Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
France perhaps, Germany never, and neither does Italy.

I am fairly confident that the map primarily reflects research cooperation and data sharing with the org that made the map, rather than the actual distribution of seismic monitoring stations on the ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Just to put this in the ground, here is a map of British Geological Survey monitoring stations. The UK obviously has more than a single seismic sensor site.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Politically loaded because the British Geological Survey has stations outside of Britain but the UKArray is currently only in England.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
UK array is just an excuse to monitor the movement of Scots across the Hadrian wall

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Not quite a map, definitely politically loaded

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

I...I like anis de flavigny :(

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
How the gently caress is hotsilog on there when it's literally hotdogs, fried eggs, and garlic fried rice?

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
why are the majority of the american dishes just noodles and meat and veggies in an inoffensive but usually boring sauce

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
i mean i know why (because it's a clickbait based on small n measurements split tens of thousands of ways and from a highly non-representative sample)

but still

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Indigirka salad and pizza cake both whip rear end ngl

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Minenfeld! posted:

I...I like anis de flavigny :(

The candy? It's just... candy. (My sister brought some for me when she travelled to wherever it's common.) As I remember it they're quite mild in flavour. I wouldn't eat them like Coco Pops but then I don't eat Coco Pops.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Canadian pizza cake, eh

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

3D Megadoodoo posted:

The candy? It's just... candy. (My sister brought some for me when she travelled to wherever it's common.) As I remember it they're quite mild in flavour. I wouldn't eat them like Coco Pops but then I don't eat Coco Pops.

That's what I assume is listed there. They're just flower flavored little hard candies with an anise seed in the middle.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Some people get real fuckin upset about anise flavor.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Guavanaut posted:

Stegte sild are great :mad:

Two Danish dishes but only one Swedish one - and it's not surströmning!?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Is stegte sild like the Dutch version where it's just a whole fried fish (bones and all) or is it something weirder?

I've been to Denmark dozens of times, my dad has lived there for almost 20 years, and I've never heard of it.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

jeebus bob posted:

gule ærter are also great :mad::hf::yum:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Count Roland posted:

Canadian pizza cake, eh

You can only make the sauce properly with the bostonian sewer waters of Alberta

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Lutefisk is also very nice if made properly. But apparently it's very easy to gently caress up, so a lot of people only have experience with substandard versions.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Groke posted:

Lutefisk is also very nice if made properly. But apparently it's very easy to gently caress up, so a lot of people only have experience with substandard versions.

It tastes and feels (in the mouth) like gently caress-all. Saying it's very nice is like saying water is very nice.

e: It doesn't even look like much.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

I hate this

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

Weird, I had no idea riz casimir was a Swiss thing. My grandmother in law used to make it for us like every other time we visited. I thought she was doing it because she thought we liked Indian cuisine or something and was winging it with whatever she had in the house. It’s also like… totally fine?

I don’t see how hakarl makes the same list as chicken riggies or riz casimir, or how anis sweets make the list but poo poo covered andouillette and boudin noir don’t. I don’t remember the precise name of it but I had some variety of andouillette that was the most vile thing I’ve ever eaten, literally it smelled like fresh sheep dung and if I wasn’t at the table with an old Frenchman I probably would have just downed it immediately with a glass of water.

Kind of interesting list though, never heard of half of these and a lot do look pretty unappealing. Also why is fermented half-developed bird fetus not on that list? China is extremely under represented.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Guavanaut posted:

As a Canadian I say what the gently caress is a pizza cake? That's not a thing that exists here.

Hearty agree with #50 though, even though it's not actually terrible to eat it deserves to be there thanks to it's terribly appropriated name.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Just noticed Grandiosa. It's not even a dish, it's a brand of frozen pizza. I am about 100% certain it's no worse a brand than any other non-Oetker one.

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011
This list is a pretty good example of what happens when you only go by average points and don’t control for relative numbers of votes. Number 19 going to a dish that is obscure and city specific shows that

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

PittTheElder posted:

As a Canadian I say what the gently caress is a pizza cake? That's not a thing that exists here.

Hearty agree with #50 though, even though it's not actually terrible to eat it deserves to be there thanks to it's terribly appropriated name.

It’s pretty infamous my man https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pizza_cake

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

2014?? that's like saying the worst american food is artisanal cupcakes

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

Lists like this always boil down to about 10% foods with challenging flavors or textures at 90% bald faced class snobbery over poor people food.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

What the gently caress is American goulash?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Minenfeld! posted:

Bling guess but probably true: goulash with 1 kg of sugar added.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Minenfeld! posted:

Basically the same thing as New England's "American chop suey", which is pasta with ground beef and crushed tomatoes.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Youremother posted:

Basically the same thing as New England's "American chop suey", which is pasta with ground beef and crushed tomatoes.

yeah it's like a gringo chili with even fewer spices

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

I hate it.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

So imagine growing up in New England and having that stuff shoveled at you five times a week at school lunch.

Konec Hry
Jul 13, 2005

too much love will kill you

Grimey Drawer

jeebus bob posted:

Yeah, seriously, not saying skånsk spiddekaga is good, because it's not, but with surströmming there's absolutely no contest. It's so bad.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

I suppose Connecticut isn't real New England because we didn't get it for lunch. gently caress the massholes were right.

NDP
Jun 25, 2021

Guavanaut posted:

I'm of half-Norwegian descent and have no problem with lutefisk being on that list. Its consumption is not a culinary tradition but a grueling rite-of-passage Scandinavians do only once.

And why isn't haggis listed for Scotland?

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

i say swears online posted:

2014?? that's like saying the worst american food is artisanal cupcakes

To be fair, artisanal cupcakes are way worse than chicken and rigatoni.

NDP
Jun 25, 2021

Youremother posted:

There are also sometimes half-cooked onion and celery pieces but even without them, the stuff is still gross. No matter how it's cooked, it always tastes like it's been in the fridge for a week and then stuck under a heating lamp.

NDP fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Apr 11, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Minenfeld! posted:

I suppose Connecticut isn't real New England because we didn't get it for lunch. gently caress the massholes were right.

That's def from the parts without Italians, so I imagine Rhode Island and ourselves were spared.