Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Mr. Nice! posted:

I asked once why the berthings were always kept so loving cold and the chief responded "to keep down the smell of fan. feet, rear end, and nuts."

He wasn't wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Mr. Nice! posted:

I asked once why the berthings were always kept so loving cold and the chief responded "to keep down the smell of fan. feet, rear end, and nuts."

FAN death is real.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Mr. Nice! posted:

Accurate.

Also because people won't wank under blankets like adults if its too hot in the room.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Nothing worse than a warm and humid berthing

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

We spent a month in the med with hosed berthing aircon for part of it. Not a fond memory.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/NavyStrang/status/1619136339190124546?s=20&t=3-De_aPW70A0lvZFXqEMjw

Never really thought of it that way but yeah, Navy would never let a senior LT have actual command of something

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
PT-1Whoa9.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/NavyStrang/status/1619136339190124546?s=20&t=3-De_aPW70A0lvZFXqEMjw

Never really thought of it that way but yeah, Navy would never let a senior LT have actual command of something

They actually care about training aviators.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Stultus Maximus posted:

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Stultus Maximus posted:

They actually care about aviators.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Stultus Maximus posted:

Navy? Care? lmao

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Stultus Maximus posted:

I'm not really convinced of that.

Source: Three years training aviators.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
It's a subjective scale from bad to worse

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I got more training in boat operation before I was allowed to touch the wheel of a ship carrying skidoos and fridges than a navy SWO gets before they conn a warship.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
In "lol Seabees" news, the community went from "bonuses for nobody" to "oh gently caress bonuses for everyone" and extending tours on Sailors before they PRD due to, and you guys will really find this hard to believe, there being a shortage of 2nd classes. Gee, wonder where they all went...

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

maffew buildings posted:

In "lol Seabees" news, the community went from "bonuses for nobody" to "oh gently caress bonuses for everyone" and extending tours on Sailors before they PRD due to, and you guys will really find this hard to believe, there being a shortage of 2nd classes. Gee, wonder where they all went...

Break in service!

Also PNSY secured 4 dry docks for seismic issues.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Crab Dad posted:

Break in service!

Also PNSY secured 4 dry docks for seismic issues.

PSNS. PNSY is in Maine.

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009

Stultus Maximus posted:

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
It’s hilarious to me that they’ll give an O-3 and an O-2 a B-2 loaded with nukes in the Air Force. Or the Minuteman for that matter.

I always felt like Junior USN officers had more responsibility over people than 99% of USAF officers. You can do 20 in the USAF and never directly supervise an enlisted person or write an eval on them or anything. I don’t think you can be (and I’m sure I’m wrong here) a JO on a ship without at least a small number of Enlisted directly under you.

And yet, the enlisted/officer relationship in the USN seems fuuuuuucked from the outside. Might not be, just the observation of an old Zoomie.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

it is completely hosed, as is the senior enlisted relationship with officers and lower enlisted

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

You can do 20 in the USAF and never directly supervise an enlisted person or write an eval on them or anything. I don’t think you can be (and I’m sure I’m wrong here) a JO on a ship without at least a small number of Enlisted directly under you.

I was TRAINO on my second ship and has zero personnel under me. It was great. Also, the CO gave me carte blanche to boss around the department heads in any matters involving schools or TORIS/TFOM.

Sorry you only have 3 electricians right now, but one of them is going away for 3 months because we need this NEC and the fleet refuses to add one to our RUAD. :v:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Cerekk posted:

PSNS. PNSY is in Maine.

Look at this guy with his fancy navy know how.

I’ve only worked there for 6 years I should know better.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
"worked" doing a lot of heavy lifting in that sentence

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Crab Dad posted:

Look at this guy with his fancy navy know how.

I’ve only worked there for 6 years I should know better.

Sorry I was just annoyed because the USNI article made the same mistake.

Anyway, it's easy. Norfolk Naval Shipyard is in Portsmouth. Portsmouth Naval Shipyard is in Kittery.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Nick Soapdish posted:

The Navy loving hates Wayne Hughes and it's going to get a lot of people killed.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

M_Gargantua posted:

We need to be clear here. Crab Dad has worked, he's just done it way better than anyone here.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

M_Gargantua posted:

so is "there"

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Godholio posted:

so is "there"

?
Even if I’m not “working” I’m still getting payed to be there.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Crab Dad posted:

?
Even if I’m not “working” I’m still getting payed to be there.

"There" = home station. I was mostly thinking about how you seem to escape to fleet week regularly and got to cruise the med on a not-too-lovely boat, and got stuck in Italy. And now another hardship that I won't name to avoid any superstitious issues.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Godholio posted:

"There" = home station. I was mostly thinking about how you seem to escape to fleet week regularly and got to cruise the med on a not-too-lovely boat, and got stuck in Italy. And now another hardship that I won't name to avoid any superstitious issues.

Oh! Well that’s the life of a reservist I guess. I put a fair amount of time in making sure my life doesn’t suck by networking and research.

Really looking forward to fleetweek again!

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
How do people not understand at this late stage that if you're required to be somewhere, and required to do something, then you should get paid for it.

Even if that somewhere is "home" and that something is "nothing".

blista compact
Mar 12, 2006
whats a fyad :(
Hey, does anyone have that command investigation report from the blue angels from like 2014 about the hilarious (and horrific) command climate?

Last time I saw it online was probably 4 or 5 years ago and I fear I wont be able to relive amazing moments like giant dicks painted on roofs or the skipper requesting nudes of his JOs partners (wtfff).

tia

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
I'm in Cabo, I'd rather be at home.

Fred Dawes
May 10, 2009

Welp, it's finally my last year of my 6-year enlisted contract ending this December. I just finished taps today and got an interview next week with the HOH Skill Bridge for a Google Data Analytics certificate. Any advice for a soon-to-be veteran?

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.

Fred Dawes posted:

Welp, it's finally my last year of my 6-year enlisted contract ending this December. I just finished taps today and got an interview next week with the HOH Skill Bridge for a Google Data Analytics certificate. Any advice for a soon-to-be veteran?

Document all medical poo poo. Everything. Look into VA claim pre discharge. I don't know that process, but I'm sure Google will be your friend.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Fred Dawes posted:

My friend you ever hear of the reserves???!?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Crab Dad posted:

My friend you ever hear of the reserves???!?

Don't do it, it's a trap!

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Fred Dawes posted:

Depending on your life situation it may be the most opportune time to use the GI Bill. If you don't have a wife/kids you may be able to live off the stipend alone, especially if you have a room mate or two. It is a lot harder to go back to school once you are working full time again.

Fred Dawes
May 10, 2009

Thanks for the sage advice, goons. I'll keep you updated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Get a digital copy of your med records to review BEFORE you go for your check out physical and go over it in detail so you can fill in the gaps if your corpsmen thought it was too hard to do their job and document your encounters