Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009
hard to tell, but 10h at 80 sounds like it was over proofed. Next time try poking it, if it springs right back it is under proofed, if it stays depressed it is over proofed, if it comes back slowly it is ready.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
A couple of well-timed YouTube recommendations have put me on a flatbread/skilletbread(?) kick. Anyone have a favorite type of bread that they cook on a stovetop?

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

C-Euro posted:

A couple of well-timed YouTube recommendations have put me on a flatbread/skilletbread(?) kick. Anyone have a favorite type of bread that they cook on a stovetop?

i'm still working on perfecting them myself but definitely add edmonton-style green onion pancakes to your repertoire: https://youtu.be/D3FTJESc1GY

make sure you roll these out as flat as you can though, they might not cook all the way through otherwise

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

C-Euro posted:

fresh english muffins are loving amazing

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

EightFlyingCars posted:

i'm still working on perfecting them myself but definitely add edmonton-style green onion pancakes to your repertoire: https://youtu.be/D3FTJESc1GY

make sure you roll these out as flat as you can though, they might not cook all the way through otherwise

Oh man, my wife is a big green onion/scallion pancake head and she's been feeling down lately, time to earn some relationship points.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
If she prefers the flaky, layery style (I do), Kenji's scallion pancakes are a go-to.

For stovetop breads, you can also pretty much go down the list of Indian breads: naan, roti, paratha, etc., and all their varieties.

Dutch babies are fun, but they go in the oven even though they're made in a skillet

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

C-Euro posted:

Someone in this thread turned me on to them. Toutons, I make them almost any time I'm making bread now.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

C-Euro posted:

Harcha, injera, roti, pide, paratha, msemen, socca, corn tortilla, flour tortilla, lakhukh, johnnycake...

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I think my crust issue was that it hadn't been cooked enough. Loaves were coming out light brown, now I'm doing them hotter they're darker and are staying relatively crisp through cooling. Also the flavour of the crust is outstanding.

gently caress I love bread.

Stupid Decisions
Nov 10, 2009
Slippery Tilde

C-Euro posted:

Crumpets. Possibly the best breakfast bread, super easy and just as good toasted the next day. If your not sure what they are then best to watch a couple of YouTube videos to get an idea of what the holes on top should look like.

Below recipe is from the Bread Ahead book but plenty of other options around. I would say don't rely on the cooking times too much as you really need to judge it on how cooked the top is.

Ingredients
6 g (1 heaped teaspoon) fresh yeast
200 g (scant 1 cup) warm water
150 g (5 oz/1¼ cups) strong white (bread) flour
2 g (1/3 teaspoon) fine sea salt
½ teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
butter (or lard), for frying

Description
For best results, the batter should be made the day before and left in the refrigerator overnight to activate the yeast. These can be cooked in either butter or lard, but most important is a low to medium heat to ensure they are fully cooked through. I believe crumpets are one of the hidden gems of the British baking world, especially when oozing with butter.

Directions
Dissolve the yeast in the warm water.
Add the flour, salt, sugar and baking powder to a large mixing bowl and stir to combine. Make a well in the middle, pour in the yeasted water and whisk vigorously for about 2–3 minutes until you have a thick and slightly aerated batter.
Cover the mixing bowl with a plate or shower cap and leave to stand for 3–4 hours at room temperature. This rest period will help to really develop the flavour and texture of your crumpets. Alternatively, leave the bowl at room temperature for 1 hour, then cover it and place in the refrigerator overnight.
When ready to cook, lightly grease two 9-cm (3½-in) diameter metal rings (or as many as you have) with butter.
Heat a small knob of butter in a large frying pan (skillet) over a medium-low heat. When the butter has melted and started to foam gently, place the greased rings into the pan. Pour 2 tablespoons of batter into each ring – the batter should be about 1 cm (½ in) deep.
After 1 minute, bubbles should start to appear on the surface of the batter. Immediately reduce the heat to low and continue to cook the crumpets for a further 1–2 minutes. When the bubbles start to ‘pop’, reduce the heat to as low as it will go and cook the crumpets for a further 3–4 minutes. The crumpets are ready when the bubbles stop popping and the surface is cooked all over. The time it takes to cook your crumpets will depend on the size of the ring you use and the depth of the batter, so do look for the different stages of bubbling.
Gently release the crumpets from their rings and serve warm with plenty of butter and jam. These will be just as delicious the next day, toasted to perfection.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.
First bread of the day is out of the oven and lookin good. Next loaf is going in - now comes the hard part, waiting for dinner...

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
I've got two dutch ovens so that I can do two loaves one at a time :)

Luckily, I have a large enough oven at current place. Old apartment had a little baby oven.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

gently caress I love bread.

:emptyquote:

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I have mastered the crispy crust, following suggestions in this thread.

Started in a dutch oven at 230°C with an ice cube and the lid on. Removed the lid after 15 minutes, sprayed with water and left the lid off. Put the loaf on the oven rack after 15 more minutes, sprayed again. Removed after 7 more minutes, by which point it was deep but not dark brown.

Instead of wrinkling and getting soft, the crust cracked into platelets and has remained crisp and very tasty. Now I'm going to focus on how different slashes affect appearance - so far it feels like a deep slash results in the best spring but the least craggy top.

P.S. gently caress I love bread. It's taking all my willpower not to eat the whole thing today.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

I have mastered the crispy crust, following suggestions in this thread.

Started in a dutch oven at 230°C with an ice cube and the lid on. Removed the lid after 15 minutes, sprayed with water and left the lid off. Put the loaf on the oven rack after 15 more minutes, sprayed again. Removed after 7 more minutes, by which point it was deep but not dark brown.

Instead of wrinkling and getting soft, the crust cracked into platelets and has remained crisp and very tasty. Now I'm going to focus on how different slashes affect appearance - so far it feels like a deep slash results in the best spring but the least craggy top.

P.S. gently caress I love bread. It's taking all my willpower not to eat the whole thing today.

Nice! Glad it worked for you

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009

Greatbacon posted:

fresh english muffins are loving amazing

agreed on the Englishs muffins

e. I'm Mexicans so tortillas are their own category for me but I guess they technically flatbread, if you have never had a fresh made flour tortilla you are missing out... melt some butter on them, a slice of avocado and some salt.. mmm...

ogarza fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Feb 7, 2023

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Been struggling with my loaves recently so i decided to switch up the flour for my starter and feeding schedule a bit and got my best one in months

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Thanks everyone for the bread suggestions!

Digging through my cabinets and found some bread flour I had forgotten about. Would a dough made from a combination of bread flour and APF have any problems besides "the resulting bread is going to be weird" (which I don't care about in this instance, I'm just making some flatbreads for snacking)?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

C-Euro posted:

Thanks everyone for the bread suggestions!

Digging through my cabinets and found some bread flour I had forgotten about. Would a dough made from a combination of bread flour and APF have any problems besides "the resulting bread is going to be weird" (which I don't care about in this instance, I'm just making some flatbreads for snacking)?

Nope, it’ll be totally fine, especially for flatbreads.

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

Just pulled out one of my most successful loaves in a while after playing around with hydration % a bit. I'd been making FWSY loaves with 100g starter added from the fridge for flavour (something from his newest book that I add in whenever I'm still using yeast in the recipe).

Most of those with the starter added come out around 75% hydration, so I tried this one with 65% and it worked great. Really easy to shape and score, I assume it'll have a tighter crumb but I mostly prefer that for what I use anyway. Definitely the best oven spring I've gotten in a while.

Toast King fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Feb 9, 2023

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
I'd been making single boules for the past few months and just did a double batch and forgot to double the salt, baking tonight and hoping they don't come out too bland.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Just means you get to sprinkle a little salt on them with your butter. :yum:

Good looking loaves here dacap and toast king!

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.
My first attempt at a ciabatta style sourdough loaf - came out pretty good, got some things I wanna try for the next round!

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

^^^ that looks phenomenal, oh my god

gonna throw my own efforts onto the pile. this just came out of the oven a couple of hours ago:

nothing too exotic, just an 80% hydration white flour loaf that i gave a few stretch and folds and cold fermented in the fridge overnight. you can see where the crust was starting to buckle a bit on the sides; i didn't bake it for long enough initially, but a second bake got me a nice, crispy, crackly crust. i gave it a more aggressive scoring than usual before going into the oven too, which not only looks pretty and gives lots of that ultra crisp scoring spread, but i think that also helped the crumb open up. seriously this is the best crumb i've ever gotten in a loaf

welsh rarebit tonight?

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

It's not quite bread related but I'm having a ton of fun exploring the world of sourdough and discard in recipes. Already made great pizza bases, waffles, cinammon rolls, cake and some very nice and soft chocolate chip cookies this morning. Just constantly impressed at how well it works in anything involving flour and water.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

How do you use it for the cookies?

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

Enfys posted:

How do you use it for the cookies?

I used this recipe with about 1/2 cup discard straight from the fridge. Only other difference is I mixed by hand instead of in a stand mixer. Also used entirely bread flour with no issue, but the effect of that probably varies between countries and even brands. Mine in Aus was about 12% strength.

Toast King fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Feb 11, 2023

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Toast King posted:

It's not quite bread related but I'm having a ton of fun exploring the world of sourdough and discard in recipes. Already made great pizza bases, waffles, cinammon rolls, cake and some very nice and soft chocolate chip cookies this morning. Just constantly impressed at how well it works in anything involving flour and water.

King Arthur has a good discard biscuit recipe. I need to make them again, come to think of it.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Are any of you doing a cold ferment in the fridge in a banneton after final shaping? I saw that as a suggestion for making scoring easier and getting a better oven spring. I can imagine it being easier to score since I think I have more trouble the warmer my dough is.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Are any of you doing a cold ferment in the fridge in a banneton after final shaping? I saw that as a suggestion for making scoring easier and getting a better oven spring. I can imagine it being easier to score since I think I have more trouble the warmer my dough is.

I did this on my last batch and while they were easier to score, they did not have better oven spring in this particular case. I think I actually prefer the natural cracking in the crust over scoring, unless I'm making a fancy looking loaf as a gift.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I do that. For the first proove, it gets about, 5 or 6 hours, with folds every hour. Then when I see bubbles under the skin, I shove it in the banneton and put it all in the fridge until the next morning. But my recipe has been cobbled together and I don't get great spring.

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I do this sometimes but its more for flavour development overnight than anything. I also had a lot of trouble with scoring warm high hydration loaves and deflating them a bit, so coming from the fridge helped prevent that which indirectly gave better oven spring for me.

The last couple I've been taking the banneton from the fridge and sticking it in the freezer for 15-20min right before scoring, it makes it even easier to do. Doesn't affect the baking quality in the end. I did this yesterday trying a heart-shaped loaf where I cut more off the dough before baking and it really helped hold it together. I made the loaf a bit too big so sadly the heart shape got a bit squished away as it baked but it still kind of worked, it was a fun test.

SmokingFrog0641
Oct 29, 2011

Democratic Pirate posted:

King Arthur has a good discard biscuit recipe. I need to make them again, come to think of it.

I would second this. I made these last night with my wife’s help, and they have come out well several times. First thing I’ve baked in about 6 weeks after Covid wrecked my chest and made lifting and moving things around painful. It was nice to get back into the swing with a nice recipe and gives me something to do with the sourdough starter kit I got for Xmas.

Here the recipe is:

https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/buttery-sourdough-biscuits-recipe

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Can someone help me diagnose my sourdough? I had some pretty good, consistent results for awhile but I think the city added a bunch of chlorine to the water and it really weakened the starter for the last four weeks or so. I switched to whole wheat and zero water-filtered water.

Each loaf has been getting better, but still lots of underproofing that I couldn't overcome. Until today, when I was really happy with the action of the yeast.

I also tried baking directly on a floured pizza stone instead of letting my bread rest on a peel (read: upside-down baking sheet) on parchment paper and then transferring the paper onto the stone. Thought that might be contributing to my gummy crust, like this sad attempt at a miche:

Today I was using the Pain au Levain recipe from Bread by Jeffrey Hamelman:

And I made a timelapse to try to understand better why my scoring seems to have failed so brutally. Sorry about the focus, this was just a quick and dirty thing with my phone:
https://i.imgur.com/BG0prze.mp4

Here's some pics of the sad failures:

And I didn't even get a nice bottom crust from all this flour:

Any ideas? I really don't know what I'm doing wrong here. :(

Edit: fixed timelapse link

tuyop fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Feb 14, 2023

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Those bursts with scoring usually imply an underproof or too shallow if a score. Probably under with your tight crumb?

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

before i started baking my loaves in a pot, i'd have this sort of thing happen all the time because the crusts would dry out early while the bread was still rising, so instead of a nice even rise it'd break through the prematurely browned crust in random spots. they'd look pretty misshapen just like those do.

moisture is really important for the first ten-to-fifteen minutes of baking. what was your situation like there?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

EightFlyingCars posted:

before i started baking my loaves in a pot, i'd have this sort of thing happen all the time because the crusts would dry out early while the bread was still rising, so instead of a nice even rise it'd break through the prematurely browned crust in random spots. they'd look pretty misshapen just like those do.

moisture is really important for the first ten-to-fifteen minutes of baking. what was your situation like there?

Good question!

For this batch I started the preheat with a roaster full of water to make steam. So like 3L of water baked at 450ish for about an hour. Trying to get some steam here but idk

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Looks like some underproofing, somehow. I put this in a clear bowl and waited for it to double before shaping. It also seemed very strong so I didn’t preshape it at all

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Yes I do a 16 hr cold ferment in the bannetons, wrapped in a plastic bag. Great development of flavor, and helps the loaf hold a good shape during the initial spring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Ishamael posted:

Yes I do a 16 hr cold ferment in the bannetons, wrapped in a plastic bag. Great development of flavor, and helps the loaf hold a good shape during the initial spring.

That is a beautiful loaf and a classy presentation.

In other news, my last loaf was a bit poo poo because I didn't knead enough and it ended up too dense.

Question - the bigas I have been making are 20% of all the ingredients. Should I be omitting salt from them?