Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Is there a quick or easy to read tl;dr on health insurance in Thailand? There are way too many options - which one is decent enough or which ones did you pick? I've done some searching but I'm really I'm thinking some of the sites I'm coming across are really fishy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Alright, 5 days 4 nights in Hanoi. Got a nice hotel in the Old Quarter. Lady and I settled for a day trip to Ha Long Bay.

Any other must dos? Specifically maybe another day trip? (She likes day trips)

My primary goal is seeing cool, old poo poo and eating all the street food I can so if there's some weird side street that has the best Banh Mi in the world I will go there.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

FizFashizzle posted:

Alright, 5 days 4 nights in Hanoi. Got a nice hotel in the Old Quarter. Lady and I settled for a day trip to Ha Long Bay.

My primary goal is seeing cool, old poo poo and eating all the street food I can so if there's some weird side street that has the best Banh Mi in the world I will go there.

Do a day trip to Ninh Binh .
I liked the banh mi at Banh Mi 25 in Hanoi.
Ha Long Bay is nicer as a two day trip with one night on the boat to be honest.

Mulozon Empuri
Jan 23, 2006

I'm going to sound like the broke record I am. But. Drink fresh beer somewhere old vietnamese guys do. Eat the weird beer snacks, look at people going by.

Also. If you need masks or small socks, Chinatown in Bangkok has got you covered.

No bars though, 4 out of 5 stars, avoid.

yugioh mishima
Oct 22, 2020

FizFashizzle posted:

Tons of cool old poo poo everywhere in the old quarter just walk around. go to the shore of the west lake and find one of those ladies that serves green mango and tea and beer on a mat and chill. forget the bún chả place that obama and bourdain went to, the best bún chả is bún chả huyền linh (or at least it was when i lived there)

for banh mi most of my favs were random old ladies running carts that were usually sold out by like 8am, lol. bami bread is a chain that does reliable and solid banh mi that isn’t too geared towards foreigners (banh mi 25 is okay but very westernized imo) or for something a bit different the avocado banh mi at cafe thom by west lake is pretty good. go to chả cá anh vũ for ridiculously good fried fish

Oh and for the love of god you have to get a sinh tố bơ and drink all the egg coffee

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Has anyone had experience traveling from China to Thailand recently? From what I understand, it's fairly easy and cheap as a tourist if you just want to come and visit for a few days to a week on a landing visa. Plane tickets are certainly cheap compared to other destinations, at least.

Is it possible to use Alipay/Wechat Pay while in Thailand or should you exchange currencies before coming over?

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
Booked flights to Thailand! Splitting our time approx 5 days each in BKK and Chiang Mai.

What's the best way to get to and around Doi Inthanon National Park without driving yourself or being part of a tour that has an obligatory human zoo element? I just want to leave Karen/Hmong people in peace.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

You can hire a private driver through travel agencies and make your own schedule.

Boola
Dec 7, 2005
Aye. If you dont want to drive or be on a tour - hire a driver for the day. You'll probably be offered tour services from the first cab you take when you land at the airport. Or ask your at your hotel. There's always thais willing to help you for money.

Dont think I ever saw Karen people anywhere near Doi Inthanon either so you're good there.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Yeah, it’s pretty easy to organise a private driver for the day in Thailand. Best to go through your hotel, but organising anywhere is fine really. Just make sure to insist on no shopping.

Oh and try to figure out a specific place to eat lunch if possible, a lot of the time if we leave it up to the driver he’ll take you to the “tourist place” where all the buses go, which has overpriced crap food.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

webmeister posted:

Yeah, it’s pretty easy to organise a private driver for the day in Thailand. Best to go through your hotel, but organising anywhere is fine really. Just make sure to insist on no shopping.

Oh and try to figure out a specific place to eat lunch if possible, a lot of the time if we leave it up to the driver he’ll take you to the “tourist place” where all the buses go, which has overpriced crap food.

But you can get such a cheap driver for four stop only....and he will also make sure you don't accidently go to the temple that is closed for that day and to a better little small one instead.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
I am now flying to Bangkok for 4 days after having spent 3 weeks on Lanta. I really enjoyed it despite all the Swedish people.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
Good to hear it's super easy to get a driver. We did that in Delhi and it was pretty decent, even with the stop off at "my cousin's local shop" and mediocre tourist lunch.

Boola posted:

Dont think I ever saw Karen people anywhere near Doi Inthanon either so you're good there.

Seriously, so many itineraries are like "Visit Thailand’s highest point at Doi Inthanon National Park, look at waterfalls, and explore the Karen Tribe community."

Boola
Dec 7, 2005
Weird. Yeah, I'd avoid that too. There are Karen villages in the park after googling it. Been there several times on my own and never noticed.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile
Any goons in Bangkok know of a good karaoke place that isn't a ktv'ish spot? I checked into a bunch of places near Sukhumvit but every place I stopped by was private rooms only.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
You want Woodball. There's one right at Thonglor station and another on the same Soi as Robinhood near PhromPhong.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile
Thanks, I'll give it a go tonight.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Is Karaoke City still open these days?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Shammypants posted:

Is Karaoke City still open these days?

I've never heard of this one.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile
It was exactly what I was looking for, thanks.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile
I just got a nihongo jozu too, A++, would nihongo again.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

My visa is STILL processing for Vietnam and I fly out tomorrow at noon.

Uh…..suggestions? Gf got hers. Mine got delayed because I get fingered a date. America so it says I can’t apply in the airport.

richardtodd
Jan 7, 2006

https://getvisatovietnam.com/

A few years ago I couldn’t check in to my flight from BKK to Da Nang because I stupidly didn’t have a visa. These guys emailed me a temporary file in about 10 minutes that allowed me to check in, then had the visa ready when I landed. Obviously isn’t cheap but if you have no other options :shrug:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

FizFashizzle posted:

Uh…..suggestions?

Don't go to Vietnam? gently caress I hated that place. From the moment I landed until my flight took off the place felt wrong. Never going back.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Waltzing Along posted:

Don't go to Vietnam? gently caress I hated that place. From the moment I landed until my flight took off the place felt wrong. Never going back.

:dogstare:

Vietnam kicks rear end, what on earth are you talking about

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Yes you can just pay express visa fees through an online service and get e-visa.
It has to be done during Vietnam business hours, but turnaround is usually within two hours.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

webmeister posted:

:dogstare:

Vietnam kicks rear end, what on earth are you talking about
The only thing good about Vietnam is if you want a lot of dongs.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

richardtodd posted:

https://getvisatovietnam.com/

A few years ago I couldn’t check in to my flight from BKK to Da Nang because I stupidly didn’t have a visa. These guys emailed me a temporary file in about 10 minutes that allowed me to check in, then had the visa ready when I landed. Obviously isn’t cheap but if you have no other options :shrug:

Thanks. Here’s to hoping.

If not uh guess I’m…..staying the night in Bangkok.

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

I wanna be your left hand man

Mulozon Empuri posted:

I'm going to sound like the broke record I am. But. Drink fresh beer somewhere old vietnamese guys do. Eat the weird beer snacks, look at people going by.
I agree with this. Drinking fresh beer and munching for a good two hours was a welcome break and very enjoyable.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

The only thing good about Vietnam is if you want a lot of dongs.

yeah there's millions of dongs, and no judgement if you're into that! but honestly i can't really say a bad word about vietnam

excellent food, cheap cold beer
beautiful nature
fascinating history both new and old
intriguing culture
reasonably well organised tourist routes
cheap
friendly locals (though i guess if you're american they might not be as friendly?)

i dunno, i've been like three times now and always enjoyed it
i guess if you hate traffic, coriander, communism, or confronting america's foreign policy legacy, it might suck?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

whether or not you like vietnam, telling another person who is stressed out about getting his visa to "[not] go to vietnam" is not helpful at all. you're just kinda being a dick at that point.

I LIKE COOKIE
Dec 12, 2010

Vietnam is better than Thailand and Cambodia combined. Thailand is just where you go for a couple days while you wait for your Vietnam visa.

Boola
Dec 7, 2005

I LIKE COOKIE posted:

Vietnam is better than Thailand and Cambodia combined. Thailand is just where you go for a couple days while you wait for your Vietnam visa.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions but this opinion is pretty special.

Vietnam is great though. Good luck getting your visa sorted. As an American there, I never experienced any negativety towards me when my nationality was shared. Usually quite the opposite.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Vietnam is cool, fun, and good

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I've never been and have been lazy about traveling since my son hasn't been a great age for tourism plus covid. I'll need to get over there in a year or two.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I made it to Vietnam.

Thanks for the help, guys! Visa went through just as I landed in Bangkok and got in line for my flight lol

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Have fun, Fiz.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Hell yeah plz enjoy crossing those intersections and go to Phuc Long coffee

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I would love to go to Vietnam this year, and we're looking to do some overseas travelling, but the tickets from the east coast are just so high right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

peanut posted:

Hell yeah plz enjoy crossing those intersections and go to Phuc Long coffee

I don't get why that place is popular tbh. there are so many lovely and unique independent offee shops in Vietnam and PL just looks like a soulless Starbucks rip off to me

maybe the coffee is good idk