Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
The loss of face and the CCP reaction associated with the dumbass balloon thing is very funny to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
just the fact that a balloon dominated the news for a couple days is really funny

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Stink Billyums posted:

just the fact that a balloon dominated the news for a couple days is really funny

I just dont like how political it got.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
politics is how we decide how to apportion violence in society. it is the worst way except all the other ways.

difficult to see how a fired missile could be construed as anything but violence

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Stink Billyums posted:

balloon boy was better

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Ups_rail posted:

I just dont like how political it got.

how political were you expecting an international airspace incident to get, if you don't mind my asking?

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

NoiseAnnoys posted:

how political were you expecting an international airspace incident to get, if you don't mind my asking?

okay balloons are hard to control, So the plan of send a bunch of ballons to float over X place for spy reasons is just kinda hard for me to believe.

Also I know its china so its not like china will say to the international world "a mistake happaned" as in those were ballons for X reason and they happened to float that way. gently caress I remember they called the fruit flies they sent to the moon "lazy" instead of "dead"

Then the simple fact the balloon was very very high up. So shooting it down was hard. But then when it was over the ocean it was lower and within reach of missles.

But see trump said shoot it down, well if trump says something it must be bad and we should not shoot it down, but then biden shot it down and if biden shot it down then he s agreeing with trump which is a good thing/ bad thing.

In UPS_rails world of adults

China would say "hey thats a experimental metrological high altitude platform that belong to this organization....well bring them out to talk about....it seems the wind is gonna blow it over canada and USA and other other places"

USA: So a chinese high altitude ballow is flying over our nation were tracking it and working with its owners in china to see what its doing.

CHUDS: that balloon will activate the 5G covid vaccine and turn us all gay

MSM: please ignore the chuds/

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ups_rail posted:

okay balloons are hard to control, So the plan of send a bunch of ballons to float over X place for spy reasons is just kinda hard for me to believe.

Then the simple fact the balloon was very very high up. So shooting it down was hard. But then when it was over the ocean it was lower and within reach of missles.

The craft had some "thrusters" and had some maneuverability.

It could have easily been shot down sooner but I don't think anyone was comfortable shooting down something the size of 2 (3?) school busses over land.

The fact that that "lost control" of something so large is incredibly reckless and frankly a quite dangerous.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Ups_rail posted:

China would say "hey thats a experimental metrological high altitude platform that belong to this organization....well bring them out to talk about....it seems the wind is gonna blow it over canada and USA and other other places"

USA: So a chinese high altitude ballow is flying over our nation were tracking it and working with its owners in china to see what its doing.

Your bold assumption here is that it is in fact something meteorological and not something espionage related AND even if it was, that the US, their geopolitical rival (or any sovereign country) would totally just take the very reliable-and-definitely-acting-in-good-faith Chinese government at their word?

Like if it was Canadian or Australia or some other ally or neutral country, I could maybe see something like that happening while it would be awkward and a bit embarrassing, it probably wouldn’t rise to the level of potential “international flashpoint incident.”

Can you imagine the meltdown/hurt feelings from Beijing if the US did something like this?

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

sticksy posted:

Can you imagine the meltdown/hurt feelings from Beijing if the US did something like this?
Yes it would hurt the feelings of china very badly

Or if they couldnt shoot it down they wouldnt talk about it

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
My favorite part is China getting all huffy and saying they will now do the same if they find a spy balloon in their air space.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

sticksy posted:

The loss of face and the CCP reaction associated with the dumbass balloon thing is very funny to me

as a lurker in this thread and just having introduced myself to the loss of face thing, that does seem to explain it and i agree. Lol.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

sticksy posted:

Your bold assumption here is that it is in fact something meteorological and not something espionage related AND even if it was, that the US, their geopolitical rival (or any sovereign country) would totally just take the very reliable-and-definitely-acting-in-good-faith Chinese government at their word?

Like if it was Canadian or Australia or some other ally or neutral country, I could maybe see something like that happening while it would be awkward and a bit embarrassing, it probably wouldn’t rise to the level of potential “international flashpoint incident.”

if they had a meltdown four years ago it wasn't enough to be in the U.S. news

https://www.china-arms.com/2019/09/j-10c-shot-balloon-with-pl-10/

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001

bamhand posted:

My favorite part is China getting all huffy and saying they will now do the same if they find a spy balloon in their air space.

Relaunch the X-37b this weekend

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

bamhand posted:

The legacy of KA Flight 007 lives on

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
The china thread really help me understand face culture when a goon told the story about moving offices.

The movers came saw how big of a job it was and left.

The new building was still being finished, but it would totally be done on time.

The people running the show kept buying time by saying they were totally moving just wait....untill they couldnt stall anymore etc.

Which one of you was that?

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012

Ups_rail posted:

The china thread really help me understand face culture when a goon told the story about moving offices.

The movers came saw how big of a job it was and left.

The new building was still being finished, but it would totally be done on time.

The people running the show kept buying time by saying they were totally moving just wait....untill they couldnt stall anymore etc.

Which one of you was that?

sounds like a braindance or tga story™

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Ups_rail posted:

Also I know its china so its not like china will say to the international world "a mistake happaned" as in those were ballons for X reason and they happened to float that way. gently caress I remember they called the fruit flies they sent to the moon "lazy" instead of "dead"

But see trump said shoot it down, well if trump says something it must be bad and we should not shoot it down, but then biden shot it down and if biden shot it down then he s agreeing with trump which is a good thing/ bad thing.

CHUDS: that balloon will activate the 5G covid vaccine and turn us all gay

MSM: please ignore the chuds/

yeah that's not what would happen anywhere.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Any legit 'innocent' agency would notify local aerospace authorities about their poo poo entering their airspace.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Any legit 'innocent' agency would notify local aerospace authorities about their poo poo entering their airspace.

Any legit 'innocent' agency would also have been identified by this point, instead of the Chinese government continuing to dodge and weave every time they're asked who, exactly, the balloon belonged to anyway.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Porfiriato posted:

Any legit 'innocent' agency would also have been identified by this point, instead of the Chinese government continuing to dodge and weave every time they're asked who, exactly, the balloon belonged to anyway.

it;s a shame we made this political

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
The biggest lol is all the chuds going "Trump would never have allowed this!" and we find out that three of these loving things flew over during his term.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
And in serious, depressing and all-too-familiar news:

Roughly 1 million Tibetan children have been separated from their families and forcibly placed into state-run boarding schools

Good old "residential schools" nothing bad can happen at one of those, right?

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
Truly learned from the best.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Porfiriato posted:

but that agency was just a temp agency whose since moved on.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Roughly 1 million Tibetan children have been separated from their families and forcibly placed into state-run boarding schools

Three hots and a cot? Sounds like they must have done something right in a previous life

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

bamhand posted:

Does China have any missiles that don't start tumbling sideways as soon as they're fired? (https://www.reddit.com/r/Chinesium/comments/wcrxad/brandnew_chinese_qbz191_assault_rifles_cant_put/)

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Megillah Gorilla posted:

It's only bad when it's an instrument of Western imperialism™. If China does it, it's a generous subsidy from the enlightened CCP to usher in a new age of prosperous harmony.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/logka11/status/1621639081007489028

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
yeah theres a straight line path towards escalation and nobody read their fuckin clausewitz on either side looks like

thats my main bet for apocalypse currently

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

World war 3 didn’t start with nukes.

It started with rocks and maces.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

probably shouldn't have killed all those pesky traditional chinese martial artists during the great leap forward.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Games Workshop really upping the realism on their latest Astra Militarum models.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

NoiseAnnoys posted:

probably shouldn't have killed all those pesky traditional chinese martial artists during the great leap forward.

They should send Jackie Chan

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

mobby_6kl posted:

They should send Jackie Chan

Taiwan got Chang Dong Sheng in the expansion draft.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ym3y0iLpSE

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I cant help but think about a board with a nail in it

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I mean it makes perfect sense in that the primary purpose of the PLA and most non first world militaries is to kill protestors

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Ups_rail posted:

I cant help but think about a board with a nail in it

macuahuitl or bust

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Also, woof that is a gross russian twitter account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

I wonder how many Uighurs it took to develop that mace head.