stability.

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

The Oldest Man posted:

In "Wrong Turn: America's Deadly Embrace of Counterinsurgency," Gian Gentile argues that the root causes of the insurgencies in Iraq and Algeria were not addressed by COIN "hearts and minds" strategies.

In Iraq, Gentile argues that the root causes of the insurgency included widespread poverty, a lack of political and economic opportunity, and deep-seated sectarian divisions. He argues that the US military's COIN strategy, which was focused on "winning hearts and minds" through various population-centric tactics, did not address these underlying issues and only served to prolong the conflict.

In Algeria, Gentile argues that the root causes of the insurgency were similarly complex and included a combination of political, economic, and social factors. He argues that the French military's COIN strategy, which was also focused on "winning hearts and minds," failed to address these underlying issues and only served to further militarize civilian life and fuel the insurgency.

Overall, Gentile argues that COIN strategies are not effective in addressing the root causes of insurgency and that a more comprehensive approach, that addresses the political, economic, and social factors that contribute to insurgency, is needed in order to achieve lasting peace and stability.

Lmao

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

In "Wrong Turn: America's Deadly Embrace of Counterinsurgency," Gian Gentile advocates for the replacement of COIN strategies with more conventional military strategies. He argues that COIN strategies have consistently failed to achieve their intended goals and have instead prolonged conflicts and led to more civilian casualties.

Here are some of the key points of the replacement strategy that Col. Gentile advocates for:

A focus on conventional military capabilities: Gentile argues that COIN strategies have neglected the development of military capabilities that are needed to defeat an enemy on the battlefield. He advocates for a return to conventional military strategies that focus on developing and using these capabilities in order to achieve victory.

A focus on military operations: Gentile argues that COIN strategies have been too focused on non-military operations, such as "winning hearts and minds," and that this has detracted from the military's ability to achieve its objectives on the battlefield. He advocates for a return to a focus on military operations, including the use of force as necessary, to achieve victory.

A focus on short-term objectives: Gentile argues that COIN strategies have been too focused on long-term goals, such as "winning hearts and minds," and that this has detracted from the military's ability to achieve short-term objectives that are necessary to bring an end to the conflict. He advocates for a focus on short-term objectives that can be achieved through military operations, with the goal of achieving victory as quickly as possible.

A recognition of the political and economic factors that contribute to insurgency: Gentile recognizes that the root causes of insurgency are often political and economic, as well as military, in nature. He advocates for a more comprehensive approach to addressing insurgency that takes these factors into account, in addition to military operations.

Overall, Col. Gentile's replacement strategy advocates for a return to conventional military strategies that focus on military operations and conventional military capabilities, with the goal of achieving victory as quickly as possible. He argues that this approach is more likely to achieve lasting peace and stability, and is a better alternative to the COIN strategies that have been employed in recent conflicts.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Thanks, ChatGPT. Sounds like this guy is right that COIN is dumb as gently caress and never works but wrong that the military is primarily a tool of achieving tactical victories rather than primarily a swiss army knife of capitalist imperial extraction, so it's a land of contrasts.

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifaoKZfQpdA

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Achievable objective: kill a bunch of guys who live near the oil field and take the oil
Non achievable objective: use military force to make the guys who live near the oilfield like you more than they like oil and just be ok with you taking all the oil

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Best Friends posted:

I was proud to fire an AIM-9 Sidewinder at a Chinese aircraft.

But there’s one place an AIM-9 Sidewinder shouldn’t be: American schools

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Kind of hard to win hearts and minds when your speical operation badasses keep raping and murdering people and you bomb every wedding you see

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
I propose a bold innovative COIN strategy: kill everyone in the country so no one is left to dislike you.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

see where coin goes wrong is in not being even more obtrusive

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
the problem is they forgot the TELPRO. should have let the FBI finish their presentation

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

The Oldest Man posted:

Thanks, ChatGPT. Sounds like this guy is right that COIN is dumb as gently caress and never works but wrong that the military is primarily a tool of achieving tactical victories rather than primarily a swiss army knife of capitalist imperial extraction, so it's a land of contrasts.

The Malayan Emergency is the usual example of successful COIN.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sounds like the US needs to flip their COIN strategy

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Best Friends posted:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Mint the trillion dollar COIN

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

the billion dollar COIN sounds like a bargain now, eh

edit: gently caress YOU GRADENKO

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
Gotem!

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Weka posted:

And isnt the underlying "sucess" of the British really down to that they committed mass genocide there to kill the insurgency

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I have a book from 1906, Small Wars : Their Principles and Practice that reads as both correct and timeless and horrifyingly of its time. There are things in there that I'm like "Gosh! We need to do poo poo like that." and other things like "I'm just going to pretend I didn't read about this."

Inside you there are two Sahibs.

Many recent books and an upcoming GMT game about how The British Way, including in Malaya, was a lot more bloodied minded than the public memory lets on (hint: they classified all Chinese Malays as Communists). But on the other hand, Wolseley Helmets and Hill Stations. The stuff they did in Kenya was so far beyond the pale that it's almost incomprehensible, but then they had a catch-and-release policy for the Haganah. Really, who can say? Other than tank buster, I guess.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 04:59 on Feb 9, 2023

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/zhao_dashuai/status/1623533664058634240

48 drone launcher truck :eyepop:

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
most of hte way to the diamond age

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Frosted Flake posted:

but then they had a catch-and-release policy for the Haganah. Really, who can say? Other than tank buster, I guess.

Introducing Volko Ruhnke's next game in the COIN series: One Land, Two Peoples - The Nakba, 1948

Playing as either the British of Mandatory Palestine, the Handala, the Irgun, or the Palmach, do you have what it takes to commit, or resist, ethnic cleansing?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Homeworld scout swarm irl

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vj37yeQQHg

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Weka posted:

paul_soccer12 posted:

I propose a bold innovative COIN strategy: kill everyone in the country so no one is left to dislike you.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
wait lemme take on the max strange tone on this, that my sir is a a murder of suicide drones

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
I don't really know anything about the Malayan Emergency but wiki says ~11,000 deaths. Is this wildly inaccurate?

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Slavvy posted:

Wall, formation set

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Gunshow Poophole posted:

most of hte way to the diamond age

at this point The Diamond Age looks unreasonably optimistic

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Slavvy posted:

iirc kamikaze probes was a very cost-effective tactic

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Weka posted:

I don't really know anything about the Malayan Emergency but wiki says ~11,000 deaths. Is this wildly inaccurate?

They permanently effected the number of Chinese Malays and their place in society, so I'm going to guess "yes".

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

A Bakers Cousin posted:

That recruit a friend thing has been around since like the 80s

Back when I joined they had a program where if you and a friend signed up you would get to be in the same boot camp division.

Never knew of anyone who took up that offer though.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

I too support a less disciplined military whose air and space forces are addled by hourly bong hits
https://twitter.com/cnasdc/status/1623729443612024837

quote:

The all-volunteer force of the last 50 years has been able to be selective and set stringent, uniform requirements. There are clear needs for some of these. Pilots must have good eyesight, sailors must be physically able to perform damage control, and so on. However, many of these requirements are more culturally imbued, and limit eligibility to serve.

Recent articles have highlighted that only 23% of Americans meet the minimum eligibility requirements to serve due to poor physical fitness, medical disqualification, education, and criminal history. Initiatives to increase the pool of availability are underway across each service.

The Air Force and Space Force are allowing waivers for candidates who test positive for THC. The Army’s Future Soldiers Program provides opportunities to those who would not pass the physical or educational requirements. And the Navy raised the maximum enlistment age to 41 years old and is accepting lower scores on the Armed Forces Qualification Test.

The above initiatives by each service are meant to expand that 23% eligibility, but they are still recruiting along the same uniform standards for frontline warfighting jobs.

https://www.cnas.org/publications/commentary/stop-holding-recruits-to-one-size-fits-all-standards

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

mawarannahr posted:

I too support a less disciplined military whose air and space forces are addled by hourly bong hits

this is already how icbm staffing works i don't see how extending that to computer touchers would change anything

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

the navy seals use the trick of drinking their cocaine so that it doesn’t get on their fingers

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

KomradeX posted:

And isnt the underlying "sucess" of the British really down to that they committed mass genocide there to kill the insurgency

the wrong turn book i am reading has a chapter on this which i read last night. he basically makes the point that, contra the coin advocate narrative that the british army in malaya focused on winning hearts and minds, the reality of the malayan insurgency is that a) the british army won through a combination of large and small sweeps in the hinterland to kill insurgents and destroy their supply caches and b) mass interning and relocation of the rural chinese population from which the communist insurgents drew their support. for b specifically he notes that this explicitly did not win any hearts and minds but did establish significant levels of control and sever the link between the peasantry and the insurgents. the author also points out that the insurgency was probably doomed in any event because it was small (he estimates that total troop numbers never exceeded 10k), barely received any foreign material support from either the ussr or china, and most importantly was comprised almost entirely of an ethnic minority distinct and separate from the malay majority who largely opposed them.

anyway the chapter i will read tonight is about vietnam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Best Friends posted:

Understanding how an AIM-9 Sidewinder works is a perfect STEM project for HS thou. Rocket Eq, control loop algorithm, IR sensor, actuators, integration and test - every child should have access to AIM-9s.