Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

wow people are really wound up about that coldstone

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

mawarannahr posted:

that looks good, kinda like Uzbek pilav they serve at some fast food kebab chains

A while ago, youtube decided that I was really into Uzbekistand and flooded my suggestions with Uzbek cooking channels.

They left me with an intense desire to visit Uzbekistan and eat at the national plov center in taskent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpWacNCKmJE

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Zedhe Khoja posted:

i'll never understand why the middle class populations of the world are so obsessed with the trashiest versions american food. theres like 30 carl's jr's in my city, and god knows how many arbys.

Domino's and Pizza Hut are fancy eating in Brazil

Retarded Goatee
Feb 6, 2010
I spent :10bux: so that means I can be a cheapskate and post about posting instead of having some wit or spending any more on comedy avs for people. Which I'm also incapable of. Comedy.

Weembles posted:

A while ago, youtube decided that I was really into Uzbekistand and flooded my suggestions with Uzbek cooking channels.

They left me with an intense desire to visit Uzbekistan and eat at the national plov center in taskent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpWacNCKmJE

Plov Center is good but the real Uzbek national treasure is this place just called The Plov in Bukhara

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

A page late but huh TIL more than one kind of Proddie. Was the controversy in the 10th c. sort of an Iconoclasm thing? What was the underlying political conflict?

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

There isnt a religious dispute as the 2 sides have no doctrinal difference. The real issue is about curbing the power of EOTC in Southern of Ethiopia by carving out a synod centered on Addis.

However EOTC is the most potent vector of Imperial ideology. The product of Teklehaymanot doctrine of Fetha Negast myth which sees the Empire as the embodiment of Solomonic Earthly Kingdom and requires a dual alignment of political and religious power. Abiy obviously does not to end like the ill fated emperor Susenyos!

Frosted Flake posted:

A page late but huh TIL more than one kind of Proddie. Was the controversy in the 10th c. sort of an Iconoclasm thing? What was the underlying political conflict?

no they’re just normal prots but with different lore. They’re not from the 10th century but they claim the church is illegitimate because it was destroyed by the Jewish queen Gudit and that they are the true church.

SideEffectShit
Oct 10, 2022

by Pragmatica
so is the US gonna throw out a surprise card soon and forcibly complete its half rear end homogenization of the mideast and africa?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

rip sandra

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

I love graphics design in the third world. I used to have a wedding poster from my cousin in Djibouti that’s so tacky it was a work of art.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

PawParole posted:

I love graphics design in the third world. I used to have a wedding poster from my cousin in Djibouti that’s so tacky it was a work of art.

lol

some of my colleagues attended the funeral of one of goodluck jonathan's relatives and they all brought back tote bags with the deceased's face on them

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

This is an interesting article on an ag news website highlighting some of the rural impacts on people and how it is affecting agricultural production, which is something to consider seriously when basic foodstuffs accounted for the largest price increase last year.
Earthquake caused devastation in rural areas - 08 February 2023

deepl posted:

. . .
On the third day of the earthquake, there are still places that have not been reached. In rural areas and villages, citizens are trying to dig out their relatives under the rubble with their own means.

As in densely populated urban centers, there is a great destruction in rural areas and villages. Especially in villages on or near the fault line, there is literally no stone left on stone. In villages far from the fault line, the situation is much better. In villages far from the fault line, there are a few houses that were not damaged at all.

Especially in villages in Hatay, Kahramanmaraş, Adıyaman and Gaziantep, the damage is much greater. The villages of Islahiye and Nurdağı in Gaziantep are experiencing a disaster. According to what I have heard from people living in or traveling to the villages, the situation is really dire.

It is much more difficult to reach the villages

First of all, the population density in the villages is very low. Those who stay in the villages are usually elderly. It is very difficult for them to help those trapped under the rubble. It was very difficult to reach the villages in the first two days. People living in cities, towns and districts had great difficulty in reaching their relatives in the villages. Roads were closed due to the earthquake and adverse weather conditions. There were big problems in reaching the villages. There are still closed village roads. Those who reached the villages say that the view they saw was horrible.

There are villages that have been leveled

Osman Türkman, who was successfully serving as the President of Gaziantep Sheep and Goat Breeding Association until recently, was dismissed two weeks ago on January 22nd and a trustee was appointed in his place, has been traveling from village to village since the first hours of the earthquake. He has been making efforts to deliver aid to the villages.

Osman Türkman, with whom I spoke several times by phone, summarized the situation in the villages of Gaziantep Nurdağı, Islahiye and Şehitkamil as follows: "As you can imagine, there is a huge destruction in the countryside and villages. People have lost their lives and property. I am in a village right now. They are trying to do something with their own means. I am in Şehitkamil Atalar Village. There are 62 deaths in this village. There are 22 deaths in Nurdağı Kartal Village. In İkizkuyu, there is one house left from 7-8 houses and there are 12-13 deaths. These are all estimated numbers. Because there are people under the rubble. Sakçagözü Village is in a region between Gaziantep and Nurdağı. Settlements and houses have all been destroyed. There is a huge destruction. Cemeteries are now working on a 24-hour basis.

"It is as if the earthquake lifted the villages from their places and then lowered them again"

People are trying to save their animals, their lives with their own means. We call our producer friends who are still standing and ask them to take care of their animals. There are people whose animals are under the rubble. The news coming from Gaziantep, Hatay, Kahramanmaraş, Adıyaman shows how severe the situation is. This disaster is being responded to in a very large area. The villages of Islahiye and Nurdağı are really bad. It is as if the earthquake has lifted the villages and brought them down again. I look to my left and right and the houses are all destroyed.

There is a need for tents, food and food

We see that more people have come here compared to the first day, that is, on the third day of the earthquake, our initiative citizens have come here for help. In the villages, everyone is trying to help each other. The people here primarily need tents, food and food for themselves and their animals.

Since villages are small family businesses, people have stables under their houses. People live on top and animals live underneath. When the houses collapse, the stables also collapse. There is no place for both people and animals to stay. There is feed in the house, but they cannot go in and buy it. Therefore, they cannot feed their animals. Many of them have abandoned their animals. Their siblings, spouses, children are dead, they don't have time to think about their animals."

Stables, feed stores, milking parlors destroyed

I also met with Kamil Özcan, Chairman of the Board of Directors of the Central Union of Cattle Breeders of Turkey, Lütfi Dana Haliloğlu, President of Hatay Union, and Ahmet Şimşek, President of Gaziantep Union. Of course, human life comes first. It is very important to pull even one person out of the rubble alive. The production of food necessary for human life is also important.

For those living in rural areas, their livestock, which is a source of livelihood, is as important as their own lives. There are very important problems due to the earthquake. There are animals trapped under the rubble because the barns collapsed. There are animals that are left outside without owners or waiting without food and water because their owners cannot take care of them. Feed stores, silos, milking parlors were destroyed. There is no electricity, no water. Animals cannot be milked. Some producers' animals have been bought and fed by breeders in nearby provinces. But the problem is much bigger. The state must reach the villages and take important steps and measures for farmers.

A very big organized effort is needed. Because those who are engaged in animal husbandry and agriculture here are really in trouble. Village roads are closed in some places and villages are already inaccessible. Those who have relatives are trying to support them by reaching the village somehow. In most of the villages, the phone does not work. Electricity is cut off.

In many places, milking parlors are not working. Because there is no water, the electricity is cut off. Animals are being transported to Kayseri, Amasya and other places. However, the roads are closed. Even people in the village go elsewhere to buy bread. "There is no bread," they complain.

There are also those who have taken refuge in unharmed villages

I also talked to Dr. Murat Salih, a farmer in Kilis. He said that there was almost no damage in the villages far from the fault line in Kilis, and even those whose houses were destroyed or damaged in the city went to the villages. Stating that those who migrated from the villages to Kilis and Gaziantep center over the years returned to their villages after the earthquake because they could not enter their houses, Salih said, "They took many of their neighbors who had nowhere to go to the village with them. Many villages have the same practice. It is very nice to see that this solidarity has not been lost."

Murat Salih said that the earthquake caused great damage in the villages of Musabeyli district of Kilis and that the situation in these villages was very bad.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/syriaforbashar/status/1623347482376667137?t=rpe2nllhuup_u68jDrBFrg&s=19

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Assad is verified???

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Al qaeda should consider "owning" him for paying for twitter

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Plutonis posted:

Assad is verified???

twitter blue verified

https://twitter.com/syriaforbashar/status/1603876289135661057

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Plutonis posted:

Assad is verified???

yes...just think about what will happen to twitter if they revoke it

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

https://twitter.com/StalinTeklu/status/1623367287196553223

Seems that there will be a Tigray Amhara axis. The gang is back together

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

somewhat related

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

No way we need to keep sanctions on Syria because uhhhhhhhhhhh uhhhhhhh uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Ummm

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
If we don't get rid of Assad how will we create ISIS 2?

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
The earthquake is just doing the sanctions job faster, why would they stop enforcing them now?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/catcontentonly/status/1623881550285754373?t=XAvSGmt6MCdBHUm6At3JzQ

They just tweet it out

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005
Avatar blanked by Admin request.
watching AJE coverage of the earthquake rescue operations and :stonk: holy poo poo

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

The Bam earthquake happened in Iran, killing ~30,000, after Bush's Axis of Evil speech and Iraq invasion. Still, the US sent aid to Iran, which Iran eventually accepted.

Hard to imagine Biden doing better than that decrepit war criminal

e: https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2023/2/10/us-issues-sanctions-general-exemption-for-aid-to-syria

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

Oglethorpe posted:

watching AJE coverage of the earthquake rescue operations and :stonk: holy poo poo

I think even the mid 10's of thousands estimates are low at this point. I know multiple people whose families are still underneath and I don't know that many people from the region. It's gotta be in the hundreds of thousands.

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005
Avatar blanked by Admin request.

Zedhe Khoja posted:

I think even the mid 10's of thousands estimates are low at this point. I know multiple people whose families are still underneath and I don't know that many people from the region. It's gotta be in the hundreds of thousands.

your estimate is about half the current estimate

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

https://twitter.com/UNHCRUSA/status/1624083320467234816

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

Oglethorpe posted:

your estimate is about half the current estimate

I keep seeing 20k everywhere

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Zedhe Khoja posted:

I keep seeing 20k everywhere

i think that's the tally, not the estimate

lordofthefishes
Mar 30, 2008

01000111 01010010 01000101 01000101 01010100 01001001 01001110 01000111 01010011 00100000 01000110 01000101 01001100 01001100 01001111 01010111 00100000 01000011 01000001 01001110 01000001 01000100 01001001 01000001 01001110 01010011

Plutonis posted:

Assad is verified???

Jazerus posted:

yes...just think about what will happen to twitter if they revoke it

They suspended the account :getin:

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/200_zoka/status/1624050345260326913?t=7x7dRnJWakC526HeW8Ff0Q

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Oglethorpe posted:

it's so bad. I'm having a hard time not thinking about it when I'm awake and not constantly reading news about it even if I know it does no good at all and I'm really far away. the mutual aid efforts organized by people all over the country and indeed the world are heartening. how will the region ever recover from this though? gently caress :smith:

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

:stare:

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1624366847607902208

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

who must go?

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

https://mobile.twitter.com/CTinsae/status/1624091153468469268

Seatbelts
Mar 29, 2010

this is good

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/NatashaBertrand/status/1625112498977312768

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/USAmbKabul/status/1625808160614240258?t=ATtmWZgLlVS_ijYL55tPbQ&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
I looked up Black Girl Magic and it's a brand, so no surprise it's being promoted by a yankee diplomat.