Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

speng31b posted:

Worse than that, they're citing unnamed "Kyiv military officials"

lmfao

Cerebral Bore posted:

never trust a post, he said with a post :thunk:

Imagine trusting literally anything I say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, they also say 300-500k and don’t say to they mean currently engaged forces as well.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

1,800 tanks ? when do the leopards show up

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
1800 tanks + 500,000 troops multiplied by russian competence = 0 gains

speng31b
May 8, 2010

love that nothing at all was learned from the AP Poland article 5 missile reporting, there are still just a bunch of Ukrainian dudes sitting around who can text unfiltered propaganda about massively escalatory military actions to people and get it widely reported

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Regarde Aduck posted:

what there are punishments less than ban+30?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

lol like you don't know from personal experience

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
thats the joke.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I support freeing all political prisoners but mostly Fly Molo and Sex Pig.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ah yes, i see the elite babushka core has been mobilised as well

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Steve Walt has a decent piece up on Foreign Policy, entitled "The Top Five Lessons from Year One of Ukraine's War." Some of it is the obligatory Western media "Zelensky is a great leader" succ but there's also some good takes in it:

quote:

Lesson No. 4: War empowers extremists and makes compromise harder.

Because the stakes are high, war is a time when cool reasoning and careful calculation should be especially prized. Unfortunately, it is often instead a time when bluster, wishful thinking, moral posturing, patriotic chest-thumping, and groupthink take over and hard-line views drown out more measured voices. As a result, it becomes harder to discuss any sort of compromise, even when neither side has a clear path to victory. That’s not the only reason wars are hard to end, but it is an important one.

As I described at length a couple of months ago, public debate on Ukraine has been extraordinarily vituperative, with hawkish pundits competing to outdo each other in expressing support for Kyiv, while smearing alternative perspectives as naive, immoral, pro-Russian, or worse. (Something similar may be happening on the other side as well: Although it is hard to draw reliable inferences from Russian commentary on the war, Putin’s most vocal Russian critics appear to be mostly hard-liners accusing him of not executing the war with sufficient vigor or ruthlessness.)

It is possible that Ukraine’s most ardent supporters are correct and the West should do “whatever it takes” to enable Kyiv to liberate all its territory. But I wonder if all those hawkish voices at the Atlantic or Atlantic Council (not to mention some outspoken Eastern European politicians) have ever stopped to ask themselves if they might be wrong. Is it barely possible that helping prolong the war could lead to a worse outcome for Ukraine? There’s a rather disturbing track record here: Generous external support for local forces in Vietnam, Iraq, and Afghanistan kept those wars going but didn’t leave those countries in better shape when the United States finally decided that victory was not possible and went home. It’s true that U.S. and NATO forces are not fighting in Ukraine, but we have a lot of skin in the game. Peace or a cease-fire may still be a long way off, but thinking about how to shut it down is in everyone’s interest, and especially Ukraine’s.

Lesson No. 5: A strategy of restraint would have reduced the risk of war.

The final lesson—and arguably the most important—is that this war would have been far less likely if the United States had adopted a strategy of foreign-policy restraint. Had U.S. and Western policymakers heeded repeated warnings about the consequences of open-ended NATO enlargement (including the advice of George F. Kennan; this wide-ranging, bipartisan group of experienced experts; this group of similarly distinguished diplomats and defense officials; or CIA Director William Burns, who is also a former ambassador to Russia) instead of trying to incorporate Ukraine into Western security and economic institutions, Russia’s incentive to invade would have been greatly reduced. Putin bears primary responsibility for launching a brutal and illegal war, but the Biden administration and its predecessors are far from blameless. The Ukrainian people are now suffering from Putin’s ruthlessness, but also from Western officials’ hubris and naivete.

Nothing we don't already know itt but it's nice someone with a platform is saying it.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Frosted Flake posted:

I support freeing all political prisoners but mostly Fly Molo and Sex Pig.

free these men and/or women

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

Majorian posted:

It's the Post, so lol:rolleye:

where do you go for pictures of spider man?

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/PeImeniPusha/status/1623770418984124416

massaro's going to be flying a few more ss symbols and quietly take it down when the war ends at this rate

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Has there ever been a case of fascists quietly taking down their symbols without being obliterated in a war first?

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Slavvy posted:

Has there ever been a case of fascists quietly taking down their symbols without being obliterated in a war first?

Edit: they did cry about that one and a few others.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Majorian posted:

Steve Walt has a decent piece up on Foreign Policy, entitled "The Top Five Lessons from Year One of Ukraine's War." Some of it is the obligatory Western media "Zelensky is a great leader" succ but there's also some good takes in it:

Nothing we don't already know itt but it's nice someone with a platform is saying it.

He's just doing laundry. The point of the piece is not to point out that the US could have avoided this, but to reinforce the myth that the United States wanted to avoid it, that the U.S. wanted something, anything else to happen than what is happening right now.

We never choose these conflicts. We never meticulously create the conditions for them to happen. We never provoke. We are always just falling into these things, due to our "hubris and naivete," which we will absolutely remember for next time!

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
the usa did everything correctly. they've slammed the door shut on any cooperation between russia and europe and cowed the EU into subservience to american producers and interests. russian soldiers are dying without having to shed any american blood.

the next step is cutting europe off from china, and also china off from south america/africa. it'd take a lot of creativity to pull off but never write off the defending champions

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

He's just doing laundry. The point of the piece is not to point out that the US could have avoided this, but to reinforce the myth that the United States wanted to avoid it, that the U.S. wanted something, anything else to happen than what is happening right now.

We never choose these conflicts. We never meticulously create the conditions for them to happen. We never provoke. We are always just falling into these things, due to our "hubris and naivete," which we will absolutely remember for next time!

I think you’re assigning the wrong motive to Walt here. His whole shtick isn’t “the US doesn’t want conflicts but just stumbles into them.” He’s a dyed-in-the-wool Realist, and like Mearscheimer, he is all about going “See? SEE?! International relations are anarchic, states are black boxes, the only thing that matters are power dynamics between states, non-intervention is often to states’ benefit,” etc. He’s often on the defensive in his work, but it’s not really about defending the West per se.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Raskolnikov38 posted:

is the 500k number for everyone in the war or did Russia manage to mobilize a half million man offensive army group in the rear

Honestly doesnt sound like a crazy number to me? They claim they have mobilized 350k and the existing force at some point was on the order of 150k, no?

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

mila kunis posted:

the usa did everything correctly. they've slammed the door shut on any cooperation between russia and europe and cowed the EU into subservience to american producers and interests. russian soldiers are dying without having to shed any american blood.

the next step is cutting europe off from china, and also china off from south america/africa. it'd take a lot of creativity to pull off but never write off the defending champions

lol good luck with south america or africa

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

genericnick posted:

Honestly doesnt sound like a crazy number to me? They claim they have mobilized 350k and the existing force at some point was on the order of 150k, no?

Ukraine and some other western sources have been pushing the narrative ever since the mobilization was announced that Russia secretly mobilized in excess of 500k soldiers instead of the claimed 300k. I think partly to try to imply that the war is going worse for Russia than they will admit and partly to try and cause panic in Russia that more people than announced were going to be effected by the mobilization order.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

mila kunis posted:

the EU was always going to be little neoliberal piggies

maybe it wasn't so clear before this but it is now. They're rudderless and slowly falling into fascism so they might as well get rich and then gently caress off to NZ or somewhere. The EU hosed itself. America just kinda stood there and went 'cool, cool'.

January 6 Survivor
Jan 6, 2022

The
Nelson Mandela
of clapping
dusty old cheeks

( o(

I browsed the feed of that account and lmao

https://twitter.com/PeImeniPusha/status/1623773187103424512?cxt=HHwWgIDU0YnH5ogtAAAA

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
lol

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Danann posted:

https://twitter.com/PeImeniPusha/status/1623770418984124416

massaro's going to be flying a few more ss symbols and quietly take it down when the war ends at this rate
maybe if they were doing the okay hand symbol people would finally freak out???

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Starsfan posted:

Ukraine and some other western sources have been pushing the narrative ever since the mobilization was announced that Russia secretly mobilized in excess of 500k soldiers instead of the claimed 300k. I think partly to try to imply that the war is going worse for Russia than they will admit and partly to try and cause panic in Russia that more people than announced were going to be effected by the mobilization order.

I always read it as filling in the gaps between the claimed casualties and the observed number of soldiers in the field. Surprise recruitment is usually more believable than necromancy.

Regarde Aduck posted:

the EU was always going to be little neoliberal piggies

maybe it wasn't so clear before this but it is now. They're rudderless and slowly falling into fascism so they might as well get rich and then gently caress off to NZ or somewhere. The EU hosed itself. America just kinda stood there and went 'cool, cool'.

The EUs been loving hopeless since they had the IMF stomp on Latvia. The left got thoroughly defeated in the economic crisis and our great leaders have been happily stripping out the copper from the walls since then.

....is that a Nutella?

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Majorian posted:

I think you’re assigning the wrong motive to Walt here. His whole shtick isn’t “the US doesn’t want conflicts but just stumbles into them.” He’s a dyed-in-the-wool Realist, and like Mearscheimer, he is all about going “See? SEE?! International relations are anarchic, states are black boxes, the only thing that matters are power dynamics between states, non-intervention is often to states’ benefit,” etc. He’s often on the defensive in his work, but it’s not really about defending the West per se.
"Lesson No. 5: A strategy of restraint would have reduced the risk of war" neglects to explicitly point out that the US oligarchy wanted the war and seems to only scold them for being irresponsible

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
Roger Waters still producing hits at the UN

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
300k was the munger of mobilized reservists, they were also expanding the army through other means eg financial incentives for veterans to re enlist, etc and iirc the official Russian number for the total expansion of the regular army was like 384k. Wagner was also expanding its ranks at the same time, and with a few extra battalions from kadyrov you're getting pretty close.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

A munger of orcs

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
As much as it pains me to say this, mlmp is right, Hillary's hawkishness on Iran is not caused solely by the Zionist lobby. She, like many of her colleagues, will never forgive Iran for overthrowing the Shah. Even without the existence of Israel, these people would see Iran as a challenger to American power in the middle east and seek to crush it. Moreover, mlmp has told me they have emails that could lead to her arrest.

Ardennes posted:

Supposedly some Ukrainian pilots may use some British trainers at some point, but the Brits even before the war had a real issue with pilot training and it is probably going to be hard to push their capacity farther than it already. Also, it takes months in a trainer before you get even a change to fly an actual combat jet then start practicing tactics and building up experience.

The Brits have 6 Typhoons for combat jet training so I'm not sure what sort of throughput we can expect.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

euphronius posted:

1,800 tanks ? when do the leopards show up

Tuesday.

Don't ask which year.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
foreignpolicy makes that article impossible to read. im gonna give it a 0/10. the zelensky bit deserved that alone.

if a website is going to start sliding text around as you scroll they need to be shut down

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

I was checking out Anbennar, the EU megamod full conversion, and the game specifically starts with the Not-Eastern Europe countries being invaded by a tide of orcs pouring out of Not-Russia. Like it's not even subtle.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

comedyblissoption posted:

"Lesson No. 5: A strategy of restraint would have reduced the risk of war" neglects to explicitly point out that the US oligarchy wanted the war and seems to only scold them for being irresponsible

Well yeah he’s not an anti-imperialist, he’s basically a classical realist. He sees conflict as inevitable and views blame as largely irrelevant. I’m not saying he’s correct in that part of his worldview.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

gradenko_2000 posted:

I was checking out Anbennar, the EU megamod full conversion, and the game specifically starts with the Not-Eastern Europe countries being invaded by a tide of orcs pouring out of Not-Russia. Like it's not even subtle.

concerning.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

gradenko_2000 posted:

European mud farmers terrified the scary Russians are going to come and steal their precious mud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

gradenko_2000 posted:

anbennar does predate this war.