Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Strong Sauce posted:

there are already so many good games.. why would you play one where there's no clear objective or even... an actual game.

can you really even call these games?

Eeehhhh, from what I saw of that monkey butthole game they at least pass the minimum bar for 90s era flash game. Like, what I saw some dude on Youtube playing wasn't all that different from me piloting a fighter jet around asteroids in my middle school's computer lab.

It's just a bad game, doubly so in 2022.

poo poo would have been pretty interesting in 1996, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Cyrano4747 posted:

Eeehhhh, from what I saw of that monkey butthole game they at least pass the minimum bar for 90s era flash game. Like, what I saw some dude on Youtube playing wasn't all that different from me piloting a fighter jet around asteroids in my middle school's computer lab.

It's just a bad game, doubly so in 2022.

thats because they literally copied the source code for what was essentially a 90s era flash game

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Elias_Maluco posted:

The objetive in all these crypto/NTF games seems to be to make money (real money) by collecting whatevers and be awarded some NFT poo poo you can sell and what not

No you see it's actually a game of skill, not an illegal lottery

The skill is spending 3 minutes to code an undetectable bot that always plays perfectly

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

evilweasel posted:

thats because they literally copied the source code for what was essentially a 90s era flash game

this is the "invention" part of the process.

"Nobody will remember this 30 year old piece of poo poo game from newgrounds, so let's put it into a monkey's anus and charge people $5000 in crypto to play it with a chance to win (unspecified bullshit)". Now we're in the middle between the gamers and the money, and.....now for phase 2 in our profit plan!

Phase 1: reinvent the wheel
Phase 2: ???
Phase 3: profits

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
want to play pico's school but with some NFT bullshit

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Flash hentai games, but it's about jizzing crypto and going to the moon or someshit.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Can you imagine trying to explain the internet to someone from 1996?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

ultrafilter posted:

Imagine if a bunch of con artists sold fake Marlboro Miles to unemployed Amway salesmen and convinced them it was recession proof.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

ultrafilter posted:

It's like Compuserve but faster and has more stuff.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Darth Brooks posted:

It's like Compuserve but faster and has more stuff*.

*no refunds on unwanted stuff

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

ultrafilter posted:

First off, there’s this gaping butthole . . .

drk
Jan 16, 2005
https://twitter.com/AP_Abacus/status/1623346563069116417

OK, lets not just trust a random tweet.... But, Fed Board released this yesterday: https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/FR-2023-02-07/pdf/2023-02192.pdf

A document I didnt read all of posted:

The Board has not identified any authority permitting national banks to hold most crypto-assets, including bitcoin and ether, as principal in any amount, and there is no federal statute or rule expressly permitting state banks to hold crypto-assets as principal. Therefore, the Board would presumptively prohibit state member banks from engaging in such activity

RIP crypto banks

drk
Jan 16, 2005
continuing for those who care

Board of the Federal Reserve posted:

The Board believes this presumption is bolstered by safety and soundness concerns. The Financial Stability Oversight Council has observed that, in the absence of a fundamental economic use case, the value of most crypto-assets is driven largely by sentiment and future expectations, and not by cash flows from providing goods or services outside the crypto-asset ecosystem. This prevents firms that hold crypto- assets from engaging in prudent risk management based on the underlying value of most crypto-assets, their anticipated discounted cash flows, or the historic behavior of the relevant markets. Moreover, the crypto-asset sector—which is globally dispersed—is largely unregulated or noncompliant with regulation from a market-conduct perspective, and issuers are often not subject to or not compliant with disclosure and accounting requirements. This opacity may make it difficult or impossible to assess market and counterparty exposure risks. Further, engagement in crypto-asset transactions can present significant illicit finance risks, in part due to the pseudonymity of transactors and validators. Finally, crypto-assets that are issued or transacted on open, public, and/or decentralized ledgers may involve significant cybersecurity risks

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

Tons of people have good ideas. I"m sure I've had a good idea for a video game or two while taking a poo poo.

Ideas don't count for poo poo, execution is what matters. Any jackass can have an idea, very few have the knowledge and skills to pull it off or even know if it's feasible.

I mean, this is the whole reason why "i'm an ideas man" is a meme about someone being utterly loving useless.

I said a Good Game.

I could make you a whole catalog of hacked together pinball games, but they wouldn't count as good. They'd pay me fairly, but mostly because my work wouldn't be worth much.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

drk posted:

OK, lets not just trust a random tweet.... But, Fed Board released this yesterday: https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/FR-2023-02-07/pdf/2023-02192.pdf

RIP crypto banks

NO! My empire of bullshit is collapsing.

Dial A For Awesome
May 23, 2009
Another example of a crypto bro learning that real world rules also apply to their digital pogs. Guy who launched a range of NFTs based on a luxury handbag brand found to have infringed their trademark.

From the article: “We do not yet know what pushed the jury over to Hermès side. But one issue that they likely weighed was evidence indicating that Rothschild [the NFT creator] launched the MetaBirkins NFTs as a commercial venture,” more than an art project.

https://www.theguardian.com/fashion/2023/feb/08/hermes-metabirkins-trademark-court-case-mason-rothschild

EMoney
Jul 19, 2004

drk posted:

RIP crypto banks

"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.”

We are firmly entering the fight phase, with the White House/FED and OCC trying to cut off the oxygen to the crypto industry.

The disrupted never welcome the disrupting with a red carpet...ultimately, global digital payment rails are inevitable; and if the US want to cede first mover advantage to more forward thinking countries, they'll just have to play catch up later.

The digital asset class and the new iteration of the internet will be here far longer than the Biden Administration or the Warren anti-innovation wing of the Democratic party. The battle lines will be drawn and crypto will have to prove its value beyond an insular circle jerk of speculation. This will take years to play out and I am fine with patiently waiting it out to get to the "then you win" part of the disruptive tech cycle.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

EMoney posted:

"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.”

We are firmly entering the fight phase, with the White House/FED and OCC trying to cut off the oxygen to the crypto industry.

The disrupted never welcome the disrupting with a red carpet...ultimately, global digital payment rails are inevitable; and if the US want to cede first mover advantage to more forward thinking countries, they'll just have to play catch up later.

The digital asset class and the new iteration of the internet will be here far longer than the Biden Administration or the Warren anti-innovation wing of the Democratic party. The battle lines will be drawn and crypto will have to prove its value beyond an insular circle jerk of speculation. This will take years to play out and I am fine with patiently waiting it out to get to the "then you win" part of the disruptive tech cycle.

lmao

Digital payments are already a thing and don't require crypto.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

global digital payment rails exist and the US owns them

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

EMoney posted:

I and millions of other people have used digital payment technology for decades, you gullible fool.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Feb 9, 2023

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
first they laugh at you, then they laugh at you some more, then they're like hold on dude i can't breathe, then they catch their breath and start laughing again

drk
Jan 16, 2005
wait, are we taking forums poo poo poster electronic-money seriously now

lets not distract from the fact that the fed basically just banned banks from holding crypto at a value above zero

not only that, but they also lowercased "bitcoin and ether" in the federal register, which is also hilarious

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

Foo Diddley posted:

first they laugh at you, then they laugh at you some more, then they're like hold on dude i can't breathe, then they catch their breath and start laughing again

Not an empty quote but a quote I intend to
make into a T-shirt

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

EMoney posted:

crypto will have to prove its value beyond an insular circle jerk of speculation.

lmao

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

tango alpha delta posted:

I and millions of other people have used digital payment technology for decades, you gullible fool.

Can you address this mystery?

ellie the beep posted:

so at first i was annoyed at how much you post that, but then i was like, do they really? maybe it just feels that way because i dislike it, and so it stands out more to me

so i went looking backwards through your post history in this thread and because i dont understand how to make a computer do things for me i started counting on my fingers and in the past forty posts youve specifically mentioned that seraph bought that for you six times

so i went back a page and tallied again, skimming and counting and thought to myself thats odd, yet again there are six seraph bought this title for you mentions, what a coincidence !

so i went back forty posts yet further and would not you know it, seraph is credited for the purchase of your title six times exactly

so you can understand my surprise on discovering that not in the further two pages checked is a single mention!

so then i click previous page once more and finally i have dug far back enough to find the post where you remark on it having been initially purchased, and that made me even MORE curious, because that means the timeline went that seraph bought you the ad and you acknowledge it once, then an ENTIRE YEAR passes, and then fully fifteen percent of your post history is telling people that seraph bought you that av

so i have to ask: what the gently caress is your deal?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Strong Sauce posted:

there are already so many good games.. why would you play one where there's no clear objective or even... an actual game.

can you really even call these games?

I've read the term "game-shaped object" in relation to steam shovelware, and I think the term applies here.

EMoney posted:

, global digital payment rails are inevitable;

You're doing some rails alright.

Agents are GO! fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Feb 9, 2023

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Flowers for QAnon posted:

Can you address this mystery?

lol

No, no I don't think I will. It will have to remain a mystery until I mention, in some tiresome tedious fashion, that my avatar was purchased by Seraph84. But that fated destiny is for some future post, so don't hold your breath.

buttcoin

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Feb 9, 2023

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

https://twitter.com/web3isgreat/status/1623501029881831424

Love to see it happen. There's three of those dumbass things within a few minutes walk of me.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Neito posted:

https://twitter.com/web3isgreat/status/1623501029881831424

Love to see it happen. There's three of those dumbass things within a few minutes walk of me.

You should knock 'em over and steal the cartridges full of bitcoin.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Agents are GO! posted:

You should knock 'em over and steal the cartridges full of bitcoin.

If I wanted to steal negative money I'd pirate the new Night Court, staring that girl from Big Bang Theory.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

EMoney posted:

This will take years to play out and I am fine with patiently waiting it out to get to the "then you win" part of the disruptive tech cycle.

So basically you're on team "gently caress You Got Mine...eventually."

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

ashpanash posted:

So basically you're on team "gently caress You Got Mine...eventually."

most bitcoin ideas boil down to buying bitcoin then doing nothing and being rewarded by being crowned king of the world

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

evilweasel posted:

global digital payment rails exist and the US owns them

Good, all important infrastructure across the world should be under control of one democratic state or other

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

First they laugh at you. Then they die.

- Chrysippus' donkey

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVqcwi1ZTSA

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
“digital asset class”

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

EMoney posted:

Lol this quote is what Elizabeth Holmes used to say to justify her total insanity and now she's watching her kids grow up through glass.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Foo Diddley posted:

I guess killing your opponents until they die of laughter is a type of strategy.

Fish Appreciator
Nov 25, 2021
I don't think y'all understand. Crypto adoption IS inevitable.

Source: vibes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I wonder when "disruption" became an inherently good thing to some people. I mean I could "disrupt" a social function by walking into the middle of it and taking a dirty great poo poo on the carpet, that'll definitely upset the current mechanics and force the adoption of a new one(perhaps someone watching the door and holding the function away from the nice rugs), but it's not really going to improve the amount of fun or productivity anyone's having. Half the time, "disrupting" an industry just means "forcing everyone to adopt new rules that'll prevent you pulling this bullshit again that was a obviously a terrible idea to everyone but you, and therefore no one had thought it needed to be explicitly forbidden or to have a dedicated agency preventing people from doing it."