Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

karmicknight posted:

AEW needs to get that weird french launch pad in for a match.

i'll settle for just the slide whistle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

fez_machine posted:

Roland Barthes wrote an often quoted essay on Pro-wrestling in Mythologies

edit: okay everyone's been talking about so here's the examples of the type of wrestling he was watching (widely considered nowadays to be way ahead of its time)

it's important to remember he's writing about the 50s French wrestling boom though
https://twitter.com/AaronWrotkowski/status/1594889173852426240
https://twitter.com/secretwrestlin1/status/1270267250981965827

I love whenever these clips pop up again. The dudes taking loving back bumps from that height is nuts, and the guy getting caught in basically a tombstone position off of the catapult is terrifying every single time.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
What's the story behind Kenta Kobashi vs Kensuke Sasaki in NOAH Destiny 2005? I know it's a big match in one of NOAH's biggest shows ever, but what was the setup for the match?

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

fez_machine posted:

Roland Barthes wrote an often quoted essay on Pro-wrestling in Mythologies

edit: okay everyone's been talking about so here's the examples of the type of wrestling he was watching (widely considered nowadays to be way ahead of its time)

it's important to remember he's writing about the 50s French wrestling boom though
https://twitter.com/AaronWrotkowski/status/1594889173852426240
https://twitter.com/secretwrestlin1/status/1270267250981965827

Not sure what you did to "deserve" that avatar but I hope it wasn't this good post.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Lily Catts posted:

What's the story behind Kenta Kobashi vs Kensuke Sasaki in NOAH Destiny 2005? I know it's a big match in one of NOAH's biggest shows ever, but what was the setup for the match?

Dream match vs All Japan/NOAH star and a NJPW star and also battle of the Chop!

(also to crush any remaining hope of Riki-oh getting over!)

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Dream match vs All Japan/NOAH star and a NJPW star and also battle of the Chop!

(also to crush any remaining hope of Riki-oh getting over!)

so basically just a dream match? It did seem that Kensuke didn't heel it up unlike other NJPW stars in NOAH like Yuji Nagata or Tanahashi.

Visual Basic Bitch
Sep 4, 2019
this is extremely stupid but I can't stop thinking about it: has there ever been a title vs title match where - somehow - both titles changed hands? I feel like some comedy indie or DDT or something must have done something like this. or TNA at its worst, maybe

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
I know this isn't exactly what you mean, but there was the triple threat at WM2000 where Angle lost the European title to Jericho and the IC title to Benoit.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Lily Catts posted:

so basically just a dream match? It did seem that Kensuke didn't heel it up unlike other NJPW stars in NOAH like Yuji Nagata or Tanahashi.

Kensuke was a freelancer by that point and not repping NJPW

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

Lily Catts posted:

Both had a killer 2004 with Kensuke being a freelancer & running around in the indies (winning the Tokyo Sports MVP) and Kobashi winning the Best Bout award (vs Akiyama) while being on his absolute champion run. It was a dream match between two big guys who had been the talk of the industry.

Neither Sasaki or Kobashi commented before the match, Sasaki opting for "no comment" & Kobashi saying that he'll say his peace after the match is done.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

karmicknight posted:

AEW needs to get that weird french launch pad in for a match.

No, that's a terrible idea. What AEW needs is a weird Trench Launchpad. An incompetent pilot with tattoos all over his bill.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Gavok posted:

No, that's a terrible idea. What AEW needs is a weird Trench Launchpad. An incompetent pilot with tattoos all over his bill.

a Trench launchpad would be something very different in AEW right now

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Wrestling question: what's the worst thing that happened to you when you completely disregarded the WWF's warnings and tried this at home or school. I got banned from a friend's house for giving him a fame asser through an expensive coffee table and breaking his nose.

He gave me a receipt years later when he gave me a dominator on a concrete patio and dropped me right on my head. Turns out those mats on the outside are there for a reason and I was out long enough that parents had to be called. thankfully I must have had a springy neck like rvd because im not currently posting this on one of those computers you operate with your eyes. To this day I think the only people in history who have actually taken the dominator are me and crash holly

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

the sex ghost posted:

Wrestling question: what's the worst thing that happened to you when you completely disregarded the WWF's warnings and tried this at home or school. I got banned from a friend's house for giving him a fame asser through an expensive coffee table and breaking his nose.

He gave me a receipt years later when he gave me a dominator on a concrete patio and dropped me right on my head. Turns out those mats on the outside are there for a reason and I was out long enough that parents had to be called. thankfully I must have had a springy neck like rvd because im not currently posting this on one of those computers you operate with your eyes. To this day I think the only people in history who have actually taken the dominator are me and crash holly

I watched WCW not the WWF so nothing bad happened to me when I took a urange onto a desk in school. Not a small student desk but a big flat teacher's desk we had in the back of the room.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I got my tailbone broken by two other kids who decided to team up and suplex me against my will, which sucked pretty bad.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The worst thing I ever did deliberately was break a lamp with my brother's feet when I was picking up him up powerbomb style, though I didn't actually slam him. Years later, a probably mentally ill friend of mine randomly decided to tackle me off of the stage in our high school auditorium. I limped for days and I'm still amazed it wasn't worse.

I have seen both a Sling Blade and a Canadian Destroyer pulled off more-or-less by accident in rugby games, swear to God.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

We did a bunch of backyard wrestling in high school and I think the worst that happened was getting my back all scraped up when we did stuff with thumbtacks (we got very obsessed with King of the Death Match 1995) and then some undiagnosed back pain after doing stuff with ladders. It went away eventually but was pretty bad for a week or so.

Otherwise, we all escaped pretty unscathed from injury except for one time we let a new kid join and he was very clumsy and not athletic and he landed on someone's ribs/chest. Nothing got broken but I think they at least went to get checked out because of it. The rest of us weren't super athletic either, but I think we were familiar enough with wrestling and careful enough that the only injuries we suffered from each other were expected bumps and bruises.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

the sex ghost posted:

ironically enough I took WWE's warnings extremely seriously and thus waited to train at a proper wrestling school

(I broke my leg randomly doing a pump handle slam)

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

When I was in the 6th grade my friend and I were doing the spot where you grab someone by the back of the head and slam it into the turnbuckle over and over but on a window sill. He did great never actually hitting it. When I was trying to do it I went too hard and just straight up headbutted the sill. I fell backwards and my eyes clenched shut and I teared up but I just really didnt want to cry and I remember being pretty proud of myself when I didn't. Then I heard a bunch of girls screaming but I didn't know why because my eyes were still shut. When I opened them and looked down my shirt and pants were covered in blood and apparently half my face too. Only took 3 stiches for all that blood lol. My teacher started yelling at my friend and I had to explain to her that he didn't do anything it was really me.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Shard posted:

When I was in the 6th grade my friend and I were doing the spot where you grab someone by the back of the head and slam it into the turnbuckle over and over but on a window sill. He did great never actually hitting it. When I was trying to do it I went too hard and just straight up headbutted the sill. I fell backwards and my eyes clenched shut and I teared up but I just really didnt want to cry and I remember being pretty proud of myself when I didn't. Then I heard a bunch of girls screaming but I didn't know why because my eyes were still shut. When I opened them and looked down my shirt and pants were covered in blood and apparently half my face too. Only took 3 stiches for all that blood lol. My teacher started yelling at my friend and I had to explain to her that he didn't do anything it was really me.

That's just good hardway color, brother

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

My tag-team partner helpfully got me out of a full nelson by spearing me head first in the knee and hyper-extending it and giving me arthritis in it, in high school.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Slicing the gently caress out of each other in the backyard with light tubes not knowing how to hit em properly.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Nothing severe with trampoline wrestling, but I let me friend put me in the lion tamer once and that was not a pleasant experience. I can see why less flexible people just take the walls of jericho instead.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
The rings of saturn was the go to playground submission move for me. Hurt people for real and easy to apply

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry
If I have learned anything after becoming a wrestling fan in my 30s, it's that:
1. Every single man in my age group watched wrestling when they were growing up and
2. They all tried the moves and injured themselves/their friends

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

It’s the reason little brothers were invented

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Tato posted:

Nothing severe with trampoline wrestling, but I let me friend put me in the lion tamer once and that was not a pleasant experience. I can see why less flexible people just take the walls of jericho instead.

For me it was the Funks' spinning toe hold which you should only submit yourself to if you hate your calf muscles.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Did a powerbomb to my friend on a trampoline, he landed safely and was fine. I on the other hand managed to get double bounced by this off the trampoline landing on my back with the wind knocked out of me.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Defenestrategy posted:

Did a powerbomb to my friend on a trampoline, he landed safely and was fine. I on the other hand managed to get double bounced by this off the trampoline landing on my back with the wind knocked out of me.

I powerbombed a friend on to a mattress. He didn't enjoy it but never actually got hurt.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

forkboy84 posted:

I powerbombed a friend on to a mattress. He didn't enjoy it but never actually got hurt.

My friend's little brother loved to get powerbombed on beds. Then we tried a Tiger Driver and well that hurt a little bit trying to lift him. He was fine and we realized that you needed a little bit more cooperation for something like that and went back to trying to be Scott Norton.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

I was really into submissions and I almost broke a friend's back turning him over during a boston crab.

They weren't part of our friend group, but another set of kids at our school got suspended for breaking a cafeteria table doing a diamond cutter on top of it.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
The best thing about having kids that are between two and six years old is that it's really really easy to powerbomb them. It's great fun. They love it, too.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
My friend invented a pedigree lock submission hold, you wrap your opponent's arms from the inside and just lean back. It was agony.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

I snuck up on a friend and gave him a running bull dog in middle school. In my memory of the moment he sorta no sold it but later I found out his gums got all cut up because of his braces and my dad took me to his house to apologize :[ Also in middle school on the last day of 8th grade some kid got pressured (I assume) to fight me at our bus stop and I gave him a kick to the gut followed by a DDT. It was the last day of school so nothing ever became of it, though for some reason I vaguely recall like an investigator or someone pretending to be one calling my house and asking me personally about what happened (it was self defense!).

Somewhat related, I was a (folk style) wrestler in high school and senior year was one of the captains so I got to help put together our team's skit for a winter sports kick off assembly. I suggested we have a regular match which I would ref, but at some point one of our other teammates would come out and interrupt it, hitting a participant in the back with a chair. When I protested, he gave me a powerbomb on the mat to end the skit. Went over great in the room, though my coach after told us something like, "in 5 minutes you destroyed the image of wrestling we're always fighting against."

Grendels Dad posted:

The best thing about having kids that are between two and six years old is that it's really really easy to powerbomb them. It's great fun. They love it, too.

can confirm, my son also has taken his share of the softest FU's, torture racks, and OWAs. Occasionally a big whiff super kick or v trigger to freak people out with the leg slap.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Tweak posted:

Somewhat related, I was a (folk style) wrestler in high school and senior year was one of the captains so I got to help put together our team's skit for a winter sports kick off assembly. I suggested we have a regular match which I would ref, but at some point one of our other teammates would come out and interrupt it, hitting a participant in the back with a chair. When I protested, he gave me a powerbomb on the mat to end the skit. Went over great in the room, though my coach after told us something like, "in 5 minutes you destroyed the image of wrestling we're always fighting against."

I hope you told him to "shut up, nerd"

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

the 200 push ups were rough, but at least that nerd knew his place

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Tweak posted:

amateur mindset

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Didn't South Park devote an episode to that?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Kosmo Gallion posted:

My friend invented a pedigree lock submission hold, you wrap your opponent's arms from the inside and just lean back. It was agony.

Isn't this YOSHI-HASHI's butterfly lock?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

I did a moonsault off the couch just to see if i could. I didn't have anybody to land on and it hurt my balls a lot when i landed on the floor