Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

The Kins posted:

We Love Katamari Reroll + Royal Reverie resurrects the PS2 classic with an extra set of five or so stages where you play as the young King of Cosmos, and the ability to take selfies because it's the 2020s. It'll be out June 2.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-KGt6Yido0
Pre-ordering it immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

Ahh man, I downloaded this all excited after having a great time in Alyx. It looks great and the opening with G-Man and the brief bit of the train station I could stomach was incredible, but unfortunately they don't have the blink movement that Alyx does (which, to be fair, was actually DESIGNED to be played in VR) and the moment I moved in-game I felt sick. Never experienced motion sickness in games before but the effect was almost instant, and no matter what I did to the vignette size or movement speed, nothing alleviated it.

What a shame :smith:

You'll get used to this somewhat by playing more VR games. Because yeah, it's powerful vertigo when you get started.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

hi i’m in mexico did anyone notice

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

when i die will anyone know at all

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

you might

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
Aw yea, a proper fantasy life sequel is great news. I ahd so much fun in that game co-op. The mobile version was trash

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Resdfru posted:

Aw yea, a proper fantasy life sequel is great news. I ahd so much fun in that game co-op. The mobile version was trash

the mobile version was also just shut down lol a proper sequel is great news.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Anno posted:

:siren:

Announced at the Nintendo thing but coming to Steam as well

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1623444059514699777

HELL YEAH!

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Piquai Souban posted:

“Tape To Tape” is a new-to-me demo that is NHL95 meets Slay The Spire. The boss level was you playing a team of refs. Instabuy for me!

This game looked pretty legit but I'm not really a hockey fan so I didn't try the demo. The hockey smith screenshot cracked me up.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Cowcaster posted:

hi i’m in mexico did anyone notice

Playing Red Dead Redemption on original console or via an emulator!?! :haw:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I played the Planet of Lana demo and I think you probably should too.

What's in it is a really gorgeous platformer clearly inspired by Another World (Out of This World). None of the platforming or puzzling in the demo is particularly challenging (at least from my perspective) but the animation is really smooth and there's so much beautifully drawn forest to run through (admittedly maybe too much). I don't feel that the demo hooked me into playing the full game because the gameplay felt pretty basic, as I think it might be targeted to a younger audience, but it's worth having a looking at.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I tried out The Great War and while it is admittedly just a few missions I don’t think it’s going to be for me. There’s almost certainly depth I’m not understanding but the battle layer feels lacking, at least in the ways I enjoy RTS combat.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

It is the Nineties and there is always time for D E M O S. Since people have already touched on Full Void, Grim Guardians and Benedict Fox, I focused on other demos tonight.

Schism

I think the theme for today's demo selection is "odd". Schism is an odd Binding of Isaac style game with lots of bullets and a strange aesthetic, odd music, no controller support for some reason (at least it didn't detect my xbox controller), an Ikaruga-style color mechanic, and rooms that are just sort of bare. I dont think it's bad, but it's got a kind of weird feel for something that's coming out later this month.

Vividlope

This is sick!!! Dreamcast-aesthetic tile-painting arcade game with cute Y2K-era mascot-ish characters and very smooth gameplay. Brimming with confidence, this one is. Easy recommend.

Koa & the Five Pirates of Mara

Mail Mole was a 3D platformer that I wanted to like but couldn't because of the strange jumping mechanics (since you are a mole underground, you charge your jump rather than just jumping instantly), so seeing a 3D platformer from the same developer with regular jumping got me excited. I'm not 100% sold after the demo though. It's got things like speedrun timers but your character movement is so slow compared to even Mario 3D World (the clear influence on this game, as the levels are designed to allow for co-op play) which makes it seem like it's purely for kids?? Might go back into the demo later and try a different level.

Cavern of Dreams

This one grew on me... it started with a poor impression with bad sound design and dev-made character noises, but I warmed up to the opening level of the game which had quite a few secrets tucked into it (including a secret area BEHIND a secret area). It's sort of like if Macbat 64 had more of a point (no shade on that dev, though, since they also made the Toree games which are excellent), and was a bit more like Banjo-Kazooie.

Crystals of Irm

You ever play a game and think "This is so clearly a game made by the dev FOR themselves that I'm not sure if I'm even supposed to play this"? COI is the oddest thing I've played so far in the Next Fest. It combines an Ultima-looking overworld, with first person towns/dungeons that feel kind of half-finished, and a bizarre battle system that involves you rapidly tapping your character from tile to tile around a grid to build up your character's ATB gauge, at which point they throw an attack onto a tile on the field that you 'attack' to deal damage to an enemy or build up your mana for a magic attack. It's so strange but it's fascinating. You're just thrown into the world in this demo and left to figure everything out yourself.

A Sister's Journey

Unfortunately, this one has major performance issues, which the dev is trying to figure out, although it might run fine on the Deck so I will try it there later maybe? The game looks like if you took Celeste and put guns in it.

Mahou Senshi Cosplay Club

Pictured above is the nightmare wardrobe I designed for my character. A story RPG by the developer of Chroma Squad, Cosplay Club has battles that could be compared to something like BOF Dragon Quarter or Neptunia (where you move on the field on your turn and attack someone in range of your attack's style), and they are LARP battles so when you knock an opponent out, they just walk over to the crowd and watch the rest of the fight.

Imagine my confusion, however, when the game has me design this cosplay outfit, then craft it using a bunch of different materials that affect my character's stats... and then... I don't actually get to wear it??? Instead you're forced to wear a 'stock' outfit? I don't get why they did that, what a deflating way to kick off the second half of the demo, lol. Not that there was much beyond the cosplay design, as you basically get one cutscene, and one battle, and then that's it.

Mr. Saitou

A cute RPG Maker game by the developer of similarly cute but much more bummer game Rakuen (the game about the boy in the hospital, if you didn't know). This looks like it will tell a serious story but with less of a bummer journey, as it involves a salaryman who has overworked himself into an accident that has put him... okay it put him in the hospital BUT I DONT THINK IT WILL BE A BUMMER. Yes there's a sick kid that he meets and he looks like the MC of Rakuen and there are characters from Rakuen in the screenshots on the Steam page BUT IT PROBABLY WONT BE A BUMMER ALRIGHT. It comes out March 23rd so I guess I'll find out if it has a sad part or not then.

Wishlisted from this batch: Mr. Saitou, Vividlope, Crystals of Irm, Cavern of Dreams
Next up: Glitch Busters, I Am Future, Pixelshire, Rusted Moss, System Shock, Valfaris: Mecha Therion, WitchSpring R, trying A Sister's Journey again maybe? if the dev figures the problem out?

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Feb 9, 2023

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Jossar posted:

Corsairs Legacy - Pirate Action RPG & Sea Battles - Kind of hard to judge this one because it's really just a mechanics test. I feel like somebody releases a barebones but technically competent ship combat game hoping it'll become the next big pirate game every couple of years or so though, so not really going to pay attention unless two years from now it pops up to rave reviews.

There seem to be a couple of small studios that have sprung up out of the Sea Dogs / Pirates of the Caribbean mod scene churning these out. Sadly none of them are particularly good.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I dunno if anyone is particularly familiar with big picture mode or anything, but I've kinda run into a bit of a thing with it. After exiting big picture mode, it basically won't let me use 'regular' steam functions at all, outside of what's already open in the main browser window thing.

Like, if I'm in Library already I can click through my library just fine, or in Store I can click through banners and sales and stuff, but it won't let me click through from store to library or to community or wherever, up to and including stuff like right clicking the steam icon in the system tray, it'll bring up the menu with recently played games, exit steam, open big picture, etc, but won't do anything if I click on them. It stays this way until I straight up kill the program in task manager.

Tried restarting, doing a fresh steam install, nothing.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Anno posted:

Finally.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Waves of Steel can get pretty silly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1LdIanOw2o

Made a bote that goes about mach 2.5

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Anno posted:

Very happy about this but the characters not being extremely pixelated looks really weird to me.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

dis astranagant posted:

Waves of Steel can get pretty silly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1LdIanOw2o

Made a bote that goes about mach 2.5

:lmao:
10/10 would rocket boat again.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

The 7th Guest posted:

It is the Nineties and there is always time for D E M O S. Since people have already touched on Full Void, Grim Guardians and Benedict Fox, I focused on other demos tonight.

Schism

I think the theme for today's demo selection is "odd". Schism is an odd Binding of Isaac style game with lots of bullets and a strange aesthetic, odd music, no controller support for some reason (at least it didn't detect my xbox controller), an Ikaruga-style color mechanic, and rooms that are just sort of bare. I dont think it's bad, but it's got a kind of weird feel for something that's coming out later this month.

Always love these posts but I'm going to have to counter on this one! Schism was off my radar until I saw a screenshot and checked it out, and now I must have played the demo to completion like 4 times. It's odd but it does a lot of cool stuff.

The way the leveling system works is really interesting; it's completely tied to which of the 8 different gods you choose to worship in the little altar room at the beginning of the dungeon. Much like Dungeon Crawl or something they all have their own weird quirks and upsides and downsides. One of them likes poison and disease and likes it when you poison enemies but also when you acquire diseases yourself, which are negative effects and debuffs. Another one likes it when your summoned minions die, and gives you a pet zombie that respawns in every room as a passive bonus, but worshipping him encourages you to seek out more ways to summon stuff so you can build XP faster. They all offer different bonuses and have a few different unique items they can give you if you make them happy. I've also seen the option pop up once to do something that betrayed my current god but I was too scared to mess with it.

I also like how many weapon and item effects scale in different ways across different stats -- for example, something that creates orbiting shields around your character might scale the size of the shields with your defense stat, but the speed at which they rotate with your fire rate. Nothing mindblowing here but it's neat how base stats can do stuff beyond their normal effects, and encourages you to not just seek out attack and fire rate upgrades at the expense of everything else. Also I just appreciate how quick and snappy it is -- when you're out of combat, negative effects like movement speed reduction or a disease that causes you to take damage when standing still for too long or whatever all get disabled. Honestly my biggest gripe right now is that the portion in the demo is just a little too easy when you get a hang of all the mechanics, I think my last 3 successful runs were all achieved in a row, but the demo is only the first couple floors and I imagine it'll get harder from there.

edit: Oh and when you enter a combat area time is frozen and you can move around to whatever position you want before starting the fight. Very nice way to avoid the Isaac bullshit of taking a hit as soon as you walk into a room.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

WarEternal posted:

This game looked pretty legit but I'm not really a hockey fan so I didn't try the demo. The hockey smith screenshot cracked me up.

I know almost nothing about hockey but I'm having a blast with it (actually came here to thank whoever recommended it). Runs great on the Deck too.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
played a few more demos last night:

Protodroid Delta: Mega Man-inspired 3D platformer with lock-on shooting. Didn't play this for long as the level design felt pretty bland and movement felt a bit awkward, but maybe later levels will be more interesting, IDK

Enenra - combines DMC/Bayonetta-style character action with Arkham-inspired freeflow, where you automatically target nearby enemies (well, as long as you're pushing the analog stick towards them, anyway). Fun, and the animations and general feel of combat are very impressive for a game from a single dev, but not sure how much more there is to it than that, and character action fans might feel it takes too much control away from the player.

Radio the Universe - this was infamously funded via Kickstarter over a decade ago in 2012, but based on the demo, this is the rare case where an extremely long dev cycle might actually be justified by the final product. Incredible atmosphere, with pixel art with just the right of detail, cutscenes that hint at a deeper story while leaving a lot to the imagination, and a perfectly ominous musical score, but it also plays extremely well too, with snappy and responsive controls and satisfying combat; also appreciated that there's an indicator that shows you where a jump will end up, which addresses some of the issues many top-down 2D games have with platforming from one elevation to another. My one real concern from my limited playtime is that the difficulty might be too high for my taste, since one hit kills you, but the game does autosave very frequently after every screen.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
EDIT: wrong thread!

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Barry Convex posted:

Radio the Universe - this was infamously funded via Kickstarter over a decade ago in 2012, but based on the demo, this is the rare case where an extremely long dev cycle might actually be justified by the final product. Incredible atmosphere, with pixel art with just the right of detail, cutscenes that hint at a deeper story while leaving a lot to the imagination, and a perfectly ominous musical score, but it also plays extremely well too, with snappy and responsive controls and satisfying combat; also appreciated that there's an indicator that shows you where a jump will end up, which addresses some of the issues many top-down 2D games have with platforming from one elevation to another. My one real concern from my limited playtime is that the difficulty might be too high for my taste, since one hit kills you, but the game does autosave very frequently after every screen.

Yeah, I backed in when it was on kickstarter, and I am extremely happy with how it's turning out. The controls are fantastic, and the solution for platforming in an isometric game is really cool. It is totally committed to its aesthetic, but not to a degree where it gets in the way of playing the game. It's just a really good, weird Zelda clone.

Also, the combat is pretty hard, but there's an upgrade system, you can get more HP.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Radio the Universe looks pretty neat, but I only learned about it after it finished getting funded, and have a pretty bad track record as far as Kickstarter goes.

Some great games came from the Kickstarter trend, but those weren't the games I ended up funding.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

So is Dark and Darker supposed to be some weird, almost janky game? I like the idea behind it but the combat is just too ponderous. I get that it's supposed to be deliberate and slower but I feel like it's far too slow and every melee class except the fighter feels like trash since you can't block, so you're basically trading blows and dying through attrition. I thought it'd be a thing where if you start a swing and get without range then back out during their attack animations you could get away with not getting hit, since there isn't even a rudimentary dodging mechanic, but that doesn't even work.

I can't wrap my head around this one. Game really needs a training area to get used to the weird, borderline janky, well, everything and it doesn't have it.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Jimbot posted:

So is Dark and Darker supposed to be some weird, almost janky game? I like the idea behind it but the combat is just too ponderous. I get that it's supposed to be deliberate and slower but I feel like it's far too slow and every melee class except the fighter feels like trash since you can't block, so you're basically trading blows and dying through attrition. I thought it'd be a thing where if you start a swing and get without range then back out during their attack animations you could get away with not getting hit, since there isn't even a rudimentary dodging mechanic, but that doesn't even work.

I can't wrap my head around this one. Game really needs a training area to get used to the weird, borderline janky, well, everything and it doesn't have it.

yeah, I'm not sure that I get *it*, whatever it is. I think this game clearly has something that people like because it's wildly popular on twitch right now but I dunno if it's just one of those easy to stream games that people who got sick of Tarkov/DMZ are picking up or what it is. It just feels like poo poo to play.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I thought people liked "mash left mouse button until either you or the enemy falls over" style of combat.
Is that not why Skyrim sold a gorrillion copies?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Jack Trades posted:

I thought people liked "mash left mouse button until either you or the enemy falls over" style of combat.
Is that not why Skyrim sold a gorrillion copies?

The game feels like playing skyrim at half speed. I think people just really like PvE with a dash of PvP extraction type games and this is the new one of those.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Skyrim sold a gorrillion copies because it let plebs think they can play a western RPG, that most noble and sophisticated of genres. Furthermore,

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Half speed is being generous. It feels like playing Skyrim with a PC from 95. Gonna swing my sword at 5 frames a second.

I'll keep trying it out since it's a demo but one look at the community around this game and it feels like it's attracting the type that'll make getting into this game a month after release borderline impossible.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

After playing some Dread Templar I am saddened to say that boomer shooters might not be for me. Are there any with slower movement speeds, closer to HL than Quake? Really the movement speed is the only thing getting me down. I just don't have the reflexes for it anymore. Shame because Dread Templar seems real good for what it is

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

big cummers ONLY posted:

After playing some Dread Templar I am saddened to say that boomer shooters might not be for me. Are there any with slower movement speeds, closer to HL than Quake? Really the movement speed is the only thing getting me down. I just don't have the reflexes for it anymore. Shame because Dread Templar seems real good for what it is

I'm not a big boomer shooter fan but I liked Ion Maiden Fury.
It was more on a slower and methodical side and the weapon variety is really good.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

big cummers ONLY posted:

Cultic might be more your speed - I played the demo a while back and it felt a lot like Half-Life. Ion Fury, too, from a lot of accounts. But I heard the lead developer of that game was a real scumbag.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Jimbot posted:

Cultic might be more your speed - I played the demo a while back and it felt a lot like Half-Life.
Cultic is great for this because while it lets you go really fast, you never have to. Also, if Half-life (2) is what you want, try ADACA.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
My brother wants to try some Warhammer 40K games and I suggested the 2011 Space Marine game. Can someone tell me why the only way to play a 10 year old game is to now spend $70 USD on the anniversary edition? The last time I glanced at Space Marine on the storefront it was about ten bucks. And all the extra cash is for cosmetic and multiplayer dlc for a game with dead servers.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Feb 9, 2023

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Arc Hammer posted:

My brother wants to try some Warhammer 40K games and I suggested the 2011 Space Marine game. Can someone tell me why the only way to play a 10 year old game is to now spend $70 USD on the anniversary edition? The last time I glanced at Space Marine on the storefront it was about ten bucks. And all the extra cash is for cosmetic and multiplayer dlc for a game with dead servers.

I'm not certain, but Games Workshop is absolutely wild with their video game pricing.

Darktide is a lot of fun but has significant problems, including the possibility that your brother will be plagued with crashes and disconnects. But if he doesn't mind rolling those dice, it's $40 and pretty easy to get at least a couple dozen hours of fun out of

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Arc Hammer posted:

Publishers like delisting the original versions of games when they do refresh releases (which in this case doesn't seem to amount to much). Of course, the base price and sale price go up.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Arc Hammer posted:

The reasonable way to play that game is either get it on GOG or to ask some sailors for help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

big cummers ONLY posted:

Overload