Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

smellmycheese posted:

Apologies for posting Dunt but he is in fact correct here lol

https://twitter.com/iandunt/status/1623584240603471874?s=46&t=nTtAKFBaAjNKTNdc5NULqw

Edit: for non 2000AD nerds

Nuke the whole country and watch the crime rate plummet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.

sebzilla posted:

Nuke the whole country and watch the crime rate plummet

Trying to make the UK a place of honor? Try this weird tip!

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

There's a Private Eye article floating around about how Lee Anderson is friends with a bunch of his constituency fash, a regular White Nationalist.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

josh04 posted:

There's a Private Eye article floating around about how Lee Anderson is friends with a bunch of his constituency fash, a regular White Nationalist.

To be fair, if he didn't get on with the local branch of the Conservatives he wouldn't be the MP.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

:hmmyes:

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

The education minister who is another wanker banker by trade, supports Lee Anderson. The people who got infiltrated at that conservative thing certainly look like Hampstead/Kilburn rich oval office types, unfortunately no one was glassed.

"The truth of me being a oval office stings so I better sip my chardo"

Hang them all.

Diet Crack fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Feb 9, 2023

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Rust Martialis posted:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1993_Canadian_federal_election

Conservatives went from a majority government (156/295 seats) to *two*.

This election actually killed the long-standing Conservative party in Canada until Harper came along and merged a few right parties. In-between those years the leading conservative party in parliament was... *checks notes* the Reform Party?!

EDIT: Another fun fact about this election is that the sitting PM, who was the first female PM in Canada's history (and only one since) gambled on a slightly earlier election basically as soon as she came into power. She only got more unpopular when the Conservatives decided to run an attack advert that was interpreted by the electorate that the head of the Liberal opposition was bad because he had Bells Palsy.

Very Truss of her.

Skull Servant fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Feb 9, 2023

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Am I just being a huge shithead by feeling really uncomfortable that my partner has gone to work today, despite being part of the UCU? Her reasoning is as follows:

1) Almost every strike day falls on days she teaches, and Thursdays in particular (such that if she did strike every day then one of her courses would have essentially zero lecture or seminar contact; it'd just be a blank space of a course)
2) We are in the middle of getting a mortgage, so now is not the time to be losing money (but honestly, we would be fine anyway)
3) The strikes have no chance of achieving anything anyway, just like all the other ones she has taken part in over the last five years or so (hard to argue with this, but also that's exactly what the university want her to feel/think)

and I'd say 1) is probably her biggest reason, her students mean everything to her.

She asked me about it a couple weeks ago because she was in paroxysms about it, and she said that she just didn't want me to think less of her if she did go to work. I told her that I'm not in the same position as her so I'm in no position to judge; that it's an agonising decision with no good answers; but that if she does decide to scab (because that's what it is whichever way you slice it) then she should leave the union, because it's not fair to get the protections and privileges while undermining one's comrades. I also said that it sounded like she'd already admitted defeat, in her heart, and that if that was the case then there wasn't a lot either of us could say or do about it anyway, which she agreed with.

We didn't really come to any conclusions and we haven't really talked about it since. She went on strike last Wednesday but she already had that day free of teaching/admin anyway, so it was essentially just not checking her emails. She's talked about striking some days, maybe, just not Thursdays, but hasn't really decided.

I'd just kinda put it out of my mind until this morning when it came down to the crunch.

I feel like I'm being a judgemental arsehole but I'm also trying to remember that I'm allowed to have Feelings about it all, though I should probably keep them to myself

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

At the end of the day your partner is being dangled a stick with no carrot then being told to loving educate these same cunts' children to a standard. gently caress it all, who cares. Strike when you want, earn when you want. Nothing is going to change and we know this country is so endeared with Stockholm Syndrome that it's never going to eventuate to anything other than internal fighting, which is the exact end game this whole system wants to create. Same under secretary and education ministers saying they support people like Lee Anderson, while systematically voting against school meals and a better future for children.

They're all parasites so I don't blame your partner for wanting to just get on with it, as having worked in a university and having dealt with Unison as representation for professional services - UCU seems way better but at the end of the day most of them are increasingly tame and useless. Picket lines are just picket lines, majority of students don't seem to give a poo poo. There's also a lot of international students who aren't overly effected by internal UK policy and are paying the absolute highest amount of money to attend universities here already. My experience is in London though, so there's a rift of it being probably worse than those unis outside of London. It's the entire board mentality and running education as a business to make lines and margins fit instead of providing a service and opportunity for knowledge and progress. Couple that with sharting research grants up the wall and it's just a big loving cash cow now and I'm glad I left it.

e: Standards are noticeably slipping though, the only thing keeping UK uni tables high is the actual teaching from uni lecturers and staff. The rest of the experience for students must be an absolute joke.

Diet Crack fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Feb 9, 2023

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Barry Foster posted:

Am I just being a huge shithead by feeling really uncomfortable that my partner has gone to work today, despite being part of the UCU? Her reasoning is as follows:

1) Almost every strike day falls on days she teaches, and Thursdays in particular (such that if she did strike every day then one of her courses would have essentially zero lecture or seminar contact; it'd just be a blank space of a course)
2) We are in the middle of getting a mortgage, so now is not the time to be losing money (but honestly, we would be fine anyway)
3) The strikes have no chance of achieving anything anyway, just like all the other ones she has taken part in over the last five years or so (hard to argue with this, but also that's exactly what the university want her to feel/think)

and I'd say 1) is probably her biggest reason, her students mean everything to her.

idk what it's like for her students, but locally here a lot of students have apparently been v supportive of the strikes, and been out on the picket line in support of the staff. So even if someone did go to work still, a bunch of their students wouldn't be there due to the strike.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Barry Foster posted:

she should leave the union, because it's not fair to get the protections and privileges while undermining one's comrades

What's the point of the union if not that? I've never been in a union but I gather strikes aren't known for being convenient for those participating.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

What's the point of the union if not that? I've never been in a union but I gather strikes aren't known for being convenient for those participating.

Perhaps I worded that wrong (or I'm misunderstanding what you're saying) - what I meant was that, basically, if you're not willing to go to the bat when it's time to strike - if you're not going to show solidarity to your co-workers and comrades - then you shouldn't then also be a free-rider in terms of union benefits and protection. It's one thing to scab while you're not in the union - it's surely worse when you are?

She does pay her contributions, which does complicate it somewhat, I suppose

But otherwise I do take the point about the probable absolute futility of industrial action in this country in general and this sector in particular

Danger - Octopus! posted:

idk what it's like for her students, but locally here a lot of students have apparently been v supportive of the strikes, and been out on the picket line in support of the staff. So even if someone did go to work still, a bunch of their students wouldn't be there due to the strike.

That'd be great and might actually give her the push she needs to Actually Strike

but on the other hand this is The University of Exeter lol

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

smellmycheese posted:

Apologies for posting Dunt but he is in fact correct here lol

https://twitter.com/iandunt/status/1623584240603471874?s=46&t=nTtAKFBaAjNKTNdc5NULqw

Edit: for non 2000AD nerds

Lee Anderson was also the MP who posted a video clip/tweet about a woman who worked for him that was basically "look at her. She earns minimum wage and can still afford to live somewhere. Also, she is quite submissive and breedable!"

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Barry Foster posted:

She asked me about it a couple weeks ago because she was in paroxysms about it, and she said that she just didn't want me to think less of her if she did go to work. I told her that I'm not in the same position as her so I'm in no position to judge; that it's an agonising decision with no good answers; but that if she does decide to scab (because that's what it is whichever way you slice it) then she should leave the union, because it's not fair to get the protections and privileges while undermining one's comrades. I also said that it sounded like she'd already admitted defeat, in her heart, and that if that was the case then there wasn't a lot either of us could say or do about it anyway, which she agreed with.

We didn't really come to any conclusions and we haven't really talked about it since. She went on strike last Wednesday but she already had that day free of teaching/admin anyway, so it was essentially just not checking her emails. She's talked about striking some days, maybe, just not Thursdays, but hasn't really decided.

I'd just kinda put it out of my mind until this morning when it came down to the crunch.

I feel like I'm being a judgemental arsehole but I'm also trying to remember that I'm allowed to have Feelings about it all, though I should probably keep them to myself

As a student in the late 70s when the Students' Union were calling us all out on strike every other week, I do feel for your wife. As a STEM student, we had 20+ hours of lectures and labs a week, and those of us with any computing courses were still using punched cards which could only be done in the computer labs.
The people who kept calling the strikes were all arty-farts who had 2 lectures a week and could sit behind the barricades doing their course reading and essay writing. This was in the days long before laptops, internets and so on so there was no way STEM students could keep up other than go in.
We used to sneak in the back so we weren't technically crossing the picket lines.
It is a dilemma for wannabe comrades. Only she can decide. Don't smother your feelings, but they are your feelings and acknowledge hers.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
It's ok, the MP and deputy of the party doesn't have anything to do with the government.

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1623616857604333569?s=20

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I don’t know how universal it is but my dad who is a UCU member and former rep has been bitterly complaining for the past 5+ years that the union goes on strike without any strategy or feasible, reasonable demands, and that the leadership will ballot for strike action based on smaller obtainable goals but then pivot to unachieveable ones once the strike begins. He talks a lot about fears that the union is going to end up destroying itself because more and more members are getting fed up of striking but feel unable to speak against it, and he’s frustrated that the union seems categorically unwilling to consider industrial action short of a strike like working to rule because it doesn’t produce pictures of picket lines you can put on Twitter.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Barry Foster posted:

Perhaps I worded that wrong (or I'm misunderstanding what you're saying) - what I meant was that, basically, if you're not willing to go to the bat when it's time to strike - if you're not going to show solidarity to your co-workers and comrades - then you shouldn't then also be a free-rider in terms of union benefits and protection.

I was agreeing with you on this. It's unfair to be taking all the benefits and not making the sacrifices that others are making. Paying dues seems almost immaterial, I thought the power of a union came from solidarity, not the money that keeps the lights on.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

I was agreeing with you on this. It's unfair to be taking all the benefits and not making the sacrifices that others are making. Paying dues seems almost immaterial, I thought the power of a union came from solidarity, not the money that keeps the lights on.

Ah right, yeah, got you. Agree entirely.

Reveilled posted:

I don’t know how universal it is but my dad who is a UCU member and former rep has been bitterly complaining for the past 5+ years that the union goes on strike without any strategy or feasible, reasonable demands, and that the leadership will ballot for strike action based on smaller obtainable goals but then pivot to unachieveable ones once the strike begins. He talks a lot about fears that the union is going to end up destroying itself because more and more members are getting fed up of striking but feel unable to speak against it, and he’s frustrated that the union seems categorically unwilling to consider industrial action short of a strike like working to rule because it doesn’t produce pictures of picket lines you can put on Twitter.

My partner has said a lot of similar things

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Feb 9, 2023

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/doctordeej/status/1623219531450576897

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
readers of the Chad, a local paper

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Fluke Dudley

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/EddieBurfi/status/1623628833755738117

:allears:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Feel comfortable speculating that he has committed acts of domestic violence

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Photogenic spidey tax

Found chilling on a road sign this summer.

For tattoo designs:

Waving at me cutely:

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 17 days!

Late to the party, but how was this not posted?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1ny4htl22s

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

The least successful of the Dudley Boyz.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

That Lawrence Fox story is also from last year. The clue is in the 'From 2022' yellow label in the image.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

WHO INVENTED THE SKIP?

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Honestly, some people.

https://twitter.com/cheqiula/status/1623130682548445184?cxt=HHwWgICz1bGwwoYtAAAA

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
having a pronounced coke sniff and repeatedly mardily asking the journalist if they ever told a lie is certainly an interesting interview technique

the societal oppression machine is staffed by such loving low effort shits

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

https://twitter.com/TheIFS/status/1623583979843751937?s=20

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Man of the people.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

smellmycheese posted:

Man of the people.

He's not tall enough to ride

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
In Tory britain, the shitpipes are above ground

(temporarily )

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Wellingturd Arch

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

sinky posted:

In Tory britain, the shitpipes are above ground

(temporarily )

That’s ripe for some Augustus Gloop style shenanigans

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/BBCBreaking/status/1623670733518823425

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

This guy beat Nick Clegg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Christ, that mugshot looks like it should be under a "Career burglar jailed after robbing three homes in one night" sort of headline.