Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Also if you're bored, a bunch of people are trying to make CB interesting again, and that's license-free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

drunk mutt posted:

I hate timezones

sorry :holy:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Miata install for your perusal

Took about 3 weeks to find and win an IC-208h (was going to be either that or an ID-4100a, both have the smallest control heads you can get) but i got a minty one with paperwork and original screws etc.

Antenna is mounted in the hole previously inhabited by the lovely XM sharkfin that i'll never, ever use. Near perfect fit for an NMO

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
That's :discourse:

KINEX
Sep 26, 2005

It was as close as I could get it.
Pillbug
I wanted a better way to take my ham equipment with with me when I travel so I made a go box. The box itself is a 13 inch deep 4U rack case with a couple of vented shelves installed so that the equipment can mount to something. The box also comes with front and back gasketed covers but I wouldn't trust them for anything other than light weather resistance. The IC-7300 and Anytone mobile radio are bolted to the 2U shelf at the bottom of the box while the Powerwerx power supply is mounted underneath the 1U shelf at the top.

To mount the IC-7300, I purchased a MB-118 mobile mounting bracket (which is meant for the IC-7200 but it works for the IC-7300 as well) while the Anytone mobile radio came with its own. Powerwerx sells a $10 mounting bracket kit for their desktop power supplies which was far more reasonably priced comparted to the MB-118 for the IC-7300.

In the future I may look to install a PWRgate to use with a lithium iron phosphate battery for portable power or to just act as a UPS. Overall, I'm pretty happy with how it turned out since the only thing I needed to modify was the Anytone bracket to accept a bigger bolt to mount it to the shelf.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Normally hate gO BoXeS but you did great. Rack form factor is the proper way.

emptyrave
May 13, 2022

Jonny 290 posted:

I know nothing about electricity or amateur radio and forgot I bookmarked this thread a while ago.
Are there bands (?) where people in an area can agree upon a certain channel that is the "Hey I'm in my car lol this is sick what's going on with you?" channel? I apologize for my ignorance :(.

I love the car and setup. I bookmarked this thread because I don't know how the radio works and I thought it'd be fun to learn... then never learned. When I imagine a radio like this on the road I just think of hearing/talking to truckers, so I was wondering if there was a way to talk to other enthusiasts on a designated channel.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

emptyrave posted:

I know nothing about electricity or amateur radio and forgot I bookmarked this thread a while ago.
Are there bands (?) where people in an area can agree upon a certain channel that is the "Hey I'm in my car lol this is sick what's going on with you?" channel? I apologize for my ignorance :(.

I love the car and setup. I bookmarked this thread because I don't know how the radio works and I thought it'd be fun to learn... then never learned. When I imagine a radio like this on the road I just think of hearing/talking to truckers, so I was wondering if there was a way to talk to other enthusiasts on a designated channel.

Are you licensed or using CB radio?

What you describe absolutely exists on CB radio, if you tell us what country you're in we can likely point you to the correct frequencies/channels for road chat.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

KINEX posted:

I wanted a better way to take my ham equipment with with me when I travel so I made a go box. The box itself is a 13 inch deep 4U rack case with a couple of vented shelves installed so that the equipment can mount to something. The box also comes with front and back gasketed covers but I wouldn't trust them for anything other than light weather resistance. The IC-7300 and Anytone mobile radio are bolted to the 2U shelf at the bottom of the box while the Powerwerx power supply is mounted underneath the 1U shelf at the top.

To mount the IC-7300, I purchased a MB-118 mobile mounting bracket (which is meant for the IC-7200 but it works for the IC-7300 as well) while the Anytone mobile radio came with its own. Powerwerx sells a $10 mounting bracket kit for their desktop power supplies which was far more reasonably priced comparted to the MB-118 for the IC-7300.

In the future I may look to install a PWRgate to use with a lithium iron phosphate battery for portable power or to just act as a UPS. Overall, I'm pretty happy with how it turned out since the only thing I needed to modify was the Anytone bracket to accept a bigger bolt to mount it to the shelf.

Badass…

What brand/model 4U rack did you get if you don’t mind me asking? I’m looking for something similar for a different purpose

KINEX
Sep 26, 2005

It was as close as I could get it.
Pillbug

Jonny 290 posted:

Looks very nice! How did you go an run the wires to the trunk? I think it would be fun to put a mobile radio into my 2000 NB Miata but I'm worried that the roadster's ATV-sized battery would not be able to handle it.

namlosh posted:

Badass…

What brand/model 4U rack did you get if you don’t mind me asking? I’m looking for something similar for a different purpose

I went with the following model for the case: Gator Cases Pro Series Rotationally Molded 4U Rack Case

I'm quite happy with the shorter 13" depth of the case but it was really hard to find a 2U shelf to fit in it. The only shallow 2U shelf that I could find was bought through Amazon. A 1U rack shelf may be possible but I wanted as much strength as I could get to accommodate the IC-7300. You can otherwise get the case with a 19" depth instead.

Jonny Quest
Nov 11, 2004

So now is not the time to launch an APRS balloon, right?

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
No, but it's a great time for F-22 spotters to launch one!

horse_ebookmarklet
Oct 6, 2003

can I play too?
Had some arts n crafts time, put some playdough and hot glue on my radio.
My first permanent mod!!

I added tip jacks to the 3.3v, 5v, and 8v power rails, at the main board and at the front panel. Now I can measure voltage drop in the flat flex cable.

Playdough I jammed into the text on the 3d print tipjack box to make it have some contrast. Looks... terrible.
Hot glue is such a mess. No control over blob size, poor surface wetting, and all the spindly spider web filaments.

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
That's a neatly done mod, I like blue wire snake coming out of the front panel!

But why on earth do you need to measure the cable voltage drop often enough to justify gluing banana plugs to your radio?

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

longview posted:

But why on earth do you need to measure the cable voltage drop often enough to justify gluing banana plugs to your radio?

My thought too- What's this accomplishing that it's worth hot snot all over a nice rig like that?

horse_ebookmarklet
Oct 6, 2003

can I play too?
Basically I have to make the measurements (between the motherboard and front panel) while the radio is on, and if I slipped with a multimeter probe by 0.6mm I'd instantly destroy the radio (short 8v to 3.3v).
I figure I have to take ~60 measurements (or maybe 120?)

As to the why, I am replacing the factory flex cable, and putting in two new ones jumping to my board.
I'm almost done putting my kit thing together, I need to qualify a appropriate flexs for doing it in volume. Hopefully something cheaper than the $20 Premium Molex FFCs I am using now.
I have 10 different potential flexes, 3 voltage rails to measure, at multiple screen brightness levels (low, mid, high). So thats 10x3x3 = 60 measurements right there. Depending on how the 8v rail is used this may multiply again to 120. I should write a test plan.

Before:

After kit install:

In Balloon news, some pretty plausible scenarios that the airforce shot down ham balloons, lol
https://www.rtl-sdr.com/the-us-airforce-may-have-shot-down-an-amateur-radio-pico-balloon-over-canada/

edit: also not banana plugs, tip jacks!!

horse_ebookmarklet fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Feb 16, 2023

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

horse_ebookmarklet posted:

Hot glue is such a mess. No control over blob size, poor surface wetting, and all the spindly spider web filaments.

Norland NEA 123 UV adhesive and a UV flashlight work well for wire tacking.

e: and if you want a temporary wire tack, Piccassio UV craft resin is very good. It makes a very hard, crystal clear, pretty glob of glue, but it's not very adhesive to the base material. Assuming the surface is smooth, you can pop it off with a utility knife or flush cutter.

ryanrs fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Feb 16, 2023

horse_ebookmarklet
Oct 6, 2003

can I play too?
Oh very cool.
The NEA 123, how shelf stable is it? Wondering how much to order, a bit more expensive.

I ordered the piccassio, pretty cheap per g.

edit: I do have some 2 part epoxy but the cure times make tacking a real pain. The UV cure sounds neat.

Crossbar
Jun 16, 2002
Chronic Lurker
Hi Goons, I haven't posted since Obama was president and nobody remembers me but I just wanted to let you know I'm still doing ham radio, specifically a lot of Parks on the Air. It's the most fun I've had doing radio and everyone with the means should give it a try.

Bye for another few presidential terms I guess.

Crossbar fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Feb 20, 2023

Walrusmaster
Sep 21, 2009

Crossbar posted:

Hi Goons, I haven't posted since Obama was president and nobody remembers me but I just wanted to let you know I'm still doing ham radio, specifically a lot of Parks on the Air. It's the most fun I've had doing radio and everyone with the means should give it a try.

Bye for another few presidential terms I guess.

What's up ham-radio-from-a-Chevy-bolt buddy:

Parks and summits on the air is awesome!

Crossbar
Jun 16, 2002
Chronic Lurker

Walrusmaster posted:

What's up ham-radio-from-a-Chevy-bolt buddy:

Parks and summits on the air is awesome!

Oh awesome. Have you found any QRM while operating inside? So far it's been quiet for me but I only do HF and only while stationary.

Walrusmaster
Sep 21, 2009
I haven't experienced any QRM, but I also operate stationary when I'm using the car, and off a separate battery/solar power source.

I planned to put a 2m/70cm redo in the car to use as an aprs repeater while I'm hiking, but the only radio I know of that will do that without an external computer is the Kenwood TM-D710GA, and those have become impossible to find unfortunately.

Jonny Quest
Nov 11, 2004

Walrusmaster posted:

I planned to put a 2m/70cm redo in the car to use as an aprs repeater while I'm hiking, but the only radio I know of that will do that without an external computer is the Kenwood TM-D710GA, and those have become impossible to find unfortunately.

The PicoAPRS can be used as a fill in repeater or as the hiking device itself.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

I vouch for Crossbar being a POTA monster

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
just chiming in with yet another successful sending of a radio signal

i wonder if the reason i cant recieve any signals up here is because everybody have their yagi antennas pointed at places where there actually are people using the 6 m band.

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
I got a fax machine for $10!

It prints on aluminized paper with an electric arc, with a bit of alignment and building an FM demodulator to drive it I can finally receive weather predictions in real-time!

Picture above shows the before/after sharpening and aligning the print heads.

Did a big writeup here: http://longview.be/the-nagrafax.html

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

1980’s? Wow I would have pegged that at 60’s tech just by it’s aesthetic

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

longview posted:

I got a fax machine for $10!

It prints on aluminized paper with an electric arc, with a bit of alignment and building an FM demodulator to drive it I can finally receive weather predictions in real-time!

Picture above shows the before/after sharpening and aligning the print heads.

Did a big writeup here: http://longview.be/the-nagrafax.html

:eyepop: What a find!

I had never heard of that aluminum vaporizing printing method before. That sounds OSHA as hell but as you say I can see how that would have useful properties at sea.

Unrelatedly, is there a post somewhere in-thread I'm not finding about recommendations? I'm definitely looking to replace my ancient handheld ICOM-82 and maybe get a more powerful mobile rig for the truck, but it looks like it's very easy to either buy some barely-designed trash or spend $800 on something with capabilities I will never use. All I've done with it is make voice contacts, but I could see potentially trying packet stuff in future and/or trying to get more involved in local emergency response.

tiaz fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Feb 27, 2023

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the thread is old enough that we usually just do ad-hoc recommendations as they are requested.

assuming you're looking for a 2m/70cm radio, basically anything from icom, yaesu or kenwood. The first two are definitely the most 'in the market', kenwood only has a few radios for sale any more and they're very expensive.

Some people do fine with the Wouxun type Chinese rigs; they're a lot better than baofengs from 10 years ago but the UI is always a bit weird and i hate really cheap LCD screens.

the ic-9700 is way too much radio for even me, dont worry about it. (still love mine tho)

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

tiaz posted:

:eyepop: What a find!

I had never heard of that aluminum vaporizing printing method before. That sounds OSHA as hell but as you say I can see how that would have useful properties at sea.

Unrelatedly, is there a post somewhere in-thread I'm not finding about recommendations? I'm definitely looking to replace my ancient handheld ICOM-82 and maybe get a more powerful mobile rig for the truck, but it looks like it's very easy to either buy some barely-designed trash or spend $800 on something with capabilities I will never use. All I've done with it is make voice contacts, but I could see potentially trying packet stuff in future and/or trying to get more involved in local emergency response.

i don't have any particular experience with mobile rigs (i've never even used one), but what is it that you want to do that your current rig will not let you do?

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

Jonny 290 posted:

the thread is old enough that we usually just do ad-hoc recommendations as they are requested.

assuming you're looking for a 2m/70cm radio, basically anything from icom, yaesu or kenwood. The first two are definitely the most 'in the market', kenwood only has a few radios for sale any more and they're very expensive.

Some people do fine with the Wouxun type Chinese rigs; they're a lot better than baofengs from 10 years ago but the UI is always a bit weird and i hate really cheap LCD screens.

the ic-9700 is way too much radio for even me, dont worry about it. (still love mine tho)

Cool, thank you. Yeah, I'm looking at 2m/70cm.

Achmed Jones posted:

i don't have any particular experience with mobile rigs (i've never even used one), but what is it that you want to do that your current rig will not let you do?

ah, I should've said - the IC-82 isn't dead but they're also no longer making stuff for it. I was initially motivated by getting a non-NiCad battery and discovered the platform was EOL. Mobile is a pretty vague thing but I like the idea of access to higher transmit power than 5W (and a more specialized antenna than I'd want to carry around), especially if I end up getting into local emergency stuff.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

tiaz posted:

Cool, thank you. Yeah, I'm looking at 2m/70cm.

Just quoting for context, not asking you since you're the one asking........

Isn't 2m/440 packet SSB? If so that's a whole different thing from what would normally be suggested for mobile rigs.

(sorry, I'm mostly HF with some voice VHF/UHF)

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
naw its all FM. some people gently caress with wsjt modes on 2m and those would be ssb, but FM will get you all the AFSK modes you need.

horse_ebookmarklet
Oct 6, 2003

can I play too?
gonna kramer into the thread again with my mod/project for the ic7300. to jog memory, I posted this youtube on it earlier in the thread.

I want to send 5 (free beta) units out into the world to get feedback and find problems.
If you would like some free problems, here is a form to fill:
https://forms.gle/QWSJV84gaJ1sfqacA

I am waiting on some screws and esd bags to complete the kits.

1 is ready to ship other than screws.
2 are assembled, needing test.
2 bare boards, get them assembled this week

edit: to be clear I am going to do a free, private beta. The form purpose is to indicate if you are interested

edit2: this will be open through about march 6th

horse_ebookmarklet fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Mar 1, 2023

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
you know i'm in

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

if i had a 7300 i'd be all over this. instead, i'll just cheer you on from the sidelines

evelyn87
Mar 20, 2009

We all can be only who we are, nothing more, no less.
I've taken an interest into understanding radio. I volunteer at a local fire department and historically they've had their own VHF/UHF "network" with repeaters they own. I'm an IT person so I never took time to understand how all of it works, I just threw some of their gear on their own vlan's and routed them across our IP network, what was actually being sent I have no idea and didn't really care to figure it out.

Fast forward. I stumbled upon a fascinating video of how to send and receive email via radio. For some reason this just blew my mind and now I'm trying to figure out how all of this works.

Some high-level questions I have.

I live on the side of a mountain, my house very fairly facing a metro area with the farthest point of that metro being 15 miles away. Is it feasible to provide an email service over UHF/VHF and how would they know this service exists?

I'm taking a guess that this email service would be restricted to people using similar software that is expecting unauthenticated emails (there is no larger identity and authentication framework, or is there?)

To that end, there's probably no way to relay emails by radio to internet addresses/domains in a reliable manner? (no spf, dkim, dns).

While this probably sounds ridiculous. I find that I learn by doing, and even a ridiculous project would hold my interest so that I can learn why it's ridiculous in the first place. I welcome any guidance. I'm trying to take in what makes sense and save for later the things I don't understand quite yet.

On the learn-the-basics front I'm considering an Icom 2730A for my vehicle, but I saw the Yaesu FTM-6000R has a data port that I'll need for email/terminal/data communication? If that's the case, would it be better to have the FTM both in the car as well at home/email service idea? Icom was attractive because of the ability to be tuned into multiple frequencies say repeater and simplex.

Thanks for listening. I think my excitement has led to another terrible post. chaa

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

I just think they're neat

evelyn87 posted:

I've taken an interest into understanding radio. I volunteer at a local fire department and historically they've had their own VHF/UHF "network" with repeaters they own. I'm an IT person so I never took time to understand how all of it works, I just threw some of their gear on their own vlan's and routed them across our IP network, what was actually being sent I have no idea and didn't really care to figure it out.

Fast forward. I stumbled upon a fascinating video of how to send and receive email via radio. For some reason this just blew my mind and now I'm trying to figure out how all of this works.

I live on the side of a mountain, my house very fairly facing a metro area with the farthest point of that metro being 15 miles away. Is it feasible to provide an email service over UHF/VHF and how would they know this service exists?

I'm taking a guess that this email service would be restricted to people using similar software that is expecting unauthenticated emails (there is no larger identity and authentication framework, or is there?)

To that end, there's probably no way to relay emails by radio to internet addresses/domains in a reliable manner? (no spf, dkim, dns).

While this probably sounds ridiculous. I find that I learn by doing, and even a ridiculous project would hold my interest so that I can learn why it's ridiculous in the first place. I welcome any guidance. I'm trying to take in what makes sense and save for later the things I don't understand quite yet.

On the learn-the-basics front I'm considering an Icom 2730A for my vehicle, but I saw the Yaesu FTM-6000R has a data port that I'll need for email/terminal/data communication? If that's the case, would it be better to have the FTM both in the car as well at home/email service idea? Icom was attractive because of the ability to be tuned into multiple frequencies say repeater and simplex.

Thanks for listening. I think my excitement has led to another terrible post. chaa

I don't think there is any frequency you could use to do this that wouldn't require every member taking part of it to be a license amateur.

Edit: Well, you COULD use 802.11 but that's really more in scope of the "IT aspect" on what you're setting up as a deliverable and ventures into this realm via "how do I properly distribute the signal"

Double Edit: What you're talking about is a WISP really more than using RF for sending messages al-la APRS/wspr/wsjx/etc.

drunk mutt fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Mar 1, 2023

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

It's not exactly email over radio but there exists an APRS to SMS gateway. APRS is a system for propagating packet data over amateur radio using 1200 baud modem tones. The protocol stack is a variant of X.25. I've been able to make it work with a $30 Baofeng handheld, an audio cable to my laptop, and some nifty software called Direwolf that emits and decodes modem noises through the sound card.

Of course, you do need to get your Technician license first in order to transmit legally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walrusmaster
Sep 21, 2009

evelyn87 posted:

There's absolutely a way to send email to the wider Internet, I do it all the time. It's more popular over HF, but there are definitely VHF users as well. Everyone involved does need to be a licensed amateur. Check out https://winlink.org/

If you were to set up a radio to Internet link at your location above the city I think that'd work really well. VHF works at great distances as long as you have line-of-sight (I can easily hit a repeater on the mountain 30 miles away) so lots of people would be able to use something at a location like you described.

Walrusmaster fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Mar 2, 2023