Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How much longer is Twitter going to last?
A few weeks
A few months
A few years
About as long as the rest of humanity
View Results

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Any ramifications for SA embedding?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Gonna be a real Worst Person You Know moment for me if it breaks Twitter embeds here, something I've wanted for a very long time. I don't think anybody can know for sure until actual details come out - there's a bunch of different things he could be talking about and I'd bet my life savings on him not actually knowing it's actually complicated at all.

I'm no web guy but I've heard devs who are talk about different tiers of API and prices already existing, including potentially more than 1 free one. Basically everybody who interacts with the platform beyond just casual timeline scrolling uses a third party option tho so the chances that this ends up being spectacularly stupid are very high.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

haveblue posted:

It's a shame he took the money from engineer salaries and not the metaverse department, then

Meanwhile, another major domino falls at Twitter:

https://twitter.com/TwitterDev/status/1621026986784337922

"The Twitter API" is how bots and other automated tools use Twitter. This will severely impact all accounts that are not literally a human typing into the field and clicking post.

Yeah, goodbye to your daily cat and puppy pic accounts. Also all the source searching accounts.

Discendo Vox posted:

Any ramifications for SA embedding?

Possibly.

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011
I heard this also removes any of the 'login through twitter' that various places had if they didn't/won't pay for it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

This is after it was also revealed that the Metaverse division of Facebook lost $12 BILLION last year

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

Young Freud posted:

Yeah, goodbye to your daily cat and puppy pic accounts. Also all the source searching accounts.

Possibly.

Ughhh. I follow a lot of bot/automated accounts for both fun and for public utility reasons. Seattle bridges being up or down is one of the most useful Twitter accounts. And I love the random stupidity of the gently caress Every Word account.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
A lot of the simpler ones can probably be faked with browser scripting, but the API was a faster and more efficient way to do it

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Communist Zombie posted:

I heard this also removes any of the 'login through twitter' that various places had if they didn't/won't pay for it.

Which would be kind of hilarious in that single sign-on is essentially a way to make sure your users NEVER close their accounts since they need them to log into other services. I had to keep my Facebook account open for years past the point I wanted to close it purely because it was also my Spotify login. This change might force some legacy systems which have a large Twitter user base to pay, but it’s also going to mean it gets implemented on exactly zero new platforms going forward.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Noxville posted:

Which would be kind of hilarious in that single sign-on is essentially a way to make sure your users NEVER close their accounts since they need them to log into other services. I had to keep my Facebook account open for years past the point I wanted to close it purely because it was also my Spotify login. This change might force some legacy systems which have a large Twitter user base to pay, but it’s also going to mean it gets implemented on exactly zero new platforms going forward.

And I thought Wizards of the Coast had the biggest 'guaranteed to piss off literally every one of your partners in the business likely permanently' corporate move just this year so far.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It’s become a proper cycle now- Twitter announces a radically disruptive change, we all spend a few days thinking this is truly the end, then they backtrack in a hasty and confusing fashion and Twitter stumbles along for a few more months.

quote:

Elon Musk says Twitter will let bots providing “good content” access the Twitter API for free. As noted in a post on Twitter, Musk announced that the platform will enable a “light, write-only” API for eligible bots — a partial reversal of his policy that puts API access behind a paywall.

Now we all get to discover Twitter’s definition of “good content” in real time

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

haveblue posted:

@derstuermerwithoutcontext

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/kitabet/status/1622524647425318912?s=46&t=X8eiNwQOTJqfQENBJbrgQA

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

haveblue posted:

It’s become a proper cycle now- Twitter announces a radically disruptive change, we all spend a few days thinking this is truly the end, then they backtrack in a hasty and confusing fashion and Twitter stumbles along for a few more months.

#goodpeoplebotsonbothsides

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/erinkwoo/status/1622707554311872512?s=46&t=BYlCd50uRB_AblBVywyZ4w

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

haveblue posted:

Does the Daily Stormer have a new host yet?

Gotta love this piece of poo poo "I can't get rid of the bots so, uh, bots were actually my idea all along I love good bots"

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
The chuds are fighting again because Trump called DeSantis a pedophile. :mrgw:

https://twitter.com/JoshuaPHilll/status/1623103123106455557?s=20&t=vtukOh-hGilw-Awklyo99g

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Did someone explain to trump what grooming is and he thinks it’s a compliment? “And Ron would have tried to help out my good friend Jeffrey, who was treated very unfairly just for throwing a few nice parties. I’m sorry! I like nice island parties!”

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

I AM GRANDO posted:

Did someone explain to trump what grooming is and he thinks it’s a compliment? “And Ron would have tried to help out my good friend Jeffrey, who was treated very unfairly just for throwing a few nice parties. I’m sorry! I like nice island parties!”

Nah he just knows that's what you call your enemies now.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I mean Desantis partied with highschoolers and was let go from his teaching position after a year so it's not much of a stretch

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Soonmot posted:

I mean Desantis partied with highschoolers and was let go from his teaching position after a year so it's not much of a stretch

I've always suspected that the initial info drops of Desantis party high school teacher was from the Trump camp.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
lol at an antman form the other side of the planet having a fight with a FL man (Caturd) and both these people having tier 1 support of Musk.

you think antman even knows where to place Destantis's FL, Abbott's TX, or Donnie's La Margo on a map?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I've tweeted maybe 10 times today and I'm getting an error message that I've reached my daily limit. :shrug:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
A lot of people seem to be getting that message, for numbers of tweets today going all the way down to zero

My :tinfoil: brain says this is their solution to the problem reports that were going around the other day, where their notification queues were getting overloaded and skipping tweets. Which is itself caused by reduced capacity because Musk won't stop barging into the datacenter and yanking random plugs

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

:smithicide:

https://twitter.com/TwitterBlue/status/1623411400545632256?s=20&t=onzMMFV6PrpCFZbgD7uokA

quote:

need more than 280 characters to express yourself?

we know that lots of you do… and while we love a good thread, sometimes you just want to Tweet everything all at once. we get that.

so we're introducing longer Tweets! you're gonna want to check this out. tap this 👉

starting today, if you’re subscribed to Twitter Blue in the US you can create longer Tweets.

most standard functions of Tweeting still apply, whether you want to post a picture, use a hashtag, or create a poll. but now you can type all the way up to 4,000 characters. for now, longer Tweets on web can't be saved as drafts or scheduled to send later.

but don’t worry, Twitter is still Twitter. we know longer Tweets could mean a lot of scrolling, so they’ll be capped at 280 characters on your timeline and you’ll see a “Show more” prompt to click and read the whole Tweet.

while only Blue subscribers can post longer Tweets, anyone and everyone can read them. you can reply to, retweet, and quote Tweet a longer Tweet, no matter if you’re a Twitter Blue subscriber or not. subscribers will be able to reply and QT with up to 4,000 characters.

let us know what you think. we’re excited to see how you use the extra space!

if you’ve got more to say, you can subscribe to Twitter Blue by clicking the link in our bio.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
twoots

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

With 4k word posts how is Twitter appreciably different from Facebook? The embeds I guess?

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
Twitter: now with nothing that made twitter twitter

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

As someone else pointed out, if you see someone posting more than 280 characters now you can just block them

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

tweeets

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

I will never read past the displayed 240 characters.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Why is everything lower case?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Chaotic Flame posted:

So you know the Twitter support account is run by relatable cool cats who are hip to the online lingo

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Chaotic Flame posted:

Because the engineer who wrote it hasn’t slept in three days.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/oneunderscore__/status/1623777351338270720?s=46&t=09OAr6NtaIqwKtFZ2xqmcg

lol

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

https://twitter.com/stevanzetti/status/1623660217534652417

No less a personage than THE Cumshot Gamer

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
My word! Not THE Cumshot Gamer? I say! :wotwot:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
https://mobile.twitter.com/s2pidfuck/status/1622769797955227648

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

There's two principal engineers remaining.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Morrow posted:

There's two principal engineers remaining.

Correction: there were two principal engineers before this meeting. Now there's one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Things going well over there I see