Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Hersh showed his whole rear end when he claimed that Brown Moses was fabricating evidence of Syrian chlorine bombs.

He's gone the way of Chomsky, where America= bad, anyone opposing America = resistance.

:page3:

The X-man cometh fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Feb 9, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 5 days!)

CommieGIR posted:

If anything its concerning that an investigative journalist as import as Seymour would push this idea, he has a good track record

Not since Reagan was president, as far as I can see.

By 2010 he'd clearly gone into conspiracy theories.

But the 1970's? Hell yes.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

CommieGIR posted:

If anything its concerning that an investigative journalist as import as Seymour would push this idea, he has a good track record but the whole article reads as speculation rather than evidence based fact.

his track record for the last 13 years is dogshit, he was the most prominent person carrying water for the claim that Assad was not behind the Ghouta Sarin attacks

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Herstory Begins Now posted:

UK says they're going to train Ukrainian pilots on NATO fighters

article:
https://www.ft.com/content/ff8dda4d-9986-4e7b-b57b-2ba2db912d81
https://archive.is/i9Ge9

About drat time.

I recall listening to an OSINT podcast discussing the war that had a former UK MoD consultant on talking about training Ukrainians on NATO fighter jets.

The major criticism against it was "training would take 6 months" but the episode was August '22, so their response was "yes and if we had started training them in February they would ready by now."

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

The X-man cometh posted:

Hersh showed his whole rear end when he claimed that Brown Moses was fabricating evidence of Syrian chlorine bombs.

He's gone the way of Chomsky, where America= bad, anyone opposing America = resistance.

What's his CSPAM handle?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

CommieGIR posted:

If anything its concerning that an investigative journalist as import as Seymour would push this idea, he has a good track record but the whole article reads as speculation rather than evidence based fact.

He may have once been a serious journalist but he's been an InfoWarsy moron for quite a while now. Nothing he says should be taken seriously ever.

Like I wouldn't be shocked if it turned out the US blew up the pipeline but I'm not going to believe him about it.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Feb 8, 2023

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
His track record is pretty bad lately. Disputes OCPW and chemical weapons in Syria, has a weird account on Osama, made some claims very clearly then later said he was representing the story, not the facts, etc.

Here it’s an even weirder reach, because Russia already said the UK was behind the nord stream pipeline sabotage.

E: beaten a lot

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

mlmp08 posted:

His track record is pretty bad lately. Disputes OCPW and chemical weapons in Syria, has a weird account on Osama, made some claims very clearly then later said he was representing the story, not the facts, etc.

Here it’s an even weirder reach, because Russia already said the UK was behind the nord stream pipeline sabotage.

Yeah this does seem to be the trend. He's largely ruined his credentials.

Grand Fromage posted:

Like I wouldn't be shocked if it turned out the US blew up the pipeline but I'm not going to believe him about it.

This was my view: Right now we have no conclusive evidence that either the US or Russia blew it up. Somebody did, but this article isn't the conclusive proof he pretends it is.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

mlmp08 posted:

i agree re: the uk. Makes no sense for russia to say it was the uk if supposedly there was all this evidence it was actually america.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

I've been following the debates on Nord Stream fairly closely, because in the absence of any concrete evidence, it's a fascinating ideological Rorschach test. But the most insightful take I've seen is still Anders Puck Nielsen's, from fairly early:

https://youtu.be/hk-0qJXyido

He's a Danish military analyst and former naval officer, so this is pretty much his wheelhouse. He was also one of the people who correctly called Putin's invasion ahead of time.

Hannibal Rex fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Feb 8, 2023

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

They lost all credibility by calling Panama City a booming resort city. That was true for about three weeks a year in the late 90s.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Stepping back and analyzing it in context, the US would have gained nothing by blowing up the pipeline, particularly since it was already effectively dead and Germany was already sourcing gas from other places. US actions so far have been extremely rational, if a bit conservative; it really isn't the kind of move that would be in keeping with the current administration's approach to things. If I had to speculate, I'd say one of the Baltic nations might have been more inclined to do it just to register their extreme displeasure at German intransigence.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

The X-man cometh posted:

Oh poo poo, that was him? Sheeeet I’d have never thought twice if I remembered he was on that loving kick.

Kallikaa
Jun 13, 2001
When and why if you know did 'Warfighter' instead of soldier become common?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Soldier means army. Warfighter is less of a mouthfull than “Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, Marines” (plus coasties and ~*Guardians*~) so warfighter was an easy term for all possible users. Probably includes select agencies as well.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

I heard it used in the GWoT era to distinguish between combat roles and the rest of the support, logistics, maintenance, etc. roles that are done by the military.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Warfighter only meant one thing to me- more field time and a greater-than-average percentage of being jerked around by changing priorities each day for an exercise that seemed to be making it up as they went along

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
https://twitter.com/TheStudyofWar/status/1623510800819187714?t=g2oC4jqSADypv_olAuSlrw&s=19

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Kallikaa posted:

I'm writing this counseling statement as a result of FP Kallikaa's failure to give due respect to his fellow Service Members by neglecting to capitalize Soldier.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Kallikaa posted:

Honestly, I never heard the term until 2020, when I arrived to my unit and got spun up on Warfighting Functions (WFf) and preparing the following year for Command Post Exercises, culminating in a capstone exercise called Warfighter.

If I drowned myself in doctrine, I would have heard it earlier, but it all screams Large Scale Combat Operations to me.

Edit: also, because WFf encompassed mission command, intelligence, fires, maneuver, sustainment, and protection, I figure folks attribute the term "warfighter" to folks associated with any of those tasks.

Bell_ fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Feb 9, 2023

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
I'm not sure if this video will be geoblocked, but Flemish television published this video from the frontlines near Sumy. Is it me or is that a DP28 at 00:56

https://www.vrt.be/vrtnws/nl/kijk/2...rvato_55152871/

EDIT:

Fragrag fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Feb 9, 2023

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Had to do a quick double take that they're fighting over Sakko i Vantsetti, the 1920s Soviet Union was a wild place.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

lmao

quote:

Norway was one of the original signatories of the NATO Treaty in 1949, in the early days of the Cold War. Today, the supreme commander of NATO is Jens Stoltenberg, a committed anti-communist, who served as Norway’s prime minister for eight years before moving to his high NATO post, with American backing, in 2014. He was a hardliner on all things Putin and Russia who had cooperated with the American intelligence community since the Vietnam War.

Stoltenberg was 14 when the Vietnam War ended. Also I'm not sure how you get to 'committed anti-communist' from the former leader of the Norwegian Labour Party.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
someone called that piece 'literal fan fiction' and that's a good summary of it

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
What on gods green earth did he do that was so great that people are even remotely entertaining him

Cuz I hear the same with greenwald and supposedly he did a thing in Brazil

LightRailTycoon
Mar 24, 2017

Alan Smithee posted:

What on gods green earth did he do that was so great that people are even remotely entertaining him

He broke the story of the My Lai Massacre, the secret bombing of Cambodia, project azorian, and Abu Ghraib.

The roots of his current crank status were always there, in 1986 he blamed the KAL shoot down on “Soviet incompetence and US intelligence operations confusing soviet air defense “

LightRailTycoon fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Feb 9, 2023

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

in a well actually posted:

I heard it used in the GWoT era to distinguish between combat roles and the rest of the support, logistics, maintenance, etc. roles that are done by the military.

In British terms this is the "Teeth Arms" which is an amusingly stupid expression. Combat (Infantry and Armour) and Combat Support (Artillery and Engineers).

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

knox_harrington posted:

In British terms this is the "Teeth Arms" which is an amusingly stupid expression. Combat (Infantry and Armour) and Combat Support (Artillery and Engineers).

I had always thought “armed to the teeth” was a weird saying, but I’m guessing there’s a relationship and extremely dumb story between that phrase and “teeth arms” (being the British are involved and all).

Also now I’m imagining an octopus with teeth for arms and it’s cracking me up in public, so thanks for that :laffo:

e: warfighter was already established in 2010 in Fairbanks, it’ll be one of those weird legacy terms from GWoT that sticks around and everyone (maybe already?) forgets where exactly it came from.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Rude Dude With Tude posted:

Stoltenberg was 14 when the Vietnam War ended. Also I'm not sure how you get to 'committed anti-communist' from the former leader of the Norwegian Labour Party.

Nah, this is my new headcanon now. Stoltenberg, child soldier, fighting the communists in the jungles of vietnam

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Alan Smithee posted:

Greenwald took the credit for the Snowden leaks (despite there being a bunch of journalists involved between two news organizations) and founded an investigative news website that he wound up rage quitting when they contradicted his Tankie views. He lives in self-imposed exile in Brazil, where he makes frequent appearances on right wing news outlets spouting Russian propaganda.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Kallikaa posted:

When I got out in the mid-90s, the word 'Warfighter', really didn't exist, so I'm blaming the GWoT and the Rah Rah war good White House for it.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Rude Dude With Tude posted:

lmao

Well, DNA has been rabidly anti-communist since Gerhardsen's speech at Kråkerøy. And committed whole-heartedly to NATO. Doesn't make Hersch any less of a dumb dick.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Xakura posted:

Nah, this is my new headcanon now. Stoltenberg, child soldier, fighting the communists in the jungles of vietnam

Kidmando had more confirmed kills before morning recess than most gis had all tour.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Alan Smithee posted:

Yep, grooming an impoverished 19 year old from a developing country sure is “a thing” that he did.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

When I got out in the mid-90s, the word 'Warfighter', really didn't exist, so I'm blaming the GWoT and the Rah Rah war good White House for it.

FMFM-1 was (is?) named "Warfighting" and was first published in 1989 so I think you can blame the Marines for this one.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Murgos posted:

FMFM-1 was (is?) named "Warfighting" and was first published in 1989 so I think you can blame the Marines for this one.

It’s this. The attempt by the marine corps to not use the word soldier in any context other than “professional soldiering” as a discipline.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
"Servicemember" is what always comes to my mind when I think of a broad term for military personnel. But obviously that's not hardcore operator enough.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

Herstory Begins Now posted:

his track record for the last 13 years is dogshit, he was the most prominent person carrying water for the claim that Assad was not behind the Ghouta Sarin attacks

I saw an OSINT guy on Twitter go through the public data on ship and airplance movement, and none of the Norwegian or US ships he claims were involved are documented as being in the area.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

therobit posted:

Yep, grooming an impoverished 19 year old from a developing country sure is “a thing” that he did.

Specifically a homeless teen that he then married

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Notahippie posted:

I saw an OSINT guy on Twitter go through the public data on ship and airplance movement, and none of the Norwegian or US ships he claims were involved are documented as being in the area.

Why let facts get in the way of a good story about how the Great Satan continues to pull all the strings lol