Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

..btt posted:

You can rush through the lower tiers - some people have a really bad experience in T2 and 3 (I didn't). In fact you can walk straight into T4s anyway, you just can't view the LFG for them until your own attunement is high enough. But it sounds like you're happy enough just going at your own pace.

Most of that pace is largely dictated by what is being run. With no resist I slam a pot for 22+, but the higher levels aren't popular outside of dailies so going from 22-25 is super painful just doing t1s. I noticed I'd now unlocked T2s, and I want to be able to do the whole range, so figured it was time to start installing stuff. I'll still have lots of time in T1 getting the +1s to convert. I can only get daily groups once or twice a week but as long as I'm willing to do anything there's usually something going on.

I've heard T3 is generally the bad place from pretty much everyone, due to what I suspect is the point where you have to start playing well but also accessible enough that people who aren't playing well can get there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
Pretty much. In T3 and T4 there’s more instabilities, some enemies have new mechanics, things hit harder, and they have more hp.

You can do t1 and t2 with whatever diy build you think is cool, but the higher tiers need you to be aware of the game mechanics.

Granted, as time goes by and Anet neglects fractals further, you’ll just have less casuals waltzing into t3/4.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Fractals are a high initial investment but well worth it once you get there, hardest part is just getting your first ascended gear and infused/attuned rings on a good character and build, but you'll very quickly make back that investment once you are doing T4 dailies (which aren't any slower then T1's because people actually know how to play the game by then usually and will use the 25% damage potion)

After T4's you can work towards unlocking infinite potions so you can have the buffs running no matter how "worth" it is to use it and turns any potion drops into a fractal relic income bonus, if you hate sPvP you can work on the fractal legendary backpack which is a great accountwide unlock and saves you having to ever attune backpacks for 250 ectos and you can try out challenge mode's in T100-99-98 which can be pretty fun fights and some extra gold and accountbound materials.

And the best part is once you get that initial investment of ascended gear and doing T4's and/or CM's you'll start getting flooded with more ascended gear you can throw on any character.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Feb 9, 2023

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Haven't touched my ranger since HoT, just worked on the ranger specific achievements and collections and decided to give them a new look.

I think it looks pretty neat.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Ha, I picked the same helmet, shoulder, and back for my guardian (I guess all three skins are cross–armor class), until I realized that the dragonrender helmet has clipping issues with asura ears :sigh:

The rest of the outift was the gem store prayer bead gauntlets, the raven robe, and then I think martial footwraps, but you can hardly see it under the robe anyway

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Mailer posted:

I'll still have lots of time in T1 getting the +1s to convert.

Fyi, you're only saving ~60 silver at current prices converting over just selling the +1s and buying +9s. Just buy the +9s if you need them.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

If you're still needing the +1s make sure you're opening 30 fractal encryptions every day. You can buy the discount keys for 20s and one relic, and even if you buy the locked encryptions from the TP you're making a gold profit on top of the +1s and crafting materials they give. I think if you have to buy the keys at 25s and the encryptions it doesn't work out as nice, but assuming you're running fracs and have 30 relics a day to throw at it, it's leaving money on the table not to do it.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

..btt posted:

Fyi, you're only saving ~60 silver at current prices converting over just selling the +1s and buying +9s. Just buy the +9s if you need them.

Oh... well, poo poo. Brb, gearing up to T2.

Humerus posted:

but assuming you're running fracs and have 30 relics a day to throw at it, it's leaving money on the table not to do it.

I would literally run nothing but fractals/strikes/raids/metas until my eyes bled and be happy doing it but, and I don't want to start another whole thing here, the game is completely dead outside of EU/NA primetime.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
I play this mmo on and off alongside FFXIV since vanilla, and have been playing it once again lately. Despite how long I've owned it I've almost entirely been solo and never did fractals or raids or whatever, PvP being the only structured multiplayer content I've done. I have a few 80s now due to the various boosts each xpac gives along with the scrolls and I was considering actually joining one of the goon guilds and at least trying stuff, if I stick with the game still. Am I totally sol for getting into ender-game stuff so late in the game though? Are people still doing lower-level fractals and stuff? I read that the low level stuff is at least pretty easy?

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
I don't know how populated t1-t3 fractals are so I can't speak for that but as for everything else, yes, people still absolutely do all the raids/strikes/t4 fractals all the time (and they are always going to since it won't ever be obsolete)

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?
T1 and T2 are still plenty well populated. As another poster mentioned above, though, it can be tough to get groups for anything if you're not playing during primetime / around reset.

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.
Advertise yourself if there no groups in LFG at your tier. Chances are it's not just you looking for a party to join.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I can’t speak for instanced content, but with a few exceptions you can do almost any meta even during off-peak hours if you put up a commander tag and get a public squad announcement in the LFG menu.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
Oh cool, sounds like I haven't totally missed the boat then. Is there a recommended of the two goon guilds to join in the OP? I'll be playing from the UK if one of them has more Euro players or something.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

My Crab is Fight posted:

Oh cool, sounds like I haven't totally missed the boat then. Is there a recommended of the two goon guilds to join in the OP? I'll be playing from the UK if one of them has more Euro players or something.

The boat ain't goin' nowhere brudda

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

My Crab is Fight posted:

You can join both unless you're hard up for guild slots. Most of us are in both. It's pretty normal to see accidental cross-chatter between the guild chats.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
Ok noted thanks, i'll get myself on those soon. How does Guardian play at endgame? Of my 80s its the one I enjoy most but is the least geared as I only got mine to 80 today. It has lots of healing so does it end up being healy class? Is GW2 healing difficult? FFXIV is the only mmo I have healed a lot in and it's not exactly ultra hard.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

For healing there aren't a ton of options but you can do some fun area healing as (water) elementalist. You can also just passively heal/buff people as Herald while you do whatever. Druid, obviously, is a great healer and more dedicated healer, but guardian has a good amount of healing options, particularly with staff and mace.

Generally speaking, you definitely won't be healing in any capacity like you're used to from other MMOs.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
All of the classes have very strong damage options so you won't be stuck doing support if that's not something you're interested in doing.

Healing in gw2 is for the most part pretty simple. Typically you'll also be providing boons to enhance your group's ability to handle various encounters, and with everyone's ability to dodge attacks, sometimes that's all you end up doing in addition to hitting the enemy.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I like playing as herald with high toughness, because you get a ton of ways to soak up hits for other people and if you're good you can put that thang down, flip it and reverse it.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

My Crab is Fight posted:

Ok noted thanks, i'll get myself on those soon. How does Guardian play at endgame? Of my 80s its the one I enjoy most but is the least geared as I only got mine to 80 today. It has lots of healing so does it end up being healy class? Is GW2 healing difficult? FFXIV is the only mmo I have healed a lot in and it's not exactly ultra hard.

You can spec a Guardian for healing and do fine with that. Most classes have multiple healing specs and there's no real clear cut tank/healer/dps/dps/dps group layout. I think raids have something like that, but everywhere else it gets fuzzy. In 5-mans it tends to be a bit more free-for-all and it's not uncommon for me to join a group with four people specced for pure damage and do fine. The number of builds per class is pretty great.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
GW2 lately seems to have had new life breathed into it, it's just such a shame they stumbled so hard on the release and post-release direction on where to take the game next which spawned memes like this.

I think another few months in the oven before release to fix player culling issues, condition stacks limited to 25 making condi builds worthless, the orr and zhaitan storyline and having a actual sane plan for post-release content that wasn't fomo temporary story content would of had gw2 really pop off after release.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Well I've only been back for like a month, but at least it seems like they got past the era where they kept buffing only warrior and nerfing everything else

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
haha, I remember when even poo poo like Planetside 2 was trying to get into esplortz, it was the 'cool' thing to do at the time I guess.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Cat-shaped Witch posted:

Well I've only been back for like a month, but at least it seems like they got past the era where they kept buffing only warrior and nerfing everything else

You are also past the EoD era where they kept buffing only the engineer and nerfing everything else.

It even caused the old balance lead to get usurped when the private chatlogs got released and the playerbase was in a uproar at their favoritism and cluelessness about classes that weren't their pet favorites or designed by them.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Living Story is hilarious. Let's add more story to our game over time, great! If you don't log in while it's active you can never do it. What.

I mean they're slowly fixing that now but oh my god

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
The big Karka Queen event really was the climax of their old way of doing things.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

You are also past the EoD era where they kept buffing only the engineer and nerfing everything else.

It even caused the old balance lead to get usurped when the private chatlogs got released and the playerbase was in a uproar at their favoritism and cluelessness about classes that weren't their pet favorites or designed by them.

Yep. Fortunately that is a thing of the past, now they have a proper balance team with a lead that actually plays and understands the game.

My Crab is Fight posted:

I'd love to play with goons on US servers but unfortunately the ping difference is just too high for a game like GW2 (at least to me) + because of the time zones, US doesn't appear to have a single prime time like EU.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Mr. Neutron posted:

I'd love to play with goons on US servers but unfortunately the ping difference is just too high for a game like GW2 (at least to me) + because of the time zones, US doesn't appear to have a single prime time like EU.

The population is significantly higher on the EU servers too. And the culture is a little different, like EU actually uses the raid LFG. Also, bizarrely, damage output tends to be a bit higher in PvE.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Mr. Neutron posted:

Yep. Fortunately that is a thing of the past, now they have a proper balance team with a lead that actually plays and understands the game.

Really? I play from the UK and my ping is usually 50-60ms which is absolutely fine

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

tarbrush posted:

Really? I play from the UK and my ping is usually 50-60ms which is absolutely fine

That would be fine indeed but from mainland EU, for me at least, it's 120-130ms and that is noticeably higher than EU's 20-30. Not unplayable by any means, but definitely noticeable.

..btt posted:

And the culture is a little different, like EU actually uses the raid LFG.

Oh yea and this too.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
NA uses the raid LFG too, haven't you seen all those advertisements for selling raid clears?

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

Living Story is hilarious. Let's add more story to our game over time, great! If you don't log in while it's active you can never do it. What.

The way they did it after makes no sense either. It's a shame it didn't get a FF14-like resurgence.

..btt posted:

The population is significantly higher on the EU servers too. And the culture is a little different, like EU actually uses the raid LFG. Also, bizarrely, damage output tends to be a bit higher in PvE.

From how I understood it wouldn't this not matter? Like there's EU times and NA times but the LFG is universal?

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO
I was thinking earlier of things I really miss with GW2's design and I cannot help but miss the old storybook style of cutscenes and how core GW2 has actual branching paths in the storyline where your choices matter and dictate what you'll be doing next in the story. I wish they kept both of those things going but oh well. I'm just glad we aren't still in LS season 2's era of endless dialogue prompts for being forced to talk to any side characters and having to go through like 15 pages of dialogue.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Mr. Neutron posted:

That would be fine indeed but from mainland EU, for me at least, it's 120-130ms and that is noticeably higher than EU's 20-30. Not unplayable by any means, but definitely noticeable.

Oh yea and this too.

Lol it's 300 ping from australia and the game is perfectly playable, including raid content. 120 is fine.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Mailer posted:

From how I understood it wouldn't this not matter? Like there's EU times and NA times but the LFG is universal?

The LFG works the same in both regions. It's just a cultural thing for whatever reason. Don't get me wrong, the EU LFG is not super active outside primetime, but from what I've heard, basically nobody uses LFG in NA for raid groups. They use I believe Raid Academy and the various other discords instead.

For reference, it's currently 2:30 PM on a workday and this is the raid LFG on EU:

2 legit pugs (no kp requirement even!), 2 static adverts, 1 guy looking for a group, sneb advertising Skein Gang and 2 raid seller ads.

In primetime there might be 10 or more pugs looking for more at any time.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
It’s interesting to me how poorly Season 1 and its temporary content was received. It feels like Season based, temporary content releases for ongoing games like this are practically the norm these days. Destiny 2, for instance, is hugely popular and it extensively uses seasonal content. I wonder how GW2 Season 1 would be received if it first dropped in the last few years.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

..btt posted:

The LFG works the same in both regions. It's just a cultural thing for whatever reason. Don't get me wrong, the EU LFG is not super active outside primetime, but from what I've heard, basically nobody uses LFG in NA for raid groups. They use I believe Raid Academy and the various other discords instead.

That's pretty interesting culturally. The pubbie game as I experience it is entirely FYGM-based, so when the only Training raid I joined had half of it bail after a boss kill and a single wipe I figured that was normal. I've seen more than a few browsing LFG but it's usually killproof-heavy and extremely specific. Even when successful multi-run strikes and fractals lose a percentage after every success as people joined for doing X-Y while only needing one or two.

Then you watch a youtube video talking about the wonderful community from streamers surrounded by their dedicated out-of-game community. :v:

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I imagine the arguably low quality of season 1 also had something to do with it, it wasn't particularly exciting, or well written, and had some of the least liked characters in the entire game with Scarlet and Braham and it didn't really do anything new or different with the missions since every single mission consisted of stuff like hammer 50 signpoints, sit in a circle while you clear a few minutes of waves spawning in on it, kill a generic champion when done with everything else, bookended on both ends with way too much unskippable dialogue.

And you had to wait a month or two between hammering those signpoints for that 5-15 minute instance followup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Mailer posted:

That's pretty interesting culturally. The pubbie game as I experience it is entirely FYGM-based, so when the only Training raid I joined had half of it bail after a boss kill and a single wipe I figured that was normal. I've seen more than a few browsing LFG but it's usually killproof-heavy and extremely specific. Even when successful multi-run strikes and fractals lose a percentage after every success as people joined for doing X-Y while only needing one or two.

Then you watch a youtube video talking about the wonderful community from streamers surrounded by their dedicated out-of-game community. :v:

My own anecdotal experience is that most people in the gw2 community are ready to engage socially, but need someone else to make the first move. If you communicate with your team, they're much less likely to just leave without saying anything - and this is not just for commanders. If on the other hand, you wipe and no-one says anything, people will quite quickly drop group. Of course some people are extremely shy, toxic, or ready to ragequit at the slightest percieved incompetence, but I find that compared to other MMOs I've played, they're a much smaller fraction of the community.

The best commanders seem aware of this, and make the effort to get people interacting. If you see an LFG ad with some silly meme in the description, you're usually in for a good time.

I do avoid groups asking for killproof though. I'd much rather wipe a few times with some excited and friendly new players than deal with the more tryhard players. Maybe if I'd done every raid 100 times I'd feel differently.