Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Delpino
May 12, 2001
Forum Veteran

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

It's OK, you don't need to walk around in circles about it.
Hey, just step aside and let the man go through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

car dance posted:

Am I missing something, why would anyone say they'd ban crime? Isn't crime already banned? Is he making a joke that I'm missing? Does he understand?

Ben also said that people in Florida can sell their homes when rising sea levels put them underwater so it's not even bad anyway.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Inceltown posted:

Ben also said that people in Florida can sell their homes when rising sea levels put them underwater so it's not even bad anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHZFwZ-a8kI

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Ror posted:

OK, I'll bite, what is Unix time if not seconds from the start of the Unix epoch? I am a dumb normie and it seems like wikipedia is telling me that's exactly what it is.

If you counted seconds since 00:00:00 on 1 January 1970, you would find your count ahead of Unix time on most computers by twenty‑seven seconds.

Unix time treats all days as having 86400 seconds. This is not always strictly true.

Under UTC, December 31 2016 did not have 86400 seconds. It had 86401 seconds. 23:59:59 was followed not by 00:00:00 of the next day, but by 23:59:60.

The way that Unix time represents UTC isn’t to entirely ignore the lap second and keep counting, but to create ambiguous timestamps.

The time “1483228799” covers a period of two metric seconds. How much time elapsed between measurements made at “1483228700” and “1483228880”? Why, that would be one hundred and eighty‐one seconds.

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 03:38 on Feb 9, 2023

Kei Technical
Sep 20, 2011

Platystemon posted:

The way that Unix time represents UTC isn’t to entirely ignore the The time “1483228799” covers a period of two metric seconds. How much time elapsed between measurements made at “1483228700” and “1483228980”? Why, that would be one hundred and eighty‐one seconds.

Time really is the worst dimension. I have a friend who worked on some synchronization stuff with LIGO, and time only gets way worse the more you look at it

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

It really was a mistake.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Kei Technical posted:

Time really is the worst dimension. I have a friend who worked on some synchronization stuff with LIGO, and time only gets way worse the more you look at it

When it comes down to it, we care about time because it relates to the universe around us, and the universe is shockingly irregular.

Leap seconds exist because Earth is slowing in its rotation, mostly because the Moon is stealing its angular momentum, but with unpredictable short‐term variation due to changing mass distribution on Earth. The same tectonic shifts that we feel as earthquakes make measurable changes to how fast Earth spins. Even climate change is having effects

You can’t both fix the second to a physical constant (as SI does, realized in atomic clocks) and have all days be 86400 seconds long on a planet whose day–night cycle changes. Something has to give.

The current bureaucratic consensus is to abolish leap seconds in UTC, which at first blush doesn’t solve anything. What it does do is trick everyone into moving to what is effectively TAI or GPS time, despite having specified UTC±x as the nation’s official time in their legal codes.

This will kick the can down the road long enough that it’s a problem for CyberPope Gregory XIII in the twenty‐second century.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Why don't we just change time so that it matches reality rather than trying to distort reality to match time? Seems like we could fix that easy as long as we just get everyone on the planet to agree to this new system.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Inceltown posted:

Why don't we just change time so that it matches reality rather than trying to distort reality to match time? Seems like we could fix that easy as long as we just get everyone on the planet to agree to this new system.

This is the precise opposite of what we should be doing, which is building space elevators so that we can bend the Earth’s angular momentum to our will.

nashona
May 8, 2014

Though she be but little, she is fierce

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Moh7DXMk8g

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

You loving people and your loving derails about the dumbest poo poo

Lol

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Mx. posted:

Lol

Hey, look: it's about time.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

https://twitter.com/repmtg/status/1623370535634669577?s=46&t=TqO-IgB2WGquDyTq6XMlvA

Ok so not a particularly idiotic tweet given who it is, but when the Oxford comma fails it can be pretty funny.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Inceltown posted:

The problem is that there are two durations that are the important ones for tracking time (the time it takes the earth to rotate and the time it takes the earth to revolve around the sun) and the one duration doesn't fit evenly into the other

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

The problem is that computers need greater precision than "like half an hour after sunrise" or "around noon"

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Mx. posted:

Lol

it's trite, but sometimes the idiots on social media are the friends enemies you made along the way by arguing about the dumbest poo poo

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Piell posted:

The problem is that there are two durations that are the important ones for tracking time (the time it takes the earth to rotate and the time it takes the earth to revolve around the sun) and the one duration doesn't fit evenly into the other

If only it were that simple.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
ground floor on this new derail

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Piell posted:

Then we just need to change the number system to one that allows it to match up.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
just explode the earth, that solves every problem

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

kirbysuperstar posted:

ground floor on this new derail

Oh good, the first floor!

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Some home grown IOSM
https://twitter.com/wolicyponk/status/1564419509993488387?t=CR6B9k7-lrbzF5Li1cNxHQ&s=19

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

We wouldn't have this loving derail if we'd just adopted Swatch Internet Time as god intended

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I'm pretty sure SuperMechaGodzilla is the greatest poster of all time.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

We wouldn't have this loving derail if we'd just adopted Swatch Internet Time as god intended

phantasy star online was RIGHT dammit

I did really really want a beats watch in my early teens..

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

kirbysuperstar posted:

phantasy star online was RIGHT dammit

I did really really want a beats watch in my early teens..

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

FFT posted:

The problem is that computers need greater precision than "like half an hour after sunrise" or "around noon"

You say that, but do they really? Honestly, society would be a lot better if we ditched the clocks and just did everything off gut feeling. "Store hours: after I finish eating breakfast until I get hungry again."

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
stupid question but given how small "ticks" of the caesium atom are, why didnt they just make it a nice round number. hell find another element that's closest to 12 trillion so a trillion teraseconds is the second.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

The H4 design marine chronometer is plenty accurate. If it was good enough for Captain Cook, it's good enough for me.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Kenning posted:

I'm pretty sure SuperMechaGodzilla is the greatest poster of all time.

He was usually terrible but the Mace Windu post is fine art.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

PhazonLink posted:

stupid question but given how small "ticks" of the caesium atom are, why didnt they just make it a nice round number. hell find another element that's closest to 12 trillion so a trillion teraseconds is the second.

You couldn’t round it by much without major problems.

Its present value is 9 192 631 770.

If you rounded it to, say, 9 190 000 000, which is really not very round at all, you’d be accumulating about a half minute of error per day. A year from now, solar noon occurs at about 9:30 in the morning. Within five years, noon and midnight have swapped.

nashona
May 8, 2014

Though she be but little, she is fierce

prepare to fast forward

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRGCZh5A8T4

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Kei Technical posted:

The more we look into it, the clearer it is that counting and measuring things in general is a tremendous mistake. Many are saying this.

Platystemon posted:

You couldn’t round it by much without major problems.

Its present value is 9 192 631 770.

If you rounded it to, say, 9 190 000 000, which is really not very round at all, you’d be accumulating about a half minute of error per day. A year from now, solar noon occurs at about 9:30 in the morning. Within five years, noon and midnight have swapped.
bring it on

steinrokkan has a new favorite as of 08:17 on Feb 9, 2023

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Captain Monkey posted:

dumb and bad Americans are (...) dumb and bad (...) terrible

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Karia posted:

You say that, but do they really? Honestly, society would be a lot better if we ditched the clocks and just did everything off gut feeling. "Store hours: after I finish eating breakfast until I get hungry again."
Yes, as has been extensively covered, processor clock time is why Turbo buttons existed

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

DJ Fuckboy Supreme posted:

Stop listening to americans everyone

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Karia posted:

Need to abolish capitalism first, I sure as hell am not accepting payment for "time management figures I've been working".

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Kei Technical posted:

Small world, I have a friend on the LIGO team

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Baron von Eevl posted:

Oh good, the first floor!

This is anti-lobby rhetoric. You lobbyist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Karia posted:

Brian Wilson opened a health food store in 1969 and operated it himself. He didn't like schedules so he'd just kind of open it when he felt like it, usually after dinner. It folded within a year.