Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

From the other thread, apparently all Retro Studios.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Bismack Billabongo posted:

I am forcing myself to wait on buying this until I get paid again but I am going to buy the living poo poo out of this. It looks so good man.

I've never bought a game so quick from awareness of release to purchase

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

hughesta posted:

Theyre back

retro are loving gods

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Fedule posted:

Who actually did the remaster? Was it Retro themselves? One of the known remake/remaster studios? Some internal Nintendo team?
retro posted the store page on their twitter with no other context, and the game also just says presented by nintendo and retro studios at the front, so it's probably just retro

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

It is a really great remaster. The controls are very smooth and very intuitive. I only ever tried the GCN version once but played the Trilogy version with the Wii controls, which I honestly really liked. But the dual stick with the lock on is a great marriage between those styles.

Plus it's just loving gorgeous!

Last time I played Prime was on an CRT TV from 1990-something and I struggled to see what was going on a lot of the time. It definitely created a vibe that I'm missing, but nothing short of a full-on remake would really address that. I'm just happy I can see what the hell is going on.

Nintendo sure loves the surprise Metroid announcements. First Dread now this? I feel like one day Prime 4 will just be out and then the next day they'll tell us after it's already sold ten million copies.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Christ, a surprise release where all they really said was “hey, here’s the store page” out of nowhere on release day?

:stare:

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Retro are working on Prime 4 now right? Like, it was originally handed to another studio but their work got scrapped and now Retro themselves are doing it?

I wonder if this remaster happened just by recreating the original game as a prototype for their new engines and figured "hey, lets polish it up and sell it to build up hype".

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Retro are working on Prime 4 now right? Like, it was originally handed to another studio but their work got scrapped and now Retro themselves are doing it?

That's the official line, but it's been about four years since Retro took over with no news so who really knows at this stage.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I wonder if this remaster happened just by recreating the original game as a prototype for their new engines and figured "hey, lets polish it up and sell it to build up hype".

I actually wonder if they showed off this remaster to Nintendo, and Nintendo said "oh gently caress this looks so much better then whatever the hell Bamco is doing" and scrapped told Retro they have full control of Prime 4 now.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I understand Nintendo is probably SUPER gushy about saying anything about Prime 4 after they had to start the whole loving thing over. But on the other hand, I want it. I already played Prime 20 years ago (well, 14 years ago), I want the new one. :mad:

Dual stick controls sound neat, though.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I haven’t started it yet but does anyone know if they brought back being able to see her arm when using the X-Ray visor? You could see her moving her fingers into different configurations when she changed beams, that ruled. But they took it out of Trilogy due to the free-moving arm.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Uh, ok. They did way more to this graphically than I expected. I saw that they re-did character models and textures, I expected that environment textures were probably touched up, but this looks like they've re-done loving everything. At least the Freighter at the start looks completely re-built.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jaypbay8rt4

This might be one of the best remasters made, in terms of improvements. Not just somewhat better textures and running in a higher resolution, but the whole game graphically re-done. Jesus.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

In old Metroid news, you can play the original Metroid II now on the switch online GB/GBC collection.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Veotax posted:

Uh, ok. They did way more to this graphically than I expected. I saw that they re-did character models and textures, I expected that environment textures were probably touched up, but this looks like they've re-done loving everything. At least the Freighter at the start looks completely re-built.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jaypbay8rt4

This might be one of the best remasters made, in terms of improvements. Not just somewhat better textures and running in a higher resolution, but the whole game graphically re-done. Jesus.

Bingo - it's why I said it's...more of a remake than a remaster. They went above and beyond for this kind of project and I wouldn't be surprised if they did this to build out an engine for MP4.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Icon Of Sin posted:

Christ, a surprise release where all they really said was “hey, here’s the store page” out of nowhere on release day?

:stare:

Nintendo loves doing that with their directs.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Yeah this is a real delight. I could never get it working well on PC so I'm glad I have such a pretty and good feeling version to play.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Kirios posted:

Bingo - it's why I said it's...more of a remake than a remaster. They went above and beyond for this kind of project and I wouldn't be surprised if they did this to build out an engine for MP4.

tbh it just depends on how you define remake vs remaster. I lean in the direction of only using "remake" when there are significant changes to the gameplay/content, but otoh, "remaster" tends to refer to releases that are just HD up-ports with only minimal changes beyond upping the resolution, so it would be nice if there were a term to use for releases like Prime Remastered and Demon's Souls PS5 that fall in between the two (significant improvements to the graphics but minimal changes to the gameplay). there isn't, so the semantic argument will continue. oh well!

stev posted:

That's the official line, but it's been about four years since Retro took over with no news so who really knows at this stage.

I'm guessing that Prime 4 is a Switch 2 title at this point, but who knows, maybe it'll resurface later this year.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Barry Convex posted:

I'm guessing that Prime 4 is a Switch 2 title at this point, but who knows, maybe it'll resurface later this year.

Wasn't dread a decade old development? It got dropped and someone picked up off the trash heap?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Did they ever change Samus at the end of Prime to look like the Zero Suit Samus from later games? Or do we still get OG Samus

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Is early Space Jump still in?

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Tender Bender posted:

Did they ever change Samus at the end of Prime to look like the Zero Suit Samus from later games? Or do we still get OG Samus

Its..kinda a mix

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Electric Phantasm posted:

Is early Space Jump still in?

Yeah, but you gotta do the bomb jumping trick from the Wii version

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Yeah, but you gotta do the bomb jumping trick from the Wii version

Does the lock-on dash that was required for NA Player’s Choice (where you had to go up in the tunnel across from the ship to find an enemy) not work?

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Barry Convex posted:

tbh it just depends on how you define remake vs remaster. I lean in the direction of only using "remake" when there are significant changes to the gameplay/content, but otoh, "remaster" tends to refer to releases that are just HD up-ports with only minimal changes beyond upping the resolution, so it would be nice if there were a term to use for releases like Prime Remastered and Demon's Souls PS5 that fall in between the two (significant improvements to the graphics but minimal changes to the gameplay). there isn't, so the semantic argument will continue. oh well!

The difference is kinda technical and kinda academic and not everybody cares enough to really want to be precise and the line blurs a lot in most cases anywhere but there is a line.

Remastering isn't really technically actually a thing you do in video games but the term has been borrowed from other media and it works neatly as a metaphor. In music, remastering (usually) refers to producing a new digital master from the original analog master tape (note that we're already kinda into the weeds here because the actual master master isn't changing at all but an intermediary step which is a master relative to later steps is, but this is a typical usage). The very original source doesn't change but the thing that is later used to make all the copies that actually get sold is remade. With video games the analogy basically works because in a remastered game all the source assets are unchanged but are compiled/rendered/whatever in an updated way, usually with regard to technical details like running at a sharper resolution or higher frame rate. Or maybe you use a new technique for calculating lighting but all the information about light sources in each scene is unchanged, which will produce a different looking scene from the same source material. To use the upcoming Ghost Trick port as an example, Capcom hasn't changed the 3D models they used to make the DS version, but they have re-rotoscoped them in HD and 60fps, producing updated sprites that are night and day from the original game's. They have, of course, also actually changed a few things, like UI elements, which is one part of why the remake/remaster line is blurry. Technically, every port to a new platform is a remaster... if it's done natively and not just made by translating the compiled code to run on a different platform (video games are weird).

A remake happens when you literally recreate the source from scratch. Of course, philosophically speaking, you could argue there's a deeper source that's a concept or idea or memory or what the gently caress ever, and that's just one more reason the language doesn't ever fully work and everything is relative but hey work with me here. The thing is, you can do substantive changes to some parts of the source while not changing others at all. The Metroid Prime "remaster" does complete model overhauls on almost everything, but reuses the animation scripting from the original game (I think it is 100% unchanged though I'm interested if there are any deviations). Demon's Souls PS5 and Link's Awakening for Switch are other pretty good examples of complete ground-up visual overhauls that are layered exactly onto other unchanged frameworks. So Metroid Prime Remastered is, in my estimation, definitely a remake using this distinction, exactly by virtue of how much stuff has actually been redesigned from scratch. A remake needn't (but can) change up the playable elements of the game. Conversely, of course, while doing a remaster, you could add to the source, because code be like that. So, I'd class the WiiU port of Wind Waker as a remaster, because most of the source that was already made is unchanged, even though some new source was added, and the overall look and feel is very different but that's due to rendering more than it is changing what stuff was being rendered. See what I mean? The concepts are a mess when you apply them practically but remaking and remastering are definitely extremely specific things.

(The tidiest example of all of this is The Last Of Us Remastered vs The Last Of Us Part 1. The worst example is Final Fantasy VII Remake.)

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Mooseontheloose posted:

Wasn't dread a decade old development? It got dropped and someone picked up off the trash heap?

It was more some of the concepts from older cancelled versions of Dread were picked up, I doubt anything substantial was taken from the older versions.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

DeafNote posted:

Its..kinda a mix

RIP original Minivan Mom Samus

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

DeafNote posted:

Its..kinda a mix

she looks like lady gaga

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Veotax posted:

It was more some of the concepts from older cancelled versions of Dread were picked up, I doubt anything substantial was taken from the older versions.

I think they said the EMMI (or some other enemy that's hunting Samus) was always part of the game. The plan had always been to expand on the SA-X stuff from Fusion and make it a part of the actual gameplay.

Don't quote me on that though.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Fedule posted:

The difference is kinda technical and kinda academic and not everybody cares enough to really want to be precise and the line blurs a lot in most cases anywhere but there is a line.
A couple (more) thoughts here;

The game is literally named Metroid Prime Remastered, so I'd be inclined to go with the game's own identity.

Also the lead engineer of the original Prime trilogy (uncertain of his role with the remaster if any) suggested this:https://mobile.twitter.com/jack_mathews/status/1623735955675836418

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
https://twitter.com/ZoidCTF/status/1623477699942686720
(By and large the changes are great he's just hung up on this detail for a reason)

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Hogama posted:

https://twitter.com/ZoidCTF/status/1623477699942686720
(By and large the changes are great he's just hung up on this detail for a reason)

Left looks better, but I wouldn't be surprised if Right was a deliberate decision because it's easier to tell what kind of beam to use on the door to open it.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
Yeah he's initially assuming it's an alpha issue, but the door textures themselves have been updated to a flatter design than the original doors. It does make it way easier to see the whole door as that color, rather than having the dark textures underneath the glow texture that reduce the glow visibility.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

DeafNote posted:

Its..kinda a mix

kim wexler

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Was there a substantial difference between the Prime and Echoes code/engines that would be mostly done/resolved, now that Prime is remastered?

I just want a remastered Echoes, drat it :cry:

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
She should look more tired and pissed off imo

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Icon Of Sin posted:

Was there a substantial difference between the Prime and Echoes code/engines that would be mostly done/resolved, now that Prime is remastered?

There's no reason why a Remastered Echoes would hinder them, other than (hopefully) wanting to improve the portals so that they're....Portal...portals and not loading screens.

On that note, feel free to cut out that multiplayer if it means more dev time to the actual game.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

TaurusOxford posted:

There's no reason why a Remastered Echoes would hinder them, other than (hopefully) wanting to improve the portals so that they're....Portal...portals and not loading screens.

On that note, feel free to cut out that multiplayer if it means more dev time to the actual game.

PrimeHack already proved that this is doable, there's an option to skip the portal cutscenes. You get the fade to white and then you're in the other world right away.

It also has a skip for the temple bomb gates that cuts most of the room rotating with a screen flash.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

WHY BONER NOW posted:

She should look more tired and pissed off imo

I mean, Prime 1 is like her second ever space adventure in the timeline, she can't be THAT burnt out and grizzled yet. She's only on her first weird alien DNA infusion and first Ridley kill, this is baby poo poo

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Bloody Pom posted:

PrimeHack already proved that this is doable, there's an option to skip the portal cutscenes. You get the fade to white and then you're in the other world right away.

It also has a skip for the temple bomb gates that cuts most of the room rotating with a screen flash.

Show the portal animation first time then skip it after, or make it an option cause honestly that animation kidna sick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Icon Of Sin posted:

I’m sure they’ll release all three and maybe even give you a bundle discount if you’ve already bought the first one…?

Edit: they removed the multiplayer from Trilogy. It really sucked tbh I played it with a friend and it wasn’t very fun.