Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Hooboy this Scarlet O'Neil arc sure is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
1980 comics
I discovered that the paper posted 9/4's Spiderman comic on 9/1, so here's the missing Monday+bonus Sunday:

Saoshyant posted:

There's also a missing strip for Monday:

P.S: this is indeed the final time we see Carole to the best of my recollection

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Legends in the Heights

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

I saw the classic Black Ball Bomb and cackled

riderchop posted:

Classic Arlo and Janis (March 08, 2001)

por favor senor NO

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I saw in a GBS thread, of all places, that Chris Browne of Hagar the Horrible recently died. Here's nice a write-up on him. Turns out the dude kind of rocked the Hagar look

https://www.dailycartoonist.com/index.php/2023/02/08/chris-browne-rip/

Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Haifisch posted:

Legends in the Heights

I actually know this song, though with love instead of brains.

Maybe it's well known, but I haven't heard it since I was a kid, and it seemed obscure even then.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (March 25, 1935)

Peanuts (February 12, 1976)

Miss Peach (July 27, 1989)

Crankshaft

The usual authorial smugness is balanced by the Weather Channel being more or less the only national outlet that names winter storm systems, and research meteorologists saying that TWC's type of vanity plate storm designation for this type of weather is an exercise in futility, even in the best case scenarios.

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (September 11, 1939)

The Thursday Olive & Popeye hasn't shown up yet. So there you are.

Out Our Way (January 13-15, 1941)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Feb 9, 2023

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Consolation prizes! :argh:

Mandrake

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Kennel posted:

Dustin

Consolation prizes! :argh:

As a parent of school-aged kids, I can't tell you how much better it is for this change and field day just becoming a big outdoor activity party vs races and all the bigger kids getting stuck on tug-of-war. That all sucked! It's better now!

The sweet little ESL girl who showed up a month ago gets as many valentines with her name on them as everyone else! So does the kid with emotional difficulties who throws chairs and nobody feels comfortable around! You know what? That kid in my daughter's class 3 years ago got his meds sorted out and is just fine now! You know what he would definitely remember? Nobody giving him a loving valentine in 2nd grade when he was going through a hard time.

Being a kid can be so hard, man. Jesus. Just be nice and let the world be loving soft for like, a few extra years.

e: I FEEL STRONGLY ABOUT THIS.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Feb 9, 2023

everyone wear hats now
Jul 29, 2010

The Creeps

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Professor Wayne posted:

I saw in a GBS thread, of all places, that Chris Browne of Hagar the Horrible recently died. Here's nice a write-up on him. Turns out the dude kind of rocked the Hagar look
So did Dik Browne!

Matter of fact, when Dik Browne played with his kids he'd often come roaring down the stairs in a mock rage and they'd scatter going "watch out, here comes Hagar the Terrible" and that's where we got the name if not the strip altogether.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

EasyEW posted:

Sally Forth

Nice of the Forths to invite Kent and Jodi from Pelican Town to their party. I guess Kent decided he could take a break from mailing bombs to the farmer down the road to attend.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Feb 9, 2023

MyronMulch
Nov 12, 2006

Huxley posted:

As a parent of school-aged kids, I can't tell you how much better it is for this change and field day just becoming a big outdoor activity party vs races and all the bigger kids getting stuck on tug-of-war. That all sucked! It's better now!

The sweet little ESL girl who showed up a month ago gets as many valentines with her name on them as everyone else! So does the kid with emotional difficulties who throws chairs and nobody feels comfortable around! You know what? That kid in my daughter's class 3 years ago got his meds sorted out and is just fine now! You know what he would definitely remember? Nobody giving him a loving valentine in 2nd grade when he was going through a hard time.

Being a kid can be so hard, man. Jesus. Just be nice and let the world be loving soft for like, a few extra years.

For reference, I grew up in suburban Pennsylvania in the early 70's adjacent to areas that later became chud epicenters, and -- big surprise -- we had to give valentine's cards to everyone back in 1972, so this notion of "they are now making us do <whatever> in 2023 not like the old days" can go gently caress right off. I was there in the old days, it was exactly the same.

MarxCarl
Jul 18, 2003

I guess this thinking was around before Seinfeld.
https://youtu.be/woJBoao4EUU

MyronMulch
Nov 12, 2006

Murdstone posted:

Mark Trail

"From Gator Cove to left field!"

An idea out of left field is an idea that is surprising and unexpected, but generally in a weird, not entirely applicable way. Like if Mark concluded that all the gators hanging around there must be due to alien visitors from outer space, yeah, that would be out of left field. Climate change is a perfectly reasonable explanation for an observed animal behavioral change. The captions are annoying because Jules is trying to be clever but the captions always miss, going right past banal and straight to nonsensical.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: Willy the Djinn

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

MyronMulch posted:

For reference, I grew up in suburban Pennsylvania in the early 70's adjacent to areas that later became chud epicenters, and -- big surprise -- we had to give valentine's cards to everyone back in 1972, so this notion of "they are now making us do <whatever> in 2023 not like the old days" can go gently caress right off. I was there in the old days, it was exactly the same.

I skimmed past Dustin until I saw Huxley's post. Similarly, I spent most of my elementary school years attending a tiny-rear end, extremely rural school, and "Everybody gives everybody else a Valentine" was the standard in my class. This was THIRTY gosh-darn YEARS AGO at a school where some of my teachers had no issue routinely introducing BIBLE STORIES into our lessons plans. Kelley is bitching about poo poo that was already the norm in the heart of MAGA Country when Operation Desert Storm was being cheered on the nightly news.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Bitching about everyone getting a Valentine seems like a spinoff of the classic "participation trophy" Boomer bogeyman. Only a completely out of touch old guy would possibly give a poo poo about something like that, which is why it's a topic in Dustin.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Haifisch posted:

1980 comics

I really don't understand how this guy thought this dinner would go after everyone found out he had a secret wife he deliberately isolated from everyone.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Haifisch posted:

The Lockhorns

I think this is literally the only time I laughed at the lockhorns this century

tiercel
Apr 22, 2008

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

It picked a fine time to leave you.

I wanted you to know that I saw this, and I appreciate it.

Unrelatedly, June calling out the jerk doctor is excellent.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

JethroMcB posted:

I skimmed past Dustin until I saw Huxley's post. Similarly, I spent most of my elementary school years attending a tiny-rear end, extremely rural school, and "Everybody gives everybody else a Valentine" was the standard in my class. This was THIRTY gosh-darn YEARS AGO at a school where some of my teachers had no issue routinely introducing BIBLE STORIES into our lessons plans. Kelley is bitching about poo poo that was already the norm in the heart of MAGA Country when Operation Desert Storm was being cheered on the nightly news.

Yep, adding one more to this. This was what we did when I was in elementary school in the late 80s.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Uramachi Sakaba

Cthulhu and Girl

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Endless Mike posted:

Yep, adding one more to this. This was what we did when I was in elementary school in the late 80s.

Early 80's Catholic Elementary School in the midwest. Also passed out valentines to everyone.

NVTrainee
Jan 3, 2020

Endless Mike posted:

As a 90's elementary school kid, this was a thing for me as well for a while.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Giant Ethicist posted:

Uramachi Sakaba

digging that calendar art

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 2/13-15/50

Archie 6/24-26/46

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Huxley posted:

You know what he would definitely remember? Nobody giving him a loving valentine in 2nd grade when he was going through a hard time.

As you should, and this is definitely true. My parents made sure my sister and I always had valentine's for everyone in the class. I was both the kid with be emotional issues (the brain damage was still pretty fresh at the time) and the fat kid, go ahead and guess how many I ever got back.
E: Texas public schooling, for the record. :smithcloud:

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Feb 10, 2023

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Solver 9: Boys Like Fun Part 1 Chekhov's gun? Charlotte's Gourd?

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Forward Slash Scare website for Allison's side comics

John Allison posted:

A crime! A crime against decorative gourds!

Four pages next week as Boys Like Fun Part 1 concludes.

Also, Georgia Dunn is doing a thing;

Georgia Dunn posted:

It’s that time of year! I’m getting ready to humbly submit ‘Breaking Cat News’ to the Reuben Awards! ✨🤞🏻✨ What was your favorite strip (or strips!) of 2022?

The rules for submission is the strip must have been published in newspapers between January 1st 2022 and December 31st 2022. I’m allowed to submit up to 8 samples of BCN in 2022 for this! What 8 strips do you think I should pick?? ❤️❤️❤️

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

I bet you anything Mary Worth has mass produced frozen muffins in her freezer that she always claims she “just baked.”

Classic (or just old or incest-y if you like) Zits

Life in Hell

Sylvia

Marlys!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

In today's slightly late Blueberry (I'm watching a stream of Laurentheflute, so sue me): ACAB; all capitalists are bastards, or Conspirators conspire..., or Will gets introduced into the torrid world of... GAMING!

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

'Canadian dunkers'?

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

"Hey, uhhhh—you guys are hearing this too, right?"

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

:lol: I love Andertoons

NVTrainee
Jan 3, 2020

Bibliotechno Music posted:

Classic (or just old or incest-y if you like) Zits

Genuine question about that classic Zits strip, could Fedex ship something before Christmas when you order on the 22nd, or is it complete hogwash?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

NVTrainee posted:

Genuine question about that classic Zits strip, could Fedex ship something before Christmas when you order on the 22nd, or is it complete hogwash?
They can barely get it to you these days even with Amazon 2-day shipping.

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

"Hey, uhhhh—you guys are hearing this too, right?"
"Huh. Well, sucks for them! Come, Hairtrigger McShooty, let us away from this place!"

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

NVTrainee posted:

Next day delivery was a thing. Hell, just before Covid, Amazon was touting same-day delivery (with a giant footnote about limited availability.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Frog-Based Wellness

Legally Sanctioned Child Endangerment Returns