Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Tiny Timbs posted:

Yeah I figured they’d be doing less than what you get with PrimeHack. Nintendo’s rereleases/remasters are always the bare minimum.

Back in the day I bought a Gamecube just so I could play Metroid Prime.

I can't say I'm disappointed if they did exactly what I expected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Name Change posted:

Fond memories of Quake III LAN parties, a game which I'm not sure anyone ever actually bought

lol I got a copy of UT99 from some kid in high school

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I was all ready to buy Metroid Prime but 40 dollars for some graphics on a title that even at the time had some rough edges just isnt happening.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
Metroid Prime looks real good with the new models/textures and even has some of the cut Gamecube effects (gun steam from firing a lot, waves when shooting water). Do yourself a favor and go split joycon controls in pointer mode though. Being able to fire missiles around corners and quickly shoot around is still The Best (also flicking to jump w/ morphball). They got got all the good bits from the GCN and Wii versions here.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
My saves are kinda unwieldy in amid evil, if I nuke them all could I jump into a harder difficulty or will it kill all my progress and make me play easy again?

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
I use this comparison a lot, but in the time we went from the Playstation 4 to the Playstation 5, PCs went from Wolfenstein 3D to Quake 3.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Barudak posted:

I was all ready to buy Metroid Prime but 40 dollars for some graphics on a title that even at the time had some rough edges just isnt happening.
I probably would've bought it if I didn't already play it a few months back, and I'm only good for a Prime playthrough once a decade or so.

Would love to see a DF Retro comparison of the remaster.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I would not hesitate a second to pay the full $79.99 CAD for a Metroid Prime remaster so this is a steal for me

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Barudak posted:

:psyduck: bro what lol, Prime looked fantastic back in the day

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Yeah it was beautiful. I didn't even get far but damned if I was't impressed

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Rocket Pan posted:

I'm not super sure if we re-vis'd the maps or just didn't use vis at all and thus weren't affected by the problem.
Must've re-vised them. I just tried the remaster content in vkQuake and water transparency is there, but not in OG.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

spongeh posted:

I use this comparison a lot, but in the time we went from the Playstation 4 to the Playstation 5, PCs went from Wolfenstein 3D to Quake 3.

We did get the ps4 pro in the middle of that tho

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Good soup! posted:

:psyduck: bro what lol, Prime looked fantastic back in the day

Graphics were great, the rough edges are mechanical/game design

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Good soup! posted:

:psyduck: bro what lol

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

The Kins posted:

I think the Quake Remaster just kinda ignores vis data and renders the whole map no matter what, because modern systems can just kind of grunt through that when they're not the Arcane Dimensions monstrosities.

We actually found that trying to use vis data was slowing the Switch down for DotM.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Must've re-vised them. I just tried the remaster content in vkQuake and water transparency is there, but not in OG.

Yeah that adds up. We must have redone the vis when we rebuilt the lightmaps, but simply ignored the vis data. Pretty much any modern tool takes water transparency into account now automatically.

Rocket Pan fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Feb 9, 2023

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Ask me how I learned to ride rockets in Ultrakill, got proficient enough that I thought I'd mastered it, and then lost the ability seemingly entirely in the span of probably 90 minutes or so. I'm so tired of trying for these p ranks. I'd rather just hop onto violent and play it like I did regular: practically, efficiently, and conservatively cowardly. So tired of getting screwed because of style but I want to be able to play all the stuff on at least one difficulty when the completed game ships. Great game though, still. Once you chain together a couple of midair rockets you feel so badass.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Did the people complaining about MP remaster watch the video? I don't think they did. It's not just the GC rom thrown into an emulator like primehack is. The graphics are vastly improved.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

In Training posted:

I can't even imagine how fuckin incredible it must have been for the 90s PC gamers. Could you imagine, for instance, your freshman year of high school is 1994. Doom II. by 96 your gibbing freaks on Quake, Half Life 1 when you graduate in 98 and then spending all 4 years of college getting drunk at Quake 3 lans. Good lord. We need to go back.

I was a little late on the first years of that run, but for sure the 90's were absolutely superb for that era of gaming. I'll extend it to 2001 as well with Halo - which I think sometimes doesn't get all the dues it perhaps deserves in terms of the multiplayer FPS space.

Every single game you mentioned there in your post are in my favourites list on Steam and are "must keep installed" tier. To this day I'd still rather play any game listed there over just about anything else.

Bumhead fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Feb 9, 2023

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

The backlash against halo by super serious fps types was eyerolling even at the time but it's still a good game. 2 is where it really made its bones though I feel and 3 is about where they perfected it

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

I was still big into UT99 at the time, but after spending about 8 hours with Blood Gulch at a friends house, Halo remains the only time I've rushed out the very next day to buy a console for just 1 game.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Did the people complaining about MP remaster watch the video? I don't think they did. It's not just the GC rom thrown into an emulator like primehack is. The graphics are vastly improved.

I like it, it looks VERY nice, especially the rain and the light rays, etc. That being said, until it comes down in price a bit, I'm happy as anyone to play the trilogy through Primehack.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

It even has new effects that weren't there originally, like the rain doesn't just fall onto Samus' visor in the original, there's even water physics for it falling onto her arm canon and it falls and drips from her differently depending on where she's aiming.

It's called a remaster but visually, it's essentially a remake. Even leaves on trees are properly rendered now.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

I probably would pick this up day one if I didn't just replay MP1 a few months ago. I'll probably still pick this up because it's, allegedly, "that good". That said, I'm curious if the game makes the cardinal sin of only having joycon gyro support and can't be used with the Split Pad Pro. Not that you really need gyro in MP1 since the game is built around (Z)L-targetting.

I think there's understandable disappointment in the remaster only being MP1 and not the entire trilogy--I mean, realistically it's not fair to expect them to have been able to put that much work in all three titles and make Prime 4, but the reality is that folks who want to play the entire trilogy will inevitably be disappointed with the existing versions of MP2 & 3 even though I think they still look very good in Dolphin upscaled.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Mr. Fortitude posted:

It even has new effects that weren't there originally, like the rain doesn't just fall onto Samus' visor in the original, there's even water physics for it falling onto her arm canon and it falls and drips from her differently depending on where she's aiming.

Those rain effects you mentioned were in the GC original and removed from the Wii port.

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
My favorite memory from 90’s PC Gaming was the demo discs. All these new cool games to look forward to that you had no idea existed.

Talking contemporary “retro” games, holy poo poo is Cultic good. I bounced off it initially because the first music track grated on me, and I was put off by how compressed the colors are. Glad I gave it another shot because the combat feels so fun and punchy. Really nice atmosphere, too. What a time to be playing games, it really feels like we’re getting some incredible stuff from solo devs/small teams.

Power Walrus fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Feb 9, 2023

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Cultic is fantastic, easily my top retro shooter.

Anyhow, been playing Fashion Police Squad and is it just me or do most of the enemies take just a little too much damage? I feel it would have a really great flow with a couple of small numerical adjustments.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Cultic is really fun but that slippery rear end footing bumps it down below the best for me. It’s definitely authentic to a retro shooter vibe that you’re taking your life in your hands any time you have to climb stairs, but that doesn’t mean I like it.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
https://twitter.com/Jawmuncher/status/1623646131656744961

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Mak0rz posted:

Those rain effects you mentioned were in the GC original and removed from the Wii port.

No. They weren't. In the original Gamecube release, rain just bounces off the arm canon in a simple 2D particle effect. In the remaster, water actually collects and dribbles down the arm canon and movement affects how it dribbles down the canon. There's a gigantic difference in how it looks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jaypbay8rt4

I recommend watching this, because I think some of you misremember how Prime 1 actually looked like on Gamecube.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
The MP remaster has identical gameplay to the original right? Doesn't that make it squarely a remaster, albeit one with very high production value?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Never played any MP game so I’ll probably pick this up. Nice that it’s $40 and not $60 like the Advance Wars remake

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Here's a thought I've had: isn't the BFG more iconic in its later incarnations (big, slow moving ball that zaps everything as it moves) than it's original one (kind of a giant shotgun)? I say this because whenever a game includes a BFG "tribute" weapon, it always functions like it does from Quake II and onward.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Mordja posted:

Here's a thought I've had: isn't the BFG more iconic in its later incarnations (big, slow moving ball that zaps everything as it moves) than it's original one (kind of a giant shotgun)? I say this because whenever a game includes a BFG "tribute" weapon, it always functions like it does from Quake II and onward.

It's certainly simpler to understand how the Q2 bff works.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

ExcessBLarg! posted:

The MP remaster has identical gameplay to the original right? Doesn't that make it squarely a remaster, albeit one with very high production value?

Almost- they added true dual analog controls, which the original did not have

But from that video, it looks like all the animation rigs and cinematics are exactly the same, they just increased model and texture detail and added better particles and effects and etc around them. I believe them when they say it’s a remaster, all the gameplay code and much of the non-visual assets must be only minimally altered. Or it’s like the Halo MCC, where it’s actually the same game running underneath and then a new renderer takes over at the right time

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Yeah. The only changes are the visuals and giving you the option of the original Gamecube control scheme, pointer controls like the Wii version or a modern dual stick shooter control scheme. A bit of a shame, I feel like the relic hunt could have been improved.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

If you make new graphics assets it’s a remake.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

ExcessBLarg! posted:

It's a meaningless term for a videogame, really, but it does seem like this is in the spirit of a "remaster" due to what you said.

(I think a more directly accurate analogy would be like if they recompiled the source code with updated drivers or something... But that would be extremely boring and also usually unnecessary if it was engineered correctly in the first place!)

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I recommend watching this, because I think some of you misremember how Prime 1 actually looked like on Gamecube.
Yeah I was gonna say, I feel like some people have seriously rose-tinted glasses on what MP looked like.

I realized this when watching LobosJR play it blind recently and, hoo boy, that skybox in the tutorial area is rough.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

If you make new graphics assets it’s a remake.
Yeah, I don't agree with that. If a game adheres to the fundamental design of the original and doesn't take liberty with regard to game play, plot beats, etc., then it's a remaster.

Zero Mission and Samus Returns are remakes of their respective originals. This pretty squarely fits the concept of a remaster even if the actual game assets were completely redone vs. AI upscale or whatever crap gets done in other remasters.

Which isn't a statement about the quality or the production value here. Clearly it's a very high-value remaster.

Sir Lemming posted:

I think a more directly accurate analogy would be like if they recompiled the source code with updated drivers or something...
That's just a port.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Feb 9, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

A remaster means you are taking the original assets and exporting them (mastering them) again in better quality. That is the definition of a remaster.