Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/ohshidt/status/1602081188688044032?s=20&t=zkeabmPDZqokabFk3w-f9A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

I always kind of wonder about when something like this happens does the guy in charge get fired.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Hollismason posted:

I always kind of wonder about when something like this happens does the guy in charge get fired.

Says they were contractors so it probably depends on what was written on the contract.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
so the scrub tower got scrubbed, that's why it's called the scrub tower

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

I would've simply moved the one they didn't want blowed up.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Mozi posted:

A scrub is a tower that can't get no love from me

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
if you want a pile of rubble you gotta break a few towers

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Weembles posted:

The clifs in that part of the coast are all built up from barely compressed sand and cobbles. It's only the dry climate that keeps them from just melting into nothing - but when we get storms this stuff happens.

An OSHA aspect to it is the fact that a couple sections of the rail line between San Diego and LA were built right on the edge of the cliffs and get undercut and shut down pretty often. Between normal erosion and the rising sea level, those tracks only have a few years left in them, but nobody can commit to a plan for moving them.

We're probably going to see an Amtrak slide into the sea in the next few years.

at least in the richie parts of San Diego, they're building a tunnel... thus preserving the only rail connection for the Port of San Diego :shepicide:

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Vampire Panties posted:

at least in the richie parts of San Diego, they're building a tunnel... thus preserving the only rail connection for the Port of San Diego :shepicide:

Well, they say they plan to study the possiblity of a tunnel.

It's going to end up being a multi billion dollar project and Del Mar is already gearing up to fight it, so we'll have to wait and see if any of the political forces in the region care enough about it to actually push it through.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Mozi posted:

A pro tower would have dodgerolled in place and used the iframes to let the falling tower pass through it.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Hollismason posted:

You can’t fire that guy. You know he’s never going to make a mistake like that again as long as he lives.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Vakal posted:

Says they were contractors so it probably depends on what was written on the contract.

From what I hear most large demo companies contracts basically say "If anything goes wrong AT ALL, it's not our fault." There are only so many demo companies in any given area that can do large scale demo, so someone that needs large scale demo work basically has no choice but to accept a contract.

Of course, contracts only cover what's controlled by the company hiring the demo company, so if you drop a building and it falls across the street and crumps some 3rd party building, then you hosed.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

The Management posted:

You can’t fire that guy. You know he’s never going to make a mistake like that again as long as he lives.

This is deep wisdom.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Just Rolled In Narrator: The customer declined all repairs.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

customer exclaimed "yabba dabba doo" as they exited the parking lot

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

holy poo poo is that AI generate Eminem, or a human soundalike?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

From what I hear most large demo companies contracts basically say "If anything goes wrong AT ALL, it's not our fault." There are only so many demo companies in any given area that can do large scale demo, so someone that needs large scale demo work basically has no choice but to accept a contract.

Of course, contracts only cover what's controlled by the company hiring the demo company, so if you drop a building and it falls across the street and crumps some 3rd party building, then you hosed.
The demolition companies are insured or bonded (unless the hirer is really extremely monumentally off the charts dumb) so they owe a root cause to the insurer or bonding authority if they want to keep getting insured or bonded and if they aren't forthcoming with sharing that insurance or bond then you can still take them to civil court for negligence which will be interested in any such report. "Neener neener not my fault" is not a foolproof legal incantation even if it's countersigned.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Mr. Fix It posted:

anyone else really concerned for those first few slices that seem to get thrown away? :ohdear:

They have a known destination
https://imgur.io/a/QaDy4

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Scratch Monkey posted:

https://youtu.be/Wf6gzeqCnuo

snugglz
Nov 12, 2004
moist sod for your hogan

Scratch Monkey posted:

I think it’s uberduck.ai

the actual words are from Twitter user (and supposed goon Gigantic Drill) Dril

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Scratch Monkey posted:

Found this a ways back.

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qws4wgZfjL1xxit7k_720.mp4

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Hollismason posted:

From my experience they’d have a project manager who would have made among other things a risk register that included everything they thought could go wrong. Maybe one of the towers doesn’t fall, maybe they fall and knock something out (the scrub tower as one risk, whatever was on the other side as a different risk), the charges not firing right, permits suddenly being revoked, bad weather, etc etc. For each risk they would list out how severe and likely they are to occur, what some options on what to do if they occur, how much money they’d need to set aside for it (there’s a transferral of responsibility where they may choose to insure the risk for big things like this, other times it’s just more money from the coffers gets earmarked just in case), and how they’d resolve the issue. This risk management plan would get approved by the contractor leads and the sponsors who hired them, so a well managed operation would know exactly what to do in this situation. The scrub tower goes down, anyone can look at the risk management plan and follow the listed instructions.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Step 1: flee city

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Hollismason posted:

They give out bonuses, because “Buy 4, get 1free” is a pretty good deal.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
IIRC when that tower thing happened the reporting around it was saying that fifth tower was also due to come down soon, just it wasn't planned to be part of that particular blast, so it was sort of a "Task Failed Successfully" type situation.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

AFewBricksShy posted:

Can someone explain how he's not dead? Wouldn't the electricity run through his heart when grabs both wires? Does the aluminum ladder somehow not conduct the electricity through him or something?

The head lamp is using all the power streaming into his body, preventing him from blowing up due to overcharging.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Hollismason posted:

This video was circulated before and the article stated that the contractor was paid to take down just the four chimneys for the time being, but the entire site was going to be torn down anyway. If the scrub tower was to be kept then they couldn't use explosives on the other four because it's never that predictable.

So in this case the site owner got a freebie. Which means that the contractor fired the demolition team anyway because they don't do charity work.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://i.imgur.com/yZPnbz3.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/F1Yt0ap.mp4

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Why is it that everyone's new wood chopping invention is either a Dickensonian mutilation machine or a hospital trip waiting to happen?

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

So how much extra force does the chain provide compared to just having the shaft be extended by the same length?

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Hel posted:

So how much extra force does the chain provide compared to just having the shaft be extended by the same length?

None, but it's impossible to do an under-powered swing with it I guess. Kinda like those practice golf clubs that split in two if you have bad form, maybe?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Hel posted:

Pretty much none. The only tangible benefit is that you'd feel less of an impact shock on your hands, which can help with fatigue if you're doing a lot of chopping. IIRC that's the main reason that construction came about for flails used in grain threshing in the first place.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

A Festivus Miracle posted:

Why is it that everyone's new wood chopping invention is either a Dickensonian mutilation machine or a hospital trip waiting to happen?

When you’re splitting wood, you need to be prepared to fight a villain from Kill Bill.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Perestroika posted:

Pretty much none. The only tangible benefit is that you'd feel less of an impact shock on your hands, which can help with fatigue if you're doing a lot of chopping. IIRC that's the main reason that construction came about for flails used in grain threshing in the first place.

Flails also allow the business end of the tool to cover a greater area of the threshed surface compared to whacking it with a straight pole.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/530604562143379466/1073307920399347743/2jrqca6aj6ha1.mp4

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
loving NOPE

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

That is some angry scrap metal he dropped in there.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name
Been soaking this steel in water real good boss, it'll be nice and tender for the crucible by now

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
What kind of PPE do you guys use over there at the foundry?

"Running away real fast"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Personal protective evacuation