Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

totalnewbie posted:

I love people from Iowa who have never left the state going to Japan asking how to reserve a 400 dollar sushi dinner.

As an Iowan, I can guarantee that no one who has never left the state would ever eat sushi, those mf think tacos are exotic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I also lived in Iowa and honestly they're not so bad because

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"

KidDynamite posted:

wife met some americans at taito station while i was playing initial d. they had actually been in hokkaido and hakodate along with us and have overlap in osaka so we may grab dinner with them. i just need to look up splitting check terms.
"Kaikei betsu-betsu de ii?"

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012

totalnewbie posted:

I also lived in Iowa and honestly they're not so bad because

Are you in that other discord

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Hey Pollyanna just FYI you have to drive on the other side of the road in Japan and it's loving stressful as poo poo if it's your first time, are you sure you're ready to constantly feel like you're going to crash and make a zillion driving mistakes?

Also kind of nuts how you're spending basically no time in Tokyo at all

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
She’s not paying for a dumb ramen tour and been to japan it’s fine.

Oh and she can ask for things like a regular human being and not stress out because ooohhbbb Japanese !!!! Language????? Foreigners

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
You guys have a discord?

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

totalnewbie posted:

You guys gonna be there last weekend of July? Come with me to Fuji Rock :D

Actually, a trip to Kamikochi sounds right up your guys' alley: https://www.japan-guide.com/blog/peaks/171005.html

Yooo can I come visit

Funny, literally none of us had looked into special events going on, except that we want to not be within 200 km of Obon when it is happening. That does look cool and it's in the region Grand Fromage was just recommending too. I've got it on our radar now, will see what we coalesce around.

Wonton posted:

If you guys are used to Europe or Vermont weather, Tokyo during July is going to be super miserable and humid because of weak AC.

Instead of being in the golden triangle, I propose going to Toyama and Kurobe gorge. That’s my next destination and barely international tourists go there yet (well starting more because of hokuriku pass). Yeah it’s pretty much that alpine forest look but you can stay in a nice ryokan and send bags to and from your destination for cheap.

Thanks. Hokkaido was on our radar as a possibility but none of the rest. I was lol'ing when I read about 82°F (28°C) being a comfortable temperature on the last page. I have a hard time sleeping when it's above 25°C (77°F). Daytime temperature I don't really care, I've lived in Cairo and Tunis in summer, but with A/C. We're childhood friends who grew up in the south of the US so we're familiar with miserable weather, but less familiar with miserable weather + lack of good A/C. My parents kept our house at 80°F in summer when I was growing up and even as a kid it was borderline sleeping-possible, with a fan.

AHH F/UGH posted:

Hey Pollyanna just FYI you have to drive on the other side of the road in Japan and it's loving stressful as poo poo if it's your first time, are you sure you're ready to constantly feel like you're going to crash and make a zillion driving mistakes?

Also kind of nuts how you're spending basically no time in Tokyo at all

She's been to Tokyo before. I'll also disagree about switching sides of the road being stressful, after the first like two hours. It's even easier if there is traffic, since you can just follow what everyone else is doing. Picking up a car and immediately going to desolate country roads is where it gets dangerous since you might forget that right is wrong. IME. It looks like Japan doesn't have any significant number of roundabouts (or left-on-red). Is there anything particularly unusual, or is it just mirror image driving?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

totalnewbie posted:

Yooo can I come visit

Of course :3

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Wonton posted:

Are you in that other discord

Yes and no.

I wonder how many discord servers exist these days?

peanut posted:

Of course :3

Eeexcellent I'll see you later! :D

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Wonton posted:

She’s not paying for a dumb ramen tour and been to japan it’s fine.

Oh and she can ask for things like a regular human being and not stress out because ooohhbbb Japanese !!!! Language????? Foreigners

Yeah don’t worry instead I’ll stress out because ooohhbbb Humans !!!! Socializing????? People

not that my japanese is any good but still

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Feb 8, 2023

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Kara Kusa Curry in Kyoto is still loving incredible. Shout out to the goon who gave me that rec in 2020. They now have michelin guide which shows that goons have some good loving taste imo.

Kyoto continues to be the city I experience the most racism in.

2020: random dude comes up to me and goes "smoke weed every day"

2023: hotel has records to bring back to the room and recommendation notes like what mood to listen in, many of the hip hop records say "while blunted" 😒

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
That’s why I got to Tokyo all the time. Goons do have good taste and most of them live in Tokyo

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
Tohoku-Hokuriku -region:

Rail it up or get a rental car? Also, any good car rental companies?

I have no specific reason to visit that area, but I want to get the most out of my trip. Aim is to fill in missing prefectures in my quest to complete the 47.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Idk but Nippon Rentacar at major shinkansen stations tends to have good availability and office hours, and decent rates

PS lookin at you, Tokyo Station Yaesu Exit branch, and winking :peanut:

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
Sounds good. Will have to see if spot rentals are an option.

Are gas prices high in Japan nowadays? I heard that electricity bills are going through the roof.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Actually, is there a way to rent a car in one city and drop it off at another? One of the big limitations on our itinerary is that we need to pick up the car from Takamatsu Airport, and drop it off at the same. I’m not sure why specifically we’re getting a car from the airport…what are non-airport rental companies like? Workable for us moron Americans or nah?

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

Actually, is there a way to rent a car in one city and drop it off at another?

Yes.

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
Renting Nagano with snow tires dropping it off in kansai airport

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Saladman posted:

Daytime temperature I don't really care, I've lived in Cairo and Tunis in summer, but with A/C. We're childhood friends who grew up in the south of the US so we're familiar with miserable weather, but less familiar with miserable weather + lack of good A/C.

Yeah, even 82 F (28 C) and 80+% humidity is an absolute motherfucker. And that’s standard for Japanese summer. Except for like Sendai north.

Driving isn’t too bad, most rental cars can be put into English instructions, the hardest part to remember is where the indicator stalk and where the windshield wiper stalk is. Even driving stick left handed got normal after a while.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Ffffair enough! I’ll see if it’s possible to rent a car in Imabari and drop it off in Takamatsu.

Speaking of, I’m going to propose this itinerary:

code:
(Fly in to KIX)

Osaka x 1 night - because we just flew in

(Train west to Kurashiki)

Kurashiki x 1 night - because the city looks pretty and I think the name “Kurashiki” is cool

(Train west to Onomichi)

Either Onomichi or Imabari x 3 nights -> because I want to enjoy Shimanami, Imabari, and Onomichi

(Rent car in Imabari, drive east to Iya)

Iya x 2 nights - because I want a fancy stay time for dad!

(Drive north to Takamatsu)

Takamatsu x 6 nights - because we want to do Ritsurin, Kotohira, temple walks, art islands + Megijima, Shodoshima, and relaxation (could add more!)

(Drop off car at TAK and fly out)
It’s 4 hotel changes total, compared to 7 hotel changes total in the original itinerary. 3 if I end up dropping Kurashiki. Much more doable, and we don’t need the car until after Ono-Bari.

One problem is that I’m still iffy on Kurashiki. I’m very curious about the place, and staying there for one night would make it a shorter train ride to Onomichi in the morning, but flow-wise I’m not sure if enough time is spent there to justify the stay. Am I just making it worse?

The other problem is the reservation for Iya valley creates a somewhat awkward split, and we end up having 6 nights in Takamatsu and trying to spread 4 nights among Ono-Bari and possibly Kurashiki. It would have been dope to move it back by one day and get an even 5, but we couldn’t manage that and keep the same Iya stay :(

And I could drop by Niihama literally anytime but Iya!

Thoughts? Takamatsu is still looking a bit empty, maybe I’ll drag dad to the Mario movie later in the trip :v:

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Car rentals, in general, are franchises so the product is owned by one branch and not the national company, so they don't want one-way rentals.

Takamatsu airport is hella far from downtown.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Kurashiki is hella cute

Fwiw shimanami kaido does NOT have trains, you need to bike or bus or rent a car.

Your new itinerary is much more sensible. Have you been to Hiroshima yet? If you're already in Onomichi, it's just a little farther west …

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
Only red flag is lack of time to accommodate jet lag.

Arriving jet lagged in the morning and renting a car sucks. It’s just really exhausting. Doable, but not fun at all.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

That is good advice

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Wonton posted:

Only red flag is lack of time to accommodate jet lag.

Arriving jet lagged in the morning and renting a car sucks. It’s just really exhausting. Doable, but not fun at all.

Dad has a high tolerance for that (I think he’s just insane and/or dumb). I’m coming in earlier than he is so I get more time in Osaka, and we can treat Crashkey and Shimanami as rest-ish - I’m not worried about myself.

peanut posted:

Car rentals, in general, are franchises so the product is owned by one branch and not the national company, so they don't want one-way rentals.

Takamatsu airport is hella far from downtown.

:rip: Hmm. Then I’m not sure what to do. We could pick up in Imabari and drop it off on the last day of Takamatsu, possibly, but that’s a little annoying. Better than the alternative, though.

Maybe we should have flown out of KIX instead…?

peanut posted:

Kurashiki is hella cute

Yes, it looks very charming!!

quote:

Fwiw shimanami kaido does NOT have trains, you need to bike or bus or rent a car.

We’re counting on that fact, yeah. Our plans are to either cross it by car, or to bike with bus bailouts.

quote:

Your new itinerary is much more sensible. Have you been to Hiroshima yet? If you're already in Onomichi, it's just a little farther west …

We have not, and I’m now wondering if it isn’t maybe worth going Takamatsu -> Iya -> Shimanami -> Hiroshima instead…ughhghhhhgghhgghh I hate changing plans last minute though, and we’re also flying out from TAK right now). But oh christ that’s kinda tempting actually.

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
When you book the car just indicate that you will drop it off at a different location and pay a surcharge.

Airports cost a premium but it’s doable.

No way am I going to rent a car in Nagano and then take a train to KIX, it was 25k yen surcharge

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

jetlag isn't real. just pop an ambien like an adult.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
For Kuroneko delivery service, can you send luggage to the airport days ahead of when you will arrive? More specifically, I'm traveling with a wine suitcase that is only used for 1 day in the middle of the trip. It would be a lot more convenient to have my friend send it from Shizuoka to KIX instead of lugging it around Kansai for 4 more days.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Yeah just tell them how long you intend to store it for, 4 days should be fine.

Foreign Substance
Mar 6, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I sent my luggage into a six-day limbo so I could visit way too many towns and cities before ending up in Tokyo, it was incredibly convenient.

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pollyanna posted:

:rip: Hmm. Then I’m not sure what to do. We could pick up in Imabari and drop it off on the last day of Takamatsu, possibly, but that’s a little annoying. Better than the alternative, though.

Maybe we should have flown out of KIX instead…?

There's a bus that goes right to the airport from the station where all the rental car places are that takes about 40 minutes. You can also take a cab for 2-3,000 yen. I mean I don't know how that fits into your overall trip, but transport to the airport without a car is really not a big deal.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

wife booked a stupid hotel with no lobby workers so i have to go through the indignity of travelling with my luggage from kyoto to fukuoka.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

KidDynamite posted:

wife booked a stupid hotel with no lobby workers so i have to go through the indignity of travelling with my luggage from kyoto to fukuoka.

No you don't.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

kyoto seems kinda dead compared to sendai and even compared to the last time we were here which was march 2020. seems weird.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Mister Chief posted:

No you don't.

how so? current hotel couldn't figure out how to forward without a room number or to a conbini

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Just do it yourself through Kuroneko or whatever.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

looks like we are doing a day trip tomorrow from Tokyo to Hakone. i already did a sento so I’m more interested in the hikes and museums there (heard the open air sculpture museum is cool) - any recommendations?

also, any favorite lunch spots there with vegetarian options for my partner?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

god drat it got lured to a gaijin bar by some reggaeton playing on speakers outside. music was soon followed by country.... anywhere i can go in tokyo or osaka to dance to reggaeton with japanese people?

a fond memory i have of paris is coming across people dancing to bachata on the banks of the seine. joining in is a core memory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

KidDynamite posted:

how so? current hotel couldn't figure out how to forward without a room number or to a conbini

Go to a combini.

There are also many nice guys in Tokyo who will take you to bars to hear good Reggaeton music.

Places like Roppongi etc.