Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

You wake up in an innocuous bedroom. You try the door, but it is locked. Your inventory screen comes up but all you have is your Bic lighter.

A small, handwritten note slides dramatically under the door. An ambiguous shadowy hand withdraws away.

You pick up the note. It goes into your inventory. You must open the inventory screen to use the note to read the note. Once you use the note, it appears of the 3D object spinning up to the forefront of the screen. You can read the vaguely cursive English if you want, or press another button to transcribe it onto the screen in print. It reads: "You must solve the 500 piece puzzle to get the key to escape this room."

When you look to your left, you see a single puzzle box on top of a dark wooden desk. You click the puzzle box in your inventory only to find that you are out of inventory space and cannot open the box because it would take up two inventory spaces, but 3/4 slots are already taken by the box, Bic lighter, and the note.

You must first drop the note to open the puzzle box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

satanic splash-back posted:

You wake up in an innocuous bedroom. You try the door, but it is locked. Your inventory screen comes up but all you have is your Bic lighter.

A small, handwritten note slides dramatically under the door. An ambiguous shadowy hand withdraws away.

You pick up the note. It goes into your inventory. You must open the inventory screen to use the note to read the note. Once you use the note, it appears of the 3D object spinning up to the forefront of the screen. You can read the vaguely cursive English if you want, or press another button to transcribe it onto the screen in print. It reads: "You must solve the 500 piece puzzle to get the key to escape this room."

When you look to your left, you see a single puzzle box on top of a dark wooden desk. You click the puzzle box in your inventory only to find that you are out of inventory space and cannot open the box because it would take up two inventory spaces, but 3/4 slots are already taken by the box, Bic lighter, and the note.

at no point does the bic lighter do anything useful

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

satanic splash-back posted:

Opening the box triggers a cutscene that transports you to a different area. If you dropped the lighter instead of the note, it's gone forever and the game is unwinnable. But you won't find that out for a while yet.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

the holy poopacy posted:

at no point does the bic lighter do anything useful

there are multiple puzzles involving flammable objects that must be destroyed. attempting to use the lighter on them plays the same canned sound byte it always does where the protagonist wonders where their smokes went and contemplates quitting. the gameplay pauses for several seconds until the end of the clip every time you do this.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
These are game mechanics not lovely coding

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Whenever a monster spawns into the game it immediately begins looping the same scream sound effect while running directly at you ten times faster than you can move.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
You wake up in a muddy field surrounded by a chain link fence. The fence is indestructible and unclimbable.

The field is the size of a football field and completely empty.

At the opposite end of the field: a clown monster intent on killing you.

Your goal: survive.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

I am adding a crafting system to my backrooms Kirk Johnson game, it's gonna be real cool and totally make sense, both in execution and lore

naem
May 29, 2011

Nice Van My Man posted:

Whenever a monster spawns into the game it immediately begins looping the same scream sound effect while running directly at you ten times faster than you can move.

RAAWR

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

The Cosmic Dancer dips your head into Ganges forcing you to take a sip. Master of Poison and Medicine has made you drink both liquids in a single take to make you go on a karmic survival run.

Can You impress the Great Yogi, the God of Time and overcome the horror bacteria, the sewage, the plastics, the bones and ashes or will your body float dead and bloated to Patala for all eternity?

This is the India Survival Horror Game. Shiva vs your Soul.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Each day, you wake up like a normal human being in your bed, inside your brightly colored circus themed bedroom that has seen better days.

Each day, you gather peanut shells, hotdog water, and discarded bits of cotton candy you find on the ground around the derelict circus you live in and make a thin stew, and you eat it like a normal human being.

Each day, you skulk in the shadows like a normal human being, giggling to yourself while you wait for college hipsters to break into the derelict circus you live in, so you can chase after them and murder them in various circus-themed ways.

Suddenly, during a particularly tense stalking sequence through a funhouse, you catch a glimpse of yourself reflected countless times in the mirrors lining the hall. You experience an existential crisis as you realize that all of the things you did as a normal human being were in fact not normal human being things at all.

Staring back at you, straight into the camera, is an evil clown. The image of the clown will be dependent on a series of complex morality decisions throughout the game. There will also be QTEs.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
You find yourself at a bus stop in the middle of the abandoned forest. If you check the timetable and your watch you can work out the bus is coming in 3hrs real time.

If you leave the bus stop area, or do anything else than wait, the evil clown will eat you.

The surprise twist once you've gotten on the bus after the wait you see the BUS IS ALSO BEING DRIVEN BY THE EVIL CLOWN!!!

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Don't you dare program a single line of code that could be construed as combat, every resource we have goes to monsterfucking

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Fellas this thread is far too spooky for my liking. Can't you develop a pastel-coloured game about sadness and friendship instead?

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Does anyone know if the music from Halloween is copyrighted?

Also Susan, get me a dictionary.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

You walk through an enormous statue garden filled with thousands of statues searching for one with a red ruby belly button, except one of the statues is stalking you, only moving when you're not looking at it. Also there are a few statues that have blinking ruby eyes that will alert the antagonist statue to your location when they spot you.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
has anyone said haunted menu yet. The game is you're being chased by and evil clown and you win if you click on the start button with out being eaten.

I feel setting the game in the game menu itself is very meta and says a lot about games and things. Also it will mean won't have to make anything but a start menu so that should save a lot of time.

Turpitude II
Nov 10, 2014
you're in a dark, abandoned office building at night, with only your faithful dog as a companion. as you walk around and search desks for information as to why you're there, and what happened, you hear squeaky footsteps behind you, and mutters of chittering nonsense language, but never see their source. every piece of paper you find is blank and, upon inspection, seems to emit slow eerie carnival music, explaining nothing.

eventually you come across the remains of knocked-over and smashed video cameras, as if savaged by a deranged monkey. you find one that still works and you press play to see the last footage it recorded.

through the static and glitches you see the face of a gaunt and floppy man, smug, leering directly at you... when the video cuts out and you lower the camera AAAAAAA JUMPSCARE HE'S RIGHT THERE IN YOUR FACE MAKING THE SAME EXPRESSION AAAAAA AND HE'S NUDE EXCEPT FOR A PAIR OF TENNIS SHOES HOLY poo poo YOU'VE BEEN PRANKED!!!!!!!!!!!!

the indie survival horror game is stealth marketing for fun pranks for jim to play on dwight

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It's a fairly standard horror carnival experience, but we've replaced all the normal carnival music with chiptune versions of mid-2000's emo classics played at 30% speed. It really makes the target market stop and think about their childhood.

Which is a perfect time for the George Bush clown to ambush them. We really think that extra layer of satire adds to the message.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
The game tracks the name and address of everyone who downloads the game and then an actor in a clown costume goes to the player's house and jumpscares them IRL.

We'll only sell five copies so this is pretty feasible.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

You wake up inside a deep, hallway-like cavern and must navigate your way back to the surface.

When you reach the surface you discover that, actually, you've been going DOWN the entire time and are in hell.

If you collect the supplemental journal entries while exploring you'd already know this, as it's revealed that the player character is actually a drunk driver who killed his wife and daughter in a horrible accident and then jumped off a bridge.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
You are a mouse trying to survive in the suburban home of a murderous clown. Steal food and avoid traps to survive. You can chew through some destroyable objects.

Through journal entries and news clips, you learn that the world is on the brink of nuclear war. In the final stage of the game, the bombs are falling amd you must make it to the basement before your house is destroyed.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Hmm, how about in one of the audio logs the player can find, they find out that the charcter that the playing has clown-phobia, so when the evil clown chases them it's particularly scary.

What the natural food of clowns, cats? I mean I assume clowns are carnivores so guessing cats.

Maybe the player is also playing as a character that is also a cat. One with clown-phobia.

Might as well set it in a library. A 90's library.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

My buddy Mike can do a pretty good Jeffrey Combs impersonation, let's have him record a bunch of audio talking about going crazy and stuff. No, he doesn't need a microphone, it's more authentic if he just records it on his phone. We can remove the background noise later, it's fine.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
You wake up strapped to an operating table. You have vague recollections of being kidnapped by murderous clowns.

You're able to escape your bonds by burning through them with your bic lighter.

You catch your reflection in a filthy, blood-splattered mirror. You've been turned into a clown!

It looks like you woke up before the final stage of the surgery (brain surgery to make you evil) was completed.

There's the sound of squeaky shoes and voices in the hallway. The surgeons are coming back from their clown coffee break. If they catch you, they'll cut open your head and turn you fully into one of them!

Flee through the halls of a haunted insane asylum taken over by murderous clowns. Use your appearance to mingle with the clowns as you attempt to escape, but beware: if you give yourself away, the clowns will catch you.

If you collect all the journal entries hidden throughout the game you discover that you were an inmate at the asylum for evil clowns and the brain surgery was supposed to turn you good. But you escaped before it could be completed and now you're loose in the world and free to kill again.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Version 1.1.2 patch notes

-TVs now display static instead of re-reuns of American Hotrod
-Evil clown setting changed to "murderer" instead of "college libertarian"
-Thanks to player feedback, the "tummy ache" meter now fills up 25% more slowly
-We have heard your feedback, engaged with the discourse and listened. The "Black Lake Asylum for the Mentally Insane" has been renamed "African-American Lake Tik-Tok house for the Neurodivergent"
- VHS audiologs no longer stop working when the player reaches "Mad Magnus' Mansion of Magnets"
- New "washed out and grey gently caress this" brightness setting added.
- "Nightmare" mode can now be unlocked upon completing the game on "Sex Dream about your Aunt" mode.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
You're an ordinary guy who receives a VHS tape in the mail. The tape is from your estranged daughter who is an investigative journalist. Something really strange is going on at the abandoned carnival and she's going to investigate. She's left instructions for this tape to be mailed to you if no one hears from her within three days.

You grab your trusty ballpoint pen and a fistful of glow sticks. It's time to go save your daughter.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
"Is a clown not entitled to the honk of his own nose?"

These are the haunting words of Zonko the Magnificent, founder of Carnivalantis.

You've been invited to the mysterious all-clown underwater utopia of Carnivalantis. When you arrive, however, you discover something has gone terribly wrong. The peaceful clown citizens have turned on each other in a murderous frenzy. Your goal: escape.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
You play as a cat-girl being chased through the ruins of a delapidated tv studio by a darkly twisted version of Alf. It's all very ironic, but there will be a scene with a film producer who pressures you for sex so we can sell it as having a serious social message.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's just like any other hide-em-up game, but your feet have been replaced by clown horns and your movement is controlled by mapping one foot to each analogue stick on the controller.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
After a few entries horror series always end up in space. So we should do that. Was thinking maybe we make the characters distant relatives of the survivors of the first few games. You know just give them all the same last name. So a group of teens are going to an abandoned space cabin in the moon woods.

Anyway how close can we get to the killer clowns from out space clown design with out getting in to legal issues? Like pretty close right?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
We're making a twitch integration system where chat can submit headshots with some basic feature mapping and some of the enemies will have those faces under their clown makeup.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Tree Bucket posted:

Fellas this thread is far too spooky for my liking. Can't you develop a pastel-coloured game about sadness and friendship instead?

Uh, excuse me? The game is clearly an analogy for my childhood friendship and that time Timmy came over and broke my Wii controller.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Lets just rip off the Ravenholm level from Half-Life again

crusty
Apr 16, 2015

Crustacean
Our revolutionary game mechanic is that the player can pick up almost any item in the game and carry it around, even if it's never needed. Every room has at least 4 plastic bowls. You have 10 inventory slots and the only way to beat the clown in the final showdown is to have at least 9 plastic bowls in your inventory.

naem
May 29, 2011

you walk in to a series of mostly empty rooms in an unusual abandoned looking setting looking for clues

until you walk over a certain area of floor and that’s when the monsters jump out

it’s always one area of the floor in every room

there isn’t much else to do but gather some sparse power ups and the monsters are pretty hard but the jump scare is the game

find the trigger plate in each room and then restart each level as you spend a couple hours finding a spot the monsters can’t reach you and you shoot at them safely

or try to get multiple rooms worth of monsters to all run out into the hallway looking for you and realize they have like three animations and one noise the make as they clip through each other and have no programming to interact or acknowledge each other as you begin lose interest

will you chose the blue power up or the red? why is this factory in a victorian mansion? is that the same monster as last level but purple now?

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
It’s called Weakling Simulator. You play as Anne Frank with typhus. Nobody ever wants to play a survival horror game again after playing it.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

You can toggle the VHS filter in the menu

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Player character looks at a video of his daughter/ex-wife/whatever's begging him not come looking for her. Instantly takes out a Polaroid photo of her from his wallet and says "she told me not to come looking for her". Written on the back of the photo is "don't come looking for me xx"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
You play as a lady trying to escape from a claustrophobic relationship by diving into a dangerous environment, but no matter what you tell him, he just keeps following you.