Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Splat
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Changeling
Promethean
Demon
Hunter
Sin Eater
Deviant
Mummy lol
beast?!
Goku
View Results

Slightly Lions
Apr 13, 2009

Look what I can do!

Mr. Maltose posted:

Ascended by being a different splat entirely and really, really beefing another kind of splat transcendence.

RIP Elder Hard-luck, hosed up Golconda so badly he became an insane symbol-god.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Lord Hypnostache posted:

Great campaign

This sounds drat fun, and your players are in for some surprises. Excited to hear what will come next!

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
Meanwhile, sometimes your setting just throws stuff into your lap. The university city my game takes place in has a traditional Latin drinking song that includes the following lines:

* Est vita nostra brevior, et mors amara longior (Our life is short, and our bitter death longer)
* Osores nostri pereant, amici semper floreant. (May those who hate us perish, and our friends always flourish)
* Dum nihil est in poculo, iam repleatur denuo. (When nothing is left in the vessel, let it be refilled)

That last line immediately jumped out to me as a perfect description of the embrace, and the Lasombra embrace in particular.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
4 of my five players have finished their characters and they did such a great job, a couple of them even switched their traditional roles from combat character to researcher or face and vice versa, so that'll be fun. The players are the only vampires who have been embraced since the war that ousted the old regime on the Westside of the city and replaced it with the new Prince's coterie which, of course, consists of one vampire from each clan, so all my players are a different clan and their covenant is that of their sire's although that can change during play. A big part of this was when we did werewolf in this city five years ago, I ended up with three Bone Shadow theurges. But it also has a bit of symmetry with my five players. They've been trained by their sires for the past year for their individual roles and the game will start with them being given their first big mission.

Anyways, my Mekhet is a wheelchair bound v-tuber who's heavy into Auspex and wants to exist more digitally than anything else. She's our computer expert and has specialized in using drones for exploration. Every character gets a unique power based on their sire and hers is an Ordo Dracul stage magician. In my game world the Ordo isn't just alchemy and mad science, but also blood sorcery. Her sire was more on the sorcerous side of the order and because of his studies and her abilities with auspex, she can sense the presence of ghosts and spirits and for 1 vitae can use her senses to see those entites in our world and interact with them. She can even drain their essence like it was blood. Her biggest goal is to debut her new v-tuber persona The Hemogoblin.

My Nosferatu is a Filipino immigrant with an interest in blood magic who lacks a shadow and has a history of hearing voices. He never believed the stories his older relatives would tell him about spirits and gods, but now that he's dead and walking, everything is back on the table. He's being used as a hitter by his sire, The Rat King, who's strange blood rituals have transmuted my players heart into a rat that lives inside his chest, able to exit and enter at will by oozing out of his pores. My player can see and hear through the rat and issue it mental commands and, of course, if the rat is out and about, he can't be staked. The bad news is, and what the character suspects, is that the Rat King can track him through his heart rat and maybe even use the creatures senses like the character can. His biggest goal is to discover the truth behind the voices he's been hearing.

My Ventrue is a tiny woman with the rise and grind mindset who's incredibly strong even before vampiric powers are added in. She was also a student of the player's werewolf character's fencing classes. A relationship that has been damaged by her embrace into the opposing faction. Her special power was a simplified version of the Web discipline from the Invictus book, she can automatically see the power dynamics, goals, and relationships between a group of people, change the intensity of those links and, if she wants to spend a vitae, use one of her mental disciplines on a single target she's observing. Her main goal is to track down any invictus member who defected during the war with the carthians.

My Deava is another character with a connection to the player's previous werewolf character, this one being the estranged sibling of the werewolf. They're the face of the party and a bit of a jack of all trades (except fighting). Their sire was a old time reporter but I kind of stepped on that territory when I made the ventrue's special power, so for this character I leaned into their sire's survivor angle with a sort of any means necessary general power boost. They first time they spend a will power point they get extra dice, the first time they activate a physical discipline it's free, and the first time the spend a vitae to heal they get 4b or 2l. Their main goal is to find a way to reconcile with their brother and make sure this tentative peace lasts.

The Gangrel hasn't finished their character yet, but the sire was one of the Ordo members who worked on the project that released the CHUDS in the werewolf chronicle, and she wanted her character to be a prototype or upgraded version of that. Since the CHUDS were basically oWoD abominations, that was a big no, but we worked out that while her character is an outgrowth of that research and unaware of it. To tie things together, when she boosts her physical traits, they last a scene instead of a turn and her body heals 1B a round without vitae.

Their first mission is going to be investigating reports of vampires who were embraced during either the war with the Carthians or the civil war in the Invictus. While the current Prince wasn't offically in power during these events, those were unsanctioned embraces and need to be dealt with. The coterie will be given full privileges to decide what to do to these vampires if they exist (they do). Each of their sires will also have side quests or competing goals that will be given to their offspring. I've got plot hooks in the neighborhood write ups and a few things that'll pop during play, but they'll have to balance free form with their actual assigned missions. I'm hoping to start next week, so with luck we'll have more campaign update posts going on soon.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Out of context moment from today's Mage game: "Quick, join me under the Blanket Fort of the Dethroned Queen."

MoonKnight
Jul 14, 2018

cptn_dr posted:

Out of context moment from today's Mage game: "Quick, join me under the Blanket Fort of the Dethroned Queen."

To be honest, I'd expect that out of a Changeling the Lost game...

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

To be fair, they'd just stolen an artifact from the Paternoster Tetrarch, but they wanted to examine it before taking it into the Underworld to pay off a debt — draping the Robe of the Dethroned Queen between two chairs and huddling under it just seemed like the most effective way to stay under the radar while they did it.

(Though it was a slightly sillier session than usual, one player declared that the group chat all the local Thyrsus have is named "Thyrs Trap")

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

cptn_dr posted:

(Though it was a slightly sillier session than usual, one player declared that the group chat all the local Thyrsus have is named "Thyrs Trap")

Nice, in our werewolf game, the werewolf message board was called Howlsome Wolf Posting

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

MoonKnight posted:

To be honest, I'd expect that out of a Changeling the Lost game...

I'd have thought Changeling the Dreaming, myself.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

In the more recent 5E stuff does the Camarilla still hold to the whole 'no smartphone' stuff?

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

In the more recent 5E stuff does the Camarilla still hold to the whole 'no smartphone' stuff?

I don't think it's been rescinded since whatever book it popped up (I think it's in the core) but A. Who gives a poo poo what the Camarilla think and B. Camarilla laws were meant to be broken :drac:

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
As bad as Facebook was for organizing game information it's still better than discord. Is there like a free wiki site that I can put my game info on so my players can like go to the vampire section and see all the vamps, or click on invictus and see all the invictus members?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Soonmot posted:

As bad as Facebook was for organizing game information it's still better than discord. Is there like a free wiki site that I can put my game info on so my players can like go to the vampire section and see all the vamps, or click on invictus and see all the invictus members?
I just make a “characters” channel in the game server.

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Soonmot posted:

I've done this with kumu maps for vampire in the past (and will again for an upcoming game). Like I'll create an element called Lancea and elements for some Lancea-affiliated characters and then make connections to that group element. Each element has a description field you can use for whatever information you like, and a place to upload an image.

A wiki sounds very cool, though, and if you find a good solution for that please share!

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Nessus posted:

I just make a “characters” channel in the game server.

Yeah, I have that already but even just with my locked city info channel having to scroll through the entire thing, which only I have posted in and only information, no chat is already really annoying. Having a channel that's nothing but npc names that I have to hunt down to update and isn't organized is gonna kill me.

I'm gonna check out frig's suggestion but might just have to upload a pdf I update on my own and have in a pinned post.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Could be. You could also add key headers like clan, breed, Convention, Guild membership, Freehold, Prestige class, tomes held, etc. Make it searchable

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Isn't this what https://www.obsidianportal.com/ was built for?

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Soonmot posted:

Obsidian Portal is okay for this (though it doesn't quite have full wiki functionality and the markup editor can sometimes be fussy). For my games recently I've just been using scrupulously bookmarked Google Docs with lots of internal links to bounce around.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Okay I really like Kumu maps I'm a visual person and this really helps to see the relationships. The ability to use that search box at the top to search by the tags I used is great. Expanding the three dots on the left allows you to see the information on each element. But what really sold me is the focus feature. All i've done is add the five covenants and one of the werewolf packs, the prince, and three of the player's sires and PCs and you can already see how chaotic it's getting with those crossing lines. But select one element and click the focus button that pops on the right and only shows that element and the stuff that links to it.

What do folks think?

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Soonmot posted:

Okay I really like Kumu maps I'm a visual person and this really helps to see the relationships. The ability to use that search box at the top to search by the tags I used is great. Expanding the three dots on the left allows you to see the information on each element. But what really sold me is the focus feature. All i've done is add the five covenants and one of the werewolf packs, the prince, and three of the player's sires and PCs and you can already see how chaotic it's getting with those crossing lines. But select one element and click the focus button that pops on the right and only shows that element and the stuff that links to it.

What do folks think?

It looks good! I often find it helpful to add a tag for PC & NPC, and will color code those so I can tell them apart at a glance.

You can also embed a background image and use it as a map of domains & locations, like I did with this campaign I ran using the V5 Chicago By Night

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

aw frig aw dang it posted:

It looks good! I often find it helpful to add a tag for PC & NPC, and will color code those so I can tell them apart at a glance.

You can also embed a background image and use it as a map of domains & locations, like I did with this campaign I ran using the V5 Chicago By Night

Ha! I thought about using the map option, but I figured that'd be way too chaotic.

edit: looks like I can't have two element changes at the same time. I tried having the PCs with a large black shadow and vampires with a red shadow half the size, but only one or the other would display

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Feb 7, 2023

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Funny how AI generated art, in the original popular use for 'liminal space' backdrops, is very suiting for the Hedge. The Backrooms pretty much fit right in. It's supposed to be uncanny, unwelcoming, and claustrophobic even in open spaces, after all.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER

Dawgstar posted:

The way I read is that Elder Camarilla have banned modern communication technology (to prevent younger Kindred using tools they are too old to understand) but the enforcement of this varies on local level.

In my campaign the rule is not enforced heavily, but everyone is careful about it, because it leaves you open to abuse by the local authorities. If you use a smartphone, the Sheriff can bust you for breaking the Elders' rules, if you don't use a smartphone the Sheriff can bust you for breaking the Masquerade (if you live in a modern metropolitan city and don't have a smartphone you are not blending in).

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

joylessdivision posted:

I don't think it's been rescinded since whatever book it popped up (I think it's in the core) but A. Who gives a poo poo what the Camarilla think and B. Camarilla laws were meant to be broken :drac:

:yeah:

My friend group did a V5 game as Anarchs in LA and our characters made heavy use of smartphones. Since we played over Discord, we could act out the SMS messages we were sending in the game's text channel. One of the characters sent rebuses using emoji. Another character, one of the older of the group, was texting like a grandma writing semi-formal letters. It was delightful!

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

:yeah:

My friend group did a V5 game as Anarchs in LA and our characters made heavy use of smartphones. Since we played over Discord, we could act out the SMS messages we were sending in the game's text channel. One of the characters sent rebuses using emoji. Another character, one of the older of the group, was texting like a grandma writing semi-formal letters. It was delightful!

:allears: that's delightful. I've been using Google slides for the Skype game I run to help set scenes and various actors that I've chosen for NPC roles to help both me and my player stay immersed. I don't think I've actually had the no cell phone rule enforced ever. My player is a fledgling Cam by sire but her coterie mates are both Anarchs and they all use cellphones.

I don't remember if the Toreador Primogen uses one or not, I'm pretty the player has texted them a couple of times, though generally speaking she just goes to see the Primogen if she's got something she needs from her.

Because surely the primogen who took the fledgling under her wing when her sire hosed off to Chicago doesn't have an ultior motive for doing so The Primogen absolutely intends to use her as part of her scheme to take over the city from the new Prince.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

Dawgstar posted:

Obviously not saying that everything in those games is canon, but there was a good justification for the Camarilla coterie using smartphones during season two of New York by Night. Basically Rafferty, their main point of contact, when asked about it, went "Of course you're allowed to use smartphones. You know how much you'd stand out not using a phone in this day and age?" I'm guessing it's one of those things where the neonates and fledglings can get away with it a lot more, as long as doing so doesn't lead to the SI catching on.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Skios posted:

I'm guessing it's one of those things where the neonates and fledglings can get away with it a lot more, as long as doing so doesn't lead to the SI catching on.

I always read it as this. As funny as it is to imagine every elder having a "modern thing explainer" (or, if you're Etrius, your explainer'll have an explainer, who will likewise have one) it's more about Elders both using it as an excuse to clamp down on their lessers and them going "WHAT THE gently caress JUST HAPPENED EVERYONE CHILL WHILE WE GET THIS SORTED!"

Most "elders" that aren't taking part in the worse End-of-Days Pub Crawl Slash Brawl Ever are only a few centuries old anyway.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
wait did no one post about the player's guide announcement? they finished the players guide and it's coming out

quote:

Features:

Consolidates 7 clans of Kindred not included in the core Vampire: The Masquerade rulebook: Banu Haqim, Hecata, Lasombra, The Ministry, Ravnos, Salubri, and Tzimisce with their iconic Discipline powers including Oblivion and its Ceremonies!
Collects previously published Discipline Powers, Blood Sorcery Rituals, and Thin-Blood Alchemy Formulae, plus includes over 40 new additions.
New systems and advantages for coteries, including clan coterie merits for each of the 13 great clans plus Caitiff, Duskborn, and Salubri.
Revisits all aspects of character and coterie creations, including streamlined guidance for new or experienced players.
Guidelines and advice for non-traditional chronicles, including: all Thin-blood, troupe-style, virtual play, and play without a Storyteller.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

ElNarez posted:

wait did no one post about the player's guide announcement? they finished the players guide and it's coming out

I slammed that pre-order button as soon as I saw the announcement on the discord. Also apparently Renegade is doing something in early March where Apocalypse 5e has been hinted to be talked about (along with being playable at Gencon this year)

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

ElNarez posted:

That's cool but the one feature I really want is: Made It Possible To Find Stuff Easily

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

That's cool but the one feature I really want is: Made It Possible To Find Stuff Easily

RIP you're into White Wolf games I guess

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Most white wolf games this isn't even possible with searchable text because they'll use common words both as key words and for their common use.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
Once in a while you're blessed with a book that has robust bookmarks and a hyperlinked table of contents and index, and then you merely have to contend with the fact that important information is going to be tucked throughout the book at random like buried treasure.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

Tulip posted:

Most white wolf games this isn't even possible with searchable text because they'll use common words both as key words and for their common use.

White Wolf editors read this comic and saw it as a challenge.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

ElNarez posted:

So I can finally have Banu Haqim stuff without having to read the Camarilla book? Score.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

My biggest foe in Scion 2E has been that the books are very clearly written for the PDF, it's kind of wild. Especially since I have the books but not the PDFs!

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

ElNarez posted:

I'm waiting for reviews on this one. I own all the other supplements, so I want to know if there's enough new stuff to justify picking it up.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

CottonWolf posted:

I'm waiting for reviews on this one. I own all the other supplements, so I want to know if there's enough new stuff to justify picking it up.

https://youtu.be/VUipVVycyQg

Outstar covers some additional info about the players guide (40 new disciplines) and also mentions that Apocalypse 5e should be out in digital by Gencon and is close to 400 pages.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Renegade's prices are loving bullshit, so I went in with another guy to get the PG and have the physical copy mailed to his house while I keep the digital. Ended up being 60 total, so he paypaled me 40 and thus we both get a solid deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Everybody else in the industry needs to start charging that kind of prices that Renegade are.

Rand Brittain fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Feb 12, 2023